Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

howe_sam posted:

It's because Matt has retired. But other than that, you're right, more roads lead through Matt than Danny.

Also, this was fun
https://twitter.com/TheLewisTan/status/891039468588683264
What could he possibly be referring to? :thunk:

I think that's kind of a dick move. Clearly theres a big difference between a rushed production like Iron Fist and a multimillion dollar film. He's just pissed he didn't get the role still.

Also the one good action scene in AB is a car chase and I'm sure as gently caress Theron isn't actually driving in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

PriorMarcus posted:

I think that's kind of a dick move. Clearly theres a big difference between a rushed production like Iron Fist and a multimillion dollar film. He's just pissed he didn't get the role still.

Also the one good action scene in AB is a car chase and I'm sure as gently caress Theron isn't actually driving in it.

Pretty much.
There is a good reason why most actors don't poo poo on their past jobs and co-actors publicly.
You look like hard to work with and lose future opportunities.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

The stairwell fight is the best action scene. The car chase is just a minor capper that ends that scene.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
This thread is full of hyperbole about Iron Fist.

Good job, I guess.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

adhuin posted:

Pretty much.
There is a good reason why most actors don't poo poo on their past jobs and co-actors publicly.
You look like hard to work with and lose future opportunities.

He's all but confirmed on Twitter that he's back next season, so this is super dumb.

Hell, even if he's not he's back, he's still making GBS threads where he eats. The only reason he's got a name as an actor is because Iron Fist had a poor reputation. If the show had been better, he'd not be getting nearly the same level of attention.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

He's not even that bad of an actor. I mean he's not interesting to watch, but at least he's capable of acting unlike Mike Colter who couldn't bring a single ounce of gravitas to any of his lines.

Remember loving "you let me be inside you"

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 29, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

He's not even that bad of an actor. I mean he's not interesting to watch, but at least he's capable of acting unlike Mike Colter who couldn't bring a single ounce of gravitas to any of his lines.

I wouldn't blame Colter for that terrible line. That's on the writers, I can't imagine any delivery that wouldn't just be awful in some way or another.. and directing is literally my job. 😂😂

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hakkesshu posted:

Nobody's gonna call Colter the next Meryl Streep, but he's not that bad. He at least managed to correctly portray the emotions he was supposed to be feeling in a given scene. Compare that to Finn Jones, who just seemed petulant every time he was supposed to be angry.

Colter was handicapped by the fact that in his own show Cottonmouth and Black Mariah had more interesting stories and fantastic actors.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Koalas March posted:

I wouldn't blame Colter for that terrible line. That's on the writers, I can't imagine any delivery that wouldn't just be awful in some way or another.. and directing is literally my job. 😂😂

Seriously. You could have given that line to Freeman, Jones, or even Walken and it wouldn't matter. Nobody could make it sound any less poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Nobody's gonna call Colter the next Meryl Streep, but he's not that bad. He at least managed to correctly portray the emotions he was supposed to be feeling in a given scene. Compare that to Finn Jones, who just seemed petulant every time he was supposed to be angry.

Colter was handicapped by the fact that in his own show Cottonmouth and Black Mariah had more interesting stories and fantastic actors.

Cottonmouth I'll give you, but I didn't care for Black Mariah.

I quite liked Luke Cage himself in his series. Felt like they got exactly what they wanted - a quiet, reserved guy who just wants to be left alone and doesn't want to be a hero but cares too much about his community.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Skippy McPants posted:

Seriously. You could have given that line to Freeman, Jones, or even Walken and it wouldn't matter. Nobody could make it sound any less poo poo.

actually I'm pretty sure Walken is the only human alive who could make that line bearable, and only because it would be hilarious

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

actually I'm pretty sure Walken is the only human alive who could make that line bearable, and only because it would be hilarious

Sam Jackson though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Finally watching Iron Fist because a) I hate myself and b) I have a lot of data entry for work to do, and need something mindless to watch in the background.

The first two episodes are atrocious across the board. But episode three perks up, and might as well be the pilot.

What caused this sudden upswing? I had to look it up and confirm, but its the first episode not written by Scott Buck.

How that man gets work baffles me.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Narcissus1916 posted:

Finally watching Iron Fist because a) I hate myself and b) I have a lot of data entry for work to do, and need something mindless to watch in the background.

The first two episodes are atrocious across the board. But episode three perks up, and might as well be the pilot.

What caused this sudden upswing? I had to look it up and confirm, but its the first episode not written by Scott Buck.

And they thought he did such a good job with Iron Fist, they gave him Inhumans, too! :shepicide:

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'll stick up for the doctor in episode 2. Him being genuinely on the up-and-up was at least slightly interesting to watch.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its incredible how unlikable Danny Rand is. And well most of that is on Finn Jones, its not like he's given a ton to work with.

Danny's childlike glee would be more believable if he had been swiped as a toddler, not as an adolescent. He's just repeatedly an entitled twat, and I don't think the show has any awareness of it.

Like how he wants Rand Industries to sell a medication at cost. Fighting price gouging is great, but bankrupting the company is not. They even have a board member mention that a good chunk of profits go towards new research, but Danny just sashays in like a shithead and then leaves.

The biggest issue is that I have NO IDEA why he actually returned to New York. I thought he was sent there to fight The Hand, but when he first hears about them he's apparently surprised they exist at all. So he just like.... showed up? To... run his Dad's company? And.... forget his Iron Fisting?

Its just weird, man.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Narcissus1916 posted:

It's just like comics in that way. You'll be following a cool storyline and suddenly the art in the next issue looks like the penciler has no idea what human faces look like and the inker makes a character look like she's balding and uses a bunch of parallel lines to fake a shadow effect because they can't actually do shading very well.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Danny Rand is about as unlikable as you would expect someone to be if they were raised by ultra-rich parents, then ended up as the sole survivor of a plane crash at age 10 and got torturedtrained by monks in the Himalayas, got their brain filled up with chi nonsense, then returned to NYC 15 years later. Like, he sells that "clueless, sheltered rich kid who spent a decade backpacking in Asia and now thinks he is the wisest person in the room" part really well, intentionally or not.

That said, I liked Iron Fist mostly because of the Maechums. For some reason I found their family drama extremely intriguing. David Wenham especially is one hell of an actor, and the way Harold rises from the dead and walks around the park dazed and confused and very slowly regains his humanity was easily the highlight of the show for me.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I just watched the first 8 or so episodes of Iron Fist this weekend, and... ehhh. It's not horrible, the acting is generally good, the fight choreography is very good, and it has the same high production standards as all the Marvel Netflix shows. But the writing.... ugghhhh. Danny pretty much just flails around randomly. And, so many plot holes. Like when he takes the Lexus to the warehouses. He was in a monastery from the age of ten, where did he learn to drive? When he decides to fly off to China, he takes a Rand corporate jet... knowing that Gao has spies all over the company??

enraged_camel posted:

That said, I liked Iron Fist mostly because of the Maechums. For some reason I found their family drama extremely intriguing. David Wenham especially is one hell of an actor, and the way Harold rises from the dead and walks around the park dazed and confused and very slowly regains his humanity was easily the highlight of the show for me.

Rofl, I didn't get this far yet, but I thought this was going to happen.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Given how much of Iron Fist was apparently getting hosed around behind the scenes I always assumed that they hired him because he could deliver the series on time and under budget.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kegslayer posted:

Given how much of Iron Fist was apparently getting hosed around behind the scenes I always assumed that they hired him because he could deliver the series on time and under budget.

Marvel likes to hire directors that will listen to orders, as far as I can tell. The movies/shows with a distinct voice are the exceptions that prove the rule.

The Netflix shows, at least, were mostly distinct in their first seasons, for better or worse, with DD, JJ and LC. Daredevil season two, though, while still good was lacking and a lot of it felt like the new show runners just following the mold DeKnight left.

Iron Fist came after the middling Daredevil season, and it just feels to me like they realized Defenders had to happen soon, and rushed it out because it had been taking too long. Either because nobody was coming to them with any good pitches, other production issues, or maybe just because they didn't really care.

I liked Iron Fist, but it had a lot of stupid problems and I don't plan on watching it again. As for Finn Jones, I think he could do just fine if working with people who actually give a gently caress about the property and want it to be good. Like IF is hosed if they don't change show runners, imo.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Iron Fist would've been a lot better if someone would call Danny on his poo poo. But no one does until Devos. In fact people just fall all over themselves talking about how awesome Danny is. That's why Devos is such a breath of fresh air. But he doesn't show up until the show is almost over.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Iron Fist wasn't as good as the other shows, but I never found Danny that unlikeable. He has a certain idiot charm.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Like how he wants Rand Industries to sell a medication at cost. Fighting price gouging is great, but bankrupting the company is not. They even have a board member mention that a good chunk of profits go towards new research, but Danny just sashays in like a shithead and then leaves.

"Profits go to fund new research" is just the standard defence of privatised for profit healthcare. Danny is completely right to be against it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

marktheando posted:

Iron Fist wasn't as good as the other shows, but I never found Danny that unlikeable. He has a certain idiot charm.

"Profits go to fund new research" is just the standard defence of privatised for profit healthcare. Danny is completely right to be against it.

Don't forget that high drug prices are justified by massive marketing budgets! :v:

Finn Jones is fine, he's playing the character as written. He's still mid-origin story. A pacing problem, perhaps.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Narcissus1916 posted:

The biggest issue is that I have NO IDEA why he actually returned to New York. I thought he was sent there to fight The Hand, but when he first hears about them he's apparently surprised they exist at all. So he just like.... showed up? To... run his Dad's company? And.... forget his Iron Fisting?

Its just weird, man.

He returned to New York because for the first time since he'd been at Kun Lun the path home was open. He went for the Iron Fist because he thought it would be a more fulfilling life, but he got disillusioned pretty quick with what is essentially sentry duty. They make a big point about how he abandoned his post and betrayed everyone there by leaving, but in the end he couldn't resist taking the rare chance to go home. It's pretty simple.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

Danny Rand is about as unlikable as you would expect someone to be if they were raised by ultra-rich parents, then ended up as the sole survivor of a plane crash at age 10 and got torturedtrained by monks in the Himalayas, got their brain filled up with chi nonsense, then returned to NYC 15 years later. Like, he sells that "clueless, sheltered rich kid who spent a decade backpacking in Asia and now thinks he is the wisest person in the room" part really well, intentionally or not.

But he talked about stealing donkey carts to go to town, and underground fight clubs. Kun Lun, apparently, isn't just a monastery, it's an actual city full of non-monks, and Danny interacted with them. Yeah, Danny should be weird from his weird life, and it would make sense for him to have trouble adjusting to being by himself in a modern city. But what we know of his backstory doesn't justify the level of child-like idiocy he displayed early on in the show.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There are dumber people in real life.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ShakeZula posted:

He returned to New York because for the first time since he'd been at Kun Lun the path home was open. He went for the Iron Fist because he thought it would be a more fulfilling life, but he got disillusioned pretty quick with what is essentially sentry duty. They make a big point about how he abandoned his post and betrayed everyone there by leaving, but in the end he couldn't resist taking the rare chance to go home. It's pretty simple.

Danny Rand decided to try to be Iron Fist because he thought it would be a more fulfilling life. It wasn't, so he decided to try to run the Rand Corporation, because he thought it would be a more fulfilling life. It wasn't, so he decided to try to beat the Hand, because he thought it would make either of the previous two things he'd already hosed up better. It didn't.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I thought he said that he thought he could never be the Iron First, but it chose him.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

I thought he said that he thought he could never be the Iron First, but it chose him.

The show really sucks at explaining character motivations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

homullus posted:

Danny Rand decided to try to be Iron Fist because he thought it would be a more fulfilling life. It wasn't, so he decided to try to run the Rand Corporation, because he thought it would be a more fulfilling life. It wasn't, so he decided to try to beat the Hand, because he thought it would make either of the previous two things he'd already hosed up better. It didn't.

Presumably, becoming the Iron Fist required years of training and also fighting a dragon. He did all of that and found it unfulfilling, fine. But then he becomes head of Rand, fucks up immediately but refuses to learn anything or listen to anyone, and just continues to gently caress up and ignore everyone else. All the while enjoying the perks of a massive apartment, expensive food, expensive car, and forcing a woman to interact with him by becoming her landlord.

Danny wants to become the head of Rand because it was his father's company, he never acts like it's to give him a purpose or meaning in life. He cared about having the company, not running the company or the company itself.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Iron Fist bad y'all

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maybe we were actually just watching it the wrong way the whole time.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

marktheando posted:

Maybe so, but he's fixing the problem in the dumbest most oversimplified way possible.

Then again him and his friends somehow got ousted from a company they collectively own 100% of, so what should I expect.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Maybe we were actually just watching it the wrong way the whole time.

We didn't choose to watch the show, the show chose to watch us

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy Goodbody posted:

Presumably, becoming the Iron Fist required years of training and also fighting a dragon. He did all of that and found it unfulfilling, fine. But then he becomes head of Rand, fucks up immediately but refuses to learn anything or listen to anyone, and just continues to gently caress up and ignore everyone else. All the while enjoying the perks of a massive apartment, expensive food, expensive car, and forcing a woman to interact with him by becoming her landlord.

Danny wants to become the head of Rand because it was his father's company, he never acts like it's to give him a purpose or meaning in life. He cared about having the company, not running the company or the company itself.

So much of Danny's drives, motivations, and failures seem like they're just inches from having an actual through line of Buddhist philosophy leading to Danny's growth. Then they just shrug their shoulders and push on with fortune cookie wisdom drops at inappropriate times and a refusal to learn anything.

I have a feeling that at one point they had a decent outline that actually did something with the extremely rough sketch parallel of Danny and Buddha's lives, but 10 to 12 rewrites later all that was left was plots that almost got in the vicinity of a point and an insistence on dropping ancient Chinese bons mots.

It didn't help that it's pretty clear that they realized that watching Kung Fu: The Series might help them understand a foundational aspect of the character, but they didn't feel like they had the time to watch it. So they asked their Uncle to summarize it for them, and he told them all about Kung Fu: The Legend Continues.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Some big things about Rand's character which are portrayed but not written or acted well is the fact that while Rand left the real world in tragedy, he was still completely sheltered and privileged in that world. He left that life with an idealized version of it.

When he was rescued, he was immediately thrown into training to be some mystical warrior. He never had a chance to work through losing his parents.

So he throws himself into training and has one goal: to be the best. Surprise, he reaches the highest he can attain and he's unfulfilled.

Turns out that monks who preach spirituality didn't really give much of a gently caress about helping him except when it comes to how to fight the Hand.

He takes the first out he can and goes into the real world naive (because he left the real world not experiencing any evil), petulant (he comes from a world of privilege) and idealistic (monks be preachin' poo poo all day) as gently caress.

Then, another shocker, Danny has anger management issues because 1. He never got over his parents dying 2. Monks only trained him to fight the Hand 3. You can be humble around monks but you expect people to treat you with respect since you're dead rich guy's son. So he freaks the gently caress out when people he cared for back in the day are loving him over and finds out the world is full of assholes who don't give a poo poo about him.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
No, they need to tell, not show this.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Are there any good comprehensive accounts of just how cocked up Iron Fist's production was? I know Jones has talked about having fifteen minutes to learn choreography, but what caused the mess in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

Are there any good comprehensive accounts of just how cocked up Iron Fist's production was? I know Jones has talked about having fifteen minutes to learn choreography, but what caused the mess in the first place?

I know they didn't cast him until like a month before shooting started.