Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Okay, I finally decided to look it up. While the strip has had the trip storyline going for a while, they've been at the park itself all month and probably will be til August. There's some deep cuts in there too, like remarking that the "Varan Parking Lot" is a pretty lesser known reference, and the daughter is a little surprised that Mechani-Kong is even a thing while looking up the various rides at the park.

They also spend a whole week waiting in line at Ebirah's Deep Sea Ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
so I just found out there was a show called Godzilla Island that uses Godzilla action figures instead of dudes in suits. Like, not even in stop motion. Just a dude bashing two action figures together for a TV show. I love it.

Also according to wikipedia there is a sentient ball-shaped cactus monster and Hyper-Mecha King Ghidorah.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's also "Goji-land", a cartoon for little kids with super cutified versions of Godzilla and other Kaiju, and episodes are about things like counting and shapes and so on, and at the start of each one there's a live action segment with a friendly suitmation Godzilla and a woman host.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Unlocked: Monarch Classified File #63061 – Temple of the Moth, Yucca Province – E. Russell #MonarchSighting

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmoa13TG2TY

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Vintersorg posted:

Unlocked: Monarch Classified File #63061 – Temple of the Moth, Yucca Province – E. Russell #MonarchSighting

Where was "yucca province" supposed to be again?

edit: I just looked back at the blurb from the teaser and it says Yunnan - a real place. I think someone got autocorrected on the promotional image lmbo

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

DeimosRising posted:

Where was "yucca province" supposed to be again?

edit: I just looked back at the blurb from the teaser and it says Yunnan - a real place. I think someone got autocorrected on the promotional image lmbo

yup

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/tokyofashion/status/890962367659495424
This is stupid and unwieldy but I want it will all my heart.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/figsoku/status/890833851882233856

Figuarts is making a figure of the animated Godzilla.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope that's unpainted

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Where is Kong Bandai... I need Kong!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Fsmhunk posted:

Where is Kong Bandai... I need Kong!

Lanard is apparently who has the Kong toys

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

I wish I could read Japanese, because I really want to hear the explanation for why Godzilla has an organ in his calf

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Low Desert Punk posted:

I wish I could read Japanese, because I really want to hear the explanation for why Godzilla has an organ in his calf
It's a "Uranium liquid bag."

v:downs:v

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

does anyone know if the blu-ray/dvd release coming out on Amazon tomorrow has original japanese with english subs on it? not sure if it comes with that option.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

does anyone know if the blu-ray/dvd release coming out on Amazon tomorrow has original japanese with english subs on it? not sure if it comes with that option.

Dunno. I'll be checking it out. I'll probably end up watching it a couple times this week. My dad wants to see it so I'll end up bringing it over and he'll probably wanna watch it dubbed. I don't normally like dubs in live action movies, but I'm curious how they'll handle the bilingual speaking parts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So, as someone who thought Godzilla 14 was good enough to own on blu ray, and also just bought Kong on day 1, is Shin Godzilla something I should definitely be grabbing right away as a blind-buy? I mean, is there any way a giant monster movie fan would be disappointed by it? Anything I should be warned about before I spend the $25?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shin is very different than Godzilla 2014, but yes yes a thousand times yes. Buy it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There is zero reason not to get it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's drat near a perfect film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea ok, message received. I only bring up Godzilla 14 as like a baseline of quality where anything at the same level or better would definitely be a day-1 buy for me. I thought Kong was better, for example.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Yea ok, message received. I only bring up Godzilla 14 as like a baseline of quality where anything at the same level or better would definitely be a day-1 buy for me. I thought Kong was better, for example.

Here's the thing

Go into it expecting a movie closer to 1954 and Return of Godzilla 1984.

Those are the only ones that are comparable. Shin is a purely stand alone Godzilla only affair.

Shin and 1984 are actually weird mirrors of one another. They deal with very similar themes in very different ways but are equally as good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Here's the thing

Go into it expecting a movie closer to 1954 and Return of Godzilla 1984.

Those are the only ones that are comparable. Shin is a purely stand alone Godzilla only affair.

Shin and 1984 are actually weird mirrors of one another. They deal with very similar themes in very different ways but are equally as good.

Yea, I've done a good job of staying unspoiled on the movie but I was aware that this is more of a solo Godzilla movie and not an all-out monsterfest.

I just rewatched the original last month so I'm primed for it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shin Godzilla is my favorite episode of The West Wing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Now I'm picturing the famous photo of Bush in the classroom but about a Godzilla monster instead of 9/11.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

If you're talking about the American Funimation release, it'll have it. They're good about dual audio.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

if you love Godzilla then Shin Godzilla is absolutely a must-watch

Waffleman_ posted:

If you're talking about the American Funimation release, it'll have it. They're good about dual audio.

Thanks!

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I read somewhere there were two cuts of Shin Godzilla, with one being truncated for Western audiences. Is the Blu-ray confirmed to be the full cut?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lord Krangdar posted:

I read somewhere there were two cuts of Shin Godzilla, with one being truncated for Western audiences. Is the Blu-ray confirmed to be the full cut?

I've heard that a truncated cut of the film exists, but I don't think it had anything to do with the Western audience.

At least, the cut I saw in theater (Syracuse, NY) contained every scene that was supposedly removed.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Schwarzwald posted:

I've heard that a truncated cut of the film exists, but I don't think it had anything to do with the Western audience.

At least, the cut I saw in theater (Syracuse, NY) contained every scene that was supposedly removed.

Oh, I thought the shorter cut removed the parts that most heavily referenced Japanese politics (which is nuts because that's the topic of the whole film).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lord Krangdar posted:

Oh, I thought the shorter cut removed the parts that most heavily referenced Japanese politics (which is nuts because that's the topic of the whole film).

From what I understand most the omitted scenes were mostly politics, however this wasn't for the benefit of Western audiences but to make the film short enough to run during an airplane trip.

If you saw the scene where the Prime Minister complains about his noodles, you watched the full cut.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I dl'd some early release of the shorter edited version and it practically ruins the film. It was as though they thought you know TNT will want to show this on repeat so we better cut it down to 100 minutes to fit in 2.5 hours of broadcast time. I really hope no one ever has to see that version first, it ruins the pacing, and removes a lot of the valuable and important political scenes as well as excising some of the character relationships you need for the end game.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I was so happy to be proven wrong about Shin Godzilla. I was a big curmudgeon because I didn't like the new design, but it works so well in the context of the full movie. How many Godzilla designs are actually relevant and change according to the story, anyway? MogeGoji from Destroyah and SokogekiGoji from GMK are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

I love this guy so much :allears:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cant wait to watch this again. I didn't want to download that chopped up version. I hope the US version has good extras.

The Kong commentary with Jordan Vogt-Roberts is amazing! He goes into so much detail about things and even talks through the credits. I was sad when it ends as he literally goes right past the stinger too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The US version doesn't really have much in the way of extras, sadly. You could theoretically import the Australian release, which does have extras, but while I like extras, it's honestly not enough of a dealbreaker to go to that expense. They'll probably pop up on Youtube eventually anyway.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
The extras are not really anything special on the Australian release unless you have some huge love of rendering footage.

e: you do get just over an hours worth of it though

Box wine fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 1, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Got my copy~!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Waffleman_ posted:

Got my copy~!

Not me. Thanks Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Not me. Thanks Amazon.

Never doubt the power of "I'll just go to Best Buy after work."