Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
New MBMBaM ep's up.

http://www.maximumfun.org/my-brother-my-brother-and-me/one-guy-one-guy-and-chicken-place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

SpacePig posted:

It was the phrasing, not the content. It's one thing to say "I hope they go back to just slaying monsters in the next show" and "I hope the next series goes back to being funny". It's not that it's wrong, or not a "thread approved opinion", it's that it always starts an argument. And now I've started an argument about stuff that starts arguments and I'm sorry.

The key word as I read it was "just." They hope that the show goes back to just killing gerblins and being funny, as opposed to now, when there is storytelling and drama mixed in with the comedy. It really is a fine thing to hope for.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Ariong posted:

The key word as I read it was "just." They hope that the show goes back to just killing gerblins and being funny, as opposed to now, when there is storytelling and drama mixed in with the comedy. It really is a fine thing to hope for.

Alright, fair enough. I've used the just modifier as an excuse before, so whatever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it felt like they were responding to a simple reminder with an unwarranted THE SHOW SUCKS NOW and we've just had that conversation too many times.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

mcvey posted:

For their next go around I hope they go back to the style they had at the beginning of TAZ when they were just beating up goblins and being funny.

Waffleman_ posted:

Shut the gently caress up and don't try to stir poo poo.

Yes, this is very much in the spirit of MBMBaM's good humour.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm sorry for snapping, okay? Can we drop it?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's okay, I forgive you :)

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I haven't read the thread since it was consolidated so I haven't kept up on what has or hasn't been talked about recently, I just thought I'd throw out my opinion on the show going forward. I didn't think it would trigger anybody, my bad.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

mcvey posted:

I haven't read the thread since it was consolidated so I haven't kept up on what has or hasn't been talked about recently, I just thought I'd throw out my opinion on the show going forward. I didn't think it would trigger anybody, my bad.

probably the right call tbh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You could also stop using the word trigger like that, that would also be cool.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah being triggered is a legitimate thing whereas that was someone blowing up at an innocuous comment for no real reason.

Edit: So I'm not just being a jerk, I really hope they go with the superhero idea they've been batting around. I could see them doing a slightly better job of mixing the drama and goofs with that sort of world. Also whoever is the DM could have a ball playing villains.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 31, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah that's pretty whack. Anyway it's not really your fault, some people get really pumped up about TAZ. Just goes to show how much it means to folks I guess.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Although stakes and drama are good, they get exhausting after a while and sometimes it's just really nice to explore a new creative space for the first time.

Specifically with fantasy and end-of-the-world stuff, I'm reminded of the more-interminable-than-their-author Wheel of Time books.

While I'm eager to hear the resolution of this overall arc, it's going to be fun to have the McElboys + Clint freed of all baggage for a few eps.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The meh feels I got during Justin's review of 'Moji were amazeballs.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The D&D podcast is very, very important to people.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Kenny Logins posted:

Although stakes and drama are good, they get exhausting after a while and sometimes it's just really nice to explore a new creative space for the first time.

Specifically with fantasy and end-of-the-world stuff, I'm reminded of the more-interminable-than-their-author Wheel of Time books.

While I'm eager to hear the resolution of this overall arc, it's going to be fun to have the McElboys + Clint freed of all baggage for a few eps.

I get this. Stolen Century was a slog to listen to most of the time, but ended up leading to something pretty interesting story-wise. They're at a point now where jokes and gags are going to be at a premium while Griffin's big 3 years story comes to a close, so I get where mcvey is coming from, for sure. But honestly, some of the best stuff in the show, outside of them actively trying to make goofs and poo poo, are the clever ways in which Travis has learned to make his fights interesting without having the boon of spellcasting, the crazy spells that Justin breaks out to catch Griffin unawares, and Clint fumbling through powerful stuff and accidentally being pretty good at it.

I honestly don't know what I want from the next series. Less mechanics focus would mean more room for jokes, I guess, but more chance at a Stolen Century style semi-set story. More mechanics based could make for wilder battles and stuff, but not a whole lot of room for characterization. Whatever they do, I will listen to it, and if history has taught me anything about these boys, I will like it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I want them to play Paranoia with Justin as DM and end this family for good.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Fans posted:

This would be fantastic. Paranoia has such a good setting for them to goof around in.

Also I think the possible superhero game was supposed to have Clint DMing? That should be interesting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fuckin' Andy McElroy.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Man it WOULD be pretty fun to see what villains whoever is DM comes up with. All we seem to know for sure is that Justin will NOT be DMing, according to him.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I love Clint but I bet him DMing would be mad frustrating

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Fuckin' Andy McElroy.

I can't believe he didn't sign off as Andy Mac

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Andy's amiibo Area

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TAZ won't be coming out today.

Also the episode is 2 hours.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Colonel Whitey posted:

I love Clint but I bet him DMing would be mad frustrating

If he understood how the system worked and had a type of setting he enjoyed, he could probably be pretty good. Or if maybe he had someone to handle the active DM stuff for a campaign he wrote or something. But yeah, as it is now, Clint probably wouldn't be great, and Justin has no interest in mastering, so it's Griffin, Travis, or a 3rd party next time.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I have it on good authority Nick Robinson is DMing the next game and its going to be Terrace House.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Reading the responses to Griffin's announcement reminded me how skeeved I am by people calling him by his childhood nickname. I feel like it's pretty clearly what his family calls him and if I were him I'd kinda recoil at strangers acting so familiar with him. But maybe that's just me.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

It really does sound like they want to end on episode 69, which is too nice for words.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Reading the responses to Griffin's announcement reminded me how skeeved I am by people calling him by his childhood nickname. I feel like it's pretty clearly what his family calls him and if I were him I'd kinda recoil at strangers acting so familiar with him. But maybe that's just me.

It's not just you. It's weird and I seriously doubt anyone at this point doesn't know it's a family nickname.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Waffleman_ posted:

"It is the sound of Ultimate Despair."

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Fans posted:

Paranoia has great potential to be hilarious, but the brothers might be too soft-boy for it to work out well. Paranoia requires a certain level of ruthlessness on the part of the DM and buy-in from the players on sabotaging other party members.

Regardless of what they play, I'll be happy when they switch to something new. TAZ is still really good, but I'll be happy to get more of the rapid-fire joke-em-ups and less of Griffin's navel-gazing about the nature of goodbyes and extended scenes of role-playing with himself.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 31, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nZwWaYdFAU

Amazing.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Holy poo poo, was not expecting a Penny Arcade forums reference to pop up in the Moneyzone of all places.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I know it's been said tons but holy poo poo was Polygon realizing they work best as a comedy website that happens to involve gaming the best thing for them.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

I'M GARFIELD, THE DEALS TEEN

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Snooze Cruise posted:

I have it on good authority Nick Robinson is DMing the next game and its going to be Terrace House.

He never updates terrace house mafia and that makes me unreasonably mad

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
That jumbotron for the movie website had me cracking up so hard, god what a cold move

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Simon body, Garfield voice.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So is that wine place that was on the moneyzone today on its third name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
for the longest time, whenever they namedropped terrace house, i thought they were saying "terrence house", and i really wanted to know who terrence was