Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog
hell yeah Dodgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Lucas Sims being called up by the Braves to make his first start tomorrow against...the Dodgers. Good luck kid.

Nothing like getting swept by a bad Phillies team and then not selling any of your flippable pieces. Glad we can spend the rest of the year with Freddie out of position and Dansby in AAA.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Teams wouldn't give us their elite pieces for our scraps

:tif:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The worst part about the Darvish trade is only getting one pitcher in the deal.

You can find hitters. Maybe not masterclass hitters, but there are plenty of people who can hit the ball. The Texas Rangers organization desperately needs more pitchers. And they got one for Yu Darvish. Jon Daniels, everybody.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Shinjobi posted:

The worst part about the Darvish trade is only getting one pitcher in the deal.

You can find hitters. Maybe not masterclass hitters, but there are plenty of people who can hit the ball. The Texas Rangers organization desperately needs more pitchers. And they got one for Yu Darvish. Jon Daniels, everybody.

TINSTAAPP.

They got a decent return - certainly something better than a comp pick, for giving up 2 months of a guy who wasn't going to carry us to the playoffs on his back.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Teams wouldn't give us their elite pieces for our scraps

:tif:

Fly the W(e tried)

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Looking forward to Quintana beating Darvish for the pennant in game 6 of the NLCS. :getin:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Looking forward to Quintana beating Darvish for the pennant in game 6 of the NLCS. :getin:

I don't like that matchup-- the Cubs should get Joe Saunders to start the game if they want a chance.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
An Astros/Dodgers WS would be nice. Just to rub the Rangers nose in it.

Sigh, gonna go to work now and let other stuff get me down instead.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm listening to LA sports radio right now talk about how maybe the Dodgers should have traded for Verlander instead of Darvish because of their postseason numbers.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros this trade deadline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDkukdZjY3s

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

cubs have the lhp to take down the dodgers. but the cubs' hitters against kershaw, darvish, wood, and the bullpen?

anything can happen in a 7-game series, but advantage la

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

My last post on this trade deadline. "We got a 16 1/2 game lead!"

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/892124075660849153

Gregerson yelled it out apparently. Lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

cubs have the lhp to take down the dodgers. but the cubs' hitters against kershaw, darvish, wood, and the bullpen?

Dodgers have an NL-best 114 wRC+ vs LHP this year.

Also, how could a Cubs fan of all people forget about Rich Hill?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Abel Wingnut posted:

Kershaw can't beat the NL Central in October.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Seemingly lost in the deadline trades news, but noted poo poo bag Pete Rose was a bigger poo poo bag than previously known.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20208447/woman-accuses-pete-rose-statutory-rape

Rose sued John Dowd for defamation last year for claiming Rose had committed statutory rape in the 70s. As a part of his defense:

quote:

A sworn statement by an unidentified woman, contained in a motion filed Monday in John Dowd's defense against Pete Rose's defamation lawsuit, alleges that Rose had a sexual relationship with the woman for several years in the 1970s, beginning before she turned 16.

And the sex part isn't being denied - just that Pete thought she was 16 at the time.

quote:

Rose acknowledged he had a sexual relationship with the woman in court documents made public Monday, but he said his information and belief was that it started when she was 16. He was 34, married and the father of two children in 1975, when he says he began having sex with the woman, referred to in the filing as "Jane Doe." Rose said he does not recall how long the relationship lasted.

When your defense is "Sure I was 34 and married, but it was legal since she was 16."

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

So Atkins and Shapiro suck. Got it.

Yes, but this trade was fine. Joe Smith is not coming back next season and the Jays are cooked for the year.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Lance McCullers back on the DL because his back is bothering him (would explain why he's been so lovely lately). So glad we didn't make a play for another high end SP.

Houston sports baby!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

bawfuls posted:

Dodgers have an NL-best 114 wRC+ vs LHP this year.

Also, how could a Cubs fan of all people forget about Rich Hill?

i figured he'd head to the bullpen

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Abel Wingnut posted:

Oh yeah absolutely the Dodgers would be favored against any team in the postseason, but I gotta say it's nice not being the team with the best regular season record and the long championship drought anymore. The crushing pressure of expectations for the Cubs to do well in the postseason last year is now on the Dodgers this year.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
I'm sad about losing Darvish, but at least the rangers got something for him instead of waiting for him to walk at the end of the year. There was no way he was coming back anyway.

It is far funnier to me that they traded lucroy for basically nothing. That deal worked out real well :barf:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Glad to see Darvish going somewhere. Gonna have to bandwagon now. Sorry, Cubs.

I'm still not sure what to make of the Twins giving up Kintzler.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Friedman and Zaidi, you goddamn wizards :love:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

Glad to see Darvish going somewhere. Gonna have to bandwagon now. Sorry, Cubs.

I'm still not sure what to make of the Twins giving up Kintzler.

"Cool, we got something for a guy that's a free agent at the end of the year and might just re-sign with us in the offseason anyways"

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

JoeRules posted:

TINSTAAPP.

They got a decent return - certainly something better than a comp pick, for giving up 2 months of a guy who wasn't going to carry us to the playoffs on his back.

Yup. We got a good, but not great return. The market just wasn't that big this year. poo poo look at what the Yankees gave up for 2 years of Gray. Calhoun should plug in the lineup next year (and possibly later this year) and Alexy is probably our 3rd best SP prospect now. Not a bad trade by any means.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

i figured he'd head to the bullpen
Hill has been excellent for about the past month. A big part of the reason the Dodgers traded for Darvish is so that Kershaw doesn't have to pitch on short rest in October. It will be Kersh/Yu/Wood/Hill. Not sure which of McCarthy/Maeda/Ryu will be in the bullpen, but at least one of them will probably not make the postseason roster, which is kind of nuts.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I'm not surprised the Cardinals did nothing, but I sure am pissed about it.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
My guess is Maeda in the pen, McCarthy injures/pitches himself off the roster, Ryu swingman

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Hill has been excellent for about the past month. A big part of the reason the Dodgers traded for Darvish is so that Kershaw doesn't have to pitch on short rest in October. It will be Kersh/Yu/Wood/Hill. Not sure which of McCarthy/Maeda/Ryu will be in the bullpen, but at least one of them will probably not make the postseason roster, which is kind of nuts.

Maybe Ryu to the bullpen if Watson or Cingrani don't pan out?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Reminder that Ryu threw 7 shutout innings last night. This team has lots of options.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

Cubs will break every record imaginable for strikeouts in a series.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Reminder that Ryu threw 7 shutout innings last night. This team has lots of options.

I don't think the Giants offense is exactly a balanced measuring stick in regards to pitcher success.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I'm not surprised the Cardinals did nothing, but I sure am pissed about it.

Here to make you feel worse.

quote:

Matheny said of his players that talked ahead of him at Christian Day, “For them to share something that isn’t politically correct anymore, something that isn’t publicly acceptable, for them to stand up here and to share … takes a great amount of courage.”

https://www.outsports.com/2017/7/31/16067272/st-louis-cardinals-christian-day-lgbt-lance-berkman

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The term politically correct needs to become not politically correct to use anymore.

Also, shut up Matheny.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Curious who exactly Astros fans wanted them to trade for? Did you want Jeff Samardzija or Lance Lynn that bad?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

The Pussy Boss posted:

Curious who exactly Astros fans wanted them to trade for? Did you want Jeff Samardzija or Lance Lynn that bad?

maybe wacha or straily? no idea. but yea, the astros are still in fine shape

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Darvish, Gray, Britton, Garcia, pretty much anyone who could bolster our pitching staff. Our starters have been injury-prone and our bullpen is gassed and full of mediocrity. I'm not fully cubsposting, we'll obviously take the division but the postseason scares the piss out of me now. Would have been nice to grab another starter if some kind.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be a lot of pitchers available that will pass through waivers. Marco Estrada for example.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

There are many things that annoy me about Cardinals culture. The Jesus freak thing is #1. gently caress you Matheny, you're even more brain damaged than I joke about if you think Christians are a persecuted minority, particularly in the St. Louis area. Tell that to me circa grade school getting beaten up for not going to church or my Muslim brother in law being yelled at to "go back to his country" when he and my sister visit my hometown. I actually just got into a pretty heated discussion with a fan down there when they asked me why I didn't like Berkman earlier this month and I mentioned the bigotry. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Shapiro and Atkins are trying to distract the Jays fanbase by making us remember the time Aoki got nailed in the dick by a foul ball at the rogers centre.

I'll accept that.

• Locked thread