Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Well, My game is pushed to the awfuljams page, it's final and I'm just sweating bullets now, please make sure I still have fingernails in a few days. I wanted to try to keep this under wraps because I didn't want people to be too tame to the idea before it came out.

Wait I mean

Hello, this is Forer, I am the man making the Mehrio game. Please play my game as it is a fun romp through the world of the Fungus Land, is a unique Muria experience. See the spots and save the princess through six heart levels. Desperate death. Now has full color, suitable for 4 3 monitors. Do not guarantee implied or bear. No bugs at all.

no bugs

Edit: Actually let's have an itch setup, never did that before
https://forer.itch.io/mehriah

Forer fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I played it but I don't want to say anything and ruin anyone's impressions, but i did like the last level a lot

Heres my Saturday night:
https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/891421747995660290

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/891432786309128193

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
The high seas are a rough place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoDh5B9qFws

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I've been up busier than expected so being able to use the 1st is really going to come in handy. I'm definitely gonna have to cut out a few games though, namely Ironman vs The Naruto (it was going to involve a Megaman recolor fighting a Goku recolor) and maybe Gameball 98. Choose You Own Avemnture might be out too...
That aside, I'm not sure whether I should keep expanding on the playable minigames or keep it short so everyone can see the whole game on the Gong Show.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
Ah, it's that time of the jam where everyone complains about the submission form because the upload section is highly optimised to induce huge amounts of anxiety, and at least one person a year forgets to click what platform their game is for.

Anyway, instead of using the last few days to polish my game I've decided to submit early because thinking about this game for Yet Another Day is too much :effort: and I'd rather be done with this garbage toilet nightmare.

So, I present: Angry Minion Bird And Shrek: Got To Get Home On Time Videogame For Kids

Play Now!!!

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Forer posted:

Mehrio game

This is fun. I guess we're gonna see a lot of "old game but with phisics", not that I mind at all.
Btw is it intentional that you can crawl on the ceiling?

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Myron posted:

This is fun. I guess we're gonna see a lot of "old game but with phisics", not that I mind at all.
Btw is it intentional that you can crawl on the ceiling?

~No Bugs~

Absolutely intentional for like 9 different reasons, I might do a writeup later about it but it's a fun side effect of things being ground.

As a fun suggestion of something to try, the fireballs are also tagged as "Ground" so you should be able to jump if you're touching a fireball.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So I asked my friend who's helping me out with music to whip up a Donkey Kong arcade soundalike but he misunderstood and delivered an amazing Donkey Kong Country Jungle Japes soundalike. PANDA SUFFERER is supposed to be a retro game, but I'm not letting that song go to waste. Let's just pretend Super Mega 256-in-1 has an awesome sound chip included.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
If it's an NES cart-like you can justify unusual fidelity out of particularly deft use of the Namco 163 chip which allowed for a max of 8 FM channels, each with their own editable waveforms which can result in surprisingly full and "high" quality sound from an NES. Here's even an example of the 163 with a DKC song cover that's pretty nice, though not necessarily indicative of the breadth of stuff you can do with it. I don't think this is that important but hey, I wrote sentences about it for some reason.

I'm simultaneously excited and demoralized by the quality of everyone's games. I really want to play Afal's game right now but I'm probably not going to have any time until after the jam is over anyway, stupid responsibilities...

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Do the judges see the submission page, or do they just grab the judge builds blind?

My page ended up being much more informative than my in-game "tips" screen, and while I know that in practice nobody reads anything (still gotta figure out how to deal with that), I hope that the judges at least in theory have a chance to scroll past that stuff.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
gently caress me i cant finish my game :sigh:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i'm workin' on the car AI now, and they are strangely cooperative

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/891809279576915968

edit: now i've got some famitracker sounds and tunes in for the title screen and car selection:

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/891931733058125825

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 31, 2017

Knight007au
May 8, 2007
I made a terrible thing in unity.
I just realized I made an account on the game jam page but never actually entered a team.

I’m not going to enter now as my games is crap and I don’t want to waste the judges time.

But I did finish it, with a start screen 3 levels and a end screen.

Its bad but I did learn a lot about basic C# scripting in unity so it was worth it.

It anyone was to see my terrible game here it is.

It runs in Unity’s webapp, hopefully this link works.

Edit fixed link I think
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dag9eeg35wl2oia/AADAXgayuWwOOlPHeGw6h6OQa?dl=0

Knight007au fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 31, 2017

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Knight007au posted:

It runs in Unity’s webapp, hopefully this link works.

It doesn't. Dropbox dropped that functionality awhile ago. :(

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
https://youtu.be/9BwCdpOtHbk

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
If you have any issues with submitting your game, or if you submit a game and it doesn't show up in the submissions list properly (make sure you mark what platforms your build works with!) or anything like that, especially before the submission deadline, drop me a PM in discord and let me know, and I'll fiddle around in the back to get it working. There's a rewrite of the site coming that will take care of this stuff automatically in the future, but that's probably 6 months to a year away :)

Hammer Bro. posted:

Do the judges see the submission page, or do they just grab the judge builds blind?

My page ended up being much more informative than my in-game "tips" screen, and while I know that in practice nobody reads anything (still gotta figure out how to deal with that), I hope that the judges at least in theory have a chance to scroll past that stuff.
Personally, I look at the submission page for instructions. But if those are the only instructions available I'll take that into account. JonTerp definitely doesn't look at instructions on the game pages :v:

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

So do the games only uploaded to awfuljams only show up once the jam is officially over?

Anyway, I'm done. Had to rush more than I wanted, but I won't have a lot of time tomorrow so here's a lovely platformer for your amusement:

http://www.awfuljams.com/awful-summer-jam-2017/games/bat-man-and-the-sacred-stones

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

The sudden death of my aunt, as well as me making the poor life decision to try to get back together with my ex, made it a bad month for making video games.

The goal was to make a puzzle game that uses Risk/Advance Wars mechanics.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Well I'm done and submitted. I didn't work a lot on this during the summer but I've spent today and yesterday doing most of my levels and fixing a few bugs and doing some "polish" (the game is still incredibly janky though).

http://www.awfuljams.com/awful-summer-jam-2017/games/welcome-treasureman

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib
Eh, I was making a thing and now I'm not making a thing due to hardware issues. Oh well. You're all looking great, though!

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
I finished the thing!

It's small, and buggy, but it's done.

http://www.awfuljams.com/awful-summer-jam-2017/games/bootleg-miners

I simply tried to use the word bootleg as many times as I could, while bootlegging an older, better videogame.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

It's that time again.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Well Captain's Starlog will have to join the wall of shame with THE MOOCH. But we'll keep working on it :)

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
We're entering the final 24 hours!

First off, hats off to everyone participating. If you managed to finish a game no matter if it was small or large, completing any sort of a game in a month is a huge accomplishment so pat yourself on the back.

If you're ending up on the wall this year don't let it get you down, the only real failure is not learning from your mistakes and giving up. Hang around and play the games submitted by others, give some constructive feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

The tentative post jam schedule is as follows:

* The judging process this year begins August 2nd
* Gong Show - 4th & 5th
* Winner announcement stream - 11th

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ugh, agh, augh! Done!

May I present to you: Thriftynauts!

I don't know how many hours I put into this little project this month, but it's probably more than I've spent in some entire years of hobby-devving. To that extent I'm already a winner. And also dead on the inside, wugh. I haven't played any games other than this in the last three weeks. And I've played quite a bit of this. Though to its credit I'm still enjoying every time I end up with a wildly imbalanced ship.

I'm far too tired to provide a proper retrospective, and likely too lazy, but some key takeaways are:
  • Deadlines are good.
  • Reel that scope in!
  • Do the sound effects and polish even when you really hate it. The payoff is immediate and significant.
  • No one will read the instructions, under any circumstances.
  • People have weird ideas about how games should be played. They're doing it wrong.
  • That being said, they're actually doing it right. Don't prevent them from what they want to do, just try to make it so that what they innately want to do is what you want to do.
  • Good design is important -- spending the first week setting up the foundation so you can burn through content for the next two is worthwhile.
  • It's also okay to spend the last week doing horrible things to just make it work 'cause the deadline is looming. But be aware you'll probably have to redo all of those hacks if you want to extend the project past the deadline.
  • Once you've done a thing, don't redo it -- roll with it! There are a few oddities of art that informed my later design decisions; I am very happy with them. My coworker is very unhappy with them -- this makes me all the happier.
  • Advertise! I spent much more time than usual with the jam page and above screenshot, and I think they'll go a long way toward getting my foot in some doors. For instance, you have to at least scroll past the instructions to find the download link.
I'm not sure if the embedded video is working on the jam site (is it?); it worked for me in preview mode but never showed up on the page. Just in case anyone wants to see what kind of trouble one can get into in space:

https://vimeo.com/227846471
Aaaand it's bedtime!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I had to give up this year. Found out some serious medical stuff in my immediate family that took up any time and energy I had for dev. Oh well, maybe next time.

I'll probably keep working on my little boat game at least.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I done did good, just going to do a final day of minor bug fixes and gameplay adjustments. I didn't end up with a polished map but for how the game plays it really doesn't matter.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Afal posted:

Ah, it's that time of the jam where everyone complains about the submission form because the upload section is highly optimised to induce huge amounts of anxiety, and at least one person a year forgets to click what platform their game is for.

Anyway, instead of using the last few days to polish my game I've decided to submit early because thinking about this game for Yet Another Day is too much :effort: and I'd rather be done with this garbage toilet nightmare.

So, I present: Angry Minion Bird And Shrek: Got To Get Home On Time Videogame For Kids

Play Now!!!

I get a fatal error on startup:

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

I could dismiss that with "Works for me" but that would be too dickish.

What windows are you on? Are you using 32bit windows?

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Windows 8 64bit

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I feel good about my game; gonna give it a few more hours playtesting when I get home from work tomorrow (today) but I think it's ready for prime time. I'm pretty stoked, I think this is my best game yet! :buddy:

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
Sleep is for the finished. I am going to be awake for the next 19 hours and fifty two minutes.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

Well great, I have no idea then. It also seems as though gamemaker forums/subreddits doesn't know either. I have no way of testing this either because all the people who have tested this so far has had it work.

And since I've already submitted I have no idea if it will run for any judge or the gong show. Great.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Afal posted:

Well great, I have no idea then. It also seems as though gamemaker forums/subreddits doesn't know either. I have no way of testing this either because all the people who have tested this so far has had it work.

And since I've already submitted I have no idea if it will run for any judge or the gong show. Great.

I'm not a GM expert or anything, but the error message referring to dates before 1 January 1970 looks oddly like your game got hit with the Y2K bug. :v:

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Afal posted:

Well if it's only me so far you might be fine. I'm also more paranoid of something like that happening to my game now.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I might actually get something in on time.
I got into a car accident near the start of the jam. Everyone was fine, but my car's been in the shop and I've had to walk nearly everywhere. This left me with pretty drained and I had to give up on doing anything with Unity. I had to redo a bunch of my sprite work to meet RPGmaker's specifications (autotiling is weird), and change most of my game mechanics to avoid having to get in-depth with Ruby. Did you know that RPGmaker, an engine specifically for making JRPGs, as no flag for when all enemies are killed in a battle? Boggles the mind.

Anyway, I've pushed through it and you guys may get a little free-roaming RPG with some cute dialogue and I hope my earlier griping post that declared me as failing didn't automatically take me out of the running or something.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Awful Runners has been submitted. Mere mortals can dip their toes in the water at https://rozisdead.itch.io/awful-runners

My quest to properly scope a jam game continues, although I am getting closer. The mechanics of the game are sound and scoped, but I was not prepared for the world balancing part, so that's likely all blown to hell.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

I'll be submitting a PC build for our game, so cleverly titled BOOTLEGS, tonight after work.

If you like cute spiders walking around in an un-fun game, with the option for un-fun two player battles, this is the game for you!

WebGL build located here, but you'll probably want a beefy computer with a modern browser if you expect it to run well:

http://www.nolentabner.com/projects/bootlegs/

It might have gamepad support? I haven't tested it.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

nolen posted:

I'll be submitting a PC build for our game, so cleverly titled BOOTLEGS, tonight after work.

If you like cute spiders walking around in an un-fun game, with the option for un-fun two player battles, this is the game for you!

WebGL build located here, but you'll probably want a beefy computer with a modern browser if you expect it to run well:

http://www.nolentabner.com/projects/bootlegs/

It might have gamepad support? I haven't tested it.

You're crazy if you think this game isn't fun! It's great!

Edit: You fall off the world if you go backwards at the start of the level.

TomR fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

Myron posted:

Well if it's only me so far you might be fine. I'm also more paranoid of something like that happening to my game now.

I've tried a hack to get the datetime stuff to work. gamemaker seems to have a bug that's specific to windows 8 on that (http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=14811). I heard a rumour Sharpened Spoon is kindly allowing re-submissions and I want to make sure I've squashed this bug to stop me having a panic attack so I can try doing that.

• Locked thread