Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RedSpider
May 12, 2017

So they're not going to film Part II until they see the reception towards Part I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

I'm curious as to what the run time of this film is.

2 hours and 15 minutes

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Phi230 posted:

2 hours and 15 minutes

I think this is great news, more room for character building and scene setting. Derry itself qualifies as both really. Not long to go now.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm just excited to finally see 29 Neibolt Street finally put to film. Probably my favorite section of the book and one of the more disappointing things missing from the old mini series.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

29 Neibolt street was where they thought they killed It in the miniseries, when they were kids. Wasn't it?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I still have a sneaking suspicion they've probably at least cast adult Mike and the mid/after credits scene will be him calling up Stan.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

MrMojok posted:

29 Neibolt street was where they thought they killed It in the miniseries, when they were kids. Wasn't it?

Na, they only ever fought it in the sewer in the miniseries.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I'm thinking of a scene in the TV series in that house, when Bev hits it in the side of the head with her shot and deadlights start spilling out, and It escapes down the toilet.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

MrMojok posted:

I'm thinking of a scene in the TV series in that house, when Bev hits it in the side of the head with her shot and deadlights start spilling out, and It escapes down the toilet.

Yeah, that happened in the sewer and it went into a drain. The house/toilet thing was the book.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
There's the part in the showers where It goes down the drain and there's a creepy house where a mummy appears, I'm guessing people are thinking of those scenes.

edit: or does he enter through the drain? I haven't seen It in a long time.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The only house thing in the mini series was when they had Stan walk into some random house instead of the standpipe. They sort of condensed the 29 neibolt part into the sewer scene in the mini series, and it makes sense why they would leave out yet another encounter from the limited run time, but I just loved how tense and frightening that whole section was on the page.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Neibolt street is amazing for how It just spends ages loving with them, building that nightmarish sense of dread, everything from the exploded shards of toilet strewing the floor on back to the spatial fuckery with the rooms and the evil elf wallpaper that manages to be so evocative you pick up on it immediately when it turns up in one of the dark tower books.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I can't take the miniseries seriously because of that one dudes flicking stupid ponytail

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Is Bill gonna yell "Hi-ho Silver.... AWAY!" while he rides his bike? That may have been cool in the 50's but it's gonna look dorky as gently caress in the 80's.

Then again, he's kinda supposed to be a dork.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Kevyn posted:

Is Bill gonna yell "Hi-ho Silver.... AWAY!" while he rides his bike? That may have been cool in the 50's but it's gonna look dorky as gently caress in the 80's.

Then again, he's kinda supposed to be a dork.

It's the 80's. "When this baby hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious poo poo."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Origami Dali posted:

It's the 80's. "When this baby hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious poo poo."

"And I'll form the head!"

"Go Go Gadget!"

"Transform and roll out!"

"Yo Joe!"

'By the Power of Greyskull!"/"I have the Power!"

There's plenty of options.

Or they may keep the Lone Ranger reference just to reinforce how much of a loser he is.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I think this is great news, more room for character building and scene setting. Derry itself qualifies as both really. Not long to go now.

Keep in mind you need to subtract about 40 minutes for that scene.
Can we get a good poster for this movie btw?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Acht posted:

Keep in mind you need to subtract about 40 minutes for that scene.

What scene?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Acht posted:

Recreating the original book cover with an unnaturally elongated/bent Pennywise arm reaching out of the storm drain towards the paper sailboat instead of the big green monster hand is such a no brainer I'm shocked it's not already a thing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Fart City posted:

Recreating the original book cover with an unnaturally elongated/bent Pennywise arm reaching out of the storm drain towards the paper sailboat instead of the big green monster hand is such a no brainer I'm shocked it's not already a thing.

Is there an image of that cover?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
There's no way the poster doesn't feature a scary clown face front and center.

Edit: speaking of that, I bought the ebook about a year ago and this is what the "cover" looks like now. Awful.

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 1, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I actually love that cover.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I have a new paperback with that cover at home, I love it as well

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there an image of that cover?

Phonepostin', but here's a link:

https://litreactor.com/sites/default/files/images/column/2015/10/itcover.jpg

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If y'all weren't riding your friends in the dark dank of a sewer when you were 11 then I don't know what the gently caress.

I can only hope your own kids have a more interesting childhood.

Don't listen to this clown. It's a trick. He is not to be trusted.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
This is what my book looked like. The poster should be something like this.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Mine had pissed off Tim Curry

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

Are they gonna do the gang bang scene

It's actually going to be the entirety of Stranger Things Season 3

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I think I'm hoping for an atmospheric Derry poster.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kevyn posted:

There's no way the poster doesn't feature a scary clown face front and center.

Edit: speaking of that, I bought the ebook about a year ago and this is what the "cover" looks like now. Awful.

I don't mind that cover but the boat in the storm drain is really hard to beat

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's the one I had. I re-read IT recently and am surprised at how many things people mis-remember from the book, including myself. Mostly the physical appearance and descriptions of Pennywise. We tend to mish mash the book with TV series I think and it clouds our collective memory and judgement.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I should snag a picture of my copy of It. I think it is one of the original when it was released (it was my mom's when she was married to my father 25+ years ago). It's old and water damaged and taped together and well loved. I think it has a black cover.

Probably time for a reread anyway :)

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If that's the same one I have, it is a little goosebumps-y having green cartoon claws poking out of the drain. I wish it was more suggestive of yellow eyes or something.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Electromax posted:

If that's the same one I have, it is a little goosebumps-y having green cartoon claws poking out of the drain. I wish it was more suggestive of yellow eyes or something.

There's this one too.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

That's the one I had. I re-read IT recently and am surprised at how many things people mis-remember from the book, including myself. Mostly the physical appearance and descriptions of Pennywise. We tend to mish mash the book with TV series I think and it clouds our collective memory and judgement.

I had forgotten how weird it gets. That whole turtle/macroverse stuff is a little out there for my tastes.

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST

Kevyn posted:

There's this one too.

That's the one I've got. I think it's an early UK print. It ties in nicely to the George scene; when he first looks down into the drain he recoils from something that looks like an animal with burning yellow eyes. It's only when he looks again that he sees It as Pennywise.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

Super Fan posted:

I had forgotten how weird it gets. That whole turtle/macroverse stuff is a little out there for my tastes.

Oddly enough, those are the best parts of Insomnia.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Hodgepodge posted:

Oddly enough, those are the best parts of Insomnia.

Whoof. I think you mean the only good parts. I'm an unapologetic King fan, but that book is a friggin slog and a half.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Super Fan posted:

Same. They'd be wise to dial it down a bit and streamline it some for the movie. King was this close to running into the "how do I end this book " trap but managed to largely dodge and circumvent it. If they're not careful with the movie, the whole thing will get ridiculous. Maybe they can do space turtle and poo poo with a dream sequence, symbolism or an hallucination but if they go full bore I can't see it translating.

Based on what I've seen so far, I have full confidence in what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah... literally showing a giant turtle on screen talking to bill about how crazy this whole universe poo poo is would be weird on film. I still hope they can do a good representation of him getting knocked out of his body and facing it on some mental level, because it will just feel weird if they run into a cave and start shooting and punching a giant monster. After I finally read the book, the miniseries final confrontation seemed even more weak. I also really hope they have time to do the whole smoke lodge vision thing, as well as the Derry backstory of the loggers, and gangsters and all that.

P.S. Everyone jokes around about the sewer gang bang, but I personally hope we get to see some Bowers hand job action from Hocksteter :v:

• Locked thread