Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

well drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

The Summit to be a major?

https://twitter.com/BTSGoDz/status/892479457352499200

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

the $300,000 minor is probably a summit, the $1,000,000 major will probably be a BTS run event with a different branding if I had to guess

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Mid March BTS Major

e: what ^^^^^ said

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
2 majors within 5 days of eachother in May?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
valve does not expect or want every team to attend every big event

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Zurreco posted:

one's gonna be in China (MarsTV hosting)

that should really be enough explanation tbh

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The top tier teams are definitely going to be way more selective. I think this sounds pretty good for tier 2 and 3 teams actually.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
With everything placed so closely together hopefully none of the tournaments do the stupid "ten thousand online qualifying matches please buy this ridonkulously expensive ticket" scheme.

Honestly curious to see how Valve allows tournaments to monetize themselves without going back to the bad old days of a a dozen low-poly lovely no effort couriers appearing every year.

There's a reason I loved the Majors: you could basically subscribe to really nice hats if you wished and the quality was high and they didn't fill up my hard drive with bad items and joke compendiums. And if you didn't want that, you could still spectate in game for free.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

With everything placed so closely together hopefully none of the tournaments do the stupid "ten thousand online qualifying matches please buy this ridonkulously expensive ticket" scheme.

I feel like this is gonna happen because organizers are dumb, but a month into the season there will be a reddit backlash spawned by an EE blog post and then orgs will wise up.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I want more compendiums. They're fun.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/Cyborgmatt/status/892491016967561216
https://twitter.com/Cyborgmatt/status/892491094222528512
https://twitter.com/Cyborgmatt/status/892491145019760640

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

agree

agree

agree

valve is the best video game company in the world much like EG will be crowned the best team in the world in 11 days.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

sugar free jazz posted:

wait is that true

https://twitter.com/MerliniDota/status/892439031295860736

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
I really like how 2017-2018 season is gonna shape up, loads of events means we're hopefully going to see lots of new teams coming together in the t2-t3 space, not to mention new talent maybe

meanwhile one day until the event starts and still no word on a secondary merchandise solution...

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
majors and minors give ti qualifying points now so I cant imagine many teams will want to skip them.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
with so many events teams can 100% afford to skip some

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I wonder how patch scheduling is going to work with all these tournaments, the Majors provided very convenient downtime to release patches. With a schedule this packed it's gonna be wild when teams get to a major and have to play on a 3 day old massive patch.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I've added the short film contest finalists to the image dump post

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Majuju posted:

I really like how 2017-2018 season is gonna shape up, loads of events means we're hopefully going to see lots of new teams coming together in the t2-t3 space, not to mention new talent maybe

meanwhile one day until the event starts and still no word on a secondary merchandise solution...

Did they let people going to the event pre-order stuff to pick up at the venue in previous years? Last time I went was TI4 and they did not let us do this

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

top teams overall should be able to skip more events while lower tier teams can grind it out and get to TI. Seems like a decent system, though I do think overall it could end up with the bottom teams at TI being worse because they're qualifying by grinding points over the course of a whole year instead of being good when TI is about to happen.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Did they let people going to the event pre-order stuff to pick up at the venue in previous years? Last time I went was TI4 and they did not let us do this

I think so, but I'm talking more the whole "abruptly dumping WeLoveFine" thing that still seems to have not been resolved

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Simple solution: give me all the hats, physical and digital, for free

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Zurreco posted:

Earlier this year Starladder and Manila Masters were like 4 days apart, think of tournaments like that as what those majors will be

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Red Red Blue posted:

Earlier this year Starladder and Manila Masters were like 4 days apart, think of tournaments like that as what those majors will be

Were they both $1m+ prize pools?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

No, but the organizer is providing 500k and valve is providing 500k. Obviously these tournaments are going to be a little bigger profile than those ones were but they also aren't "Majors" as we know them

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm surprised at how many people in the community are talking about people getting in on incorrect visas. Even if you feel for Bulldog it's not a good look to be talking about Valve breaking immigration laws on twitter.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Wezlar posted:

I'm surprised at how many people in the community are talking about people getting in on incorrect visas. Even if you feel for Bulldog it's not a good look to be talking about Valve breaking immigration laws on twitter.

technically, they didn't break immigration laws. Which is the whole point. the US visa system is terrible

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Taffer posted:

technically, they didn't break immigration laws. Which is the whole point. the US visa system is terrible

Or that casters are breaking the laws by working under improper visas? Regardless you would think that people would be more tight lipped about things

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Wezlar posted:

Or that casters are breaking the laws by working under improper visas? Regardless you would think that people would be more tight lipped about things

nobody cares. i mean that. once you're inside, nobody gives half a poo poo what you do as long as you don't overstay your visa. because there's a whole lot of people overstaying their visa and that's a billion times worse than, you know, doing off-visa activities for a week

so that's why everybody lies by omission through immigration.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

They're laws that are fairly harmless to break. You come to the US for 3 weeks or whatever, you have a ticket back, and then oh no, they find out you are making some money and... they ship you back to where you came from. Which would never happen because that kind of enforcement is never carried out within weeks. It's just a result of a visa system that wasn't created for the world we live in today.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Taffer posted:

they ship you back to where you came from.
And slap a 5-20 year ban on re-entry on you. Sounds wonderful.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I really loved last year's compendiums. I look forward to the new ones as I have become addicted to them.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

turboraton posted:

I really loved last year's compendiums. I look forward to the new ones as I have become addicted to them.

what are you talking about turbo! get in the irc binch!!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

TheRat posted:

And slap a 5-20 year ban on re-entry on you. Sounds wonderful.

Has that ever happened to anyone doing esports events?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

It'd be funny as gently caress to happen

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Why do you think Navi mysteriously didn't qualify?

:tinfoil:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Taffer posted:

Has that ever happened to anyone doing esports events?

I doubt it, thats just the sort of punishment that gets applied when any punishment happens at all.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
There may be some good dotes starting real soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

https://twitter.com/Ghostikdota/status/892513945885450243

hahaha tensions are high at ti boys

• Locked thread