Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
More Warhammer Math:
-Chance to hit is 40% + attacker's attack - defender's defense
-Chance to hit has a cap at 90% and a floor at 15%
-Units only get 75% of the value of their defense when the attack is coming at the sides of their model. 40% when its hitting their back

-Bonus vs Large/Infantry, as well as Charge Bonus, both maintain the same armor piercing versus normal damage ratio as the units regular attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do i handle minotaurs as Brettonia?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Baron Porkface posted:

Knights.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Baron Porkface posted:

Polearms

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

SickZip posted:

More Warhammer Math:
-Chance to hit is 40% + attacker's attack - defender's defense
-Chance to hit has a cap at 90% and a floor at 15%
-Units only get 75% of the value of their defense when the attack is coming at the sides of their model. 40% when its hitting their back

-Bonus vs Large/Infantry, as well as Charge Bonus, both maintain the same armor piercing versus normal damage ratio as the units regular attack.

The fact that that units have a floor of 15% to hit means that even garbage units like zombies are still going to get some lucky hits. Mods like SFO and brutal battles take this a step further by maximizing the effectiveness of chaff units, which I like.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Baron Porkface posted:

How do i handle everything as Brettonia?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I turned off SFO for the first time in forever to play Ultimate Chaos, and while Ultimate Chaos is pretty fun and does some interesting things, I'm remembering exactly how totally floundering and useless the vanilla AI is at army composition and town building. I've been stomping through Bretonnia and Louen can't even field Knights of the Realm against me because his building chains are all hosed up so all I do is fight peasant stacks.

I really hope they take some of SFO's ideas about the strategic game(specifically redundant unit access via highly teched towns and adding income to buildings the AI loves to spam) for TWW2, because the game is way more fun when the AI actually fields reasonable stacks.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

Knights of the Realm have anti-large. Use them. Or if you're a dung-eating peasant lover, use men at arms with polearms. Or use both - polearms to eat the charge and knights to hit the minotaurs from behind.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Kanos posted:

I turned off SFO for the first time in forever to play Ultimate Chaos, and while Ultimate Chaos is pretty fun and does some interesting things, I'm remembering exactly how totally floundering and useless the vanilla AI is at army composition and town building. I've been stomping through Bretonnia and Louen can't even field Knights of the Realm against me because his building chains are all hosed up so all I do is fight peasant stacks.

I really hope they take some of SFO's ideas about the strategic game(specifically redundant unit access via highly teched towns and adding income to buildings the AI loves to spam) for TWW2, because the game is way more fun when the AI actually fields reasonable stacks.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761596200

That combined with T4 towns is a reasonable approximation, though it does restrict certain buildings to towns/capitals so if you have some leet optimal build order it might gently caress with you a bit. Still not as good as SFO unit variance, in my opinion, but it's still way better than vanilla and lets you gently caress around with other mods like Gejnor's stuff if you prefer more subdued changes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Safety Factor posted:

Wulfrik is a man cursed to wander the earth, seeking out mighty champions to fight in single combat.

Riding a war mammoth must be some kind of loophole to that last stipulation.

As Lord of the Rings teaches us, Oliphants only count as 1.

Jastiger posted:

So I'm in the Grand Campaign and I think I'm boned. All the elves hate me, I can't break their armies or garrisons, I'm tapped out on Amber, so I can't upgrade the tree, nor can I research techs to make people like me. No one will enter into any agreements with me and we're all just sitting in the forest waiting to die from Chaos.

Should I restart, or should I go attack someone with my paltry economy?

Sack someone. Or go after Norsca.

Baron Porkface posted:

Assuming they are the non-shielded variety, I prefer to pincushion them with my archers.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

SickZip posted:

I thought charge bonus and bonus-vs-whatever was all AP, otherwise spears are useless as anti-cav if they're only doing 4-5 damage per stab against a reiksguard/arachnarok

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
In roughly an hour they'll be talking about the anniversary free DLC on their Twitch stream. My money is on DLC race RoRs.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz7qXNJglxI

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Oh. Well good job ruining your own surprise CA!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

In roughly an hour they'll be talking about the anniversary free DLC on their Twitch stream. My money is on DLC race RoRs.

Yep, 30 of em.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/birthday-regiments-faq

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Oh. Well good job ruining your own surprise CA!

Eh, savvy people have caught on they are adding RoR for the other factions for weeks now.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
There's also a blog post up that runs through the whole list.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/birthday-regiments-faq/

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Some of those wood elf RoRs look insanely good. Treekin that have an aoe fire resistance buff and a ton of units with stalk? :getin:

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

pnutz posted:

I thought charge bonus and bonus-vs-whatever was all AP, otherwise spears are useless as anti-cav if they're only doing 4-5 damage per stab against a reiksguard/arachnarok

Nope. Same ratio as their regular attack. It was suspected via testing on reddit and then confirmed by a CA employee

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

SickZip posted:

Nope. Same ratio as their regular attack. It was suspected via testing on reddit and then confirmed by a CA employee

Note that bonuses like anti-large and anti-infantry also improve melee attack, which is the real reason spears work against armored Cav, just not as well as halberds.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Any word on whether the beastman and welf RoR's are available in the mini-campaigns?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How do you view the unit cards like they do in the streams? If I ever want to look at what the little circles below a unit are I have to loving open that HORRIBLE in game guide poo poo. How can I keep the stats on screen to mouse over?

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Click the pin icon

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

How do you view the unit cards like they do in the streams? If I ever want to look at what the little circles below a unit are I have to loving open that HORRIBLE in game guide poo poo. How can I keep the stats on screen to mouse over?

If you have the unit selected there should be a button in the bottom left corner that says 'show unit stats' or 'detailed stats' or something. It opens a panel on the left with all the icons to mouse over

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Krazyface posted:

Any word on whether the beastman and welf RoR's are available in the mini-campaigns?

I don't see why they wouldnt be?

More importantly, why are you still playing the mini campaigns?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lord knows the beastmen mini campaign wasn't easy enough, let's give them regenerating Minotaurs to help

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

ZigZag posted:

Click the pin icon

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

If you have the unit selected there should be a button in the bottom left corner that says 'show unit stats' or 'detailed stats' or something. It opens a panel on the left with all the icons to mouse over

I'm at work and can't test: Is this possible on the recruitment screen?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm at work and can't test: Is this possible on the recruitment screen?

Yes. When selecting units to recruit, there should be a pin icon in the... top right I think. I also can't test right now. Anyway, click on the pin and the unit stat card will remain even when you mouse away, as long as your mouse is not on top of another unit

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Treemen that are on fire ffs it's radious 2.0

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

sassassin posted:

Hahaha

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
So, 100 turns into my wood elf campaign and I feel like I'm way behind where most people in this thread are at that point. I still haven't gotten anyone to confederate and I've only just taken over carcassonne and like 4 other minor settlements.

How do I play this game faster? Not just with Welves, It seems like all of my campaigns I'm spending too much time waiting for stacks to reinforce or the siege holdout time to tick down, but when I play more aggressively I just get stack wiped. Are there any good youtube campaigns I can watch or something?

CaptCommy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 2, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

sassassin posted:

That is kind of a weird 'ability'

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seems a bit disapointing that Wulfrik only has one quest battle. I really love quest battles.

Kanos posted:

Both are actually compatible.

sassassin posted:

someone post that image of chaos chariots with blessings of the lady made by radious

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Weird charcoal tree guys could be ok I guess, but that definitely seems weird as gently caress. Wonder if their forums are mad about it?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

CaptCommy posted:

So, 100 turns into my wood elf campaign and I feel like I'm way behind where most people in this thread are at that point. I still haven't gotten anyone to confederate and I've only just taken over carcassonne and like 4 other minor settlements.

How do I play this game faster? Not just with Welves, It seems like all of my campaigns I'm spending too much time waiting for stacks to reinforce or the siege holdout time to tick down, but when I play more aggressively I just get stack wiped. Are there any good youtube campaigns I can watch or something?

The way I do it is to be aggressive AF at the start of the game. Every turn, every stack should be:

- winning a useful battle;
- moving towards a useful battle; or
- recruiting so that I have enough troops to win the next useful battle.

By useful battle I mean one that has a clear purpose. Mostly this will be capturing a new settlement, especially in the early game, but it can also be winning a nearby quest or taking out an army that's heading for a settlement you can't defend. It isn't stopping an army that isn't going to beat my garrison or chasing down an enemy stack that's faster than my stack.

Don't siege more than the one or two turns it takes to build siege machines. Obviously best case is to wander around with artillery or units that let you go straight to siege. Get comfortable attacking.

By the same token, get comfortable attacking with a smaller force than the enemy. This is largely to do with splitting the AI's forces so you can gang up on individual units and break them, but can also involve e.g. baiting them into attacking a settlement where the walls + garrison will let you win. Watch videos from good players - I'm not particularly good but there are a lot of excellent goon total warriors e.g. yukitsu who have youtubes up.

Use low tier/starter troops as much as you can get away with and still win. They reinforce fast. Keep your big hitter free units that reinforce slowly safe and only commit them to fights they will win easily.

Basically be aggressive (B.E aggressive). Don't worry about rebellions, think of them as free gold and XP. Use the money you save to make sure you always have a L2 garrison as quickly as possible so you can ignore most early to mid game opportunistic raiders and use your expensive stacks for what they're meant for: attacking other people's settlements and taking their poo poo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dandywalken posted:

Weird charcoal tree guys could be ok I guess, but that definitely seems weird as gently caress. Wonder if their forums are mad about it?

I think a lot of them are really dumb but the worst offender is that RoRs are free anytime, anywhere units which is bullshit. Killing RoRs is like playing high casualty whack a mole and makes being certain factions' only enemy awful.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I wish they'd write a little lore blurb for each RoR about their exploits and how they got their special abilities.

Also, to increase respawn times for them. As-is they don't feel like special elite units, they're more disposable than, say, Skarsnik's starting arachnarok, or most of the lords with standout starter unit.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
SFO and Ultimate Chaos are compatible.

I am having a very interesting Very Hard campaign playing Clan Angrund with these mods. Unlike conventional Dwarves, where you can build up a lot of momentum and basically steamroll anything that looks at you funny, Belegar gets a much slower start. SFO at least cuts you a break by making the upkeep penalty only 25% vs 50% in the stock game. I'm on turn 120, and the following has been happening:

-Involved in a nasty meatgrinder for 70+ turns with the neighboring wood elves, who are able to utilize their massed firepower and mobility to be a real pain outside of fighting them in my forts

-I was very surprised to see that the Chaos forces have wrecked the poo poo out of Dwarves; everything north of Black Crag is a glass parking lot :stonk:

-Enemies actually attack my capitals which is actually fun since I get to have big siege battles. Crooked Moon suffered a major setback when they and their Waagh sieged Karak Izor and got defeated in a massive battle.

-Even though Orion massively reduces settlement holdout time he tends to attack a turn after supplies initially run out meaning my garrison isn't really devastated much and I can barely fight him off.

-The Umgi are pulling their weight by putting pressure on Wood Elves and actually helping me out in various battles. I've gotten more use out of 'war coordination' commands this campaign than I ever have, by vectoring them in on armies threatening vulnerable settlements.

-Vampires snapped up all the wrecked northern cities and its looking like turn 200+ will be Greenskins, Vampires, and Chaos with me barely hanging on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ravenfood posted:

I wish they'd write a little lore blurb for each RoR about their exploits and how they got their special abilities.

Also, to increase respawn times for them. As-is they don't feel like special elite units, they're more disposable than, say, Skarsnik's starting arachnarok, or most of the lords with standout starter unit.

If you right click them you do get a little bit of information on them. For many of the dwarf RoRs they are notable units from lost holds- Ekrund Miners, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a mod for that. Do a search for "reduced ror respawn" on the workshop.

• Locked thread