Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's been a while but it was either said or implied that old bernard had been kind of written out of the park history and knowledge. Which wouldnt be hard if it had been long enough and you have as much control as Ford.

Exactly, like, before Social Network came out, who knew about Eduardo Saverin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I'll be in my bunk

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vlonald Prump posted:

1) Didn't any old hands notice they had this guy looking just like Arnold running around?

Not if Ford made Bernard the equivalent of the basement door ohhhhhhh poo poo theyre all hosts!!!!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

bring back old gbs posted:

Not if Ford made Bernard the equivalent of the basement door ohhhhhhh poo poo theyre all hosts!!!!

Or, you know, the fact it was over 30 years ago and he quietly removed all the old staff over time before bringing in Bernard.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Wild Horses posted:

They probably made all the horses reallllllly docile for all the rich assholes

Poor daisy, thought of free will and died

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Poor daisy, thought of free will and died

Finding stupid yet creative ways of dying is what horses do best.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Arnold was said to be very private, eventually becoming crazy. Even William and Logan couldn't find his picture after a 5 year time jump.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
https://medium.com/hbo-cinemax-pr/hbo-cinemax-programming-overview-dca4424c4c44

Westworld season 2 set to premiere in Spring (March, April, May or June I guess)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The whole Arnold thing is silly anyway. Quick, describe the appearance of your company's COO in 1987.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Peanut President posted:

He knocked the phone off the handle with his nose and when the operator answered (this is how phones used to work) he asked her to put him in to the feed store. The more important question is...how did he pay?
How does a horse talk? I don't think they have the mouth architecture to mimic human speech.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

How does a horse talk? I don't think they have the mouth architecture to mimic human speech.

Look at this idiot who didn't see the documentary Mister Ed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mister Ed was bitten by a radioactive human and gained the power of human speech.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He ate Wilbur's throat lozenges and gained the permanent power of speech. God, it's like you've never even paid attention to the opening credits.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Cojawfee posted:

What makes a robot man be intelligent but a robot horse not? They are both robots. There's no rules for what a robot can be.

Actually there are three of them.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

regulargonzalez posted:

The whole Arnold thing is silly anyway. Quick, describe the appearance of your company's COO in 1987.

Since there's pictures of him everywhere I can describe him to you in detail. Usually Founders of companies are celebrated/recognized It is odd that everyone knows his name, but not what he looks like. I wouldn't think it would be that uncommon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ford and Arnold are daft punk. No one knew what they looked like.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
fun fact: in 2007 the two dudes from Daft Punk made an arthouse movie called Electroma where their robots drive into a town where everyone (man, woman and child) all have one of the two robot heads. They go to a lab and get human heads plastic molded on top of their helmet heads, and then go walking around until they're chased out of town by the robo people. It's an OK movie that was mostly just an expensive excuse to let Bangalter flex latent cinematographer muscles....

but the most amazing thing about the movie is that the two human heads they molded over their robo heads are their actual faces and no one really realized it or (as far as I know) even suspected it until after RAM came out and a picture of them sans helmets circulated widely.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have heard that they used to take their helmets off after performing, though this might be wrong. A friend says he saw it circa 1999 when he was at an electronic music festival and knew them only as "these cool French robot guys that do techno."

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Look, I'm just a backwoods hyper chicken from beyond the stars, but on my home planet there is a saying: "do not look a talking horse in the mouth."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah, it was some point in the late 90's when they went from "we should wear these helmets all the time that'd be fun" to "this is our thing now and we are actively fighting any attempt to connect our real faces to this act" and it worked pretty well because they did it before they got super huge, before the net was real crazy about that sort of thing and before anyone really gave a poo poo what EDM guys looked like.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So, only on episode 3 right now, but I've got some questions regarding things I've seen and how it works in Westworld.

Regarding the hosts, they routinely get beat up, cut up, bloodied, etc. So, does each day have a certain end-time where all the hosts return to the lab and get patched up, or how does that work? Like, could someone shoot Dolores first thing in the morning, and then she would get carted off, patched up, and put back in the game that same day, or is she out of commission until the next day? It seems like there isn't a distinct end-time, but I just don't get how things reset, either. Like, say I pay for a 2-week package. I can basically stay up all day long and night long and go kill a bunch of people...they have to get put back at some point, right? It's just not making sense how the blackhat guy seems to be killing anything and everything-wouldn't that take away from other people's experiences?

Also, from what I've seen, everything is a robot (the hosts, the horses, the rattlesnake in episode 2). Are flies also robots? Just wondering why they are attracted to the hosts, especially in episode 3 with the new script that shows a bunch of people cut up and flies all over them. A female human running around with Teddy visibly appears that she can smell something rancid, so I'm just wondering how the fake skin/blood/etc ends up smelling rancid to humans and attracting either real flies or robotic flies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The host's bodies are biological and can decay, though they don't explain exactly how they're unlike human bodies--but they basically seem to be flesh bodies like anyone else's. There is dialogue later that clarifies the situation with the flies.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

nwiniwn posted:

So, only on episode 3 right now, but I've got some questions regarding things I've seen and how it works in Westworld.

Regarding the hosts, they routinely get beat up, cut up, bloodied, etc. So, does each day have a certain end-time where all the hosts return to the lab and get patched up, or how does that work? Like, could someone shoot Dolores first thing in the morning, and then she would get carted off, patched up, and put back in the game that same day, or is she out of commission until the next day? It seems like there isn't a distinct end-time, but I just don't get how things reset, either. Like, say I pay for a 2-week package. I can basically stay up all day long and night long and go kill a bunch of people...they have to get put back at some point, right? It's just not making sense how the blackhat guy seems to be killing anything and everything-wouldn't that take away from other people's experiences?

Also, from what I've seen, everything is a robot (the hosts, the horses, the rattlesnake in episode 2). Are flies also robots? Just wondering why they are attracted to the hosts, especially in episode 3 with the new script that shows a bunch of people cut up and flies all over them. A female human running around with Teddy visibly appears that she can smell something rancid, so I'm just wondering how the fake skin/blood/etc ends up smelling rancid to humans and attracting either real flies or robotic flies.

They specifically call out that the flies are real, it's a plot point for Dolores and the Sheriff in literally the first episode.

The entire point of the dramatic final shot of the pilot episode is that Delores was able to harm a living thing when we saw through the episode that hosts are meant to ignore flies because they can't hurt anything actually alive.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 2, 2017

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
My biggest protip for this show is do not post in this thread until you're done with it, for various reasons. IMO you're not going to get anything out of asking stuff like this as you progress through to people who have already seen the show (and might possibly spoil poo poo for you intentionally or not). Not to mention the risk of seeing poo poo while people discuss season 2 or things past where you're watching. Just let the show take care of your "I wonder why..." stuff and if it doesn't then ya'll come on back now y'hear.

That said, I don't think they ever really suss out the exact system and schedule of how hosts get cycled out of the park for repair so don't worry too much about that. My guess is that they just wait until there's a reasonably low risk of running into a guest and then grab them then. It doesn't mess up other people's experiences because they're all programmed to improvise around stuff that the guests do, including rape and murder and their inexplicable inability to kill them.

Edit: I would also guess in high traffic areas they could just have a "back room" area of a coroners office with fast access to the repair area so a body could be collected in a way that doesn't break MY IMMERSION.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 2, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
e: ^ yeah, I would avoid this thread after this until you finish. There are several major things that are very easy to get spoiled. Don't even google a character's name!

nwiniwn posted:

They never did quite fully explain all of this, but somewhere in the promotional material online (I forget where) it says that for normal circumstances, "undertaker" hosts collect dead hosts and bring them to hidden chutes which send them to the lab. We see that they are out of commission until at least the next day, possibly longer depending on the extent of the damage. When they are ready to be put back in to commission, they are placed into their "waking up" point. We know this because Teddy always wakes up on the train, Dolores in her bed, etc. If the hosts are not killed or maimed then they reset their loop when they go to bed unless there are special circumstances like they are accompanying a park guest. Some hosts are not reset every day depending on their narrative and function.

In the original movie, there was a definite shutdown point in which all activity and immersion stopped, all the dead hosts were collected, fresh ones placed in, and damage was repaired. However, the park depicted in the show goes to much further lengths to ensure immersion, and there is not any definite shutdown or reset time.

Also, it's explained that there are enough hosts in the park and all of their narratives adjust if certain hosts are out of commission, so the man in black won't really affect other people's experiences.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 2, 2017

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Have you figured out how the guns work yet? :can:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Wizgot posted:

https://medium.com/hbo-cinemax-pr/hbo-cinemax-programming-overview-dca4424c4c44

Westworld season 2 set to premiere in Spring (March, April, May or June I guess)

My bet is the same April timeframe Game of Thrones used to premier. Probably April 2018 for Westworld season 2, April 2019 for Game of Thrones season 8, and April 2020 for Westworld season 3, unless Westworld takes off more and they pre-planned the rest of the seasons.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doggles posted:

Have you figured out how the guns work yet? :can:

Haha, I read the first few pages of this thread where it showed it was simunitions or something like that.

Thanks for the tips on everything, guys. I'll come back to this thread once I catch up on the season.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the best part about the first episode is anyone who's seen the movie thinks ed harris is the yul brenner robot so it's great when it;s revealed nope he's a visitor and our hero is just one of the robots.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I do find it a bit implausible that there aren't multiple versions of Dolores or whoever around that they switch out for maintenance etc. I get it's for writing convenience that it happens but there's no way a park of this nature would end up depending on a single copy per host that doesn't have a redundancy backup in case poo poo bugs out.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

double nine posted:

I do find it a bit implausible that there aren't multiple versions of Dolores or whoever around that they switch out for maintenance etc. I get it's for writing convenience that it happens but there's no way a park of this nature would end up depending on a single copy per host that doesn't have a redundancy backup in case poo poo bugs out.

They sort of do, her dad got replaced when he bugged out and the replacement had the same narrative and lines being read back to her and whatnot.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They don't need there to always be a Dolores though. Or any role. As they re-iterated many times, everything is designed to adjust around host roles that are missing and there are so many other hosts to interact with. Dolores is just one of 2,000-ish hosts (established in episode 1 or 2) that guests can interact with.

For example if Teddy gets off the train and runs into Dolores without guest interference, they go off and do their thing. If a guest engages with Teddy and he doesn't run into Dolores, then she goes off and paints pictures on her own. The same thing would happen if Teddy was gone completely for repairs.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The point being that Delores is a star attraction, something that punters (like the guy who owns the park) come back to enjoy. Do they have a queuing system? What happens if MiB is due to ride that attraction and the guy before him got a bit rough and killed her or decided to take her with them across the river? Tell the MiB to experience something else? There is no reason for them not to have multiple Delores models. One going on the big discovery journey, one in the town dropping her can, another finding her dad dead etc.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's like dark souls sometimes you gently caress up or miss part of an npc's questline and they're gone until your next game.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Collateral posted:

The point being that Delores is a star attraction, something that punters (like the guy who owns the park) come back to enjoy. Do they have a queuing system? What happens if MiB is due to ride that attraction and the guy before him got a bit rough and killed her or decided to take her with them across the river? Tell the MiB to experience something else? There is no reason for them not to have multiple Delores models. One going on the big discovery journey, one in the town dropping her can, another finding her dad dead etc.

That's when the townfolk tell you she left with somebody, and you can now ride out and get into PVP to take her.

I'd so love to see some dickhead kids that "camp Dolores" to ambush noobs

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wait, does that make the man in black Lautrec?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's the malfunctioning host that wipes out the bar.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I figure the vast majority people aren't rich enough to absorb enough of WW to start playing favorites with specific hosts. Like Dolores is a prime target for that sort of thing since she's so close to the entrance but there's no indication that anyone but the richest repeat-est fan of the park seeks her out specifically. And I'd imagine people that do get like that would understand that there's really no way to mitigate or schedule time with a specific host without sort of ruining the entire system of the park.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Collateral posted:

MIB gets the synthmilk Delores whenever he wants, the rest of the guests have to queue up for v1 mechanical Delores in the back room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm betting the park is so expensive that most people only ever go once or twice in their lives. They just wouldn't know about whatever quests they are missing out on. Though it must suck if you get into the middle of something good and then some guy shows up and says "Time's up."

• Locked thread