Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

hooah posted:

Now that notification actions are a thing, what advantages do third-party text apps have over Messages?

Textra is beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Play listing says it contains ads. How much is the IAP to remove them?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Kheldarn posted:

Few bucks? Less than the cost of lunch? Whatever it is, definitely worth it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

This begs the question of how much Google Play survey bucks do you not have? I've got like $50 just chilling in there.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Scudworth posted:

Textra is beautiful

I have tried many third party apps, but keep coming back to Hangouts simply because I like texting from my computer. I tried the Pushbullet app and found the web interface to be really lacking. Any other suggestions?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I have tried many third party apps, but keep coming back to Hangouts simply because I like texting from my computer. I tried the Pushbullet app and found the web interface to be really lacking. Any other suggestions?

This is why I continue to use Hangouts and Google Voice. Hangouts on the desktop is, AFAICT with regards to the UI, the best cross-platform SMS (with Google Voice) and IM thingy.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I still use join for texting from the computer but it's chrome extension is extremely fugly, though it does work

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

I still use join for texting from the computer but it's chrome extension is extremely fugly, though it does work

You've got to admit that Join has gotten much better in terms of UI but yeah, I wish that guy would meet a UI person who could help that app. It works extremely well but it's a bear to set up and the UI is problematic at best. I'd never recommend it to a non-nerd.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
Are there any good weather apps? I've had Weather Timeline on my phone for 6 months or so and it is convinced that it is always raining, about to rain, or that the rain will be stopping soon, regardless of the actual conditions (it hasn't rained in several weeks).

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

swampface posted:

Are there any good weather apps? I've had Weather Timeline on my phone for 6 months or so and it is convinced that it is always raining, about to rain, or that the rain will be stopping soon, regardless of the actual conditions (it hasn't rained in several weeks).

Weather Underground can't make a pretty widget to save their life, but it's always been as accurate as weather can be.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Really, really like DarkSky. Seems to be super accurate and the app itself is great.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Darksky and weather timeline use the same data.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, that's pretty odd then because DarkSky seems ridiculously accurate to me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
You can change the provider in Weather Timeline from Dark Sky to something else if you're having accuracy problems. A weather app is only good as the data source you have it set to.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Darksky and weather timeline use the same data.

You can change the data source used by weather timeline.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

You've got to admit that Join has gotten much better in terms of UI but yeah, I wish that guy would meet a UI person who could help that app. It works extremely well but it's a bear to set up and the UI is problematic at best. I'd never recommend it to a non-nerd.

It's def much better than it was and I just realized you can change the accent color so that actually fixes the main problem I had with it

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I love Yahoo Weather's widget, but I'm pretty sure the data is crap.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

It's def much better than it was and I just realized you can change the accent color so that actually fixes the main problem I had with it

Another thing you can do is tailor the menus for each device in the Chrome extension which greatly declutters the menu.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I like Weather Live. I used it on iOS, so I was happy to see it come to Android.

Comedy option: What The Forecast.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Moey posted:

I love Yahoo Weather's widget, but I'm pretty sure the data is crap.

I love how their app looks, but the notifications are hilariously bad. As in, an hour into a heavy thunderstorm which has triggered NOAA warnings for flooding and tornados , I'll get a notification that there is a 90% chance of a rain shower in the next 15 minutes.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Wait, you can send SMS from Hangouts on desktop? Does this require a Google Voice number?

Currently I use Pulse for that, which is pretty good although it stopped getting texts so I switched back to Messages on my phone. Pulse still works from my PC so this setup is fine by me.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Deeters posted:

Does anyone have a good fuel mileage tracking app? I was using Fuelly, but the "app" is pretty much just a holder for their website. And I'm too lazy to make something in Sheets that does what I want.

aCar does all of the vehicle things.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Seconding acar, it's good

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Wait, you can send SMS from Hangouts on desktop? Does this require a Google Voice number?

Currently I use Pulse for that, which is pretty good although it stopped getting texts so I switched back to Messages on my phone. Pulse still works from my PC so this setup is fine by me.

Voice or Project Fi, yeah. When I left Fi I specifically ported my number to Voice so I could continue to use Hangouts like that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

aCar does all of the vehicle things.

I tried aCar back in 2010 and it's refreshing to see an app that never felt the need to move beyond the Froyo era of design. Right down the isometric icon, it's like a time capsule.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Can someone explain to me why, no matter what weather app I use, it won't send me push notifications about severe weather warnings until after I've checked the app? Like, if there's a tornado warning, I want to know immediately, not four minutes before expiring because I happened to open the app up. Notifications are on and have priority.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What phone?

That's probably more important than the weather app.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

bull3964 posted:

What phone?

That's probably more important than the weather app.

Galaxy S7.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's probably Samsung's aggressive memory policies kicking out the background process that would service the notification.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

I tried aCar back in 2010 and it's refreshing to see an app that never felt the need to move beyond the Froyo era of design. Right down the isometric icon, it's like a time capsule.

aCar is really good and does what it sets out to do perfectly but yeah, god drat dude, spend the time and updated the visuals.

:negative:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Looks like it was last updated late 2015. Doesn't seem like it's being worked on anymore.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Uthor posted:

Looks like it was last updated late 2015. Doesn't seem like it's being worked on anymore.

Looks like they've merged with another company and are developing version 5.0.

Which probably means it will suck. :(

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 4, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

I respect that their announcement page in no way leads back to either app or any information about either app. I also like that it features both icons at the top which make it look like a promotion for Web 1.0 vs Web 2.0.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

I have no problems with weather warnings and general notifications using Weather Timeline on my S7.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Oh god, after about 1000hrs in Pocketcasts I decided to have a look at the alternatives.... And Podcast Addict already does all the things I've been holding out hope for PC adding, while fixing some of the idiosyncrasies that I learned to live with.

Wish I'd checked it out ages ago now.

Maybe I need to check all these apps I've blindly stuck with year on year.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Does it also have a web app? Lack of that would be a deal breaker for me.

Regardless, what cool things does it do that Pocket Casts does not?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

MeKeV posted:

Oh god, after about 1000hrs in Pocketcasts I decided to have a look at the alternatives.... And Podcast Addict already does all the things I've been holding out hope for PC adding, while fixing some of the idiosyncrasies that I learned to live with.

Wish I'd checked it out ages ago now.

Maybe I need to check all these apps I've blindly stuck with year on year.

Honestly, I just switched to Google play music for pod casts so I can have one less app.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

Oh, definitely. Fuelly is goddamn incompetent.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

DemonMage posted:

Does it also have a web app? Lack of that would be a deal breaker for me.

Regardless, what cool things does it do that Pocket Casts does not?

It doesn't have a web player, but that's the most upvoted suggestion.

It looks like it handles Youtube, radio stations, and other channels of content.

Tsyni posted:

Honestly, I just switched to Google play music for pod casts so I can have one less app.

I tried using this instead of Pocketcasts for months. I missed skipping ahead 30 seconds with my car's Next button (Google Play skips to the next episode of the podcast, which is the stupidest design), playback speed, programmable up next playlist, etc.. They're also missing a ton of podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Google Play Music still can't make a playlist of podcasts, much less mix podcasts and music.