Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Karate Bastard posted:

e: and in case y'all didn't see this yet, here's a stag beetle and a rhinoceros beetle havin a wrassle
http://i.imgur.com/FxaIBXG.mp4

King of the RING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Hahah, he just flies away at the end there, poor dude

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Yeah, those little guys are really loving strong considering their body weight. If one was human-sized we'd have some One Punch Man poo poo going down. If it didn't immediately suffocate because of its increased weight,of course.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Karate Bastard posted:

Did you know by the way that "moth" is actually an abbreviation for "motherfucker"?

e: and in case y'all didn't see this yet, here's a stag beetle and a rhinoceros beetle havin a wrassle

http://i.imgur.com/FxaIBXG.mp4

next Pokemon is lookin' good.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

that's right stone cold, i'm wwe world champion now, and you better get used to it!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
First of the three planned content updates apparently just got released.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

anilEhilated posted:

it has some cool as hell stuff going on, too. kind of excited to maybe see highwang encounter it for the first time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's interesting to see how games are trying to adapt to the age of Kickstarter.

That said, yeah, giant fields of ash are just... Dark Souls as gently caress? I can't think of better words.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ash falling from the sky still makes me think of Silent Hill first. But it is very Dark Souls.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

anilEhilated posted:

It's Real Real Good.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

If anyone was thinking of picking this up, it's 34% off on Steam this weekend - http://store.steampowered.com/app/367520/Hollow_Knight/

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Zark the Damned posted:

If anyone was thinking of picking this up, it's 34% off on Steam this weekend - http://store.steampowered.com/app/367520/Hollow_Knight/

Its apparently in the top 5 globally sold game on steam right now. Rad.

Also trip report on the new DLC: Dream bosses are rad. One gets SF3 Akuma's shockwave punch super, while the other is magnificently stupid. Dream Travel is basically "Set a waypoint, then use a button combo to warp to it" and it costs one dream monies, but now enemies drop essence and the two new dream fights are replayable so you can subvert that. Also, a boss in Deepnest has gotten stronger but I've no means to test it.

I will also be demonstrating one of the two dream guys today on stream. Not sure if it'll be before or after stream though, but it will be dumb.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update: Episode 15- Infected Crossroads

This was gonna be a cutting room floor clip until it didn't. Infected Crossroads is the result of the first zone getting corrupted after we hit a certain milestone in the game. Usually said milestone is meeting one of the three watchers, but getting the double-jump is also one of the conditions that triggers this change. Infected Crossroads can be a bit alarming to new players, mainly because a lot of the altered enemy patterns can trip up people, but some enemies now have the patented two-damage explosion that we saw in the Fungal Caverns. The most irritating thing however is the closing of the path south of the Stag Carriage, since it makes going to and from the trinket lady much more tedious. The blockage near Failed Knight is also unfortunate, but by this point in the game we rarely go down that path anyway.

We also have the Fungal Core. This place is weirdly out of place, mainly for the reward we get next episode. We do get a bit of relevant lore for the story though, which is a nice thing to see. Also, pretty sure we'll wind up in this area for the big mystery segment at the end of the game. Not much else to say about it though, just kind of an alt route.

Next time, Deepnest.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

The Infected Crossroads was a real "holy poo poo" moment when I first came across it late at night. And yeah, the blocked paths are the worst.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
When I first saw the infected crossroads I immediately raced back to Dirtmouth just to make sure everyone was ok.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Mzbundifund posted:

When I first saw the infected crossroads I immediately raced back to Dirtmouth just to make sure everyone was ok.

I did the exact same thing, which is a good indication of how deeply the game gets you invested in its world.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Re: Lore chat

Demon's Souls and Bloodborne both do a great job of having most of the lore stuff tie in with what you encounter in the game. Bloodborne in particular has pretty much everything in the item descriptions be relevant to some degree.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

demons souls and bloodborne are DEFINITELY some of the tightest experiences when it comes to that stuff out of the whole fromsoft catalog. there being 3 dark souls games meant that things started drifting away at breakneck speed as they went along and layers upon layers were put in place.

i like the way all the games present that sort of background info but it's nice when there's games like hollow knight that are relatively self-contained with how they portray stuff.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Y'all like bugs any?

https://i.imgur.com/etqIzHf.mp4

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
The yellow infection we're seeing reminds me strongly of the Plasmodium, with the difference being that here we see separate cells, which a plasmodium doesn't have, being an aggregate with many nuclei and no cell membranes in between. Basically it looks like a slime mold is eating everything, and it looks really cool.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What a cutie!

Fluttery, tho.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mortons stork posted:

The yellow infection we're seeing reminds me strongly of the Plasmodium, with the difference being that here we see separate cells, which a plasmodium doesn't have, being an aggregate with many nuclei and no cell membranes in between. Basically it looks like a slime mold is eating everything, and it looks really cool.

It's stuff like this why I love animal-themed media like this. There's so much crazy/cool/weird stuff from nature that rarely gets drawn on if you're sticking with a by-the-numbers Tolkien fantasy.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

The Glowing Womb area is always like that. If you visit while you still have Forgotten Crossroads, it looks exactly the same as it does now. It's a nice little hint of things to come.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Started up a play-by-post traditional game set in the Hollow Knight universe. Drop by if you're that particular variety of nerd that likes videogames AND dungeons and dragons.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Drums and rad sign? Delightfully ominous.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

Drums and rad sign? Delightfully ominous.
The game is set in a kingdom carved out of a rusted pile of nuclear waste contaminated soil barrels. Naturally this is never referenced by the bugs in the game because how the heck would they know about any of that?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's a hella neat idea for a game world.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've read the theory somewhere before that the whole game is basically taking place in your backyard and all the characters are just really small.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You make sure to put a hell of an emphasis onto other types of drumming in there too: shamanistic vision quests to the fevered beating of the djembe, scarred warriors borne forth by the war drum, and mad inventors and wise men thinking in tandem at one another by rapping out their theorems in morse on the piping.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

You make sure to put a hell of an emphasis onto other types of drumming in there too: shamanistic vision quests to the fevered beating of the djembe, scarred warriors borne forth by the war drum, and mad inventors and wise men thinking in tandem at one another by rapping out their theorems in morse on the piping.

You better believe there's gonna be plays on words. After all, they don't know what the steel drums are, so the place can't be named after that. They just assume they're the hollow carcasses of enormous bugs, like most of the buildings in the actual game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its an abandoned wyrm frat house and those are all spent kegs

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Dog Kisser posted:

You better believe there's gonna be plays on words. After all, they don't know what the steel drums are, so the place can't be named after that. They just assume they're the hollow carcasses of enormous bugs, like most of the buildings in the actual game.

See, I always assumed that the people of Hallownest just had a really weird sense of architectural aesthetics.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Look at that little guy, loving up China with all sorts of crazy tornados

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd think Failed Knight would have a better name for himself in his dreams.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think the 'champion' bit refers to the idea that the particular grub in that armor was picked out of the group to try and be their champion by using it, since they're otherwise pretty weak compared to other bugs

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The bestiary for those things is actually pretty interesting.
They are a sentient slave/livestock caste. "If one of them begs for it's life, just ignore it. They have nothing to bargain with."
Bug society may have had some flaws.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

They are a sentient slave/livestock caste. "If one of them begs for it's life, just ignore it. They have nothing to bargain with."

DISCLAIMER: Bestiary entries are the personal opinions of the hunter, and do not necessarily reflect the reviews of Hallownest as a whole.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

cant cook creole bream posted:

The Hunter isn't really very representative of (Hallownest) bug society. He holds most of Hallownest in a mixture of contempt and puzzlement. That said, there are little tidbits all over suggesting that the ethics of bug society are not...quite ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

#notallinsects

• Locked thread