Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012
I missed Yano vs Elgin. Is it worth going back to watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Giant Murderbaby posted:

Very yes.

Watching the main now. Reminder that WE HAVE ANOTHER FULL WEEK OF THIS BEFORE THE FINALS. Goodness gracious what a match given these circumstances.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Man EVIL looked really hosed up :( I hope he'll be OK

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Giant Murderbaby posted:

Absolutely 100% do NOT miss this match.

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Watched it. Elgin is going to murder him.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Welp 2-4 and mathematically eliminated by prediction of BIG MIKE winning B block sure looks smart :downsbravo:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Giant Murderbaby posted:

I thought EVIL was the dumbest thing when I started watching the G1 but now I love him.

same. and i thought yano was annoying

that was a big mistake.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
HOLY poo poo EVIL

KENNY

THE TABLE

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jerusalem posted:

It's amazing fuckery, next level fuckery.

Currently watching Kojima x Suzuki, in which "Christ, what an rear end in a top hat!" is being uttered often. These two old bastards have more energy than anything in WWE

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
eesh, looks like kenny gave evil a concussion with the knee.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
either evil is the greatest seller in history or his brain is orange juice concentrate now

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

checksin posted:

either evil is the greatest seller in history or his brain is orange juice concentrate now

According to twitter he's alright

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/892780951306031104

One hell of a sell job if thats what it was

cams
Mar 28, 2003

evil also smashed his own eye doing the side slam off the apron through the table

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Naito question: did he turn face on a specific show or just gradually? Also, when did he change his suit to a red one and does he still wear the mask? If not, why not?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he's not really a face, LIJ is arguably the second-most-heel faction after suzuki-gun

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Any heel who's good in the ring turns face through no fault of their own after being in New Japan for a while. It's inevitable.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So here's one for you, though it probably won't happen. Say Okada drops one along the way to Omega. If they're both 7-1, and then they draw, what happens?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

So here's one for you, though it probably won't happen. Say Okada drops one along the way to Omega. If they're both 7-1, and then they draw, what happens?

Omega advances since he has the head to head victory as a tie breaker

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Gedo makes the tiebreaking vote, pushing Okada through.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Your Boy Fancy posted:

btw this will definitely happen

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Assuming they're both at 15, no one could catch them. It's wrestling so who the gently caress knows you can do whatever you want. Either the match gets restarted and we're on until we get a winner, we do a three-way in the finals, they run back Kenny/Okada during the finals and the winner faces the A Block winner, Kojima wins the block just because, who knows.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh i didnt read the question

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

oh i didnt read the question

Same. Wouldn't they just restart the match? New Japan doesn't really do triple threats

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Assuming they're both at 15, no one could catch them. It's wrestling so who the gently caress knows you can do whatever you want. Either the match gets restarted and we're on until we get a winner, we do a three-way in the finals, they run back Kenny/Okada during the finals and the winner faces the A Block winner, Kojima wins the block just because, who knows.

Vince comes on the TV screen laughs evilly and states the winner of the block is Roman and the G1 is his yard

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Vince comes on the TV screen laughs evilly and states the winner of the block is Roman and the G1 is his yard

Vince playing Gedo to Roman would probably actually get him over.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

Naito question: did he turn face on a specific show or just gradually? Also, when did he change his suit to a red one and does he still wear the mask? If not, why not?

He’s never really turned face, it’s just his “gently caress off” persona has hit off really big with audiences and keeps getting more and more popular as he goes. Unless he’s in Osaka, where they’ll boo the poo poo out of him just because.

He only brings out the mask for big shows. So when he’s in the finals, he’ll probably wear one - and then the next time will be at KOPW in October.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Awesome, that's what i thought. Cheers. When did he debut the mask n suit?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

It was before the G1 a couple years ago. He spent a month in CMLL hanging out with Los Ingobernables

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Super No Vacancy posted:

he's not really a face, LIJ is arguably the second-most-heel faction after suzuki-gun

Anyone who thinks LIJ is more heel than Bullet Club after the death of Daryl at the hands of the coward Bad Luck Fale should be blocked and reported

Seriously though based on how they're getting booked throughout G1 matchups, LIJ are definitely less heel than Bullet Club, who are in turn less heel than Suzukigun

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Yeah it's worth remembering even Fale both worked the face pop spot during the Omega/Suzuki match and was the subtle babyface in the match with ZSJ.

The alignment line def goes Main Force - CHAOS - LIJ - Bullet Club - Suzukigun this year.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Omega's definitely more of a face than EVIL, SANADA, and BUSHi, but Hiromu also presents himself more sympathetically than the BC B team. Read his statements to Kawato after that one match on the last tour.

Really, aside from Suzuki-gun alignment is kinda amorphous. Guys like Tana can be pricks when the occasion calls for it and while he's still best defined as a cool heel they're happy to have Naito get cheered and sell t-shirts. Unless you're in Suzuki-gun you better be able to work both ways when the situation calls for it.

If you want to do a scale:

Main Force - CHAOS- ELITE - LIJ - Rest of BC - Suzuki-gun

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012
The crowd seem to really love when Naito heels it up. It seems to me the logic of the booking doesn't adhere to strict heel/face binaries and just goes with what gets heat. Then again I don't know poo poo about Japanese pro-wrestling so whatever.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

When your presented in more of a sports way of wrestling you can be more loose in Face/Heal and change as the town demands it

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It is much much much more fluid than WWE, and allowing people in the middle (LIJ/Bullet Club) to work either way definitely allows them to be more interesting than just one-note heels.

I'd go with Skinty's ladder but put LIJ and BC as equals heel-wise.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
can we count the elite as a separate force from bullet club so their gigantic babyface popularity outside of japan doesn't throw off the scale
like, nobody's wearing a bullet club shirt because there's a big hangman page or tonga loa fan

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The G1 Climax 27 will be remembered as one thing and one thing only — the coming out party of future ace, King of Darkness EVIL.

If, and I mean IF, it is remembered for a second thing, it will be the best tournament workrate wise in history.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

whoop my freaking rear end strong style.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

A lot of guys I was cool on are impressing me this G1. SANADA and EVIL are both really impressing me and Yoshi-Hashi is a guy that I still don't really like but the more I see him the more I want to.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

harperdc posted:

It is much much much more fluid than WWE, and allowing people in the middle (LIJ/Bullet Club) to work either way definitely allows them to be more interesting than just one-note heels.

I'd go with Skinty's ladder but put LIJ and BC as equals heel-wise.

Guys tend to stay true to their characters regardless of the role, so the fluidity is logical. Compare to WWE which to a degree tries to do the same "there are no more faces or heels" dynamic; WWE struggles with this because characters are a lot more bipolar.

Example: Tanahashi is generally a good guy, loves the fans, etc., but it's not out of character for him to flex the ego a bit and be cocky when he goes up against someone lower on the card. This lets him heel it up in the match and get a ton of heat without confusing fans as to what they should be doing (booing, cheering, whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

They are on such an amazing run right now. For every person they lose to injury or to the WWE someone steps up their game immensely like Evil or some ridiculous talent emerges like Hiromu.

• Locked thread