Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

World gen is pretty amazing now, they did a great job jazzing things up.

There are some hilarious glitches though, especially when mountains are involved. You'll see a crazy circular plateau sticking out the side of a hill where the POI placement demanded a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there a current goon server?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Vengarr posted:

Is there a current goon server?

...Asked a goon every page.

Someone put that poo poo in the OP please.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Honestly, I am just surprised the world generator works for crap now. I tried in a few builds ago and never got anything good, but now it seems to spawn towns and roads somewhat reliably and well. Looking forward to seeing what comes in the next couple of builds.

The new city generation/POI socket system is very good compared to before, and it shows. Towns are a lot more organic and not just a 10x10 grid of buildings. The terrain generation needs some work. There's not a lot of issues like there were back in A14, but I still see roads that end in solid walls 100 blocks high, and biomes next to eachother that don't make sense (winter/desert without any elevation change).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

lol this game is never gonna be release ready they'll run out of money and dip eventually

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Eh, it's been pretty 'playable' for years.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

lol this game is never gonna be release ready they'll run out of money and dip eventually

I still see people buying it on my steam activity feed. I bet they sell a bunch when they do the full release as well, if it ever happens.

Its done a lot better than some other early release games, thats for sure. They cant be in too bad of shape if they are looking to hire people.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
After a couple of days of forging, you can very easily build a concrete wall with one layer of iron spikes around it. As long as you don't leave your base the screamers will just kill themselves on the wall. If you have a visible door they will break down your door fast, because we all know that bare hands can get through iron or steel.

Build a ramp up to the roof, make a gap you need to jump over, and put a hatch on the roof and a ladder going down inside. You'll only see the screamers when you leave the bunker.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't understand why I keep coming back to this game. I always think about how cool it will be to build a secret bunker base, or a spike-ringed steel house, or raid a skyscraper, and then I end up spending two hours just slamming an axe into trees and rocks. Looting buildings is fun, but I'll be in a room I cleared out and have three zombies just spawn in right in my field of vision. Funny at first, but kind of annoying. Then at night I sit in my house for 15 minutes looking at things I can't craft because I don't have the recipe yet. I'm feeling like Valmod Overhaul might have been a mistake, but Vanilla really isn't all that different.

This game feels like a really fun loop unnecessarily tied down by grinding. And yet, I will probably play it again tonight.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

I haven't played valmod overhaul, but I played a lot of valmod extension back around 14 and 15. In those, you could definitely 'buy' some of the schematics that are missing. In valmod, you could get skill point upgrades via items you could get from scrapping books you'd already read, etc. So farming those was quite profitable.

That said, there's definitely more grinding than there should be. If you're playing solo instead of the server, consider just upping the loot percentage, honestly. It just means you only have to hit half as many safes/etc to get a decent haul, and you're still gated on the too-small backpack. (Since it's not grown as the pool of item types has)

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Power Walrus posted:

I don't understand why I keep coming back to this game. I always think about how cool it will be to build a secret bunker base, or a spike-ringed steel house, or raid a skyscraper, and then I end up spending two hours just slamming an axe into trees and rocks. Looting buildings is fun, but I'll be in a room I cleared out and have three zombies just spawn in right in my field of vision. Funny at first, but kind of annoying. Then at night I sit in my house for 15 minutes looking at things I can't craft because I don't have the recipe yet. I'm feeling like Valmod Overhaul might have been a mistake, but Vanilla really isn't all that different.

This game feels like a really fun loop unnecessarily tied down by grinding. And yet, I will probably play it again tonight.

Hit F1, type 'CM', use creative menu.

Problem solved.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

JB50 posted:

Its done a lot better than some other early release games, thats for sure. They cant be in too bad of shape if they are looking to hire people.

The game has 37,500 reviews on Steam.

They must be in loving amazing shape.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Yeah I guess I felt the "grind" for a bit, in that I wanted to make steel things and couldn't because I need to get a bunch of prerequisite skills or something. It's mostly tied around gathering resources though, which has a positive feedback loop (miner 69er gives greater resource gathering, speeding up your exp gain). Once I got steel I found myself having plenty of skill points for whatever, and I haven't since felt any need to grind levels, however I still level up because I need resources to build my stupid bases. Also zombies. But honestly there's little need to go to the "vertical dungeons", nothing there that you can't get elsewhere, so you can get pretty far with just a bow and arrows for clearing small pois.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Those sound like good ways to improve the fun. I do really like what Valmod does with the starting classes, and there are pretty generous skill drops. I guess I'll probably CM gift myself a stack of wood when the chopping gets old. Thanks!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
The grind to get crossbows sucks. I haven't had a crossbow schematic drop for the first 15 days in the last 2 games I played. I only got it because Dr. S gave me a crossbow, and about 10 days later I found a schematic.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I used a crossbow and sledgehammer exclusively until I was 75, before I realized that not using any firearms was slowing down my leveling.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

redreader posted:

The grind to get crossbows sucks. I haven't had a crossbow schematic drop for the first 15 days in the last 2 games I played. I only got it because Dr. S gave me a crossbow, and about 10 days later I found a schematic.

You can always buy it from a trader, you know.

(I mean not always, but it seems to pop up pretty frequently IME)

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Power Walrus posted:

Those sound like good ways to improve the fun. I do really like what Valmod does with the starting classes, and there are pretty generous skill drops. I guess I'll probably CM gift myself a stack of wood when the chopping gets old. Thanks!

Until 16.2, move as quickly as you can to making cobblestone rocks->cobblestone blocks (or flagstone?) instead of wood blocks.

Cheaper/faster to harvest (rock+clay) than wood, until they fix the wood block recipe in 16.2

Wood thankfully was otherwise buffed (furnace time etc) for the most part in this release. Later on, harvesting wood won't be such a chore. 16.2 is also buffing low end iron fireaxe I think.

Crossbow is my favorite all-around item, most playthoughs I've had the 'luck' of finding crossbow schematic in endgame. WELP. Thankfully, not so bad this time. I think I bought @ trader iirc.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

If no one is online on a server, does the game pause, or does time keep progressing?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I feel like the grind is, in some ways, less than in previous versions. Maybe I just had a good start but getting to iron wasn't so bad, and from there, steel was pretty easy. I've got a fair array of tools, a minibike, and two bases on day 28. It feels like the general droprate of schematics and guns and general 'cool poo poo' was improved from a few builds ago.

The game could be better, though. I'd like it if there were a few more options to customize things in single-player without having to edit. The start is kind of boring if you're familiar with it, and a little awkward if you're not. Having the option to start as a class or pick some items from from a pre-game pool with a limited amount of points would be fun. Being able to throw some switches to customize the enemies would be nice.

Looking forward to seeing how the game develops. Bought it ages ago, kind of forgot about it until a16, and I'm pretty happy about how things have turned out.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm waiting until 16.2 to start a new game.

Tried a few random gens, but the generated worlds are way too lovely.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Use the little tool to see if there's anything around spawn worth it or use a fixed seed that someone has found that'd good.

Also of course the grind is less I don't have to make thousands of stone shovels, campfires, wooden clubs or iron arrowheads and scrap them.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

If no one is online on a server, does the game pause, or does time keep progressing?

Game pauses if no one is online on a server.

Vittek
Nov 8, 2006
Thanks to this thread i finally caved in and got me this little gem. So far i like it, the worldgen is pretty good and its pretty hard, at least for me. But the thing that bothers me are the stutters. Every other second the game has some weird stutter, despite running the game on a ssd and a 1080. Any fix for that? I tried messing with the video options but nothing really helps.

Jethz
Sep 17, 2004

Vittek posted:

Thanks to this thread i finally caved in and got me this little gem. So far i like it, the worldgen is pretty good and its pretty hard, at least for me. But the thing that bothers me are the stutters. Every other second the game has some weird stutter, despite running the game on a ssd and a 1080. Any fix for that? I tried messing with the video options but nothing really helps.

We only really get stutter when someone is driving a bike fast into newly generating terrain and it lags the whole server, but otherwise that doesn't sound like it should normally happen if you're just walking around on your own.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Config file had 8 max players on the server, but I must have upgraded to 12 at some point. Fixed..

Server info for any newcomers:

64.94.95.162:22854
pass: lljk

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Vittek posted:

Happens here, almost as if it's loading something, and it judders. It's intermittent, I'm on a 4.4ghz 6600k, 1080, and 3700mhz rams. It seems worse then a15.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

PowderKeg posted:

Config file had 8 max players on the server, but I must have upgraded to 12 at some point. Fixed..

Server info for any newcomers:

64.94.95.162:22854
pass: lljk

Speaking of this server. On my constant night time roving I found a base in the north between two cities on a road (Hide Hole or something?). Is this still someone's active base? Don't want to go looting the cities if it is going to get me in conflict with someone.

Also if you run across a half built "fort" aka Fort Half rear end, that one is mine. The signs out front also list blood moon days.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The zombie prevention radius of a bedroll - is it only horizontal, or both horizontal and vertical.

Meaning if I place my bedroll on the roof of a skyscraper, will zombies continue spawning on the lower floors?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Maguoob posted:

Speaking of this server. On my constant night time roving I found a base in the north between two cities on a road (Hide Hole or something?). Is this still someone's active base? Don't want to go looting the cities if it is going to get me in conflict with someone.

Also if you run across a half built "fort" aka Fort Half rear end, that one is mine. The signs out front also list blood moon days.

Someone told me he built it for a friend. It's pretty unfinished though so it won't really save you unless it's fixed up.

Corgiflop
Dec 1, 2005

Maximum Derp

Maguoob posted:

Kickass! You found my lil base - feel free to grab whatever you need or hide there if caught out in the middle of the night. I don't even tend to loot the two towns much (if at all), so go nuts!

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Corgiflop posted:

Kickass! You found my lil base - feel free to grab whatever you need or hide there if caught out in the middle of the night. I don't even tend to loot the two towns much (if at all), so go nuts!

I'll probably be storing more than taking from there, since it'll be a good spot to loot the towns from because my little base is like 4 km away.

Vittek
Nov 8, 2006

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Happens here, almost as if it's loading something, and it judders. It's intermittent, I'm on a 4.4ghz 6600k, 1080, and 3700mhz rams. It seems worse then a15.

Yeah exactly. Seems to be related to zombies as it seems to away when no zombies are around.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Vittek posted:

Yeah exactly. Seems to be related to zombies as it seems to away when no zombies are around.

Yeah, the stutter I get is definitely related to fighting zombies. I'm guessing they're not pre-loading or cacheing some asset they need (sound effect or otherwise) because it always happens early on in some fight. I think it's hitching on the IO. Just a guess, though.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Well 16.2 stable hotfix is out and it has some fixes designed to eat up less memory. That's why it went into unstable first, they weren't sure if it would require a map wipe but everything seems ok.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Did it add craftable paper?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Did it add craftable paper?

Yes an oil!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Powderkeg, will you update the server or leave it as is?

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
updating now..

...done

PowderKeg fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Mine auto updated, now it won't load my save.

E - yea, previous beta versions won't either. It's hosed it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 4, 2017