Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Koopa Kid posted:

Tulsky just hired datarink to work with him for the Canes so no more fun arcade-style shot graphics next year I guess.

Canes are building a sleeper here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

All the songs tailored to the retractable roof is pretty terrible, but I dont' think it even touches the Disneyification of the Ducks intro. Like I get Disney owns it, but that fuckin Beauty and the Beast candle opening it up for a new franchise? Come on.

That looked like something out of The Simpsons with the special song and lyrics dedicated to the Skydome.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

glynnenstein posted:

Canes are building a sleeper here.

They're gonna be the next Panthers and have one promising year and then immediately go back on it. I hope.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Kilza posted:

This is a clearly a sign to stop relying on those gosh dang fancy stats and spreadsheets!!! Watch the games nerd!!

why even watch the games even? just get hot takes from your local beat writer instead

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

eXXon posted:

Yo what the gently caress happened to hockeyanalysis and puckalytics, where am I supposed to get my sweet WOWYs from now?

https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/892962573519400960

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
gently caress Calgary

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Delightfully on-brand for both Burke and Johnson.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Me, when I hear the news: WOWY!

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Mike Fisher announced he's retiring.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Boo, he had one more year in him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thufir posted:

Boo, he had one more year in him.

With Fisher retiring, Markov going to Russia and Neil and Gionta still unsigned I believe that means the 1998 NHL draft has officially passed into history.

RIP 1998 NHL Entry Draft
June 27, 1998 - August 3, 2017.

It is survived by the 1991 (Jagr), 1995 (Doan/Iginla), 1996 (Chara) and 1997 (Thornton/Marleau) drafts.

In paradisum deducant te Angeli

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'm going to start an NHL stats site and then get hired by some team in their "analytics department".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mind_Taker posted:

I'm going to start an NHL stats site and then get hired by some team in their "analytics department".

According to that one guy it costs $100-200k a year to run one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm gonna make the FOMIPM chart this year, fooling old men into paying me.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
alls you need is indecipherable charts, an air of smugness, and no actual "playing hockey" experience

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder what's happening to the guy who built Puckalytics. It was David's data but David didn't build it.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
To the surprise of no one, it looks like the Blues will be affiliating with the San Antonio Rampage starting next year.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

bewbies posted:

alls you need is indecipherable charts, an air of smugness, and no actual "playing hockey" experience

and some really janky r scripts that take five seconds to run on a website

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Normally, I'd say "No, you're doing it wrong, you're supposed to retire after WINNING a Cup", but when the alternative is millions of dollars and Carrie Underwood, I can't fault the man. :respek:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

According to that one guy it costs $100-200k a year to run one.

I'm just going to make a Google Sheet, populate it with made up numbers, give the columns fancy sounding names, and wait until Garth Snow calls to offer me a job.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

glynnenstein posted:

I pay for http://hockeyviz.com/ pretty pictures but most of it is free.

I stuck with Corsica and Puckalytics for awhile and haven't really checked out this site. Can you give me an example what the season summary and season skater cards look like? I can't find an example on the site itself.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Technetium posted:

I stuck with Corsica and Puckalytics for awhile and haven't really checked out this site. Can you give me an example what the season summary and season skater cards look like? I can't find an example on the site itself.

Sure. I'm a fan so I'm happy to pimp his work for everybody here.

The Caps season summary for 2016-2017:

Here's a couple of those visualizations up close:

A game summary for May 8 vs the Pens:

And an individual player summary for that game, in this case Backstrom:

And since I'm sure everyone would demand it, a gallery of all of the visualizations for Tom Wilson's 2016-2017 season summary. The only one missing from his is 5v4 shot locations because I'm pretty sure the value for that is null.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Here are a stack of images that are significantly worse than just using the numbers.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's like having a stroke while looking at paint swatches.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The only conclusion I can draw from those charts is that I can't read some of them because they're so loving tiny.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It's definitely not for everybody, but it's a lot of information and context very quickly. For example, I can look at the game summary matchup viz and get a good idea of which players were up against whom and which side got the better of it right away.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

yellowcar posted:

The only conclusion I can draw from those charts is that I can't read some of them because they're so loving tiny.

Yeah, they don't pass the eye test for me either.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
if only there was another way to determine who won a hockey game

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
yeah it's too bad they got rid of it huh

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

It's not about who won a hockey game, it's about who will win the next one.

Humans love to try and predict the future even when it's repeatedly demonstrated that we can't actually do it. Best case we get sorta close.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

It's not about who won a hockey game, it's about who will win the next one.

Humans love to try and predict the future even when it's repeatedly demonstrated that we can't actually do it. Best case we get sorta close.

Weather is probably the closest we can get, and even then everything is expressed in percentages. And then people get really bitchy when it's off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not how precipitation chance works, drat it!

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

"[img posted:

http://i.imgur.com/zOqc5qz.jpg[/img]" post="475004225"]

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

bewbies posted:

There is. It's called HITS. The team with the most hits wins. Only tough teams that display grit and pugnacity are allowed to hoist the Stanley Cup. :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kilza posted:

There is. It's called HITS. The team with the most hits wins. Only tough teams that display grit and pugnacity are allowed to hoist the Stanley Cup. :colbert:

Ken Holland account spotted

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Just lol if you can't check the data to see Cody Franson was the best Sabre defenseman last year

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

don maloney is the vp of player operations in calgary now

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

hifi posted:

don maloney is the vp of player operations in calgary now

all the grinders

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

all the grinders

Except John Scott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

ThinkTank posted:

With Fisher retiring, Markov going to Russia and Neil and Gionta still unsigned I believe that means the 1998 NHL draft has officially passed into history.

RIP 1998 NHL Entry Draft
June 27, 1998 - August 3, 2017.

It is survived by the 1991 (Jagr), 1995 (Doan/Iginla), 1996 (Chara) and 1997 (Thornton/Marleau) drafts.

In paradisum deducant te Angeli
Ahhhh poo poo the guys in the 1998 draft are my age. Now I feel old as balls. :corsair:

Also I guess this means my hockey dreams are probably over huh.

• Locked thread