Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myron
Jul 13, 2009

This is a fun little game. I thought the length and difficulty was just right. I agree with Doom Goon that it feels a bit like a spectrum or C64 game. The level design reminds of some old arcade adventures, except the game world isn't as big (obviously) and it's less obscure, which is good. Two things that bothered me a little were enemies turning invincible (which you already mentioned) and getting hit in midair could send you all the way into another screen. Not a big deal though. The fact that this is an actual NES game that runs on a real NES...emulator (I used nestopia) is worth all the bonus points.

Shoehead posted:

https://shoehead.itch.io/dum

Got it done some time before midnight my time and immediately went to bed, but here's the public version! Submitted it with a possibly game breaking bug, oh no!

I'm not a huge fan of this type of shooter, so I can't say too much about the gameplay. I think the crosshair could have moved a little faster and in windowed mode, it's easy to accidentally click outside of the window and minimize it. Other than that it plays fine, and there's a decent variety of weapons and enemy types. The graphics are fantastic! The sprites look great and all the little details (blood, explosions etc.) feel just right, even the options menu looks slick as hell. The same goes for the sound. I was gonna say this is super polished, but I did indeed run into a gamebraking bug :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Having problems getting invited to my team, no email or anything.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Myron posted:

This is a fun little game. I thought the length and difficulty was just right. I agree with Doom Goon that it feels a bit like a spectrum or C64 game. The level design reminds of some old arcade adventures, except the game world isn't as big (obviously) and it's less obscure, which is good. Two things that bothered me a little were enemies turning invincible (which you already mentioned) and getting hit in midair could send you all the way into another screen. Not a big deal though. The fact that this is an actual NES game that runs on a real NES...emulator (I used nestopia) is worth all the bonus points.

I'm not a huge fan of this type of shooter, so I can't say too much about the gameplay. I think the crosshair could have moved a little faster and in windowed mode, it's easy to accidentally click outside of the window and minimize it. Other than that it plays fine, and there's a decent variety of weapons and enemy types. The graphics are fantastic! The sprites look great and all the little details (blood, explosions etc.) feel just right, even the options menu looks slick as hell. The same goes for the sound. I was gonna say this is super polished, but I did indeed run into a gamebraking bug :v:

Oh you mean the...wait hang on I fixed the one I knew about!!

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I didn't get a screenshot and I don't know when it happened exactly. I just played again until I got a game over and everything was fine.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Myron posted:

I didn't get a screenshot and I don't know when it happened exactly. I just played again until I got a game over and everything was fine.

You didnt end up with a shadow flashing on the ground did you?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Praseodymi posted:

Having problems getting invited to my team, no email or anything.

You don't get an invite email, it shows up as a notification on the site when you log in.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

blastron posted:

You don't get an invite email, it shows up as a notification on the site when you log in.

I'm not seeing it.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Praseodymi posted:

I'm not seeing it.

Did you use the same email to sign up as the email you're being invited with?

If you are, and there's no notification, pop in Discord and ask for help there.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Fast Forward Record Rewind is done and up and ready for public consumption!

It's a stealth-ish game. It's got music, and running and sprites of drums as seen above. I'd describe it more but I'm typing 3 words at a time between shooting down carts in Bootleg Miners. I'm on level 12 and can't tell if there's and ending but I'm going to see if I can't find out! Level 13!

All the games I've played so far are good!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Legs is done!

https://midoski.itch.io/legs?secret=EQQjipvqQM2OAmXaqMeE2zhjm7w

I'll make this a real itch.io page soon but I have left the server up so feel free to join.

This is fantastic, even though i just got to beat up on your AFK body

I kicked him around until he was at 420%, then launched him, and then he didn't respawn because I killed him so good, so I had a lie down and left. I want to play this against people, though!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

This is fantastic, even though i just got to beat up on your AFK body

I kicked him around until he was at 420%, then launched him, and then he didn't respawn because I killed him so good, so I had a lie down and left. I want to play this against people, though!

I recommend everyone interested in this spend some time getting used to jumping around and using both legs cleverly to maintain your air control, it's real fun once you grok the mechanics and my friends and I kept getting locked in 2 hour playtesting sessions. I'm going to organize some promo material tonight to make a trailer which will demonstrate the potential fun of the game.

PROTIP: You can lie down backwards. I was originally going to not fix that bug but add laying down animations, maybe I will when I make a real map.

edit: I want to organize a larger group play but I'm out of town this weekend sadly, I'm hoping to be in wifi range on Saturday when hopefully JonTerp will do Legs on the gong show :pray:

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 2, 2017

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

wew finally done, here's b00tl3g kr3w, a game about joining a 90s irc cracking group and bootlegging popular console roms

Congrats on being featured on RPS.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Please check out our game Pathfinder 2! now available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qysDiRR2KXw

I was the 3d artist for team punch fight and had a blast getting to make the environments props and character for this unreal engine puzzle game. thank you Blastron and Ultigonio,

http://www.awfuljams.com/awful-summer-jam-2017/games/punch-fight-7-boot-to-the-head

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Here's some thoughts about 7 games.

Bootleg Bernie and his Album Making Journey
Same general idea for the jam! Yay! Great minds etc etc. A simple top-down stealth/punchy game about recording live shows for money. The mechanics work well and guards/touts behave predictably, and the text components are funny. I would have liked to play more levels, at least of the stealth part. I like the idea of passing out your card before the show, but it does go on a little long (on subsequent playthroughs I skipped it at least partially). If you were to expand the game I might suggest adding more obstacles/features to the time-killing stages. My only negative opinion is that during the recording stage, guards’ vision cones are removed after a long enough period without suspicious activity. This can make it difficult to predict how safe you are as guards who are nearby might instantly turn to see you and shut off the speaker without you realizing how close they were. Also it would be nice if the garbage cans blocked the guards’ vision. Good solid little game! Well done.

DMCA Takedown - Seize and Desist
Supernorn did a great job on the design and animation of the characters. The music is nice, and the VO in the opening is as well. Two hits is too few, though. The windup of the attackers is a little short and so it’s pretty difficult to CRIT SHIELD them reliably. Unfortunately the background is a bit blurry too, making Supernorn’s very pretty art a little less very pretty. It’s a shame you all didn’t have more time to flesh this game out, it woulda been nice to see more of all the things! And then punch them.

Tamale Drive
Hatchi matchi. I really enjoyed this. The title screen/main characters art is so pretty, and the music fits very very well. The minigames are varied enough with random distribution, though I got the DVD catching one about 5 times in a row on Day 3. I also got pegged with a strike despite there not being a cop (I think, at least. I definitely didn’t see one afterwards). Despite that though, it’s a fun, relaxing, well made game. There was a thing that was clever and I don't want to mention it in case it spoils it for others, but kudos to you for that thing. Good job!

Note: Rogelio’s needs to shaaaaaave that thing.

b00tl3g kr3w

Again, Krillin makes a fun and good game that is funny. The typing and desktop controls are fun and functional, the games are all enjoyable and silly, the music is well made and appropriate, and I love that god drat hedgehog sprite. I love it. The opening was also very very good. I would have enjoyed some more of it, and if the IRC messages changed depending on your input (I tried a couple and didn’t see any differences). But those two tiny things aside, a job well done!

Bootleg Miners
Duck hunt, Tim Allen’s idiot sounds, NES cartridges being propelled by rockets through the air. It’s like a time machine to my childhood. I got pretty far in but if there’s an ending, I doubt I’ll be able to see it. The light-gun black flash thing works really nicely, and Gus makes a good noise. Good Noise Gus. It’s a little thin, but the increase in speed really gets to be a kick in the butt past level 10. Simple! Clean! Frustrating! Well done.

JUICE
Note: After I beat it I went back and jumped up into the first block repeatedly until I died just to make sure … it would happen? I guess? The audio breakdown around the first transition was well done. I enjoyed the different weapons, though the Tesla gun isn’t as useful and crazy as I was hoping for. It also lags quite a bit when there’s too many bullets or enemies on screen which is a shame, but not that big a deal. The use of sprites/backgrounds from various properties was pretty well done, and the final boss design was good, and also funny. -100 points for the sullying of the ™™™Halo™™™Energy™™™Sword™™™’s image through inaccurate representation of it’s functionality! I liked it.

DüM II: Heck on Earf
Do you like cool art? Cuz this game is for you. Visuals are amazing, flat-out. The music is very very good, as are the sound effects. It’s a bit short, but there’s so much in the components that add to a feeling of … significance? It feels like a big deal, even though it doesn’t last that long. No bugs in my experience, luckily! The floating powerups are a good improvement from mid-jam floor-powerups. Those’ll get your powerups covered in dirt and grim right quick.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Shoehead posted:

You didnt end up with a shadow flashing on the ground did you?

I don't remember, sorry.
Man, there are a lot of games I wanna try, but I probably won't get to until friday.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Giggs posted:

Tamale Drive
Hatchi matchi. I really enjoyed this. The title screen/main characters art is so pretty, and the music fits very very well. The minigames are varied enough with random distribution, though I got the DVD catching one about 5 times in a row on Day 3. I also got pegged with a strike despite there not being a cop (I think, at least. I definitely didn’t see one afterwards). Despite that though, it’s a fun, relaxing, well made game. There was a thing that was clever and I don't want to mention it in case it spoils it for others, but kudos to you for that thing. Good job!

Note: Rogelio’s needs to shaaaaaave that thing.

Thank you so much for the impressions and write up, really happy to hear you liked it!

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem

Giggs posted:

Bootleg Miners
Duck hunt, Tim Allen’s idiot sounds, NES cartridges being propelled by rockets through the air. It’s like a time machine to my childhood. I got pretty far in but if there’s an ending, I doubt I’ll be able to see it. The light-gun black flash thing works really nicely, and Gus makes a good noise. Good Noise Gus. It’s a little thin, but the increase in speed really gets to be a kick in the butt past level 10. Simple! Clean! Frustrating! Well done.

Thanks a tonne for the write-up! (And to the others as well) This was the first thing I've made since finishing the Unity tutorials. It's super great to hear that what I was trying to make (simple, small scope, nostalgic ripoff) turned out generally not horrendous.

I can't wait to play some of these when I get home from work. KurmFrog looks like the wild adventure in state sponsored education I sorely need.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
Hey hey! Congrats everyone on their submissions! All the games look very awesome, I'm stoked to play through them.

I am offering up my now-traditional prize for the Best Game Page! "Best" here is entirely subjective and will be decided by me after judging is over. Don't forget - you can still go in and change and edit your game page and pretty it up!

Things that usually impress me are well laid out, informative, and/or helpful pages. Or perhaps just a really cool looking one, or one that's enjoyable to read! I have no set-in-stone parameters.

:siren: The winner of Best Game Page will receive a Steam copy of Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator! :siren:

If you already own it and you win, we will work something out :)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

:siren: The winner of Best Game Page will receive a Steam copy of Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator! :siren:

Dang, I know somebody who really wants that.

I think there may be a bug with regard to embedded video on awfuljams.com. Any time I view my page it does not show the embedded video, but whenever I go to edit it the embedded video shows up just fine in the preview section. This persists across a wide range of browsers and OSs.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Some words about the 12 most recently-submitted games. I'll do the next 12 tomorrow! Good job everyone who entered a game, I've really enjoyed checking these out.

BootQuake by Team Stimpire
Please add a download link to the jam page!

Smash Boyz by Team Krell!!!!

Goddamn Krell's games are always a treat and this one was no exception. The intro was incredible and the music really adds to it all. I love the idea of the game and you really pulled it off.

The scrolling background looks really good, the fighting animations are super good, I particularly love the juice on the kill move and how it does splash damage. Several times I found myself grinning ear-to-ear. Decent amount of variety in the gameplay and it always got switched up before I got bored.

Highlight: The animations on the character select screen. The awesome boss-fights and animations.

Headphone Hero by Team ChickinWings
Please add a download link to the jam page!

PUNCH FIGHT 7: BOOT TO THE HEAD by TEAM PUNCH FIGHT

I love the concept for this game, the stories of developers putting into fuckyous to the people who crack their games are always funny. I enjoyed driving around and going for long-jumps in the car and the visuals are incredible. I didn't get on too well with the puzzles though and got stuck in one of the rooms.

Highlight: I don't know how much of this is stock UE4 stuff but the models and visuals everywhere were fantastic. The lighting looked lovely and the UI was very polished.

Smash-em Randal by TeamTime000
Well done for finishing a game alone in the time limit. I dig the idea of the multiple characters traversing the level in different ways depending on your abilities. Unfortunately I gave up getting the final ending because the platforming was extremely frustrating. I've seen people go through a similar thing with trying wrangle a 2d physics engine into doing what you want it to in a platformer. Come hangout in irc or post in the thread if you need help or get stuck!

Highlight:: That's crate!

SUPER MEGA 256-IN-1 by SEXY LOCAL TEAM IN YOUR AREA
I'd forgotten about these compendiums! I remember having a few as a kid now. Great bootleg renditions of old games, I particularly liked the sonic bones one. I didn't manage to discover all the hidden secrets but it's cool that the games link together. Also you have the best team name.

Highlight: The weird after-vision effects from staring at the lines all the time.

BOOTLEGS by poot n toot
Wow! I love a good physics platformer and this one really made mee smile. When I lost my first leg I totally didn't see it coming (didn't read the title screen) and it was amazing! I love how the game changes as you lose legs and you can end up in some really cute-looking configurations. Excellent music and environments to go with the funny physics and concept. And good work making it a web-game!

Highlight: snakeboots

Red Planet IV by Missing Sentinel Software
I love a pico-8 game! Makes me want to use it for the next jam I do. The music here is incredible and I love the aesthetic. I don't really get how it fits the theme but I didn't get past the second level so I may have missed something.

Highlight: awesome music, thanks for putting out a soundtrack!

Crazy Smuggler by Another Thing Named Colbert
I never managed to survive a full round of this with money to spare! The traffic is brutal. I loved driving around at speed and watching the traffic though. Cool village environment and I liked the effects on drinking the booze.

Highlight: Sometimes it seemed like all the drivers were drunk! I bet traffic is a tricky thing to code though :)

Soul Castle by Chroma Inc
This game looks great, the character animations are superb! I found it a bit too difficult and it was annoying to repeat the sections due to how slowly the character moves and attacks. The music is pretty sweet and I hope Jonterp is better at it than I so i can see more of the game.

Highlight: I love the way the orange skellies jump around and throw bones, good job putting life into them!

The Booze Barn by Some Brothers Studios
Lovely music and environments. I started to feel for the character with the nice dialogue. I like how with the game's mechanics you caused the upgrades to work as helpers in your problem areas but making it not-too-tricky to get the maximum score in each game.

Highlight: Actual learning about the booze-brewing process!

Awful Runners
Sailing games really appeal to me and this one's really nice. The ambience in particular is really great. I had some fun sailing around and getting rich! Sometimes I found is hard to see how fast I was going, it would have been nice to have some watery ripples or something to get some perspective.

Highlight: Navigating on a map without yourself as an arrow on it is great! I am absolutely awful at it though!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Tann posted:

PUNCH FIGHT 7: BOOT TO THE HEAD by TEAM PUNCH FIGHT

I love the concept for this game, the stories of developers putting into fuckyous to the people who crack their games are always funny. I enjoyed driving around and going for long-jumps in the car and the visuals are incredible. I didn't get on too well with the puzzles though and got stuck in one of the rooms.

Highlight: I don't know how much of this is stock UE4 stuff but the models and visuals everywhere were fantastic. The lighting looked lovely and the UI was very polished.

Thanks for playing! Sorry to hear you got stuck; it's actually 50/50 on whether we missed an edge case in the puzzle logic or we didn't telegraph what was going on well enough.

The graphics are 100% us, and by that I mean 95% Typical and 5% me loving around with shaders. Glad you like them, getting everything to look right while still being a solid gameplay experience was really challenging!

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

Hammer Bro. posted:

Dang, I know somebody who really wants that.

I think there may be a bug with regard to embedded video on awfuljams.com. Any time I view my page it does not show the embedded video, but whenever I go to edit it the embedded video shows up just fine in the preview section. This persists across a wide range of browsers and OSs.

Iframes are filtered out by the markdown -> html converter at the moment, sorry 'bout that.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Tann posted:

BOOTLEGS by poot n toot
Wow! I love a good physics platformer and this one really made mee smile. When I lost my first leg I totally didn't see it coming (didn't read the title screen) and it was amazing! I love how the game changes as you lose legs and you can end up in some really cute-looking configurations. Excellent music and environments to go with the funny physics and concept. And good work making it a web-game!

Highlight: snakeboots

Thanks for checking it out and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

The games this year all look really fun. I can't wait to check them all out tonight.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
b00tl3g kr3w on Rock Paper Shotgun

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Been working all day and have a product release tonight, but I'll try and record some LP stuff tomorrow evening.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I played more games!

Missile Champions
The game started off okay. Some back and forth, jumps, boosting all around. Real sports, like back in the day, before Car Soccer became so commercial. Then it hit. A streak. A 7 goal streak by the CPU, with no small amount of help from my own drat teammates. Were they in on it? Did they take a bribe to throw this game or perhaps they Tim Donaghy’d us. I can’t say. All I can say is that I fought for it, like the best of em ever did. I won god drat it. God drat my teammates, god drat my enemies and god drat the ball, I beat em all. 10-7, final score.

It’s fun! From the nice sprites, to the pretty boost trail to that one song I’ve definitely heard but would never be able to tell where I knew it from. Luckily its name was given in the credits screen, which was itself very nice. It also apparently runs at 3k fps according to Fraps. Huh!

Also well done on the progress reports on your game page. I haven’t read them yet but I gave them a scan and it made me wish I’d kept up with that practice.

Overreach
I think the Controls menu has a typo: it says arrow keys, but only WASD works for me in-game. This looks so nice, the presentation mid-match is slick and colourful and pretty. The audience is surprisingly nice too, you can really tell the Dowel people apart. It’s good that they’re represented! It’s a bit button mashy and since my arrow keys didn’t work I was playing one handed which I was not … great at. It’s quite satisfying to kill the dang CPU after I got ruined in the first couple games. Again, the effects and presentation are so good. I also don’t have anyone to play with which is unfortunate for many reasons, so I can’t attest to how fun that can be. Probably pretty fun. I’m pretty sure it’d be fun.

Unfortunately I have to give the game a 0/10 on my premium videogame review website marioandsonicshouldkiss.com, because it doesn’t support my Dual Shock 1. (it probably would with x360ce or something but I didn’t try, I know)

Legs
I spent what, 20 minutes running around, kicking your unresponsive body into the water. I’d talk about the aspects of the game but they’re going to be pretty heavily tied into actually playing with other people. I am looking forward to this a bunch. Once you get used to the locomotion of LEGS then it all feels pretty nice and solid and usable. The visuals and calm water noise is very fresh and inviting. I want to kick LIVING people into the water with my bunny legs. I’m sure the opportunity will present itself quite soon.

Newer, better image
Welcome Treasureman
I was pretty excited for this one. Wouldn’t work on FCEUX but works on FCE Ultra. It’s frustrating, but in the way that NES games were frustrating. It’s simple, and after a few runs I’m pretty confident in my knowledge of the map but aaaaaaaah dang NES-type controls and physics. It’s fun. It is. I’m not saying it simply because I refuse to not finish it, it is fun.
Also, I’m imagine this was relatively difficult to program. I have to assume you wrote this game in C because assembly is just … unacceptable.
EDIT: I did it! Good game, good megaman shooting and everything!

Naked Bootleg
This is a very unique and interesting game to be in a jam like this. It’s pretty impressive and quite a bit of fun. Some music would probably go a long way, but otherwise there’s tension and planning and the same authentic fury that only a middle school football coach could know. “BLIMPERTON I SWEAR TO CHRIST IF YOU GET STUCK ON RANDAYA AGAIN I WILL DELETE YOU”.

Most surprising game of the jam so far, I’m inclined to say! Good work. I got a little stumped by the last couple plays but I learned to use my players properly, as shown in the screenshot that now, after the fact, is probably completely illegible.

This play failed immediately

Booze Blues
This game was frustrating. It took me several tries to get to the first checkpoint, and then dozens to get to the second. The gap between some of the obstacles, namely the slide -> jump combination windows were a little too tight. I think there might be something janky going on with the transitions between animations where sometimes you can jump or slide almost immediately after letting off some other action, and sometimes you have to kind of wait until the other action’s animation returns to the default run animation before you can do anything else.

The visual style is very nice, the animation of the PC is smooth and pretty and the music fits unsurprisingly well. I'm still going to keep playing it and see if I can't defeat my silly impatience!

ShexEx - ShexEx Classic Edition
Good voice acting quality and performances, a nice variety of bootlegs, though I wish there was a little more interaction in a few of them so that the experience would be a bit longer. Funnily enough, I went to the control options page, scrolled right until I hit some configuration, then accidentally hit the “I’m done here” button and went back to the games screen, no idea how to get back in there. I figured it out though, don’t worry. I also then noticed a reset button for the controls exists.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 3, 2017

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Giggs posted:

Missile Champions
The game started off okay. Some back and forth, jumps, boosting all around. Real sports, like back in the day, before Car Soccer became so commercial. Then it hit. A streak. A 7 goal streak by the CPU, with no small amount of help from my own drat teammates. Were they in on it? Did they take a bribe to throw this game or perhaps they Tim Donaghy’d us. I can’t say. All I can say is that I fought for it, like the best of em ever did. I won god drat it. God drat my teammates, god drat my enemies and god drat the ball, I beat em all. 10-7, final score.

It’s fun! From the nice sprites, to the pretty boost trail to that one song I’ve definitely heard but would never be able to tell where I knew it from. Luckily its name was given in the credits screen, which was itself very nice. It also apparently runs at 3k fps according to Fraps. Huh!

Also well done on the progress reports on your game page. I haven’t read them yet but I gave them a scan and it made me wish I’d kept up with that practice.

only 3k? dang, i was aiming for 4k monitor support.

thanks for playing it! everything i've heard about the AI so far is that it is brutal and relentless; even when testing the bastards would go skynet on me. i'm glad they turned out to be Nintendo hard, it makes it that much more satisfying to crush them.

i also need to get a final postmortem up for that progress log. so much got added in the final days that my last entry is super outdated.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 3, 2017

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Giggs posted:

I played more games!

ShexEx - ShexEx Classic Edition
Good voice acting quality and performances, a nice variety of bootlegs, though I wish there was a little more interaction in a few of them so that the experience would be a bit longer. Funnily enough, I went to the control options page, scrolled right until I hit some configuration, then accidentally hit the “I’m done here” button and went back to the games screen, no idea how to get back in there. I figured it out though, don’t worry. I also then noticed a reset button for the controls exists.

Thank you for playing, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Some of the games were much shorter because of burn out, I really feel like I should have focused on 3 higher quality games and then did the multi cart graphics hack thing.

The controls schemes could have used a confirm button, but I never got to that Todo.

It takes like beats.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
Krum Frog Geach ABC is as delightful as it looks. Even the monster at the end, despite not really existing, gave me a goofy grin. Pretty much the whole time. All grins.

Tamale Drive has some killer artwork and fun minigames. Seriously killer art. Sad Max is a great movie.

DuM II: Heck on Earf is one of my favorites so far. The art is fantastic, and the impact of the sound effects hits hard in a satisfying DuM way.

Angry Minion Bird and Shrek is so goddamn stupid. I love it.

b00tl3g-kr3w has some great visual effects and is pretty funny. The actual bootlegs are great, but I never got to the end because walking left as Bootleg Mario made him disappear forever and I had to exit out. The increasingly incredulous player character was a nice touch.

I ain't much for typing writeups, but every single game so far has had something great about it. Everyone should be proud as punch.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Siminu posted:

b00tl3g-kr3w has some great visual effects and is pretty funny. The actual bootlegs are great, but I never got to the end because walking left as Bootleg Mario made him disappear forever and I had to exit out. The increasingly incredulous player character was a nice touch.

Ahhhhhhh someone pointed this out to me yesterday! It *should* be fixed in the public version now (unless I re-uploaded the wrong file yesterday)

Just saw it also got another shoutout on PC Gamer (and they mention the jam as well at the end)

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Sure it's a day late, but might as well post the official announcement anyway:

Crazy Smuggler
Avoid the cops and deliver booze to raise enough cash to escape your crappy trailer park.

Designing, modeling, placing, and scripting an entire town and countryside in less than a month is not easy. Luckily, this is actually not the first time we've done it for the SA jam. I also think we managed to deal with the main issue with our submission last year which was making our game too serious and not interesting. Now I just need to find time to write a proper postmortem.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Play Pathfinder 2 and then build your very own Rover with this papercraft cut out set!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ssjk89fn59kjx3/Papercraft%20Rover.rar?dl=0

Typical fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 3, 2017

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Typical posted:

Play Pathfinder 2 and then build your very own Rover with this papercraft cut out set!

:eyepop:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Typical posted:

TEAM PUNCH FIGHT has merch. This is our best jam ever.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Legs trailer is done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg6rLRQPdqc

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 3, 2017

Knight007au
May 8, 2007
https://knight007au.itch.io/bootlegger

Here's my crappy game its not an official entry as I forgot to actually register after creating my account on the game jams page. I did make it in the month though (had to slap on the start and end screens) and it works.

Looking forward to playing everyone's games this weekend when I have some time.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Yo, whoever had the idea of putting a gif as your banner image on the awfuljams page was a smartie.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
First video complete. I figured I'd start tomorrow, but I had some time this evening.

:siren: ATTN TEAM PORKCHOP, CREATORS OF Bootleg Bernie's Album Making Journey :siren:

Here's my raw playthrough: Watch my dumb loving face play your loving game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yA23DySM6w

DMCA Takedown: Seize and Desist

This game is hard. :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NJ7cCZtwf0

Jo fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 3, 2017

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

b00tl3g kr3w

- Excellent feel created with the music, sound effects, CRT effect, etc. Very cohesive and feels good man
- I couldn't figure out for like 5 minutes how to start a ROM. I guess maybe it's some combination of me being a millennial/idiot but it wasn't very intuitive to me that I had to upload a rom in order to be able to play it using a program on my desktop?
- Once I got the roms going I was stoked. Each one made me laugh. I love the idea of having a bunch of mini games and the fact that you worked them into one cohesive concept is very impressive. I'd love to try something like this in a future jam
- The chat system is very funny

Overall excellent job! I got to the FBI games and drugs thing at the end which I assume is the end?

Anyways excellent work!

Bootleg Bernie and his Album Making Journey

- I like the second section a lot more than the first section. I think you were onto something with the stealth + record idea and I enjoyed it.

Fast Forward Record Rewind

- Neat premise (I now understand the talk about similar concepts was in the thread haha)
- I couldn't really tell what I was supposed to be doing after doing 3 or 4 levels. Does it only record while that bar is going down? I would set up my recorder and then I was like okay now what do I do and would wait a bit and then go end but wasn't getting good scores I think? A bit more detail on the score screen would really help I think. Like i got a 0 and a 2 and a 3 at different points, I'm assuming more points is better? Maybe you shouldn't be able to pass without a 3 or 4 so that the player needs to know what they're doing? Or maybe you get money for the tape based on the overall quality (score) of the recording?
- Anyways I enjoyed it and it made me smile GOOD JOB!

awesomeolion fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

awesomeolion posted:

Fast Forward Record Rewind
- Neat premise (I now understand the talk about similar concepts was in the thread haha)
- I couldn't really tell what I was supposed to be doing after doing 3 or 4 levels. Does it only record while that bar is going down? I would set up my recorder and then I was like okay now what do I do and would wait a bit and then go end but wasn't getting good scores I think? A bit more detail on the score screen would really help I think. Like i got a 0 and a 2 and a 3 at different points, I'm assuming more points is better? Maybe you shouldn't be able to pass without a 3 or 4 so that the player needs to know what they're doing? Or maybe you get money for the tape based on the overall quality (score) of the recording?
- Anyways I enjoyed it and it made me smile GOOD JOB!

Thanks for playing! The point of every level is just to get in, place a recorder, and get out. I should have really emphasized the need to get in and out as quickly as possible so that people wouldn't get confused about whether or not they're supposed to try and record for longer, or take the recorder with them or anything that isn't just "Plop it down and run!", which as been a common comment for it.
Also my original idea involved replaying levels as well as choosing/buying equipment, but I ended up scrapping it all to deal with how late I got started.

I played a couple more games. I HOPE YOU LIKE WORDS.

BBA SLAM
Alright, I’m confused. Here I thought we were going to have a nice game of Basketed Ball in the jam for once. FOR ONCE. But then instead there’s rhinos and cars in the street. This isn’t the game I grew up with and loved. Not with this few dinosaurs.

Really though I am confused. I'm sure I collected HORSE in the first couple levels and it’s peachy and then later on it becomes a fail condition, I couldn’t figure out the sewers after several attempts and I somehow always forget some of the buttons by the end of the game. It’s funny that I didn’t notice you could scroll the Control menu until I changed the MENU FOV in the Settings menu. I was working off intuition before that! What an idiot I am.

The glitching, the menus, the screaming, and the music are all quite good. The production is nice here, for sure. Even the exit screen is animated in it’s nightmarish way. The selected target or whatever you’d call it is a little finicky, I’m never quite sure how to wrangle it to the thing I want to destroy/toggle/lovingly pass the ball to. The Larissa announcer legit reminds me of experiences from my childhood I would have been fine without remembering. That sounds dark, but it's not. I went to Ukrainian school and that voice is just ... unsettling and familiar. That's weird. It's weird that that's true.

This was fun, well done. The backboard’s a real piece of poo poo.

SimShine
Okay. I put off playing this because I wanted to give it a whole buncha time, based on what Team Dogpit had been posting. There’s a lot here. This game is a lot of game, which is really impressive. I’ve played it for about 4 hours so far and haven’t bought half the locations (more on this later). The systems all seem to work as one would expect. They show progress, even simply, which is a huge part of not becoming bored with the game. The equipment warbles and shakes, then when it sends a thing down the pipeline, the pipeline flashes. It makes all the difference to be constantly reminded of something happening in these sorts of games. The music and style are both well executed. It all fits nice and snug.

Because I’ve spent more time with this than most games I have more ~*opinions*~, especially because of things like repeated actions which multiply in one’s memory. The limit on some items in some equipment seems a little on the low side. 25 water and 25 grain in the pot on stove is just low enough that it feels like I need to check back in too often. Eventually I hired an employee to save me from this, but the dang dingus just crammed whatever was in the crate into my stove. I realized I needed to buy a crate to move stuff I didn’t need in the stove somewhere else, but giving employees a recipe to follow I think would be a better solution. It could just be a list of things to take from a crate to a machine even, that’d work. I was also confused about rotating the employee. I do like the idea of manually rotating employees. It’s weird. I didn’t know there were recipes until I was told by the game, a couple months in. Unfortunately some of the text is cut off in a bunch of different places, though most often in the recipes menu. The equipment/recipes aren’t very well explained. Bourbon is made with Large Still/Vat/Metal Barrel, but are they all required or are some of those things alternatives for other things? I mostly just picked something cheap from the list of “made with” and goofed around until I got what I wanted. It took me a while to realize “trashing” my equipment meant “sell” instead of just, you know, obliterating it or something.

Near the end of my session I ran into a bug. I was looking at some menu or something and heard a whole bunch of jangling. Cosmo chimed in to complain about the feds, when previously I think my HEAT was only around 20% (btw, how did we both pick variations on such a name?). I noticed my production in one location was all done, then later when I put ingredients back in to keep going this happened. I’ll try loading an earlier save to see if I can keep the game going past that point where I might have done something wrong.

The balancing could use a little tweaking too. I went from Moonshine to Gin for a very short time, then straight to Bourbon. I’m not sure there’s any reason to make anything other than Bourbon as soon as you can get it, and you can get to it pretty quickly. It also kinda feels like there’s not that much reason to buy more properties. Considering mob payments and heat and stuff, it seems like it’s probably better to just stockpile cash, then rush the ending (note: I haven’t tried this yet, I don’t actually know what the endgame is like).

I hope the team decides to keep working on this game. I really do like it, it’s one of the most impressive games I’ve seen in these jams the last few years. You should be proud of what you made for sure! My complaints here are all from a place of love. I like this game and I want you to make me like it even more because I like it so much already. I forgot to mention! The voice acting is very well done. Also I hate Cosmo? Maybe that’s a strong emotion, but something about the character really just… pisses me off. Screw that dingus.

I legit have to not play anything else today because I spent so much time on this, ha! I would have waited to write this later after I finish the game but I've just got so many FEELINGS right now about it. Great job!

e: fixed the youtube link, doh

Giggs fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 4, 2017

• Locked thread