Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Vasudus posted:

My goal is to get at least one character to 95. I always stop at 92/93 for the high end.

Storm Burst CWC Ball Lightning sounds mighty tempting, I love me some Ball Lightning.

I inclined to try this with with berserker in order to take advantage of ball lightnings lots of little hits in a short time and VP with 100% leech. I know dbk did a ball lightning build a few leagues ago and I want to pick his brain about it.

I am an idiot and can never get decent numbers in path of building, i feel like it would be strong but I am too dumb to configure everything correctly.

Edit: Hey blazer, what do you think about only having 1 guild stash tab for active gems and 1 for supports instead of 3 of each for each color? with the vendor in act 3 it seems like we could do something better with that space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

funmanguy posted:

I inclined to try this with with berserker in order to take advantage of ball lightnings lots of little hits in a short time and VP with 100% leech. I know dbk did a ball lightning build a few leagues ago and I want to pick his brain about it.

I am an idiot and can never get decent numbers in path of building, i feel like it would be strong but I am too dumb to configure everything correctly.

I had a storm burst build that was giving me good PoB dps (~900k for single target I think?), and then I realized I was sitting on 2k life with god tier gear and I decided to go back to following other build guides as a base :nyoron:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm having a hard time striking a balance on my defensive self-cast Dark Pact build. Not sure how to up damage without starting to get into really expensive items, I'm only at ~110k at the moment. I do have 9.7k HP and 2.8k hp/sec with Sulphur Flask on though, which is nice. 110k with budget isn't that bad admittedly but if it's getting the nerf-hammer I'm pretty worried for it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So about the new Bandits Quest reward, for the people who played the beta, did most people pick the 2 passive points or what ?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Wow I didnt look too closely at the storm burst numbers, I just assumed it was the same as the values datamined from the beta, thats really low and I don't think its good to start there.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

frajaq posted:

So about the new Bandits Quest reward, for the people who played the beta, did most people pick the 2 passive points or what ?

I could see Kraityn being popular, but Oak and Alira seem underwhelming except for very specific builds.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

funmanguy posted:

Edit: Hey blazer, what do you think about only having 1 guild stash tab for active gems and 1 for supports instead of 3 of each for each color? with the vendor in act 3 it seems like we could do something better with that space.

Hell, I wouldn't even bother with the active tab since there's the town vendor in A5 who sells everything.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

funmanguy posted:

Wow I didnt look too closely at the storm burst numbers, I just assumed it was the same as the values datamined from the beta, thats really low and I don't think its good to start there.

The datamined values were completely broken. The current version is still quite strong, but you probably want to be a VP berserker to make up for the channeled aspect.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

funmanguy posted:

implying all those gems would stay there and not be all taken by one person in a day. lmao

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Vulpes posted:

I could see Kraityn being popular, but Oak and Alira seem underwhelming except for very specific builds.

A lot of people seem to love Alira for the Crit Multi at end-game, and regen+resists for easy leveling.

My first instinct was to go Oak because I was running a defensive build with heavy regen, easy! But looking at it now with mapping numbers, I only gain 100/sec regen from it and the physical reduction is nearly unnoticeable with flasks and charges up. Kraityn gives me clearspeed and almost 4% damage increase, and the throwaway 3% dodge too. Guess I'll go with him.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

implying all those gems would stay there and not be all taken by one person in a day. lmao

implying that anyone would put gems in those tabs anyways. lmao

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i need an invite on "taking_the_entire_guild_bank_to_sell_for_wisdom_scrolls_because_there_isnt_a_log_of_who_took_items"

thats the char name btw

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Realtalk I would use the gstash 100 times more often if I could click spam poo poo in there. GGG please.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
They would only really be used at the start of a league when people are buying other people gems before act 3, that and drop only gems, but those rarely get put in the stash anyway

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Anyone have some fun idea for a relatively safe HC build?
I'm playing the first two weeks of the league start on bad wifi and a laptop.

-I already did Sunder Soultaker last league.
-I also did SRS last league (bit boring).
-I dislike totems.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Acht posted:

Anyone have some fun idea for a relatively safe HC build?
I'm playing the first two weeks of the league start on bad wifi and a laptop.

-I already did Sunder Soultaker last league.
-I also did SRS last league (bit boring).
-I dislike totems.

safe, but not minions or totems? I guess selfcast frostbolt or something until you die to reflect?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

frajaq posted:

Oak could be worth it for some RF builds, and possibly some jugg tanky builds that scale phys. Also might be useful for some sort of CI+ZO phys builds? It's hard to get enough life regen on the top/right half of the tree to make ZO effective.

Kraityn reward is decent if you're a max clear speed caster and not worried about damage, and you just want to shield charge through maps as fast as humanly possible. It seems not worth 2 points for just about any other application though.

Alira reward is great. I would gladly trade 2 points for 20% crit multi, 15% all resistance and 5 flat mana regen on every single crit build.

Everything else can be happy with 2 points.

I'm hoping there is a quest in act 9 or 10 that gives an extra power/frenzy/endurance charge to make up for the loss of that bandit reward.

aquaticrabbit
Aug 2, 2004
Could I please get a guild re-invite? Char name: Barnaby_Occ

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Insurrectionist posted:

Realtalk I would use the gstash 100 times more often if I could click spam poo poo in there. GGG please.

I seem to recall them saying they can't really do this because they need to synchronize the gstash across all the servers, hence the delay when you drop something in and when it actually shows up in gstash.

vvv I've certainly clicked on the gstash instead of my own stash enough times to believe this.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 3, 2017

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I've also heard it justified by saying it prevents people from accidentally dumping their inventory into a deposit-only guild tab instead of their own stash.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Vulpes posted:

I've also heard it justified by saying it prevents people from accidentally dumping their inventory into a deposit-only guild tab instead of their own stash.

I mean they still let people force-break 6Ls without a warning like that funny gif of someone accidentally doing it while chrome-crafting.

Also seems like both of these issues would be solved if they simply instituted a short grace period between when you put something into the gstash, and when it actually appears there for everyone else.-

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mathil's published his seasonal list of unusually expensive builds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGkRgabUMBQ

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Mentat Radnor posted:

Oak could be worth it for some RF builds, and possibly some jugg tanky builds that scale phys. Also might be useful for some sort of CI+ZO phys builds? It's hard to get enough life regen on the top/right half of the tree to make ZO effective.

Kraityn reward is decent if you're a max clear speed caster and not worried about damage, and you just want to shield charge through maps as fast as humanly possible. It seems not worth 2 points for just about any other application though.

Alira reward is great. I would gladly trade 2 points for 20% crit multi, 15% all resistance and 5 flat mana regen on every single crit build.

Everything else can be happy with 2 points.

I'm hoping there is a quest in act 9 or 10 that gives an extra power/frenzy/endurance charge to make up for the loss of that bandit reward.

so since I'm uncertain what to play with my Duelist I should just go with 2 points, got it.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Had an idea I wanted to test out, but somehow i never kept any of my frozen trail jewels

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Someone mind looking at my arc mines leveling tree and telling me where to get more life? Existence is pain and I've died a lot leveling this, mostly to bosses but they're builds I'd rather have not happen

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
What's the movement skill of choice for a staff-based caster that wants fortify?

This is a thinly veiled complaint over the 'attacks per second' number that is currently showing under Leap Slam on PoB for me.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm going to assume that Storm Burst is a lot like Frostbolt in that it travels a fixed distance regardless of projectile speed. If that's the case Slower Projectiles is not only more damage up front, it means more ball density over a given area so more damage when they go boom.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Insurrectionist posted:

What's the movement skill of choice for a staff-based caster that wants fortify?

This is a thinly veiled complaint over the 'attacks per second' number that is currently showing under Leap Slam on PoB for me.

leap slam, flicker strike, cyclone.

good luck

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Just as a general tip, the cruel/merc resist drops adhere to your character instead of being based upon the zone you're in. Be sure to do your normal lab before you finish Act 5 and your cruel lab before you finish Act 7Act 10, otherwise you'll be doing them with -30/-60 resists for no reason other than the difficulty factor. If you'd rather be in suspense of what triggers Act 5's resist loss, I've spoilered it below.

Act 5
Don't finish the Kitava fight on the top of the Cathedral

Abyss fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 3, 2017

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

tithin posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for an archer-esque starter, my verrrrrrrry first character back in technical alpha (who I'd like to stress was god awful) was basically a walking shotgun with chaining shots and I'd like to use something like that again but that's hopefully end game viable

Hamburger Test posted:

The short version I can give you right now is to go elemental, either Doomfletch's Prism stacking physical damage on gear and using Chance to Bleed support, or Windripper and either Added Cold or Added Lightning. Both of these are buffed quite a bit with this patch, so old guides might not be optimal.

I can throw together a quick tree based on what I would recommend for softcore: raider based on which version you want - or maybe another ascendancy if you have something in mind already; provided I have time left over after I am done with my own tinkering.

This is what I most likely will be doing:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...4_9bv66_sj_3g==

Lioneye's Fall required north of Acrobatics. Help Alira, it's definitely worth it for most crit builds (which most bow builds should be).

Cold damage based, most of the damage coming from Added Cold Damage and Ice Bite. This way you're less dependant on drops, you will want to use the fastest bow you can as you level to get the most out of flat damage bonuses.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Abyss posted:

Just as a general tip, the cruel/merc resist drops adhere to your character instead of being based upon the zone you're in. Be sure to do your normal lab before you finish Act 5 and your cruel lab before you finish Act 7, otherwise you'll be doing them with -30/-60 resists for no reason than the difficulty factor. If you'd rather be in suspense of what triggers those resist losses, I've spoilered them below.

Act 5
Don't finish the Kitava fight on the top of the Cathedral

Act 7
Don't kill the giant purple spider, Arakaali.

This isn't correct anymore, the 2nd resist hit happens at the end of act10 according to the patch notes. I assume this means you have to finish act10 to map, but I didn't notice anything specific about that in the patch notes.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
I'm glad PoB just wasn't parsing the health scaling on Dark Pact correctly and I'm not just a huge idiot that couldn't figure out how to make it work :shobon:

Hopefully it doesn't get hit too hard (and also doesn't get delayed)

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Frostbolt miner.

Im going to need a second frozen trail tomorrow

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 3, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm having a hard time striking a balance on my defensive self-cast Dark Pact build. Not sure how to up damage without starting to get into really expensive items, I'm only at ~110k at the moment. I do have 9.7k HP and 2.8k hp/sec with Sulphur Flask on though, which is nice. 110k with budget isn't that bad admittedly but if it's getting the nerf-hammer I'm pretty worried for it.

Is that from PoB? PoB doesn't have the 6% hp or the 100%+ more multi for self cast calculated.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Kild posted:

Is that from PoB? PoB doesn't have the 6% hp or the 100%+ more multi for self cast calculated.

It does as of this morning according to PoB's patch notes. It was tough to break 15k with it before no matter what you stacked.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Mr. Despair posted:

This isn't correct anymore, the 2nd resist hit happens at the end of act10 according to the patch notes. I assume this means you have to finish act10 to map, but I didn't notice anything specific about that in the patch notes.

Ah, you are correct, my mistake. I just went through the beta again last night and forgot about the Act 10 notes.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It patched earlier today for me and seems to include it now. My Dark Pact base damage from skill is showing as 825 - 948 at level 20 at least. And the more damage part of the calculation is showing 168% from Dark Pact too.

e;fb

I've actually got a fair amount of ways to keep scaling Dark Pact, but have two problems with it. First, all the big increases seem expensive. I'm only on 5L for example since I'll probably take a while to get 6L. The staff only has +Chaos Gems and a decent Spell Damage roll, no Cast Speed which would add like 20k dps on its own - but that would be crazy expensive. No spell damage or cast speed on my gear really, just life/resist/stats. All my jewels are spell damage/%life/either stats or resists. So on so forth. This isn't a big deal then after all, only means I'm worried about leveling/early mapping with it if it gets a sizeable nerf.

My big worry is that cast speed is the best damage scaler for me atm, but I don't want so much that I'm losing more life than I regen, the breakpoint of which is at ~4.44 casts/sec with my simulated build/gear. That's why I haven't picked up Spell Echo for example despite it being a larger dps increase than some of my current supports, since that would push me to 5.3/sec. And this is with a Kaom's Heart too, putting in a regular decent rare chest my regen drops by like 350 and the breakpoint drops to around 3.9 casts/sec. And as I said, this is with almost 10k HP but little cast speed on gear and none on jewels. Because of this I'm not actually sure I can actually do decent dps while maintaining a positive life regen while constantly casting at all, at end-game levels. Probably gonna have to do a cast -> dodge -> cast kind of rotation. Makes big hits quite dangerous while casting unfortunately.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 3, 2017

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Been planning on doing caustic arrow, and seeing as they buffed it, I think ima go ahead and give it a go.

My original plans have all been Scion Deadeye/Occultist, but I'm kinda having second thoughts. Occultist ascendancy just seems a little weak, although the extra passive points would go really far. Second choice would be deadeye, for free pierce and a bunch of proj dmg and AOE. However, just today they switched up Trickster: 5% damage over time per frenzy and power charge, +1 maximum frenzy and power charges, 15% chance to grant frenzy/power charge on kill. Pretty nice node, but, even with max frenzys/power charges it's still only like 40%-60% increased DoT. Not worth it right?

It's been forever since i played CA, plus the new 3.0 wording, so I was hoping some people could clear some things up.

CA chaos debuff is not a "ailment" like poison and bleed correct?
Physical damage, critical strikes, and the physical that's converted to flat chaos, only affect the initial hit?

If these are still true, then the types of damage i want from the tree are: projectile, damage over time, chaos damage, and i guess area? I'm also guessing that I'm still going to want a +3 bow, instead of getting a phys bow or something. It would be nice to scale something else for single target, but i think the +3 bow is still probably best?

Also what class/ascendancy do you think?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is the countdown to the expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

euphronius posted:

What is the countdown to the expansion?

It launches tomorrow at 1pm PST.