Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

eonwe posted:

can someone point me toward a build that isnt particularly reliant on specific gear

ive really hardly played this game
Dunno if you have Scion unlocked yet but this is the build I'm thinking of starting with: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/847200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
I'm thinking of doing a pure lab farmer Pathfinder Crit BV for my leauge starter and following this guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1930275/page/1

Do you guys think this would be viable for a starter build or would it be too expensive?

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I'm thinking of doing a pure lab farmer Pathfinder Crit BV for my leauge starter and following this guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1930275/page/1

Do you guys think this would be viable for a starter build or would it be too expensive?

I dunno. The gear looks reasonable but colors will take some farming. Clear Mind will be a bit expensive at the start. Also you run into the issue of uniques not showing up for sale until a couple days in, which usually isn't a big deal but you need a fair few of them. Overall my answer would be it is fine but be prepared to farm maps for a bit to get the chromes needed for the colors.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Pathfinder relies on expensive flasks, and most of the unique flasks have been nerfed. Usually a league starter is a spec that can quickly farm dried lake to mid 70s and steamroll through most map mods to open up the atlas without spending a lot of currency rerolling dangerous mods, or without clearing the maps too slowly due to danger.

Actual cheap builds:
Sunder or EQ zerker, jugg, or slayer
SRS or AW necro (AW works well as guardian too). Baron helm is good even without stacking strength, but gives you a fairly straightforward gearing endgame
Necro spellcaster of some kind using bone offering
Scorching ray inquisitor or berserker, possibly with CWC firestorm, Also good as trickster, but requires more gear.
I never can get into bow builds so no suggestions here. The only suggestion I can give is to have either a barrage setup or chin sol puncture trap in a swap
Arc or GC mine sabo is actually good if you can get a covenant. Breaking the unique rule here because nobody really uses this item. You do really want 1-2 detonate mines gems though (one for a totem, one for CWDT)

Generally league starters avoid the following things, or transition into them:
Energy shield as primary defense
Anything that performs poorly when mostly stacking life and resists
Specific uniques, even ones that settle to cheap prices, as high demand can make them hard to get early league
Tabula reliance
Non-cold conversion builds

If your build doesn't work in a 4 link with 75 skill points while still wearing a goldrim and two alched coral or two stone rings, you probably shouldn't make it your first build unless you wanna live in dried lake doing the chaos recipe.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Uh, don't think people are going to be farming Dried Lake all that much starting tomorrow...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

whypick1 posted:

Uh, don't think people are going to be farming Dried Lake all that much starting tomorrow...

But what if the build is really bad?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I hope mathil didn't gently caress up frost blades ranger for me

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Also I think it bears repeating that you shouldn't level with your main skill socketed into a weapon unless you won't replace it, for instance some item like a lifesprig. If you're a 2h build, put it in your body armor.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Touch of Anguish claws are going to be crazy expensive for a couple weeks. Frost Blades was popping up in 3.0 starter threads even before Mathil's video.

I think it's still ok without the claw though! Just a little slower for clearing maps.

Apito
Jan 22, 2015
Hey all, looking for an re-invite to the guild, was removed for inactivity. I am online right now on Pitos.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

theshim posted:

Threw together a tree for an Oroflicker Slayer for 3.0 here. Anyone who's done the build before with feedback? PoB says I can hit a 98% ignite chance :supaburn:
Realtalk, can anyone who's done Oroflicker before just give this a look and see if anything stands out as particularly bad? Thinking I'll start with this as a regular 2h slayer and switch in the Fireborn for when I get Oro's.

e: fixed it for 3.0

theshim fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 4, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Apito posted:

Hey all, looking for an re-invite to the guild, was removed for inactivity. I am online right now on Pitos.

got this and a couple others from discord

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Pathfinder relies on expensive flasks, and most of the unique flasks have been nerfed. Usually a league starter is a spec that can quickly farm dried lake to mid 70s and steamroll through most map mods to open up the atlas without spending a lot of currency rerolling dangerous mods, or without clearing the maps too slowly due to danger.

Actual cheap builds:
Sunder or EQ zerker, jugg, or slayer
SRS or AW necro (AW works well as guardian too). Baron helm is good even without stacking strength, but gives you a fairly straightforward gearing endgame
Necro spellcaster of some kind using bone offering
Scorching ray inquisitor or berserker, possibly with CWC firestorm, Also good as trickster, but requires more gear.
I never can get into bow builds so no suggestions here. The only suggestion I can give is to have either a barrage setup or chin sol puncture trap in a swap
Arc or GC mine sabo is actually good if you can get a covenant. Breaking the unique rule here because nobody really uses this item. You do really want 1-2 detonate mines gems though (one for a totem, one for CWDT)

Generally league starters avoid the following things, or transition into them:
Energy shield as primary defense
Anything that performs poorly when mostly stacking life and resists
Specific uniques, even ones that settle to cheap prices, as high demand can make them hard to get early league
Tabula reliance
Non-cold conversion builds

If your build doesn't work in a 4 link with 75 skill points while still wearing a goldrim and two alched coral or two stone rings, you probably shouldn't make it your first build unless you wanna live in dried lake doing the chaos recipe.

I was thinking of going Dual Wield Gladiator. Does that end up being expensive for a first character?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I was thinking of going Dual Wield Gladiator. Does that end up being expensive for a first character?
DW (insert skill here) gladiator is super flexible in terms of gearing, so it shouldn't be expensive.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

EDIT: Wow double posted

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i cant decide if i want kraitlyn or points for rf zerking. im not sure i actually need the points and more shield charge speed is always good

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I found a p good guide for a labfarming Earthquake Juggernaut hope u like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxRVFTfmNw4

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

There are so many variations on that theme that it's basically streamerproof. Touch of Anguish routinely gets shouted down as a bad item, Ewar's Mirage is a Shaper viable leveling item, etc. If you can't get a good claw try a sword, if you can't get a sword try an axe, mace, dagger, or even a staff. If you can't scale phys grab icebite and added cold. There are no rules here.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 4, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Awesome! posted:

i cant decide if i want kraitlyn or points for rf zerking. im not sure i actually need the points and more shield charge speed is always good

Wouldn't you want 1% life regen for RF?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont think its really needed. there is already 11.5% on the tree.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1930909/page/1#p14659848

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

It'll definitely take you to the end of the game and you'll be able to clear low to mid tier maps with mediocre gear, granted you've got around 200% life from the passive tree and 300%ish damage split between one handed and dual wield nodes. And make sure your resistances are capped. All easy things to do. You probably will need to buy 2 decent weapons for a chaos orb each when you hit maps and you'll be good to start the gear treadmill.

Now if you wanna kill the endgame bosses... I can't comment on how expensive it is to gear up a physical gladiator for that (If you're even going phys damage). I've got 900 hours in this game and I've never even fought a guardian or shaper.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

theshim posted:

Realtalk, can anyone who's done Oroflicker before just give this a look and see if anything stands out as particularly bad? Thinking I'll start with this as a regular 2h slayer and switch in the Fireborn for when I get Oro's.

e: fixed it for 3.0

If you really need dual curse just wear doedre's ring or windscream boots. Traveling up to the Witch area like that is not worth it IMO.

This is how I would build it.

I like Headsman better than Brutal Fervour because you'll clear faster, but take the leech and drop Unwavering Stance if you want, up to you. The other option is dropping Impact and using melee splash support. Not sure why you went into Templar and then skipped half of the good notables, but I fixed that. Also got you a lot more life and dex and just as much penetration and ignite chance by going to Ranger WED EDWAS nodes.

edit: Also note that you can do this build as Elemental Overload if you want, and it's a pretty nice damage buff but isn't quite as reliable due to misses. You would have to get some accuracy on gear and the tree, but Oro's does have that nice 30% accuracy implicit which helps.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 4, 2017

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Anyone feel like critiquing my Blade Flurry Max block bleedsplosion Gladiator? Gonna try do it SSF, see how far I can get. Here's the PoB link: https://pastebin.com/nC7L5ADC

Also, does using Brutality mean that I would get no extra damage at all from using Herald of Ash or Hatred?

Your Brain on Hugs fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 4, 2017

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Also, does using Brutality mean that I would get no extra damage at all from using Herald of Ash or Hatred?

Yep, no damage from Atziri's Promise either. It's only useful if you're building around a Starforge, maybe some dual curse bleed builds can also pull it off but I haven't seen how much of a difference the ailment change makes.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Anyone feel like critiquing my Blade Flurry Max block bleedsplosion Gladiator? Gonna try do it SSF, see how far I can get. Here's the PoB link: https://pastebin.com/nC7L5ADC

HoA will still overkill burn, but you lose the 15% extra phys as fire

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Unlucky7 posted:

Depends if you aim to max block or not, but you definitely will want some haemophilia gloves as they stack with the passive for a total of 15% life as phys explosion, which can be further scaled by physical damage gear/passives, the 10% at max frenzy charges node, vulnerability aura, and intimidate (if you go for that belt)

There's nothing inherently bad about dual wielding, but it splits your damage budget between 2 items. If you are using a shield, about the worst you can do is a lioneye's. If you are going to be crit at all, you might want to instead look into a lycosidae

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Mentat Radnor posted:

If you really need dual curse just wear doedre's ring or windscream boots. Traveling up to the Witch area like that is not worth it IMO.

This is how I would build it.

I like Headsman better than Brutal Fervour because you'll clear faster, but take the leech and drop Unwavering Stance if you want, up to you. The other option is dropping Impact and using melee splash support. Not sure why you went into Templar and then skipped half of the good notables, but I fixed that. Also got you a lot more life and dex and just as much penetration and ignite chance by going to Ranger WED EDWAS nodes.

edit: Also note that you can do this build as Elemental Overload if you want, and it's a pretty nice damage buff but isn't quite as reliable due to misses. You would have to get some accuracy on gear and the tree, but Oro's does have that nice 30% accuracy implicit which helps.
I was actually looking at doing it as EO, which is most of the reason I'm pathed up to the Templar/Witch area (and while I was already there it was simple to nab the curse nodes along with the fire and life), but accuracy suuuuucks to gear and spec for, and I didn't really reset the tree for the other way.. If I'm not bothering with it, it's probably not worth going up there. I feel like I really want dual curse, since Flammability is so much damage and consistency and Enfeeble is super important for staying alive, but ugh those two items. I was looking to path over to the Primeval Force cluster (largely because it's insanely good), but I was stretched too thin before.

This does give me a huge extra chunk of life, though, so it's probably better on that count alone. Around 10% less dps, but more chances to be alive to do it. I also feel like taking Impact is most of the reason to go Slayer with the build at all, saving the gem link is huge and Immolate looks like it'll be great in there for boss killing.

Out of curiosity, how does Oroflicker fare in maps with enemies that resist status ailments?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Cory in the Blouse posted:

There's nothing inherently bad about dual wielding, but it splits your damage budget between 2 items. If you are using a shield, about the worst you can do is a lioneye's. If you are going to be crit at all, you might want to instead look into a lycosidae

Some skills like sunder only use your main hand weapon which frees up your offhand for a stat stick like tempestuous steel or prismatic eclipse. Dual wielding gives you 10% more aspd, 15% block, and 20% more attack physical damage.

Additionally you can game the system by using an offhand stat stick that can't be used with your attack skill, like a sword for dual wield EQ. It won't be used then, so you gain the dw bonuses while only having to buy one weapon.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Patching info and torrent for the ggpk file

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I would like to be in as Spiniard if there's still room in the guild.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

theshim posted:

I was actually looking at doing it as EO, which is most of the reason I'm pathed up to the Templar/Witch area (and while I was already there it was simple to nab the curse nodes along with the fire and life), but accuracy suuuuucks to gear and spec for, and I didn't really reset the tree for the other way.. If I'm not bothering with it, it's probably not worth going up there.

It's not too hard to get enough accuracy to make EO worth it. I ran the EO Berserker version of the build in Breach league up to 91 and it felt good. You already get 40% accuracy from Duelist nodes that you take anyway, and you can get another 30% for 2 points in Templar that also come with attack speed. Combined with the Oro's implicit that's +100% accuracy, so you really just need a couple decent flat accuracy rolls on jewelry/gloves/helm to make it work. Passive tree could look something like this.

theshim posted:

Out of curiosity, how does Oroflicker fare in maps with enemies that resist status ailments?

Not Well (unless you're a Raider, maybe).

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

please knock Mom! posted:

Some skills like sunder only use your main hand weapon which frees up your offhand for a stat stick like tempestuous steel or prismatic eclipse. Dual wielding gives you 10% more aspd, 15% block, and 20% more attack physical damage.

Additionally you can game the system by using an offhand stat stick that can't be used with your attack skill, like a sword for dual wield EQ. It won't be used then, so you gain the dw bonuses while only having to buy one weapon.

Forgive me if this sounds rude, but using a skill that only uses the main hand while DW sounds non optimal at best. Then again, so are a lot of things that are fun :v:. My question is: does the benefits of DW outweigh what a good 2H weapon could do with those types of skills?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 4, 2017

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Impermanent posted:

I would like to be in as Spiniard if there's still room in the guild.

Sent!

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Unlucky7 posted:

Forgive me if this sounds rude, but using a skill that only uses the main hand while DW sounds non optimal at best. Then again, so are a lot of things that are fun :v:. My question is: does the benefits of DW outweigh what a good 2H weapon could do with those types of skills?

It's not just about the DW bonuses the other benefits are a) utilizing global stats on the weapon you are not swinging (these can be very good as in the examples given) and b) only having to invest in a good roll on one weapon.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

quote:

Skills calculate their Ignite, Poison or Bleed values as a separate damage value, taken straight from the base and added damage of the skill. This gives skills that deal fire damage a minimum and maximum Ignite Damage per Second value that is rolled on Ignites that the skill causes. Poison, Bleed and Ignite damage values are based on the base damage of the skill, and then affected by appropriate damage modifiers. Some damage modifiers affect both the hit and the Ignite, Poison or Bleed, while some only affect one.

Am I reading this right, that GMP won't affect dot damage since it's "less projectile damage"?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Look at the items that knock pointed out. Another good example is Brightbeak. All three provide global bonuses, on top of the DW bonuses, and let you use every attack movement skill besides Shield Charge. If attack speed is important, you're going to have to try really really hard for 2H to beat DW.

gonadic io posted:

Am I reading this right, that GMP won't affect dot damage since it's "less projectile damage"?

Correct, but I thought they were going to fix that because in beta you could very easily poo poo out poison that way with no damage penalty.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 4, 2017

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Unlucky7 posted:

It's much easier to get block with dw than with 2h due to the base 15% and the dual wield aspect node near ranger's part of the tree. Additionally, there's some dw specific nodes which are good for some builds, and you have the opportunity to go for something like a varunastra as well.

Overall dw is in between 1h/shield and 2h, with some bonuses to attack speed which make leap slam feel better. Using one of the two weapons is good as well since you can use one really good weapon and a buffing item.

Alternately you can use a shield, but if you are a gladiator or just want some more offense, dw is potent

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

Yeah, but wouldn't be surprised they adjust that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
Can I get a guild invite for YozMortem?