Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

HolePisser1982 posted:

it shocks me to think hbomberguy could be talking out of his own rear end

Have you read his posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Colonel Whitey posted:

Have you read his posts

:thejoke:

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Colonel Whitey posted:

Have you read his posts

I've always thought he was a pretty stand up guy, what did hbomberguy do?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Nothing, he's just a typical CineD poster

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Varam posted:

It's not that weird at all. We're talking about a semi-public situation where there's some obvious grievance running in the back channels and they boiled over yesterday with some people taking public shots at him, and plenty of good people who would be privy to more details publicly acknowledged and boosted those messages, indicating that they're likely justified in some form.

I understand the immediate reaction is to what to know all the details and demand evidence, but... literally like half the threads related to this are about why people aren't publishing evidence.

It's not even the first time I've seen something like this. DC Comics editor Eddie Berganza was a known sexual harasser in the comics industry for years, but mostly people talked about it in back channels and private accounts or in person and you'd only occasionally see something bubble to the surface. Then, people finally came forward a few years ago and made direct detailed claims, but only after they had left DC or the comics industry as a whole so they couldn't get hit with the kind of corporate/fan backlash that always comes with this sort of poo poo.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I don't doubt that it's plausible I'm just hesitant to have my opinion on a person soured by some vague innuendo. I hope Nick didn't do anything bad but if he did I hope he learns and does better.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I mean I have absolutely watched a person I knew open up about harassment they were getting and have their entire online existence destroyed by a dude in a similarly insular community. This poo poo does happen. I hope it's not happening now, but the possibility does exist.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I also wonder if Polygon has an "open" enough community where that'd be different, though.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Sheltered a guy who was harassing people

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Liked the Prequels.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I hate this whole situation. I know a guy that has had multiple sexual harassment charged against him but his employer protects him for some reason.
He constantly begs girls for nudes, gives people sudden and unasked for shoulder massages, cheats on everyone he dates and brags about it and one girl was so shaken by his behavior that she was strongarmed into quitting instead of pressing charges.

The world is hosed up.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Boys and girls, when you live by Twitter, you'll die by Twitter.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Chieves posted:

I also wonder if Polygon has an "open" enough community where that'd be different, though.

On the website itself, sure, but breaking into the YouTube and Twitter spheres means all bets are off. People who've never heard of Polygon would happily come out of nowhere to tear down female accusers just for the sake of doing it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Toaster Beef posted:

On the website itself, sure, but breaking into the YouTube and Twitter spheres means all bets are off. People who've never heard of Polygon would happily come out of nowhere to tear down female accusers just for the sake of doing it.

It presents a real conundrum for those folks because that crowd generally hate Polygon and women in equal measure, so I assume they'll just short circuit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Okay, folks, sexual harassment 101.

1. Most sexual harassers are smart enough not to do the harassing in front of people they respect. Having actual witnesses to sexual harassment is unusual, so there's almost never any proof. Sometimes there are emails/texts, but even if they exist they're often ambiguous. It almost always comes down to who you believe.
2. Many, many harassees blame themselves. It's only when somebody else is the first person to come out that a light comes on and other victims realize "Oh, it's not just me," and then feel safe enough to speak out. It isn't a dogpile, it's a lot of people realizing the same thing at the same time.
3. Harassers are often in a position of power/influence. If you speak out in public and say "Fred harassed me", you're going to have the wrath of the Internet descend on you -- see what happened to Rebecca Watson, who didn't even name names.
4. The gaming community, in particular, is pretty small, and accusing somebody as famous as Nick Robinson is likely to be very bad for your career, and harassees know that. People don't speak out because they weigh the risks to their career against tolerating the harassment.
5. Talking about harassment openly is not a path to riches. It is a path to more harassment, both personal and professional. Harassees know this.
6. Harassees often continue to work with the harasser. That's because the harasser is in a position of power/influence (see point 2) and shunning that person is also bad for your career. Furthermore, a lot of harassees think "Well, I'm dealing with this horrible situation, I might as well get the benefits of working with this rear end in a top hat as well as the deficits." Look at Anita Hill. Look at a lot of the people who came forward in the Cosby case.

I don't know if Nick Robinson is a harasser or not. Given points 3-5, I usually believe harassees, because they have an enormous amount to lose by coming out. Your preferences may vary.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Matt Kessler just bowed out of the podcast he shares with Nick, Podburglars. He says apologizes in his tweet if the podcast somehow contributed to people not being willing to "call out such gross bullshit" I would embed the tweet but I don't know how.

It seems like he has heard something specific and believes it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Matt Kessler just bowed out of the podcast he shares with Nick, Podburglars. He says apologizes in his tweet if the podcast somehow contributed to people not being willing to "call out such gross bullshit" I would embed the tweet but I don't know how.

https://twitter.com/MattBodega/status/893505414897180673 just link the tweet dude.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Man, I hope this isn't the case, this is PWR BTTM all over again :(

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sam Sanskrit posted:

well that's super bad

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Follow up tweet nothing new but reinforces his stance.
https://twitter.com/MattBodega/status/893508479469711360

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
This loving sucks

Serf
May 5, 2011

Well, yeah that's pretty big. drat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea that's more substantial...

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
this is the most unfortunate turn for the thread about good sweet boys

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Looking forward to an extremely long, uncomfortable post by Griffin trying to navigate all of this and accepting way more responsibility for the situation than he needs to while he's yelled at by a shrill, bloodthirsty cloud of Twitter detritus.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
McElroys Knew

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

General Dog posted:

Looking forward to an extremely long, uncomfortable post by Griffin trying to navigate all of this and accepting way more responsibility for the situation than he needs to while he's yelled at by a shrill, bloodthirsty cloud of Twitter detritus.

wheeee

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Can't we have just, like, one good thing in this world? Just one? :(

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Nick's body is possessed by BUSTO while his soul is trapped in BeamNG.drive

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
lol

I hope it doesn't turn out to be underwhelming. Unsolicited nudes are just passé.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

General Dog posted:

this is that good poo poo we all love

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yeesh, I'm still not sure what that guy did but the fact that whatever it was is bad enough to break up a professional relationship is pretty unsettiling.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

How loving bad is Merle at chess?!?!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I'm glad a white man called him out so people finally believe the women who already said the same thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
well the good news is if someone knew griffin was also a shitbag it would have come out as part of this too

so at least we've got that!

haha

haaaaaa

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

inferis posted:

I'm glad a white man called him out so people finally believe the women who already said the same thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeesh, I'm still not sure what that guy did but the fact that whatever it was is bad enough to break up a professional relationship is pretty unsettiling.

Yea I'd still like actual deets to know if this is 'guy was creepy and not cool but he can apologize and maybe we can move on' or 'guy was actually predatory and harmful and gently caress him forever' but Kessler, despite being a cartoonishly goony guy, has a good head on his shoulders. If he heard something real enough to go 'gently caress this I'm out' it bodes pretty badly to me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

inferis posted:

But women aren't saying the same thing? And it's understandable why, but that's also the reason it's hard to believe. It's all vague comments that are tangentially related at best or "I heard from a friend of a coworker's uncle that" type gossip.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I mean to be fair didn't Hannibal Buress bring to light the whole Cosby thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

inferis posted:

Or maybe it's 'alright we've gone from vague subtweets and 'I hear...' to someone actually breaking ties with him over this so it feels more substantial than gossip'