Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

IcePhoenix posted:

Because he was still the pitcher when the Mariners took the lead :confused:

Ah, it changing to the seventh inning didnt matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

got any sevens posted:

Ah, it changing to the seventh inning didnt matter

Yeah, you're still the pitcher of record until you're officially taken out of the game, which would be the bottom of the seventh inning

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Braves bringing Snitker back next year, that sucks.

??? Why? I like Snitker, players seem to like him too

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Why is MLB so loving stupid. It's the middle of loving summer, a Saturday, there's no football, no baseketball, there's some golf on, and NASCAR is driving in practice circles, and they don't have a SINGLE 1PM EST game on the table today. And don't say "well people do poo poo on Saturday," people do poo poo on Saturday at 7:10 PM too.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Braves have called up Max Fried. That's a really interesting and random move. If I remember correctly, he wasn't knocking down the doors in the minors.

2-11, 5.92 ERA, .268 BA against in AA.

He was the big return in the Justin Upton trade from San Diego.

Dingleberry Jones fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 5, 2017

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Braves have called up Max Fried. That's a really interesting and random move. If I remember correctly, he wasn't knocking down the doors in the minors.

You're not wrong.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Was Fried on the 40-man already? There's some Rule V considerations coming in this month. Anyway I think he's just the latest attempt to fill in long relief.

Also Braves may have traded Rodriguez back to the Pirates? For a catcher? I dunno.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

??? Why? I like Snitker, players seem to like him too
Eh, I was just hoping they'd hire someone new to signal the "OK, now we're competing" transition. It's probably not a huge deal but he's pretty bad at all the stuff bad managers are bad at. I know the roster didn't give him a ton of options but the dumb bullpen usage, the weird attachment to Emilio Bonifacio as a pinch-hit option. Some media also raised the point that he comes off quick to publicly criticize a young guy who's struggling like Dansby or Folty early in the season while seemingly giving a pass to veterans who weren't producing, which seemed like the wrong stance to take at this moment in the rebuild.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Wow someone gave us more than a bag of balls for Rodriguez. Cool! Need to free up some space in the infield. The Fried promotion is kind of odd, numbers are bad but hasn't given up a run in his last 3 starts. It's probably a mix of desperation with the terrible pen and thinking it's just time for him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Add another player to the DL for the Astros because we can't have nice things. :suicide:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
For some reason the Pirates claimed George Kontos on waivers, so the Giants gave him to them.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Belt got beaned last night and has concussion symptoms :(

Giants put him on the concussion DL and call up.... Pablo Sandoval? Am I stuck in a time warp here?

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Eh, I was just hoping they'd hire someone new to signal the "OK, now we're competing" transition. It's probably not a huge deal but he's pretty bad at all the stuff bad managers are bad at. I know the roster didn't give him a ton of options but the dumb bullpen usage, the weird attachment to Emilio Bonifacio as a pinch-hit option. Some media also raised the point that he comes off quick to publicly criticize a young guy who's struggling like Dansby or Folty early in the season while seemingly giving a pass to veterans who weren't producing, which seemed like the wrong stance to take at this moment in the rebuild.

Next in line after Snitker is Ron Washington. I think Snit is doing fine for where the team is and will probably be given a graceful exit at the right time, unlike Fredi Gonzalez.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Astros have scored 35 runs in their last 2 games against the Blue Jays, one of which involved Altuve, Springer, and Correa not playing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Brandon Belt needs to get out of San Francisco. He is doomed to bad luck and tepid fan response as long as he remains

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Brandon Belt needs to get out of San Francisco. He is doomed to bad luck and tepid fan response as long as he remains

STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

The Pussy Boss posted:

Belt got beaned last night and has concussion symptoms :(

Giants put him on the concussion DL and call up.... Pablo Sandoval? Am I stuck in a time warp here?

I just saw the headline "Panda returns; Belt placed on concussion DL" and for a split second I thought they were talking about Pablo's belt.

4/9 never forget. Always in our hearts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGxRi7AD-A

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Blind Pineapple posted:

The Astros have scored 35 runs in their last 2 games against the Blue Jays, one of which involved Altuve, Springer, and Correa not playing.

We have feelings, you know. :cry:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Felix on dl again :(

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sorry, that was rude. What I meant to say was I hope all your favorite players leave, too. Kershaw would look awesome in a Yankees uniform.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

For some reason the Pirates claimed George Kontos on waivers, so the Giants gave him to them.

:confused: Not sure why we would give away a useful RP instead of just cutting Matt Cain

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The Nats are on pace to win 98 games and finish 16 games off for the pennant 😳

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

The Pussy Boss posted:

:confused: Not sure why we would give away a useful RP instead of just cutting Matt Cain

They were probably going to nontender him at the end of the year, and I don't blame them. Might as well see what Searage can do for him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Belt is also one of the only movable trade pieces SF has that could help restock a destitute farm system

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Ungratek posted:

The Nats are on pace to win 98 games and finish 16 games off for the pennant 😳

The Rockies and Dbacks could get the Wild Card while being 20 games out of first place

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Giancarlo Stanton smashed a 477-foot dong, the first one off the batters' eye at SunTrust, and the Braves won.

I feel like dongs over 450 feet should count as two runs. Shake things up the right way, MLB commissioners.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Bartolo pitched a complete game for the Twins tonight but couldn't get past 4 innings for the Braves. Cool.

The schadenfreude, it is delicious. :haw:

shadok posted:

I just saw the headline "Panda returns; Belt placed on concussion DL" and for a split second I thought they were talking about Pablo's belt.

I snort-laughed at this.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
serpico is back with the pirates baby

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

bump_fn posted:

serpico is back with the pirates baby
https://twitter.com/timwilliamsP2/status/893899686179897344

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Blind Pineapple posted:

Please know that this says more about how bad the Jays are than how good the Astros are.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

43-7 achieved, best 50-game stretch by any team since 1912

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers are 33-32 this year in games in which they trailed at any point.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Has anyone finished the season above .500 in those games? I would guess it wouldn't be possible unless you're the 98 Yankees/2001 Mariners/etc.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Rich Hill gave up three solo dongs in the first inning, the Dodgers responded with five of their own. Sheesh.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MrMojok posted:

Rich Hill gave up three solo dongs in the first inning, the Dodgers responded with five of their own. Sheesh.

The dinger gods needed appeasement

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Love this team

Any ideas for Dodger avatars? Will happily commemorate this achievement with one.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Ok so in a home game, Arodys Vizcaino got the final 2 outs while the score was 7-2. He also somehow got credited a save.

How?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Ok so in a home game, Arodys Vizcaino got the final 2 outs while the score was 7-2. He also somehow got credited a save.

How?

Save rules posted:

A relief pitcher is awarded a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:

He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
He is not the winning pitcher; and

He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
He enters the game, regardless of the score, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat, or on deck; or
He pitches for at least three innings.

The bases were loaded when he came in, which mean the tying run was on deck. Save rules are dumb.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Inspector_666 posted:

How?

Runners on base + remaining outs going down the batting order I'd imagine? If the bases were loaded you go to the man in the hole being the possible tying run with 2 outs, so if you get out of that situation it's a save?

If the the bases weren't loaded I don't know.

e:fb Also I'm bad at math and the guy on deck was the important one.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

The bases were loaded when he came in, which mean the tying run was on deck. Save rules are dumb.

Yeah, I didn't look at the box score close enough, I just saw that the other reliever gave up 3 hits in 0.1, fuckin' save rules.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Just imagine if they'd been able to beat the Braves with consistency :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Uh Matt Joyce got suspended 2 games and forfeits the game checks to charity for calling a fan a human being and threatening to kick his rear end after grounding out against the Angels on Friday

• Locked thread