Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

turns out that I need to spend a few hours backing up the config before blitzing it, so btrfs will stay for another day

hifi posted:

maybe ou 're running out of inodes

if this is the case, then I'll hit this error again very soon. The only remedy taken was a reboot.

but I suspect that btrfs was not clearing resources, so I couldn't use my free space. So if I don't format, I will likely hit the error again in a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

'df -i' will tell you. it shouldnt really be over 30%

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

freebsd 9 or 10 changed the installer algorithm for inodes/gb and people using vms with small amounts of disk were getting hosed because it was giving them linearly less inodes and when you extract the ports tree and compile something it basically explodes a billion source trees in your fs, or in some cases they couldn't even install freebsd because 8gb of storage gave you like 1k files or something really small that the devs didn't forsee happening.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

why would you limit inodes like that?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
because UFS was designed in 1970 and had fixed inode allocation, something something systemd is evil

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

why would you limit inodes like that?

its not limiting it's just the default settings for making a new fs, which sort of complicates things when you use those defaults when you're installing the os. back in the day though you'd have a 4 megabyte hard drive or whatever and it really peeved some jorts when 1 meg of that was the inode table. but recently they probably just picked whatever the storage requirement was and made a educated guess as to what would give a comfortable amount of inodes

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs is a system stable enough for production, the issue is that it needs a lot of janitoring that other filesystems don't need, and for someone as rh i guess it makes sense to not support it. lots of pitfalls the customers can fall in that makes thing behave badly

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hifi posted:

'df -i' will tell you. it shouldnt really be over 30%

/dev/mmcblk0p3
inodes: 0
iused: 0
ifree: 0
iuse% -
Mounted on /

Same values for the other btrfs partition on /home and the vfat partition on /boot/EFI

Maybe btrfs doesn't really have those inode limits that affect other oses?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

oh i guess you 're supposed to use the btrfs tools to get inodes

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

rhel is deprecating btrfs

this sucks cause my home partition is btrfs

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Condiv posted:

rhel is deprecating btrfs

this sucks cause my home partition is btrfs

so you'll have to come up with some alternative by 2028

god i love properly supported software

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tankakern posted:

btrfs is a system stable enough for production

Tankakern posted:

the issue is that it needs a lot of janitoring that other filesystems don't need.

Lmbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueZ6tvqhk8U&t=18s

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

so apparently my filesystem needed balancing, but it needs free space to do it, so I added a usb stick to the fs to do the balance before removing it

now I'm running a cron job to balance the filesystem weekly

this reminds me of the time that we had to defragment hard drives as part of proper pc maintenance, except we don't need to do it anymore, because our filesystems are advanced enough

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

el dorito posted:

so apparently my filesystem needed balancing, but it needs free space to do it, so I added a usb stick to the fs to do the balance before removing it

now I'm running a cron job to balance the filesystem weekly

this reminds me of the time that we had to defragment hard drives as part of proper pc maintenance, except we don't need to do it anymore, because our filesystems are advanced enough

guess u missed the memo where it's a better fs

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ext4eva

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
redhat deprecating btrfs does not mean it wont work, or that itll be removed from the kernel, just that red hat isnt going to help you if your poo poo breaks with btrfs filesystems

i have been using it on all of my machines for several years and have no plans to stop (btrfs snapshot + send/receive to a backup server owns) but plural of anecdote != data, etc.

e: though they could of course patch it out of rhel kernels; itll still be in the upstream kernels

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yes let's run a custom kernel on an OS that the only reason for installing is being able to CYA with their support

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

BobHoward posted:

why wouldn't you just download a binary like a normal human being

what does compiling it yourself get you other than hastening global warming

late reply, but gentoo does have binary packages of the most bothersome packages to self-compile, e.g. libreoffice-bin, google-chrome and firefox-bin

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

btrfs is a system stable enough for production, the issue is that it needs a lot of janitoring that other filesystems don't need, and for someone as rh i guess it makes sense to not support it. lots of pitfalls the customers can fall in that makes thing behave badly

redhat is happy to support all kinds of fiddly bullshit. the fiddlier the bullshit, the more "value" they build in your support "subscription" !

they deprecated the btrfs technical preview, because it is not, in fact, stable enough for production. not only that, but they no longer expect it ever will be

when poo poo is currently unsupportable but has a future, it enters technical preview. btrfs made it this far

when it is finished and meaningfully supportable, it becomes part of the core product. this ain't gonna happen for btrfs, apparently. the future is closed, boys.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I bet it'll still be in the kernel but they won't support it.

I'm sure the kernel has a ton of hardware drivers and iptables rules and esoteric junk that they leave in there with no intention of supporting anyways, but it costs nothing and doesn't increase the attack surface unless the sysadmin decides to load a module

I hope they continue to ship the btrfs tools too (competition is nice), but I won't be sad if they don't

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is the impossible condition

it's not like linux distributors choose the wrong flags on purpose. often the flags they chose are already the best choice, and you will eke out nothing more.

other times you will manage to get some subset of the system to compile with -Os -fomit-frame-pointer --gently caress-safety and it works except for a feature you didn't test

i run tensorflow from the google-compiled binary and every time it runs it says 'hey i wasnt complied withsse4.1/sse4.2/avx/avx2/fma support, think about it' and ok im not doing a ton of work on the cpu but there's probably a little juice to be squeezed out of it (not that im gonna b/c compiling tensorflow is a nuisance)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

pram posted:

cool linux stuck on ext until the heat death of the universe

honest question how different is ext4 / ext3 / ext2 from each other

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

fritz posted:

honest question how different is ext4 / ext3 / ext2 from each other

ext3 has journaling, which is a big deal

ext4 has extents, which is nice

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

el dorito posted:

ext3 has journaling, which is a big deal

ext4 has extents, which is nice

ext4 has native xattrs as well. Which is awesome.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

saw this in the f27 change list https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NoMoreAlpha

cool

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
was expecting that to be about the cpu

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

quote:

may attract more target users (developers) to Fedora

this is the biggest issue with fedora rn imo

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i dont know why anyone wants developers as a target user base, they suck

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

getting the arch linux crowd on rawhide is probably a cat 6 migraine for fedora devs but maybe it speeds up releases, who knows

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Suspicious Dish posted:

:smith:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

apparently, gedit is not being maintained anymore.

microsoft kills mspaint, the entire world is in an uproar
gnome decides not to support a graphical text editor, probably a lot of shrugging

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

developers are pretty much the only people who actively want to use linux on the desktop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

el dorito posted:

gnome decides not to support a graphical text editor, probably a lot of shrugging

the best part of his post is that it is just a thinly veiled advertisement for his incomplete reimplementation of gedit in a library

he is bragging about abandoning an application with actual users and complaining about "unnecessary" features while working on a library with neither users nor features

peak gnome 3

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

el dorito posted:

how much "maintenance" does an f'ing text editor need? it runs and edits text badabing badaboom its done

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how much "maintenance" does an f'ing text editor need? it runs and edits text badabing badaboom its done

gnome 3 has no stable apis. not even gtk 3, itself, is stable

every release requires app authors to rewrite anything that talks to a gnome api

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd consider taking over maintenance of gedit. Mind you, I'd start by rolling back every UI change since gnome2.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I'm struggling to care about one of the approximately 69,420 half-assed linux text editors becoming unsupported. just pick vim or emacs or pretty much anything that isn't a cadt product and you'll be fine

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lol if your editor isn't nedit

pram
Jun 10, 2001

RFC2324 posted:

Lol if your editor isn't nedit

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

only reason i know about nedit was a request from some ee to make it work in kde

i couldn't figure out why he wanted it