Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was told the plot made more sense thematically if you did high chaos Emily and niceguy Corvo, is that not the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I did low Chaos Corvo myself, mostly since I figured if I was gonna get the all the stealth achievements out of the way in one playthough, might as well do it as Stephen Russel. I'll need to go back one day and do a High Chaos Emily run, alongside a general Flesh and Steel run.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Murder Corvo doesn't make sense since Low Chaos first game is canon and he's basically Dad Garret in personality/VA

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Murder Corvo doesn't make sense since Low Chaos first game is canon and he's basically Dad Garret in personality/VA

Yeah, but he tried being nice once and now they've come and hosed with his family again. Time for "Death Wish" starring Corvo. I can see it working either way, with merciful runs as either character seeming more unlikely than high chaos ones. What's the incentive to leaving people alive? In the first game, you were being framed for murder and the people out to get you are innocent but deceived, this time usurpers from another nation waltz in and murder anyone loyal to you. That's practically suicide as far as I'm concerned, I'm just a vector.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the current entry for age of wonders 3 is not particularly helpful about gameplay mechanics, it's very sparse and almost entirely talking about the story campaigns

what are useful general things to know going into a random map game

edit:

Created pages for Deathstate and Conquest of Elysium 4 on the wiki, am open to feedback

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 7, 2017

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

LawfulWaffle posted:

Yeah, but he tried being nice once and now they've come and hosed with his family again. Time for "Death Wish" starring Corvo. I can see it working either way, with merciful runs as either character seeming more unlikely than high chaos ones. What's the incentive to leaving people alive? In the first game, you were being framed for murder and the people out to get you are innocent but deceived, this time usurpers from another nation waltz in and murder anyone loyal to you. That's practically suicide as far as I'm concerned, I'm just a vector.

I haven't actually done a murderous run but I thought I saw that it makes more bloodflies and goddammit I do not like bloodflies.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It does make more bloodflies, which are worse than plague rats. But at least their hives drop a nice piece of lucre.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

the current entry for age of wonders 3 is not particularly helpful about gameplay mechanics, it's very sparse and almost entirely talking about the story campaigns

There's a guide here which lays out early game strategies and tips for RMG games:

http://aow.triumph.net/beginners-strategy-guide/

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
playing FFT: WoTL for the first time

what are the strats and potential pitfalls for this game

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

General Morden posted:

playing FFT: WoTL for the first time

what are the strats and potential pitfalls for this game
The wiki page should give you everything you need to know, hopefully.

For a TL;DR version:
- Make sure Ramza is good in physical combat, he's got a couple solo duels.
- Keep multiple saves.
- Early battles are boring, give it time.
- Get the JP Boost skill on literally everyone ASAP.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

FFT: aside from the wiki stuff, there's an early fight where you're given the choice of save dude or kill baddies. Kill baddies is objectively superior, as it is both easier and gives you a reward. After that first one, the save option usually gives a better reward.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

what's the best way to play FFT these days? Emulate the PSP version and use that non-lag patch or whatever? there's so many versions and they all seem to have upsides and downsides and why isn't it on PC yet

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

what's the best way to play FFT these days? Emulate the PSP version and use that non-lag patch or whatever? there's so many versions and they all seem to have upsides and downsides and why isn't it on PC yet
If you want the new translation, it's up to you. PSP has some QoL improvements, I think, and you'll need to patch the PS1 version to get the new translation. Personally, I prefer to emulate the old version. The game is very much a product of its time, and having a wonky translation and slightly dodgy mechanics is part of the charm.

(Though if you set up a PSP emulator, you can also play Persona 3 Portable, which is my favorite JRPG basically ever.)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

Actual real tips:

- Always be fighting. You're not playing Civilization, where you hit end turn until something happens, you should be constantly moving your armies around killing independents to earn XP and collect resources.
- Don't forget to have scouts (you start with 1 or 2 units you can use for this), they can grab unguarded pickups, locate potential new city building sites and find independent cities for you to conquer/bribe
- It's most efficient to give each hero their own army, since the army wide buffs they can give do not stack with other heroes.
- The game tracks your relationship with each race separately. If you plan to make use of a race's units and cities, it pays to be nice to their independent cities so you can earn more governance points. If you don't, then just murdering them is fine.
- It takes time for your units to heal from battle damage, there are 2 ways to speed this up: Hero Skills (Archdruid and Theocrat have them) and having units in your army with healing abilities (like the human priest). Faster healing = More fighting = More loot.
- Each race likes 1 (or more) types of terrain and dislikes/hates 2. You can see what they like by mousing over the race's name in the unit panel. Do not place a city for a race in disliked/hatred terrain, it's economy will tank badly. You can use Migration to change the race of a city to something more appropriate.
- If you want to go full One Race Hitler, then some specializations have spells that change terrain so you can avoid disliked terrain penalties. The easiest to find is Cleanse Lands in the Creation Adept tree.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
You can probably trust Gerblyn's advice seeing as they're one of the devs of the game. :v:

Also the last person who asked about AoW 3 asked specifically about the campaigns, that's why the current advice mostly pertains to them. They're now in two separate categories.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

LawfulWaffle posted:

I also have a question: I was going through the demo as Emily and I was filled with a righteous anger that led me to murder all those loving traitors like I was playing CoD. I remember the first game started to change the world based on how "messy" you got; is there a similar penalty here? That ties into some of the targets to, like Ramsey at the beginning? If I let him live, do I get a more satisfying "non-lethal" end for him later, like the first game offered.

Actual Thing You Should Know:
High Chaos is not a penalty. You're not gonna hit it unless you're being very murderous, and in that case the game is just rewarding your playstyle with more dudes to kill. Savor it.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Any tips for Xenus II: White Gold?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Unreal_One posted:

FFT: aside from the wiki stuff, there's an early fight where you're given the choice of save dude or kill baddies. Kill baddies is objectively superior, as it is both easier and gives you a reward. After that first one, the save option usually gives a better reward.

I believe selecting the "save" option on the first battle like that raises the brave of everybody in the party permanently, albeit slightly. I may be remembering incorrectly, however.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Contingency Plan posted:

Any tips for Xenus II: White Gold?

First of all, you will need this http://www.moddb.com/games/white-gold-war-in-paradise/addons/xenus-2-white-gold-russian-soundpack-sounds-fix and this http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/4787/7/60985 . The first is a sound fix to make guns and cars and things actually have sounds; the second is a fan patch to fix a bunch of stuff like missing translations and game-killing bugs. So those are very important!

You won't be able to lockpick vehicles until you leave the first island. I don't know why, but that's how it works, and so when you get a free car early on you need to keep it from blowing up and try not to drive it into a lake or whatever. If you do lose it, you will definitely want another one, so just know that you can always steal a vehicle if you kill the driver while it's being driven. This works for cars, boats, etc. And don't do a bunch of cocaine on a whim. You will get addicted and it's a pain to deal with that if you're early on in the game and drugs are scarce. Later you can join the cartel if you want and it's a lot easier to find coke so at that point you can do what you want.

Basically, a lot of the game's freedom appears once you leave the starting island. Xenus 2 is hilarious, please have fun!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Anything that I might miss for FINAL FANTASY 6 (a.k.a. FINAL FANTASY III) that's not on the wiki? This is the one with Terra, Locke, Siban, etc. Not looking to break it over my knee or see every nook & cranny.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

1redflag posted:

Anything that I might miss for FINAL FANTASY 6 (a.k.a. FINAL FANTASY III) that's not on the wiki? This is the one with Terra, Locke, Siban, etc. Not looking to break it over my knee or see every nook & cranny.

I think the wiki basically covers everything if I remember.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

CCKeane posted:

I believe selecting the "save" option on the first battle like that raises the brave of everybody in the party permanently, albeit slightly. I may be remembering incorrectly, however.

Nope, it's weird, and just for the Algus fight, but the kill 'em option is the one that increases brave. The others it works as expected.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Algus is a piece of poo poo and you should pick "Kill all the enemies" then use him as a target for throwing stones.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

If you want the new translation, it's up to you. PSP has some QoL improvements, I think, and you'll need to patch the PS1 version to get the new translation. Personally, I prefer to emulate the old version. The game is very much a product of its time, and having a wonky translation and slightly dodgy mechanics is part of the charm.

(Though if you set up a PSP emulator, you can also play Persona 3 Portable, which is my favorite JRPG basically ever.)

WotL remake (PSP version):

+ Revised translation
+ Tweaked some mechanics for the better (albeit minorly)
+ New cutscenes
+ New jobs
+ New missions
+ New recruitable characters (including Balthier!)

- Embarrassingly terrible framerate drop when taking certain actions in battle
- New translation "lacks charm"
- It's on the PSP

On the cons side, #1 and #3 can be fixed by emulating, or if you prefer the ~authentic gaming experience~, you can load a softmod before booting the game on your PSP to fix the slowdown issue (and probably to restore the original translation, too, if you wanted). As for #2, you can just google "final fantasy tactics translation memes" to see what you're missing.

also PMush Perfect is right, Persona 3 Portable is very good :yotj:

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 7, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The phone versions of FFT: War of the Lions do not have the slow down bug. There is no reason in 2017 to encounter that bug.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Phone version also has things like finer camera control, faster animations. faster enemy turns, obnoxiously quick load times, and cutscene skipping if you're only in it for the combat.

Phone version is pretty drat good as far as I can tell.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
It isn't currently 64-bit but has had an update promised for the fall, so that it will continue to work with future versions of iOS.

It's really a great game even on an iPhone 4 size screen. I have a save file with over 42 hours logged.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Barudak posted:

The phone versions of FFT: War of the Lions do not have the slow down bug. There is no reason in 2017 to encounter that bug.

Ah balls, I've never tried the phone version--I was referring to the PSP release. Whoops.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

1redflag posted:

SpazmasterX posted:

I think the wiki basically covers everything if I remember.

There was actually some outdated/wrong information so I've cleaned it up a bunch. I also removed some things like "fight 255 battles with the cursed shield to get the paladin shield" (and the subsequent advice to turn Ragnarok into a weapon since you can get Ultima from the shield) which is like, negative advice aimed to make your life worse.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

corn in the bible posted:

First of all, you will need this http://www.moddb.com/games/white-gold-war-in-paradise/addons/xenus-2-white-gold-russian-soundpack-sounds-fix and this http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/4787/7/60985 . The first is a sound fix to make guns and cars and things actually have sounds; the second is a fan patch to fix a bunch of stuff like missing translations and game-killing bugs. So those are very important!

You won't be able to lockpick vehicles until you leave the first island. I don't know why, but that's how it works, and so when you get a free car early on you need to keep it from blowing up and try not to drive it into a lake or whatever. If you do lose it, you will definitely want another one, so just know that you can always steal a vehicle if you kill the driver while it's being driven. This works for cars, boats, etc. And don't do a bunch of cocaine on a whim. You will get addicted and it's a pain to deal with that if you're early on in the game and drugs are scarce. Later you can join the cartel if you want and it's a lot easier to find coke so at that point you can do what you want.

Basically, a lot of the game's freedom appears once you leave the starting island. Xenus 2 is hilarious, please have fun!

Oh poo poo they released a Boiling Point sequel?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

poptart_fairy posted:

Anything for Just Cause 3 now it's a PS+ game? Mech DLC worth it, anything to make map hunting less tedious, etc?

Go to your system settings and disconnect from the internet while playing. It will try to find the servers once when you launch, then never again. Makes the game much more playable.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Oh poo poo they released a Boiling Point sequel?

Then they released The Precursors, which is the same thing but in space and I'm told is equally idiotic

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Question for Shadowrun: Hong Kong. What should I do with my main character, so I'll have every role covered? I've played the previous SR games with a big troll with a big shotgun, and it always felt like someone from my team was doing the same thing but better, or that I was missing something from my team.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Question for Shadowrun: Hong Kong. What should I do with my main character, so I'll have every role covered? I've played the previous SR games with a big troll with a big shotgun, and it always felt like someone from my team was doing the same thing but better, or that I was missing something from my team.
I'm playing it right now and have made it probably halfway through.

My usual recommendation is a Mage with 6 Charisma (for etiquettes- gang, academic and shadowrunner are rock solid choices and come into play early). From there, 3 Body, 3 Quickness (3 Dodge) to avoid being one-shotted easily in combat. Depending on spell choice mages may need some Intelligence (no more than 4), and 2 Biotech to see enemy hp is handy. Strength can be left at 1. Keep Willpower and Spellcasting even and maximized as you go.

You don't get a free party member who does direct/area damage Mage spells so there's not much overlap with the free NPCs. Mage utility/AP-sapping spells are also really handy for tweaking action economy.

If that doesn't ring your bell, you also don't really get a cyberweapon user, and the mono whip is great. The other area for untapped melee is an adept. OTOH the two optional free NPCs have melee pretty well covered regardless.

Remember that with enough karma you can dip just enough to grab a totem or a basic adept power, or eventually some free Essence points (for cyberbioware) with just about any build. It is best to concentrate on just one "combat role" and be good at it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Lord Hypnostache posted:

The roles not covered in HK are the same as in DF, Physical Adept and Mage. Both can be very good, but a Mage will probably round out the group better as there is one purely melee-focused companion in HK already and Mages are hilariously strong in all of the games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

1redflag posted:

hmm, not really. i guess the only thing i'd point out is that when sabin joins you, there's a boss fight where you have to use his unique ability on the fly and it doesn't really explain it. here's how it works:
1) press confirm on the Blitz command
2) while the pointer is on sabin, input the blitz command you want
3) after inputting the buttons in the correct order, press confirm again

other important notes:
4) there is no live indication that you did it correctly, so don't expect a tone or anything
5) the game will only progress if you use pummel (left right left)

this is really kind of important to keep in mind because the game gives you 60 seconds to figure this out and it's strictly the only player dexterity-based special command in the entire game, so it's an unnecessary amount of pressure on a new player.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 8, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for The Technomancer? I figure it's a janky RPG and it's usually super easy to gently caress yourself over in those.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
now keep in mind i haven't played it to completion, but it's really important to level up your force lightning or whatever it's called. it's good enough on its own because it can lock enemies into a prolonged stun animation, but it's basically essential to have it at a high level because while there are no snipers (yet?) in the game, the short-range gunner enemies can stunlock you if you try to get close so you need a good ranged option.

~other great skills include~ the weapon style of your choice. i like technomancer staff because it does insane glass cannon damage and can even stun enemies, but in retrospect, there are a lot of annoying monsters who are 1) immune to electricity and, by extension, your best ranged attack, force lightning, and 2) have a damage aura that knocks you back, so you might wanna pick up rogue/guns instead specifically to shoot them in the face just outside of melee range.

you get a "technical skill" point every five levels (... iirc. honestly it's probably every sixth level lol :v:). this lets you interact with objects, pick locks, build stronger armors, search points of interests (no seriously you can't even loot treasure that isn't in a container unless you have this skill lol), etc etc. HOWEVER, there are tons of armors in the game that give you +1 search or +1 lockpicking, and you can swap them out at will, no cooldown, no penalty, so just keep em on hand and use them to shore up your skill deficiencies until you reach some astronomical level where you have every skill mastered.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 8, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is probably stuff we've discussed before, but what DLC are recommended for each of the Mass Effect games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PMush Perfect posted:

This is probably stuff we've discussed before, but what DLC are recommended for each of the Mass Effect games?

Mass Effect;
  • Bring Down the Sky

Mass Effect 2;
  • The Cerberus Network DLC (I think it's part of the base game now? Or at least it was the general anti-second-hand-copy DLC at the time)
  • Kasumi Stolen Memory
  • Lair of the Shadowbroker
  • Arrival
  • N7 Complete Arsenal Bundle (There are some really fun weapons in it, like the Blackstorm Projector and Venom Shotgun)

Mass Effect 3
  • From Ashes (Practically cut content from the base game, don't start the game without it)
  • Leviathan
  • Citadel (Save this for after you finish the game, it's basically a final love letter from the dev team as a goodbye to the franchise).
  • Extended Cut ending (pretty sure this is part of the base game now).