Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Lyman, do you follow the Korean LPGA?

The Explore algorithm of my Instagram seems to think I'm super interested in following KLPGA pros. They look more like models than your traditional professional golfers, though they all have super money swings. I just have never heard of this tour or the ladies on it.
I watch a fair amount of the LPGA but the KLPGA is filled with models first and golfers second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I stole probably 2/3 of my swing from Michelle wie and the rest from Tom Watson. The LPGA owns.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I watch a fair amount of the LPGA but the KLPGA is filled with models first and golfers second.

In that case I can think of a few instagram-famous lady golfers who should move to Korea.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Shrapnig posted:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Golfwrx LPGA/KLPGA "fashion thread" is currently 207 pages long lol

And 95% of the posts are by the same guy.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 3, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Michelle Wie leading the Women's British Open with an opening round of -8 lolwut

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Michelle Wie carrying a 6 hybrid at the Open what a joke

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I basically never hit my 6 maybe I should get a 6h too

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I want a 5 and 6 hybrid

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I had a 5h once. I hit it so high, it felt like a 180 yard wedge.

Then I realized it made me feel like an old man, so I took it out of the bag

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Michelle Wie leading the Women's British Open with an opening round of -8 lolwut

Laura Davies T8 at - 4. Now that's a bag I'd stick my club in.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dustin Johnson hit a loving 439 yard drive :stare:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

Laura Davies T8 at - 4. Now that's a bag I'd stick my club in.

You're into some weird poo poo Kameh, some weird poo poo.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Whoa, whoah...guys...settle down.

Can't we all just talk about Paige Spiranac?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Lincoln posted:

Whoa, whoah...guys...settle down.

Can't we all just talk about Paige Spiranac?

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loq0YvF2kAw

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r8_wQvNeBQ

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've been swapping lately between an XR 5 Hybrid Frankenhookered with a 80g Kuro Kage shaft and my set 5 iron Srixon z565 w CTaper lite s and yeah the hybrid doesn't go as far and launches a mile high but always seems to land softly in the same exact spot right at 185 while the 5 iron will run out to 195 but have 20 yds of left to right dispersion. I suck at golf though and don't practice much anymore, ymmv.

I tried hitting a z745 3 iron last year, that poo poo was comical, might as well been a 1960's Hogan blade.

^^^ I can't post within 100yds of Paige either.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My three league scores this week- 44 33 44.

This fuckin game

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

My three league scores this week- 44 33 44.

This fuckin game

This is my golf life. Only I can shoot a 47 with six pars.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I played in a tournament with my dad, brother and a '30' handicap yesterday.

It was an interesting format, best ball on the par 3s, best 2 balls on the par 4s, and best 3 balls on the par 5s.

I shot an 83 and I was 4 over on the par 5s from the white tees. Embarrassing :(. I hit into three lateral hazards in a 5 hole stretch.

I once again could not get off the tee box without putting myself in trouble, I didn't hit a fairway until my ninth hole and only hit one fairway with my driver. Once I put that away and started hitting my new driving iron I was in much better shape.

I also suffer from 'play it safe itis.' The second hole is a 500 yard par five, with water left of the green and water short right of the green. No where to bail on a long approach except for long and right.

I was 235 from the pin after my drive, decided to layup to wedge range cause I didn't trust myself with the new 3 iron. Hit a perfect layup and then pulled my wedge a tad bit going for the pin. Landed short and went in the water. Then hit a poor approach from 60 yards, three more to get in for a 8. Just a complete lapse of focus. There is just no reason I should ever take 5 strokes to get in the hole from 110 yards.

There's another hole that has water lining the fairway on the right and left, with little to no rough. The fairway itself is probably 30-40 yards wide but gets narrower as you go further. The hole is only 350 yards so I decided to hit a 6 iron to take the water out of play. Straight pulled it 30 yards off line, hits the cart path and goes in the water. I might as well just pound a driver up there and deal with the consequences, at least then I'd be dropping from closer to the hole...

Overall it was great to play with my dad and brother though, only happens probably once every couple of years.

We also won $110 of store credit because he 30 handicap got a net hole in one on one of the par threes, which gave us a team skin. This guy hit the ball 150 with his driver, but just poked it up the fairway and was okay around the greens. He never really has a birdie opportunity but can challenge par on the par 3s.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The Weezer needs to step it the gently caress up on the back 9 today +2 on the day

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Raining all day every day this weekend :negative:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

Raining all day every day this weekend :negative:

With a little luck that's how it'll be for me Wednesday through Tuesday :q:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Matsuyama good.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Stroud is tied for the lead in the opposite field, Stableford-scored Barracuda Championship. He's from my hometown, so I hope to see him pull through with a W.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Been getting progressively better due to my lessons and I decided to buy my first set of new clubs. Been playing for 22 years and have never been fitted for irons so it was a fun experience.
I've been using the Mizuno MP25's with Rifle 5.5 shafts and the guy doing the fitting said the shaft was too soft - amplifying my misses to the right. We ended up going with KBS X Flex.
The lie angle on the MP25 irons was flat/neutral. Hit a few shots with the marking tape with a 2.2degree upright config and was pretty much dead center.

I had my heart set on the Taylor Made P750 irons, the guy doing the fitting asked for a quote which ended up being $285 AUD PER IRON. Total cost would have been $2,250!!! WTF Taylor Made. I mean, even new Titleist irons aren't that much.

Decided on these instead:

https://www.ping.com/clubs/ironsdetail.aspx?id=21292

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 7, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Been getting progressively better due to my lessons and I decided to buy my first set of new clubs. Been playing for 22 years and have never been fitted for irons so it was a fun experience.
I've been using the Mizuno MP25's with Rifle 5.5 shafts and the guy doing the fitting said the shaft was too soft - amplifying my misses to the right. We ended up going with KBS X Flex.
The lie angle on the MP25 irons was flat/neutral. Hit a few shots with the marking tape with a 2.2degree upright config and was pretty much dead center.

I had my heart set on the Taylor Made P750 irons, the guy doing the fitting asked for a quote which ended up being $285 AUD PER IRON. Total cost would have been $2,250!!! WTF Taylor Made. I mean, even new Titleist irons aren't that much.

The iBlade is a solid club.

If your current clubs are 2.2* flat, that's going to make all your shots go right and outweigh any other fitting parameters. Shaft flex really has very little to do with it. However, that's not to say you won't fit into a KBS X, but keep in mind you're going from a regular flex to an extra stiff, skipping stiff altogether.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

PGA Championship week!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

PGA Championship week!
:siren: Thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829449 :siren:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You da man!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

California trip week too! Cleveland has started unveiling the clubs we'll be testing and keeping, looks good so far.

Unfortunately it's pretty much impossible for non San Diego residents to book a tee time for 4 people on Torrey Pines South so we'll probably be playing the North course. Much cheaper and probably just as nice, but I was hoping for the South.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Halo14 posted:

I have the biggest crush on iBlades, but I don't know if it's wise to game then as a dude who usually shoots 88-90. They just look so drat good. I've hit them a few times indoors and get great results but the promotional material seems to say they aren't a good fit unless you're a bit better player :saddowns:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Summit posted:

I have the biggest crush on iBlades, but I don't know if it's wise to game then as a dude who usually shoots 88-90. They just look so drat good. I've hit them a few times indoors and get great results but the promotional material seems to say they aren't a good fit unless you're a bit better player :saddowns:

It depends a bit on how well you hit irons on the whole. Cavity back irons will be a little more forgiving and lean towards higher ball flight. Blades are less forgiving but easier to shape shots with, and will often go a little lower on trajectory.

I love the look (and sound) of blades but I really want that higher trajectory with irons so the ball will sit down a bit softer.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Busy weekend coming up for me.

Tournament on Friday and then a round booked each day saturday and sunday!

Saturday is at The New Course at Grand Cypress resort. It's links style course where they've done their 1st and 18th exactly like St Andrews Old Course 1st and 18th.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Halo14 posted:

Yeah man, those are amazing looking and hitting clubs. Enjoy!

Had another range session with my S55s and have worked out whatever issue I had hitting the 4 iron. Still convinced these are the best irons I have ever hit (iBlades being basically the same club). Shots still going nice and straight, starting to amp up my distance as I find the groove with this newly modified swing. Driver was even goign straight. Just to get those odd shanks worked out of the cycle I should have a nice dependable game base.

Also just an aside to give Ping the shout out for their extra long wedge grip that comes with the Glide. Great idea, and I find it really helpful.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Thanks guys, they are beautiful irons - hope it doesn't take weeks to arrive :sweatdrop:

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah man, those are amazing looking and hitting clubs. Enjoy!

Had another range session with my S55s and have worked out whatever issue I had hitting the 4 iron. Still convinced these are the best irons I have ever hit (iBlades being basically the same club).

drat the S55 irons look real clean, I like. Yeah the guy doing the fitting said Ping was by far the straightest and most forgiving for every club fitting he's done with all kinds of players. He had me try some drivers but I kinda laughed and said not to bother - I can't hit a driver consistently to save my life. My TaylorMade R15 3 Wood goes almost as far and is much straighter.

Josh Lyman posted:

The iBlade is a solid club.

If your current clubs are 2.2* flat, that's going to make all your shots go right and outweigh any other fitting parameters. Shaft flex really has very little to do with it. However, that's not to say you won't fit into a KBS X, but keep in mind you're going from a regular flex to an extra stiff, skipping stiff altogether.

He said the Mizuno's were just neutral, so the adjustment made my good swings have a straight or slightly left direction and the right hand misses were far less pronounced.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 8, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Back to scotland tomorrow. I'm gonna post like a billion pictures.

I'm not even remotely sorry

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

DJExile posted:

Back to scotland tomorrow. I'm gonna post like a billion pictures.

I'm not even remotely sorry

I think a Scotland trip would be on top of my list for golf vacations, although that Mexico golf commercial I saw this weekend had some stunning looking ocean holes.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Since the halfway point of our golf season, I have become an unstoppable force destroying everyone in my path. At the same time, my partners game has turned to complete crap so we are making no headway.

Basically, I am lowering my handicap with no chance of winning the points lead because I started being good too late. :v:

On the plus side, I had my best round of the year despite an 8 and still managed to get mad because I had three putts for par I missed by inches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm now in another summer swoon with my swing. Before I left for a week's vacation in mid July i was shooting upper 80's low 90's. Ten days later I come back and I'm hitting my drives off the toe, off the bottom of the club, slicing, blah blah blah. My short game is better than ever, but the short game doesn't matter if you can't keep the ball in play.

Whoever said "Drive for Show, putt for Doe" wasn't hitting their tee shot into the woods 30% of the time. Putting means nothing if you can't hit off the tee.