Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am surprised that no one is talking about the Lio Rush spot from last night.

A lot of indy wrestlers have complained about the idea.

https://twitter.com/BulletClubItal/status/894025039791763456

the funny thing it does kinda expose the business because even as a work I always assumed that would hurt a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Oh, no poo poo he was on the CZW card? The guy is a goddamn trooper, for real. Wrestled at SCI on friday. CZW Saturday. SUP sunday. Please tell me he's resting today.

Janela is a really super cool dude. He sat with me and a couple of other marks and Gary Jay at a dinner after round one of SCI. We talked synthwave for a bit. Was kind of hoping he'd listen to some of my WIP music, but I was too star struck to ask. :suicide:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

so what I learned here is that a lot of people aren't familiar at all with Joey Janela

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

so what I learned here is that a lot of people aren't familiar at all with Joey Janela

No, not really, just seen his work in the ring a bit. Is he a poo poo lord or something?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

A comment on the people outraged at that silly spot not him as a person

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If you weigh under 300 pounds you should not be allowed to no sell anything.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

oatgan posted:

Oh. That makes much more sense.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the funny thing it does kinda expose the business because even as a work I always assumed that would hurt a little bit

I'm pretty sure it still hurt. Doesn't mean you can't stand up though.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The worst/best thing about the spot is Lio's angry tough man face that he pulls when he gets up

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Skunkrocker posted:

Oh, no poo poo he was on the CZW card? The guy is a goddamn trooper, for real. Wrestled at SCI on friday. CZW Saturday. SUP sunday. Please tell me he's resting today.

Janela is a really super cool dude. He sat with me and a couple of other marks and Gary Jay at a dinner after round one of SCI. We talked synthwave for a bit. Was kind of hoping he'd listen to some of my WIP music, but I was too star struck to ask. :suicide:

He was supposed to work both nights of SCI but Lio requested him for CZW and apparently CZW covered his whole travel for the weekend to make up for it

He looked like death warmed over on Sunday at SUP but at least he resurrected country music

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I am dedicated to upholding and preserving the sanctity of the art that is professional wrestling.

*watches CZW*

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Mob posted:

He was supposed to work both nights of SCI but Lio requested him for CZW and apparently CZW covered his whole travel for the weekend to make up for it

He looked like death warmed over on Sunday at SUP but at least he resurrected country music

Yeah, I didn't know it was CZW but we did discuss the travel arrangements.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

You got any other hot gossip from the weekend? My buddy tells me the NXT Superfans did some linecutting and got full diapers when they showed up late and didn't have front row seats saved for them(because they're special)

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Not really. Tank did a shoot interview now that he is retired and poo poo on a bunch of people. Steve Dave brought condoms hoping to bed a ring rat. Everyone still hates Paul Lee.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Yeah I wad curious what Tank's poo poo with "setting the record straight on the Mike Levy incident" was since it all seemed pretty straightforward at the time and nobody's story has changed since

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I am dedicated to upholding and preserving the sanctity of the art that is professional wrestling.

*watches CZW*

czw rules

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Refresh my memory, I was day drinking Saturday and Tank and Iceberg told a lot of stories.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Wish I knew to post about drama in here when Sonjay Dutt made Jimmy Rave go home after like 8 minutes by slapping his belly, making the ref count the 3, and then angrily going to the back at the Nova Pro show in May. The match seemed fine to that point. But then again I doubt there is any sort of "inside" line on the Nova Pro locker room.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

oatgan posted:

czw rules

I agree with you, I just think it's hilarious that people are up in arms.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Boco_T posted:

Wish I knew to post about drama in here when Sonjay Dutt made Jimmy Rave go home after like 8 minutes by slapping his belly, making the ref count the 3, and then angrily going to the back at the Nova Pro show in May. The match seemed fine to that point. But then again I doubt there is any sort of "inside" line on the Nova Pro locker room.

Jimmy Rave also no showed the JLIT for AIW and disappeared from twitter for awhile around the same time. I know he was in the hospital for a staph infection and was trying to sell old gear to make money.

All I know its he way out of shape, and hasn't had good matches in a long while no matter what a handful of hayseeds on Twitter say.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The_Rob posted:

It's not like he didn't take the spot though. I bet it hurt like hell. He's just that strong and rad. Also it's loving CZW I've seen some of the dumbest spots I've ever seen in that company. Who gives a poo poo.

Usually when someone in CZW takes an astoundingly stupid bump they have the decency to stay down for a bit, if only because they can't physically get back up.

And did Onita actually go through with the match? He's teased doing the exploding barbed wire match in the US so much I figured it was another one of those and that he was just going in real deep this time with the ruse.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

Usually when someone in CZW takes an astoundingly stupid bump they have the decency to stay down for a bit, if only because they can't physically get back up.

And did Onita actually go through with the match? He's teased doing the exploding barbed wire match in the US so much I figured it was another one of those and that he was just going in real deep this time with the ruse.
The one on one portion was about 10 minutes, with no exploding ring ropes like was kinda promised. There were only two explosions, both from the bat swings, lots of mist, and then Onita's crew entered the ring. CZW guys came in for the save, and a three on three began for about five minutes.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Onita nor the other FMW guys took explosion bumps. Ricky Shane Page ate the pin off of WING Kitamura(?). Meanwhile Tremont and Onita got caught on barbed wire and decided to hang out. It was glorious.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

The_Rob posted:

I'm pretty sure it still hurt. Doesn't mean you can't stand up though.

I mean like wind knocked out of you need a second to relax kinda hurt

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sportsgenius86 posted:

*watches CZW*

CZW is the only promotion that understands that duress can nullify a contract

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

oatgan posted:

Tho that one time he did say that one of the many unarmed black ppl murdered by cops deserved it. Might have been more than one, idk. He reflects his audience

Bigass Moth posted:

If you weigh under 300 pounds you should not be allowed to no sell anything.
The way I see it, hosses no-sell and loserweights oversell. Switch the alignment and it's just dumb as gently caress

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Yeah if it was a cool tough guy like Keith Lee no selling that spot it'd be one thing. But instead it was whiny baby man Lio Rush, which makes him look more like a try hard than he already comes off as.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
What's the deal with WrestleCircus and why do people seem to hate it?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Capsaicin posted:

I mean I think they're pretty fun but their shows go too long. They fixed that though so I dunno. What are people saying?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Capsaicin posted:

Various reasons. The Chikara True Believers think that Gentleman Jervis is a traitor for daring question the might Quakenbush. There's a ton of poo poo going with that.

WrestleCircus is a very new promotion and the people running it are new to the biz. They are making lots of mistakes, like the first shows not having food in the venue. They also complained about piracy which upset a lot of the people that were warming to the fed after seeing said pirated shows. Rumors about pay being late or money not secured abound too.

However, they seem to be righting the ship with the twitch sponsorship, and making good utilization of the site's features. Cards have been looking better which helps improve people's reaction to them.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It was pretty wild that they had to be told "hey, regular 5+ hour shows? A Bad Idea"

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Oz is much more convenient for working Japan. I'm guessing he's incredibly beat up physically, so just working Japan and a few Aussie indies and resting up the rest of the time should be great for him.

Yeah, New Japan & Ring of Honour are both his priorities since he's contracted to both but the difference between a ten hour flight to Japan and a flight from the UK being absurdly long thanks to having to do a transfer would be very attractive to Ospreay.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Strawberry Panda posted:

Yeah if it was a cool tough guy like Keith Lee no selling that spot it'd be one thing. But instead it was whiny baby man Lio Rush, which makes him look more like a try hard than he already comes off as.

https://twitter.com/itsLioRush/status/894697548652433408

Chris James 2 posted:

It was pretty wild that they had to be told "hey, regular 5+ hour shows? A Bad Idea"

https://twitter.com/wordsbig80s/status/894698128640757760

oatgan fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 8, 2017

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

coconono posted:

They also complained about piracy which upset a lot of the people that were warming to the fed after seeing said pirated shows. Rumors about pay being late or money not secured abound too.

they claimed 20,000 people stole shows, which is an absolutely absurd statement considering that even the best selling ROH shows of the Gabe era barely cracked 10k, and most indy streaming networks have subscribers in the hundreds.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

they claimed 20,000 people stole shows, which is an absolutely absurd statement considering that even the best selling ROH shows of the Gabe era barely cracked 10k, and most indy streaming networks have subscribers in the hundreds.

That whole piracy thing is particularly ironic since they've adopted a model of broadcasting to thousands of free viewers while a few hundred pay on Twitch. I hope it works out for them, but they're still only playing to the live crowd and there also might not be a worse chat experience on the entire site.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/AAWPro/status/894751950331301893
https://twitter.com/AAWPro/status/894740694690131971

a look back at last year's lineup

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It was still shorter than their other shows. I know they had 8 scheduled, then the pre-show match with a dude named Meatball, a "match" where Lance Hoyt kicked him once then won, then Hoyt's open challenge.

So technically yes, but even still it was done by 10:30 which meant we got to get chilli dogs and milkshakes before Sandy's closed. It was a good night.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 8, 2017

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Phenix Rising posted:

It was still shorter than their other shows. I know they had 8 scheduled, then the pre-show match with a dude named Meatball, a "match where Lance Hoyt kicked him once then won, then Hoyt's open challenge.

So technically yes, but even still it was done by 10:30 which meant we got to get chilli dogs and milkshakes before Sandy's closed. It was a good night.

The latest Wrestlecircus show had a crowd that I was actually certain existed for the main event, which is a massive improvement from the past twitch ones.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

PIracy's just something you have to work around. The only solution is to get the price point cheaper than the effort to steal it. The twitch deal is in the right direction. They get a pipeline on that amazon money, plus the tipping online is pretty neat. I think that keeps the wrestlers interested in dropping by more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

coconono posted:

WrestleCircus is a very new promotion and the people running it are new to the biz. They are making lots of mistakes, like the first shows not having food in the venue. They also complained about piracy which upset a lot of the people that were warming to the fed after seeing said pirated shows. Rumors about pay being late or money not secured abound too.

The only thing I've seen about guys not getting paid was Tonga Loa blasting them on twitter and later apologizing when it was discovered they accidentally paid Tama Tonga twice