Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

I know dusty diamond and both panic puppets are the usual suspects when talking 3d blast gen but tell me this isnt great stuff
https://youtu.be/Le9dTWyXc1E

Shoutouts to the volcano zone too. Also we all know panic puppet 1 is the best song right

:yeah:

Also 3D Blast has some top tier zone names. Diamond Dust, :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm that guy who defends Sonic CD and the Game Gear games and Chaotix and Sonic R but even I have a hard time having fun playing 3D Blast

I remember when I was a little kid, my parents were gone and a babysitter came over. I was showing her Sonic 3 & Knuckles and telling her how amazing it was and she was like "Well that's all well and good, but I've played that and I wanna see that NEW Sonic game for the Sega Saturn!"

In that instant my tiny little soul was crushed, I sighed and was like "Well... okay I guess." and I reluctantly powered on the Saturn. "Are you sure you don't want to play NiGHTS instead?"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ArfJason posted:

I know dusty diamond and both panic puppets are the usual suspects when talking 3d blast gen but tell me this isnt great stuff
https://youtu.be/Le9dTWyXc1E

Shoutouts to the volcano zone too. Also we all know panic puppet 1 is the best song right

The genesis and Saturn soundtrack both have some pretty good songs.

But then this exists.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Listen, I love me some Sonic R and 3D Blast (Mega Drive/the Good version), but Chaotix is just dire. It might actually be worse than Sonic 4.
Sonic 4 is horribly designed, but I'm not sure Chaotix HAS any level design.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In all seriousness, I do think we're overdue for a collection of some of the handheld games. Say what you will about the DIMPS titles but they were fairly significant releases and aside from the Rush titles, a lot of them aren't available to play on modern portable hardware.

A compilation release of Sonic Advance 1, Advance 2, Advance 3, both Rush titles, and Sonic Pocket Adventure would be great.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Does anyone remember that Sonic Fan game that linked in this thread months ago, the one that had time travel mechanics kinda like Sonic CD but was kinda different?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Stink Terios posted:

Listen, I love me some Sonic R and 3D Blast (Mega Drive/the Good version), but Chaotix is just dire. It might actually be worse than Sonic 4.
Sonic 4 is horribly designed, but I'm not sure Chaotix HAS any level design.

Yeah... Chaotix like... kind of doesn't. All the levels are vertical and the most challenging part of the game is actually navigating the mazes they call levels. Otherwise the game is just absurdly easy and meh. And the levels are so repetitive. There's 5 acts each. And they're randomized because the devs knew if you did 5 in a row you would go insane.

However at least Chaotix has good music and graphics even though the gameplay sucks, which is more than I can say about Sonic 4. It's not frustrating either. Chaotix has a whopping zero bottomless pits (and Sonic CD only has one.) It has no lives system at all either, so it's almost ahead of it's time! It also feels woefully unfinished and just kind of ends.

I think it boils down to if you're willing to stomach the boredom of Chaotix or getting kicked in the balls with steel-toed boots which is Sonic 4. I'll take the really shallow, boring game in that case

TFRazorsaw posted:

A compilation release of Sonic Advance 1, Advance 2, Advance 3, both Rush titles, and Sonic Pocket Adventure, Sonic Chaos, Triple Trouble, Tails Adventure would be great.

Fixed that for you

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That already came out though.

and every single one of those games you edited in is available on 3DS virtual console.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

The genesis and Saturn soundtrack both have some pretty good songs.

But then this exists.

Christ, how have I never looked up he Saturn soundtrack before, that is dire. And what's with the Santa's-Workshop-rear end Diamond Dust, yeesh.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Here's the good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxP0n7h_914

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

It also feels woefully unfinished and just kind of ends.

I think it boils down to if you're willing to stomach the boredom of Chaotix or getting kicked in the balls with steel-toed boots which is Sonic 4. I'll take the really shallow, boring game in that case

Eh, I'm of the "bad is worse than boring" school of thought. But at least the beast parts of Chaotix (the music) can be experienced without actually playing the game. I don't think Sonic 4 has any parts that can be qualified as "good".

e:

Evil Eagle posted:

Here's the good stuff

This is my jam.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Chaotix is surprisingly fun with another experienced Sonic player. I did a run last week and had an enjoyable time.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Stink Terios posted:

Eh, I'm of the "bad is worse than boring" school of thought. But at least the beast parts of Chaotix (the music) can be experienced without actually playing the game. I don't think Sonic 4 has any parts that can be qualified as "good".

i havent ever played sonic 4 but ive always liked mad gear's music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meJMtuujb5A

also this guy made a remix of the really bluuuuh act 2 song and i think its incredibly sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARaQgVrEY9I

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

Christ, how have I never looked up he Saturn soundtrack before, that is dire. And what's with the Santa's-Workshop-rear end Diamond Dust, yeesh.

Gene Gadget Rusty Ruin and Volcano Valley are okay.

But Panic Puppet is a far cry from the Genesis version, and is only notable because for some reason it was remixed into the boss music for Sonic Chronicles. (Like, as actual music, not a lovely low-fi midi).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Stink Terios posted:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ive never given the saturn 3d blast soundtrack a full listen but from what i remember it wasnt nearly as catchy as the genesis one but for a long time i saw nothing but praise for it, to the point where i still believe its the fan favourite.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

ArfJason posted:

i havent ever played sonic 4 but ive always liked mad gear's music

Actually, I take it back. Given competent remixes, Sonic 4's music is actually very good.

Bettter than anything on Forces that's for sure.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ArfJason posted:

ive never given the saturn 3d blast soundtrack a full listen but from what i remember it wasnt nearly as catchy as the genesis one but for a long time i saw nothing but praise for it, to the point where i still believe its the fan favourite.

Well, it did have the same composer as Sonic R(seriously, listen to the Gene Gadget link from before). And people love that soundtrack too.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Stink Terios posted:

Actually, I take it back. Given competent remixes, Sonic 4's music is actually very good.

Bettter than anything on Forces that's for sure.

its a shame that to truly sound good the 4 soundtrack needs to be reinterpreted a LOT. But I'm glad it existed because at least it gave us that really cool mad gear act 2 genesis mix

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I don't think Sonic's 4 music was inherently bad, but most of them required a bit more polish. The melodies were pretty alright, but the only way I can put it is that the sounds needed to be a bit 'cleaner'.

That said, I will fight anybody that says Lost Labyrinth's Act 2 music is bad. That song is the single best part of Sonic 4 Ep.1

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Well, it did have the same composer as Sonic R(seriously, listen to the Gene Gadget link from before). And people love that soundtrack too.

richard jacques owns, imo. and that gene gadget song is pretty cool, but i have a hard time finding a catchy melodic hook to remember it. Volcano VAlley 2 even more so. No idea what the gently caress he was going for with spring yard, but I like the instrumentation.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Man I was thinking, like, maybe Tee Lopes couldn't do 16-bit music and maybe it's silly to wish for him to just redo the sound track.

This has probably been posted before but never mind, this is even better than the normal track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z-JhQmoFWQ
I seriously don't remember this being special or unique in any way. Or was there another polar bear later on in the game? I think I fell asleep during the sky chase remake poo poo.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Rorac posted:

I don't think Sonic's 4 music was inherently bad, but most of them required a bit more polish. The melodies were pretty alright, but the only way I can put it is that the sounds needed to be a bit 'cleaner'.

That said, I will fight anybody that says Lost Labyrinth's Act 2 music is bad. That song is the single best part of Sonic 4 Ep.1

my gripe with the sonic 4 compositions is that they are REALLY short, like, mad gear 1 loops at around 40 seconds.
then again, hydrocity 2 doesnt even come close to one minute, but at least its a much more complex composition

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Ventana posted:

Does anyone remember that Sonic Fan game that linked in this thread months ago, the one that had time travel mechanics kinda like Sonic CD but was kinda different?

Sonic Time Twisted by Overbound. You go to the past to get time stones, the future to get chaos emeralds. It's really good, flows extremely well, fun gimmicks, good boss fights. The cut scenes and the true ending are pretty lol though.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

I think I fell asleep during the sky chase remake poo poo.

Oh, you didn't play Sky Fortress Act 2? It's the highlight of Sonic 4 as a whole, and possibly even Good.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

pathetic little tramp posted:

Sonic Time Twisted by Overbound. You go to the past to get time stones, the future to get chaos emeralds. It's really good, flows extremely well, fun gimmicks, good boss fights. The cut scenes and the true ending are pretty lol though.

Alright, I think this was it, thanks a bunch!

If anyone knows or remembers other fan games worth checking out, shout them out and I'll check them out. Gonna check out Before/After the Sequel but kinda fell out of other fan games for a while.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the saturn soundtrack kicks loving rear end

especially panic puppet

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

Music kicks rear end too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gD9LDjUZzE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIELWnGJOvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTqcx3Y7beM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veA8GgDC6Sc

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Spiderdrake posted:

I seriously don't remember this being special or unique in any way. Or was there another polar bear later on in the game? I think I fell asleep during the sky chase remake poo poo.

It's special because it's a polar bear.

I love polar bears. And it's just a really solid, good design.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sonic Robo Blast 2 is awesome. 3D sonic with tons of fun exploration but you can go fast if you want too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10bOimSFYC4

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
from my dark dark times in the Sonic Fan Games HeadQuarter, I remember playing (and making) some really lovely rear end sonic fangames that didnt even have loops.

I remember one that had a super serious "Eggman Kills Tails" intro played super straight and dramatic and to this day I still lol about it the way I did when I first saw it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Sonic Robo Blast 2 is awesome. 3D sonic with tons of fun exploration but you can go fast if you want too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10bOimSFYC4

on the topic of my dark days of sonic fangaming!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

richard jacques owns, imo. and that gene gadget song is pretty cool, but i have a hard time finding a catchy melodic hook to remember it. Volcano VAlley 2 even more so. No idea what the gently caress he was going for with spring yard, but I like the instrumentation.

I love how Spring Yard uses a duck call but man, I think circus music is one of the most dangerous kinds of video game music. You need to treat it lightly or else you're going to get something way too overbearing and that song... did not treat it lightly. It's especially notable here because 3D Blast's levels are looooong.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 7, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so Snowy up there got my mind going. Favorite badnik designs? Favorite badnik designs.

Here's mine by every game:

Sonic 1 - Motobug

Sonic 2 - Grounder

Sonic 3 - Penguinator

Sonic & Knuckles - Sandworm (as reimagined by Sonic Colors)

Sonic CD - Sasori

Knuckles Chaotix - Dribbler

Sonic Adventure 1/2 - Leon

Sonic Heroes - E-2000

Shadow the Hedgehog - Egg Pierrot

Sonic Unleashed - Egg Launcher

Sonic Colors - Mole

Honorable Mention: Steelion (Sonic 4 Episode 2), because I also love sea lions and because his name is pretty good:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Look at all those Eggman's robots!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'll take care of them.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
of course its penguinator for 3.
i mean what else would anyone choose just look at him

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ArfJason posted:

of course its penguinator for 3.
i mean what else would anyone choose just look at him

It was a hard choice between him and Rhino Tank.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

When this became Scrap Brain Master System version I CLAPPED!
Speaking of SRB2, you guys should check out SUGOI and its sequel SUBARASHII. They're massive collabs with a ton of levels and creative nonsense using impressive technology, as well as being pretty much the only things that use slopes, since those were recent additions.
They have very, very silly plotlines too.

http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=41903
http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=42837

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ive always liked these guys from 2

relaxed looking turtles is of my favourite things

comedy option: the chickens in turrets during wing fortress

edit: wait these are worthless without the lil guys on top