Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

why not just play the original cave story

Cave Story + has cool new content.
If a patch to revert the game to its old translation exists, apply it and it becomes the best version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You might like Momodora (which is similar to HK in a lot of ways), but it's ultra super short so I didn't find it real satisfying personally.

It's on sale in the current Weeklongs, fyi.

It might also be one of the few things of note, the Weeklong Deals look pretty awful from here and I'm the one trying to find good in them. If you want to read about the crap being offered I have a bit to say about them here.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Scott Forstall posted:

Following up on my new-found obsession with Rome Total War, I am now buying a new iPad Pro to play it on my upcoming vacation.

I'll also snag some stuff like Baldurs Gate/BG2/Icewind Dale, FTL, maybe some other stuff. Are there any other classic PC games that got ported to iPad I should look out for?

E: I know this is the steam thread, I'll probably ask in the iOS games thread too

If you like Myst-likes, there's realMyst and the 7th Guest.

Papers Please plays really well on the iPad.

Uplink is pretty good on an iPad mini, but a Pro may be too big.

A few other's I've played and enjoyed: Sid Meir's Pirates! KoToR.

Oh, and if you're a fan of The Longest Journey, avoid the iOS port like the plague. Sound is broken and will probably never get fixed.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Having beaten Cave Story recently I really don't understand how that game gave birth to such a rabid fandom.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Yodzilla posted:

Having beaten Cave Story recently I really don't understand how that game gave birth to such a rabid fandom.

That's mostly because you beat it recently rather than 13 years ago when it initally came out and indie games weren't much of a thing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah for some reason it never grabbed me back in the day. It was fine enough to play through now I guess even if I think the end boss rush is a pile of horse poo poo.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah for some reason it never grabbed me back in the day. It was fine enough to play through now I guess even if I think the end boss rush is a pile of horse poo poo.

Yeah, the PC indie game landscape was barren back when this was originally released. That combined with the fact that this was a style of game usually reserved for consoles, and there's a reason why every broke kid with a PC lost their poo poo over this game back in '04.

VVVVVV

You're right, after thinking about it the only other PC indie games I could come up with from the same timeframe are Gish and Eternal Daughter.

Edit: I really wish Derek Yu would remake Eternal Daughter, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 7, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

indie pc gaming in ought 4 wasn't barren, it practically didn't exist. cave story almost singlehandedly invented it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Too Shy Guy posted:

It's on sale in the current Weeklongs, fyi.

It might also be one of the few things of note, the Weeklong Deals look pretty awful from here and I'm the one trying to find good in them. If you want to read about the crap being offered I have a bit to say about them here.

House of the Dying Sun, Monster Slayers and Unity of Command are all good games I own and have played.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

It's a decent game with furries and the weapon system is kind of cool.

That said, I always thought it was just alright and it has too much annoying backtracking like the area where you have to collect the dogs.

trying to think offhand of other similar freeware games that came out around the same time, la-mulana is one but I'm not sure when the english fanpatch came out.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 7, 2017

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Looks like I'll give ESA another shot, thanks for the recommendations all.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Yodzilla posted:

For some stupid reason, I decided to go for the best ending on my first playthrough.

That was a very poorly thought out idea.

Mind, it was one of the few platformers / metrovidanias that I played almost all the way through, so I guess it's pretty good regardless.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Also someone tell me the best dungeon-crawlers on steam that have turn-based combat and aren't 15+ years old. I can't wrap my head around real-time combat in these types of games so no Grimrock or the like. I'm already well aware Grimoire is a thing that exists.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Blattdorf posted:

It definitely goes places.

Nongunz is so intense I have to take breaks because my hands hurt from all the acrobatics. Play Nongunz!

I've got no loving idea what I'm doing in Nongunz and the controls feel kinda awkward. I wish there was a way to shoot with the mouse without the screen spazzing out, shooting with the keyboard is just not comfortable at all. Haven't even managed to beat the first boss yet, and there's often areas that just feel weird to go through. I feel like I'm missing some controls or something because sometimes it just feels impossible to avoid getting hit by stuff.

Also, after I've gotten a couple of prisoners is there anything stopping me from literally just sitting in the starting area until I get infinity red points? Besides it being very slow, of course.

Also the thing that happens when you try to quit out was an amazingly weird joke, I'm keeping on playing on the strength of that alone.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Sivek posted:

Also someone tell me the best dungeon-crawlers on steam that have turn-based combat and aren't 15+ years old. I can't wrap my head around real-time combat in these types of games so no Grimrock or the like. I'm already well aware Grimoire is a thing that exists.

Might & Magic X is good. Dungeon Rats (isometric) is also supposed to be good but I haven't played it. Lords of Xulima is also decent.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Sivek posted:

I dunno if they're any good but a bunch of Vita dungeon crawlers have come out on Steam over the past couple of years:

Stranger of Sword City, Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy, and Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy, Ray Gigant (all by the same developer, Experience):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/409890/Stranger_of_Sword_City/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/548810/Operation_Babel_New_Tokyo_Legacy/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/541450/Operation_Abyss_New_Tokyo_Legacy/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/421600/Ray_Gigant/

Elminage Gothic (Japanese Wizardry-like):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291960/Elminage_Gothic/

Mind Zero (developed by Acquire and Zerodiv):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/322630/Mind_Zero/

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Yodzilla posted:

And terrible cutscenes artwork aside, Dust: An Elysian Tale is a good Metroidvania with great combat.

It was surprisingly good for a game where the main character is the dev's furry self-insert. Now if only he had hired a writer and some decent VAs...

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Infinity Gaia posted:

I've got no loving idea what I'm doing in Nongunz and the controls feel kinda awkward. I wish there was a way to shoot with the mouse without the screen spazzing out, shooting with the keyboard is just not comfortable at all. Haven't even managed to beat the first boss yet, and there's often areas that just feel weird to go through. I feel like I'm missing some controls or something because sometimes it just feels impossible to avoid getting hit by stuff.

Also, after I've gotten a couple of prisoners is there anything stopping me from literally just sitting in the starting area until I get infinity red points? Besides it being very slow, of course.

Also the thing that happens when you try to quit out was an amazingly weird joke, I'm keeping on playing on the strength of that alone.

You really, really, really want a controller for this one, the dodge roll and slide are very important and you can cancel both into midair jumps that can let you reach seemingly inaccessible areas. I wouldn't say it's impossible to avoid getting hit by some stuff but some of the room-enemy arrangements make it real hard not to take damage. Fortunately your health regenerates and you can consume your upgrades for health before they expire.

You absolutely can sit around and farm points, in fact in the room you go to when you quit you can make time run faster to passively accumulate more points. The thing is, you're not going to get nearly as many points passively as you are from chaining combos together, which can get you in excess of 10k a pop once you get around 20-30x. And since your upgrades expire over time, it's more important to be gathering points and upgrades quickly than to build huge reserves.

I'm enjoying figuring the whole thing out and the combat is pretty fun, but from what I can tell you're basically doing dry runs until you assemble the upgrades and weapons you need for a perfect full run and that's not super compelling to me. Since you lose everything except the stuff you've banked at the graveyard when you die, you have to be 100% sure you're going to kill a boss when you face them or you stand to lose a ton of progress.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Too Shy Guy posted:

You really, really, really want a controller for this one, the dodge roll and slide are very important and you can cancel both into midair jumps that can let you reach seemingly inaccessible areas. I wouldn't say it's impossible to avoid getting hit by some stuff but some of the room-enemy arrangements make it real hard not to take damage. Fortunately your health regenerates and you can consume your upgrades for health before they expire.

You absolutely can sit around and farm points, in fact in the room you go to when you quit you can make time run faster to passively accumulate more points. The thing is, you're not going to get nearly as many points passively as you are from chaining combos together, which can get you in excess of 10k a pop once you get around 20-30x. And since your upgrades expire over time, it's more important to be gathering points and upgrades quickly than to build huge reserves.

I'm enjoying figuring the whole thing out and the combat is pretty fun, but from what I can tell you're basically doing dry runs until you assemble the upgrades and weapons you need for a perfect full run and that's not super compelling to me. Since you lose everything except the stuff you've banked at the graveyard when you die, you have to be 100% sure you're going to kill a boss when you face them or you stand to lose a ton of progress.

Wait, I had my controller plugged in but it didn't seem to recognize it, so I was assuming it was a weird M+KB only game. Yeah, using a controller would REALLY help this game a lot, haha.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Blattdorf posted:

The only other game that rivals Hollow Knight is actually ESA, with the latter being peak metroidvania in my estimate.

Ori is cool and worth checking out, but doesn't have that sense of exploration the above two games offer.

Anyone recommending Axiom Verge as a good metroidvania should just leave their metroidvania credentials at the door. The game has a promising start and then falls apart halfway through.
:hfive: Axiom Verge is a neat attempt for 1 guy but really not a good game outside of the first promising 15% of the game.

Fuligin posted:

I 100%ed Hollow Knight and now I'm craving more ~metroidvania good stuff~
also just loadup an emulator (buy a ds/snes/psx) and play Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Zero Suit, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and the DS games (Order of Ecclesia, Portrait of Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow). they're still loving good games and very few have even come close to their greatness. Hollow Knight is one of those exceptions that exceeds that greatness in many ways but nothing else on Steam does for the most part. Not that there aren't good ones out there in different ways (like guacamelee), but if you want metroidvania, go to the source imo.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sivek posted:

Starcrawlers

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
For Honor will get a free weekend and be 50% off for it's duration

They're dropping 2 new classes for it too.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Xaris posted:

:hfive: Axiom Verge is a neat attempt for 1 guy but really not a good game outside of the first promising 15% of the game.

also just loadup an emulator (buy a ds/snes/psx) and play Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Zero Suit, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and the DS games (Order of Ecclesia, Portrait of Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow). they're still loving good games and very few have even come close to their greatness. Hollow Knight is one of those exceptions that exceeds that greatness in many ways but nothing else on Steam does for the most part. Not that there aren't good ones out there in different ways (like guacamelee), but if you want metroidvania, go to the source imo.

Super Metroid is just going to make you hate how none of the modern games can get the backtracking, sense of progression, and sequence breaking aspects of a metroidvania right. It makes me sad that hollow knight had to patch in a fast travel thing but then again it's not a clone of super metroid. Axiom verge is cool but too loving bloated and long.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
So is Lawbreakers any good?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

nachos posted:

Super Metroid is just going to make you hate how none of the modern games can get the backtracking, sense of progression, and sequence breaking aspects of a metroidvania right. It makes me sad that hollow knight had to patch in a fast travel thing but then again it's not a clone of super metroid. Axiom verge is cool but too loving bloated and long.

The dream gate just allows you to set a recall point. Why does that make you sad?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Why the gently caress would they do this before they implement dedicated servers? :psyduck:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Someone mentioned my last review was pretty good, so here's one for Masochisia:

quote:

For a time, Masochisia has the power to creep out, to do with unreliable narrators and time-jumps something a little different than animatronic bears jumpiing at the screen.

It loses the thread a bit in the middle, devolving into edgelord "it's not a phase, MOOOMMMMM" nonsense, and if you're familiar with the particular real-life inspiration, then being driven to re-enact his crimes can be a bit unsettling. The game's warnings not to play it if you struggle with depression are a bit maudlin and over-the-top, but it still is a servicably dark tale.

THAT ENDING THOUGH!

It's tough for any story-based medium to stick the landing. Masochisia nails it though, and has one of the all-time great final moments of any game I've played, ever. For 3 hours and $8, you can do much worse. I'm not sure you can do better.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Deakul posted:

Why the gently caress would they do this before they implement dedicated servers? :psyduck:

That's an interesting marketing strategy if true.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

The dream gate just allows you to set a recall point. Why does that make you sad?

Yeah the new teleport just lets you go back to where you've been before and you probably won't get it until around halfway into the game, I don't think it really dumbs down the exploration.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Shame it still doesn't solve the problem of having to go through the Deep Nest multiple times. gently caress that entire lower area in Hollow Knight.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I wish there was a "wishy-washy hand" symbol for steam reviews, because I really like Oddworld New N Tasty, but I have died/ragequit far more times from the spotty controls than any actual difficult section. It's seriously frustrating how much momentum does/doesn't play in to certain actions over others.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I wish there was a "wishy-washy hand" symbol for steam reviews, because I really like Oddworld New N Tasty, but I have died/ragequit far more times from the spotty controls than any actual difficult section. It's seriously frustrating how much momentum does/doesn't play in to certain actions over others.
yeah, positive-negative is better than 5-star stuff which effectively ends up being 1 or 4-5 just out of human nature, but itd be nice for a neutral option as well.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xaris posted:

yeah, positive-negative is better than 5-star stuff which effectively ends up being 1 or 4-5 just out of human nature, but itd be nice for a neutral option as well.
I understand that +/- (and the resulting % positive score) is better, but if there was also a "wait for a sale" recommendation addendum, that would make writing reviews/giving games recommendations so much easier. Oddworld remake at $8 is a great deal. At $20 it feels like a ripoff.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Deakul posted:

Dedicated Servers are coming "when it's ready" so far. They've said 2017(I think?) which might still take a while, that if there's no delays.

(There will be delays)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

spasticColon posted:

So is Lawbreakers any good?

I really didn't like it. It relies a lot on doing ability combos to blow out high damage (but going into full cooldown) on people in a high mobility game, meaning it feels like it has a very high skill ceiling but relatively shallow tactics. Some classes are funner than others and I can definitely see what they're going for. It's like if Overwatch was like 50% genjis per weight, or like playing Tribes inside a cardboard box.

I like the idea of what they're aiming for on paper but the execution had a lot of badfeel for me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's like if Overwatch was like 50% genjis per weight

never should have reassembled that idiot...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I really didn't like it. It relies a lot on doing ability combos to blow out high damage (but going into full cooldown) on people in a high mobility game, meaning it feels like it has a very high skill ceiling but relatively shallow tactics. Some classes are funner than others and I can definitely see what they're going for. It's like if Overwatch was like 50% genjis per weight, or like playing Tribes inside a cardboard box.

I like the idea of what they're aiming for on paper but the execution had a lot of badfeel for me.
ugghh

Genji almost singlehandledly ruined Overwatch so no. I even like high mobility games but you need to have the bigger space and tightly designed game to handle it, that kind of just sounds bad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jamfrost posted:

Cave Story + is

A fun action platformer, but not a Metroidvania. :colbert:

Metroid Fusion is a Metroidvania, but a terrible one. Double :colbert:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Xaris posted:

ugghh

Genji almost singlehandledly ruined Overwatch so no. I even like high mobility games but you need to have the bigger space and tightly designed game to handle it, that kind of just sounds bad.

Yeah, when every tutorial video I was watching felt like "first you shoot them with this them you throw this grenade then you dash in to finish them with this charge really quick"... I think that kind of thing is fun when it comes out of actual player innovation and creativity, but having it baked into the game just feels like a classic Killer Instinct dial-a-combo analogue to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I understand that +/- (and the resulting % positive score) is better, but if there was also a "wait for a sale" recommendation addendum, that would make writing reviews/giving games recommendations so much easier. Oddworld remake at $8 is a great deal. At $20 it feels like a ripoff.

It's funny you mention that because the curator system has a neutral/informative rating in addition to positive or negative, but because the two systems are entirely divested from each other you can't write an actual neutral review for your neutral curation to point to. Personally though I prefer the binary up/down system, because in the end the point should be to tell people to get it or not even if you have to qualify the hell out of your position.

While I'm here, anyone play Bunker Punks? How complete is it?

EDIT: Huh, saw something called Hermodr in the related section. Anyone ever even heard of it? I might have a thing for retro FPSes.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 8, 2017