Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

feedmyleg posted:

Geez, really? After Idiocracy I figured Judge was ultra left. That movie might merit a reexamination now...

Mike Judge has always been an open conservative, but until recently he was one of the more reasonable ones, hence why he was able to write a show like King of the Hill where Hank's ultraconservative values often conflict with the reality of how people and corporations behave.

That show had its share of ridiculous strawman liberals, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Over the last few weeks, I've made decent progress on my quest to catch up on 20 years of television that I've missed. I burned through all three seasons of Bojack Horseman and loved every minute of it. Hilarious and gut-punching show. Just finished the first season of The Sopranos and it was a blast - I totally get the hype the show had behind it when it first came out. And I burned through season one of Wynonna Earp to have something light to watch on the side and it was fun, dumb and surprisingly good.

Now to continue on with The Sopranos and pick a new side-show. Not sure what that's going to be yet, but I'm going to try to stick with a heavy-hitter show and some lighter fare on the side. Maybe the new Wet Hot American Summer season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New WHAS is rad but I really hope this is it for that universe (at least in filmed format because they're making a fuckin graphic novel for some reason)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I made it 5 minutes into episode 2 Wynonna Earp (after extreme pilot induced skepticism) when I saw that this sleepy small Canadian town also has a thriving Discotheque scene and I was like nah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

I made it 5 minutes into episode 2 Wynonna Earp (after extreme pilot induced skepticism) when I saw that this sleepy small Canadian town also has a thriving Discotheque scene and I was like nah.

That's... not entirely inaccurate.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Escobarbarian posted:

New WHAS is rad but I really hope this is it for that universe (at least in filmed format because they're making a fuckin graphic novel for some reason)

What about the pen-and-paper RPG Kickstarter, did that succeed?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I did not care for the WHAS movie, I do not understand the appeal

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

zenintrude posted:

Japanese dramas that focus on slice-of-life experiences of students/young people in realistic ways. Ones that I've enjoyed are Orange Days and Strawberry on the Shortcake, so I'm looking for more like that. Shows like GTO and Stand Up are OK, but begin to teeter into cartoon territory a bit much for me.

e: trying out Summer Snow, but other suggestions are welcome!

Maybe Dragonzakura?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I understand the appeal, I just think I kind of phased out of it. Like I was a big State fan once upon a time so I definitely think there was a time I would have loved WHAS. But I re-watched it recently to see if my first impression from years ago was wrong and while I enjoyed it enough to watch through it really didn't leave me wanting for any more.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I liked the original movie but I don't really care enough about the characters to keep revisiting them like this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

zoux posted:

I mean, I look back at 2009 and wonder how there was such a thriving French house scene in my small Iowa town of 8000.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, I look back at 2009 and wonder how there was such a thriving French house scene in my small Iowa town of 8000.

Well sure if it was the electro heydays of 2009 I could see it but it is 2017 after all.

Seriously though, it was the combo of the trite dialog ("This is your first solo mission so be serious") and "fight in an electro club" is such a dull, hackneyed lovely-TV scene, especially for something that's supposed to hearken back to the Wild West. Like I said I was basically like "That pilot was atrocious, but pilots aren't always indicative of the rest of the series so maybe once they are freed from writing extreeeemly leaden and inorganic expository dialog it'll settle down" so I wasn't giving the show a lot of leash.

I also watched 3 episodes of Van Helsing and that poo poo sucked too!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Escobarbarian posted:

I keep trying and trying and trying but I just don't loving get WHAS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Iron Crowned posted:

I love it, but can definitely see why it's not for everyone. That's the way comedy tends to be at least, I can't stand any of the Broken Lizard movies personally but others absolutely love them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I feel like in this age of "Everyone MUST play Dark Souls and watch Twin Peaks", we've lost sight of the idea that niche media is a thing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like in this age of "Everyone MUST play Dark Souls and watch Twin Peaks", we've lost sight of the idea that niche media is a thing.

Souls games are bad and I don't care for Lynch. Come at me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

These companies are all loving nuts. No one is gonna sign up for all this poo poo.

quote:

Disney is shaking up the streaming sector today with news that the Mouse House will launch a streaming service of its own in 2019.

Disney confirms it will end its theatrical distribution deal with Netflix beginning in 2019 to feed its releases to the new Disney-branded streaming service. The company will also launch an ESPN streaming service early next year.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Did people somehow not expect the rise of the streaming service to lead to this exact thing

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, Disney's streaming platform will have Star Wars and Marvel. If anyone has a chance it's them.

But I still chuckle every time I think about CBS All Access.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As I said in another thread Disney already has a really successful and large streaming service in Europe. And it has a ton of content on it, a lot that you can't get/buy through other means like DVD or iTunes. Plus it's more than just movies and TV shows, it also soundtracks, DVD extras, even some books. I imagine if the same service comes here it will be a big hit, probably not with the type of person that posts here in TV IV, but it'll have pretty receptive audience outside of curmudgeony nerds.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 8, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Having DisneyXD Kids or whatever it's called now on there is going to make it a must purchase for every family with kids under 13.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

People will end up using it because it's loving Disney and I don't think it will be the straw that breaks the camel's back with regards to too many streaming services, but god I desperately hope it does

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My hurdles for streaming services are as follows.

1) Quality must be good with multichannel audio preferred

2) Commercial free must be an option

If those two hurdles are cleared and there's significant content I may want to watch on a service, I'll subscribe for at least awhile.

CBS All-access does not clear hurdle #1 and even if it did it would fail the follow-up test (amount of content.)

Disney might be worth looking at, but I also already own most of the content I would want to watch on physical disc, so maybe not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know having Disney was also kind of a bragging point for a little bit, but it's not like Netflix is making many other big moves to snap up existing content anymore. They've been slowly and surely focusing more on just being an original content distributor for a while. They'll grab something for a while that might give them a boost but their focus is primarily on original stuff now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd pay 5 bucks a month to have access to the entire Disney vault

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It better have the Jake Paul #content

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The proliferation of streaming services feels like the a la carte cable service people wanted for years, finally realized.

Surprise!

(SeeSo branded gif used intentionally)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I bet Disney will still move things back and forth from the vault, they're not the type to just let people see the entire back catalog at once.

WWE still somehow sets the bar for these things. The insane back catalog, new productions, and live pay per views for a 9.99 service is excellent value. The only thing you don't get are the main TV shows due to their rights being separate, and worth too much money to break.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

That's what the European service has, plus a lot more. And it's £4.99 a month.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I bet Disney will still move things back and forth from the vault, they're not the type to just let people see the entire back catalog at once.

Again if they use the European model it's all there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If in say 10 years everyone has their own service, and the price point is between $5-7 bucks, you'd still be able to get a ton of channels before you start getting near what a cable package costs. Ala carte cable packages have been the most pro-consumer reform you could make to the cable TV system and now we're kind of going to get it, just not through the cable cos.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

X-O posted:

I know having Disney was also kind of a bragging point for a little bit, but it's not like Netflix is making many other big moves to snap up existing content anymore. They've been slowly and surely focusing more on just being an original content distributor for a while. They'll grab something for a while that might give them a boost but their focus is primarily on original stuff now.

Yeah it's kinda bugging me that Netflix is either losing the clout, the money, or the willingness to get content from providers.....and it's probably mostly the latter. Like Food Network pulled out pretty much all their poo poo near the beginning of this year. I wasn't done watching Cutthroat Kitchen, you assholes! :argh:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

On DisneyLife, the Eurorpean service, you can watch everything from Snow White to Tron to Fun and Fancy Free to Turner and Hooch to Saludos Amigos to Remeber the Titans to Little Mermaid to Black Cauldron. It's all there. Even the direct to video sequels to the classics like Bambi II or any of the Aladdin sequels are there if you want to watch them for some crazy reason.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's genuinely surprising, and five quid is really cheap. Someone's gonna get fired! ;)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Souls games are bad and I don't care for Lynch. Come at me.

Lynch would probably be a good choice to direct a Dark Souls movie...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Watching early Malcolm in the Middle and Malcolm gets a horrific head injury that requires stitches and they freak the gently caress out that it cost $400 and lmao

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

X-O posted:

On DisneyLife, the Eurorpean service, you can watch everything from Snow White to Tron to Fun and Fancy Free to Turner and Hooch to Saludos Amigos to Remeber the Titans to Little Mermaid to Black Cauldron. It's all there. Even the direct to video sequels to the classics like Bambi II or any of the Aladdin sequels are there if you want to watch them for some crazy reason.

poo poo I'd subscribe to this

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

X-O posted:

Song of the South?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Regy Rusty posted:

poo poo I'd subscribe to this

I've been itching to get it since I first read about it.

JethroMcB posted:

Song of the South?

Never heard of it. Doesn't seem to be a thing that has ever existed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I have trouble believing this considering how poo poo her basic cable talk shows were.

EL BROMANCE posted:

He's been on Alex Jones and also praised him separately.

oh no Mike, why :(

Lurdiak posted:

Mike Judge has always been an open conservative, but until recently he was one of the more reasonable ones, hence why he was able to write a show like King of the Hill where Hank's ultraconservative values often conflict with the reality of how people and corporations behave.

That show had its share of ridiculous strawman liberals, though.

All of Judge's stuff has a pretty subversive streak through it, too much so I would think for someone to really consider themselves that conservative.

But an Alex Jones fan, christ. How do you reconcile that one with being the person who made Idiocracy.

Chris James 2 posted:

Did people somehow not expect the rise of the streaming service to lead to this exact thing

This is exactly what I expected years ago when people were all "finally, a la carte video distribution, it's gonna be great!" and people thought I was an rear end in a top hat for saying so, as opposed to the other, more valid reasons I am an rear end in a top hat.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

precision posted:

Lol if you think that Disney isn't going to charge an ultra high premium rate for their content. My guess is $14.99 a month if they release their entire library. $9.99 a month if it's a rotating library. This isn't Europe, this is America where capitalism is king. :(

X-O posted:

Never heard of it. Doesn't seem to be a thing that has ever existed.
Oh it existed much to Disney's chagrin. It's one of those movies that did not date itself well in regards to racism.

• Locked thread