Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Xinder posted:

yeah, same. but i also rarely try to pet unless the dog is already approaching me and seems friendly.

i feel too bad about bothering people by asking if i can pet their dog most of the time.

if it makes you feel better i am more offended when people don't ask and don't want to pet monty because monty is just that awesome.

and i guess scary looking or something? because the kids around my neighborhood are, for the most part, terrified of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

TBeats posted:

if it makes you feel better i am more offended when people don't ask and don't want to pet monty because monty is just that awesome.

and i guess scary looking or something? because the kids around my neighborhood are, for the most part, terrified of him.

Yeah, I know that feeling. I locked myself out of the unit today when taking Malachi out to piss (long story) and the maintenance people were scared of him when I tried to talk to them for help. It especially confused me because he's a pretty friendly looking labrador. I'd be annoyed but more understanding if he was a german shepherd or a pitbull or something.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Jehde posted:

I admittedly usually skip this step and go straight to offering the hand. I really should ask but most times I don't care and just wanna pet that dog ASAP. If the dog doesn't respond favourably to my hand I just won't gently caress around though and let them be. I also assume any working dog is on duty and won't approach them unless I'm specifically told I can. Still not exactly trivial to fight the urge to pet.

Xinder posted:

yeah, same. but i also rarely try to pet unless the dog is already approaching me and seems friendly.

i feel too bad about bothering people by asking if i can pet their dog most of the time.
:agreed:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

TBeats posted:

Yeah from the perspective of a dog owner I can't imagine someone being bothersome for asking to pet a dog. Like not only do you get the chance to let someone know they shouldn't pet the dog for whatever reason if that's the case, it also lets you know that you have a rad dog that people want to pet.

However from the perspective of a goon I can't totally understand not wanting to deal with people and just going straight to the dog.

Xinder posted:

Yeah, I know that feeling. I locked myself out of the unit today when taking Malachi out to piss (long story) and the maintenance people were scared of him when I tried to talk to them for help. It especially confused me because he's a pretty friendly looking labrador. I'd be annoyed but more understanding if he was a german shepherd or a pitbull or something.

Not everyone was fortunate to grow up around dogs. So to them a big dog is just another big animal that has the potential to do harm to them, doesn't matter the breed. Even worse they could come from a bad neighbourhood where people treat dogs more like weapons than companions, like drug dealers and the likes.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Jehde posted:

Not everyone was fortunate to grow up around dogs. So to them a big dog is just another big animal that has the potential to do harm to them, doesn't matter the breed. Even worse they could come from a bad neighbourhood where people treat dogs more like weapons than companions, like drug dealers and the likes.

My haitian neighbor is this way, for whatever reason. She knows Frank is friendly and just wants to say hello, but can't break her fear of him because of his size.

Frank doesn't like kids, from toddlers to teenagers. He'll tolerate one or two, but when kids play here, they play in packs, so he gets anxious as hell around those unpredictable shits. I mostly try to walk him at times when kids aren't around, but you never know at the dog park.

Anybody but a kid, Frank will walk up to with a mile wide smile, tail wagging, just wanting some love and to leave hair on them. Because collies never stop shedding.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Jehde posted:

Yeah from the perspective of a dog owner I can't imagine someone being bothersome for asking to pet a dog. Like not only do you get the chance to let someone know they shouldn't pet the dog for whatever reason if that's the case, it also lets you know that you have a rad dog that people want to pet.

However from the perspective of a goon I can't totally understand not wanting to deal with people and just going straight to the dog.

It's more general social anxiety than any real belief I'm being a bother. I do occasionally overcome it if a dog is extremely pettable looking. I can't resist a samoyed, for instance.

And yeah, I guess that makes sense. I've probably been around dogs too long to realize that his friendliness isn't so obvious to everybody.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Yes, please please please please please please ask beforehand. I've had too many dipshits come charging up to Ada and even on her good days it freaks her right out and she'll go from 0 to get the gently caress away from me at all costs in a second.

Also, if you're offering your hand to be sniffed, do it palms open, if you do it the other way it can be a sign that you're hiding something that's possibly bad for them. And also don't bring your hand down from above them, get either down to their eye level or below where they can see where it comes from.

Speaking of dog artworks, my brothers wife is a printmaker and made us this print of Ada as a christmas present.

Caught Ada reassuring Buddy this morning, in the process of turning to lick herself though

It was a cold and rainy day last week so I made sure they were tucked in nice and warm.

Buddy just looooves shoving his face in to things, I tucked him in so his face was exposed but I don't think that lasted very long

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think asking before petting is a very good rule of thumb that should be taught as the standard, but I feel that I've been around dogs enough that I can ask the dog (using my hand) rather than asking the owner. Basically gently caress you I'm gonna pet your dog (if your dog is cool with it, that is)

I would also never do things like sneak up on a dog. I won't touch a dog unless they know I'm there and they're cool with that.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
We call it Porky Pig style. And yes she needs her nails trimmed.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
If I want to pet a dog that's not near me, I'll ask the owner. But if a dog comes up to me, I'ma pet it. Sorry owner person, the dog has spoken.

We got a new rug and Bogey was testing it out:

Testing was exhaustive and exhausting, so he took a nap and got neck scritches:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Trabant posted:

If I want to pet a dog that's not near me, I'll ask the owner. But if a dog comes up to me, I'ma pet it. Sorry owner person, the dog has spoken.

:yeah:

Also bogey looks extremely pettable. Please deliver pettes on my behalf.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

screaden posted:

Also, if you're offering your hand to be sniffed, do it palms open, if you do it the other way it can be a sign that you're hiding something that's possibly bad for them. And also don't bring your hand down from above them, get either down to their eye level or below where they can see where it comes from.

I've read that you should offer your hand to be sniffed with the palm turned down because dogs do understand that you could violently grab their snout easier with an upturned palm.

I'll only offer my hand out if the dog is already sniffing at me or if I've asked if it's okay to pet the dog. It's only polite! :kimchi:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If Monty runs up to you, by all means pet him without permission. I'm only a little ornery about it when he's on the leash.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i met a dogge today who was very growly at me, A New Person, but somehow managed to be okay with me giving ear scratches 30 seconds later. ok, guy
It's barking for warning (both to you and its owner). Once the owner OK's a person most dogs will become straight friendly.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Please please please ask first, and teach your kids to do the same if you have them. I really don't want to have my best friend put down because your bratty kid just ran up out of nowhere and pulled his ears and got a chomp as a result.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Please please please ask first, and teach your kids to do the same if you have them. I really don't want to have my best friend put down because your bratty kid just ran up out of nowhere and pulled his ears and got a chomp as a result.

When Monty was a puppy I made it a point to play with his feet, ears, tail, and snout a lot. Petting them, tugging on them, and generally just trying to do anything I think a nuisance child would do because one of my biggest fears is exactly what you describe -- and a lot of my generation of relatives are popping out babies these days.

E: basically the same approach I took to him eating food is the approach I took with him overall regarding his tolerance for kids.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 9, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Yeah the trick is to offer *them* the opportunity to say hi, at the speed they're comfortable with. Some dogs will come straight to you and demand pets, some need a minute, and if you let the dog pick you never have to worry about it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Xinder posted:

Also bogey looks extremely pettable. Please deliver pettes on my behalf.

Delivered! He seemed appreciative :-)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Squirrel!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Surprise playtime for Monty

(I like Monty)

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 9, 2017

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

TBeats posted:

When Monty was a puppy I made it a point to play with his feet, ears, tail, and snout a lot. Petting them, tugging on them, and generally just trying to do anything I think a nuisance child would do because one of my biggest fears is exactly what you describe -- and a lot of my generation of relatives are popping out babies these days.

E: basically the same approach I took to him eating food is the approach I took with him overall regarding his tolerance for kids.

We did the same things, with good results, and I trust him, but I still am wary with Tarkus around kids. He has nipped at my stepson a few times, and it's always been because the kid has ignored the rules we've tried to teach him about dogs in general and ours in particular. To be fair, when I say "nipped", it's been warnings; Tarkus' teeth have never touched the kid's skin. I still try to be alert without being anxious around jumpy kids he doesn't know though. Tarkus can definitely pick up on anxiety but if I'm calm he's calm.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 9, 2017

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

this year harvest is beautiful.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Working from home today

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

"Art"

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://youtu.be/d5hXycuDDVU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
"What'll it be, Buddy? The usual?"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Naked Bear posted:

"What'll it be, Buddy? The usual?"

"Having a ruff day?" :D

"Just pour the loving beer."

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

I can't wait to move so I can get me a berner

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I wish I had gotten a picture, but yesterday we had a puppy come in for a harness fitting. He was 4 months old and easily 40 pounds. Some kinda Scooby-Doo mix, adorably clumsy with his clown feet and gangly legs.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

a baby giraffe :3:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I really need to keep my phone handy for that kind of stuff. He'll be back in a few months for his adult harness with really long straps. Pretty sure he's going into some type of service dog job.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

More Mila because I had the camera besides me.

I wish the lighting condition of my house was better, no matter the hour the only way to take photos inside is with flash.

(I have a 50mm lens that can do f/1.8, but the camera has trouble focusing on Mila)

Adnor fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 10, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Those ears!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

evil_bunnY posted:

It's barking for warning (both to you and its owner). Once the owner OK's a person most dogs will become straight friendly.

I can't detail the entire situation due to client confidentiality, unfortunately. I can talk in general, though: I work in human services, so sometimes I come into contact with pet animals in clients' home and work environments. Luckily, despite not ever really having a dog of my own, I have a lot of experience interacting with dogs of many different personalities and behaviors, so I know a lot of the basics for "how to say hi to a dog nonthreateningly".

The dog in question was kinda growly the first time he met me so I crouched down very small (b/c he is small) and held my hand out horizontally a bit, not shoving it in his face rather just giving him the invitation to come sniff if he wanted to. He did and quit growling and started sniffing me and giving some tail wiggles so I gave a couple neck scratches on the underside of his head. That was yesterday. Today I saw him again and he growled for 2 seconds then started wagging tail and jumping up on my leg and licking me. I'm not an expert but I feel like I usually do an ok job with dogs :shobon:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

That's a weird looking mole.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

We noticed that Tim's right eye had been irritated for over a week, so we went to the vet to have him looked at. We're using an ointment, so he's in the Cone Zone for the next few days.

Zips also had to go to the vet. Ear infection.

One week until healthy dogs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Get well soon little puppers :yayclod: