Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Nvm

twoday fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Someone please post animated gifs of dragons melting dudes.

I'm about to run a D&D game and they will help.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

twoday posted:

As a historian somewhat familiar with ancient rock art, I got a chuckle out of the cave scene. The primitive sun symbols and whatever were ok I guess, and based on actual stuff that we have found in ancient sites (though you see they tried really hard to copy the swastika-like sun symbols and added a bunch of lines so it doesn't look like a swastika). Apparently the whitewalkers arrange corpses in these patterns earlier in the show, which is cool.

The other poo poo with the people and children and white walkers is really terrible and don't resemble any actual cave art, or the other cave art seen earlier in the scene (the other poo poo is red and they are white and blue). One explanation is that they just dropped the ball on that scene.

I like the theory that Jon Snow drew them himself, just to trick Daenerys into helping him. Those two panels are so bad and inconsistent with the other symbolic art that it seems it was intentional, and perhaps meant to imply to the audience that Jon drew it. Another clue is that the white walkers (which Jon actually saw himself) are super detailed, whereas the first men and the children of the forest (which he didn't see) are super vague stick figures which he drew vaguely on purpose to avoid including details that would contradict any knowledge of those groups that Daenerys might have which he is unaware of. Whereas, you would imagine that if those people had been drawing themselves, they might put in a bit more effort.

Lol okay dude, sure

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I just watched the battle where Dany is riding the dragon and flying around burning stuff on youtube. It was eye catching and neat to watch, but kind of dumb. A parallel to the show as a whole I guess. The most ridiculous thing to me was that once the dragon did it's first pass over the Lannister lines they didn't just break in terror.

And is there any reason mentioned in the episode for why she didn't just fly straight down the line of soldiers and set them on fire, but instead chose to fly 20 feet to the right and burn the baggage train? I mean, it's food or spoils, either one is valuable to her. It's not like her own army which seemed to be made up of nothing but steppe raider cavalry would have a hard time chasing down any of the wagons that tried to flee.

Jamie's charge was great though. Death or glory! :black101:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Galvanik posted:

I just watched the battle where Dany is riding the dragon and flying around burning stuff on youtube. It was eye catching and neat to watch, but kind of dumb. A parallel to the show as a whole I guess. The most ridiculous thing to me was that once the dragon did it's first pass over the Lannister lines they didn't just break in terror.

And is there any reason mentioned in the episode for why she didn't just fly straight down the line of soldiers and set them on fire, but instead chose to fly 20 feet to the right and burn the baggage train? I mean, it's food or spoils, either one is valuable to her. It's not like her own army which seemed to be made up of nothing but steppe raider cavalry would have a hard time chasing down any of the wagons that tried to flee.

Maybe watch the episode instead of watching 5 minutes of YouTube you goofball.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Galvanik posted:

Wagons blow up gud.

Fire dangerous for stunt men.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They literally lit 20 good men on fire for that scene.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I nitpicked the poo poo out of that part of the scene at first. Upon 2nd watch when she goes back in for her strafing runs the Dothraki are basically engaged with the Lannister line. So rather than torch her own men she torches the back line and the wagons. However, that gives basically no justification for her not making her initial pass parallel to the Lannister line as the Dothraki have them all distracted. But whatever, Dany is dumb.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The reason is: the shot of the dragon flying in with the Dothraki was cool.

But I know tactical realism is more important than Rule of Cool for some people for dragon battles.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

JaySB posted:

I nitpicked the poo poo out of that part of the scene at first. Upon 2nd watch when she goes back in for her strafing runs the Dothraki are basically engaged with the Lannister line. So rather than torch her own men she torches the back line and the wagons. However, that gives basically no justification for her not making her initial pass parallel to the Lannister line as the Dothraki have them all distracted. But whatever, Dany is dumb.

She is only a young girl and knows little of the ways of war.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Maybe watch the episode instead of watching 5 minutes of YouTube you goofball.
But the highlights are the best part and I don't have to suffer through the slow bits!

Also the dodgy streaming sites never seem to have captions and my hearing is bad enough so I get maybe every 4th word if there's music or any other sound in the scene.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I would have flown the dragon straight at them, burned a bunch and then charged into glorious melee atop my deadly mount :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Dany needs a loving harness so she can do loops and barrel rolls.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

She also need a big basket of spears to throw at people while she cruises around. Honestly if you are riding a dragon unharnessed and without a big circular golden shield, I don't know what the gently caress you're thinking.

Also wearing a no nonsense suit of armour since the dragon can just take the load and if you get shot down and it dies you're probably hosed anyway.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

grack posted:

Gendry is going to end up on the Iron Throne after warhammering everyone in the face

Season 8 spoilers: Genndry beats everyone to death with an oar.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gendry is going to have the biggest arms oh my god....

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

It's a two-parter.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Galvanik posted:

And is there any reason mentioned in the episode for why she didn't just fly straight down the line of soldiers and set them on fire, but instead chose to fly 20 feet to the right and burn the baggage train?

probably because within seconds her own soldiers broke through that line and were mixed all up in there

the wagon train didnt have any chance of anybody catching friendly fire

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

JBP posted:

Stupid sexy Gendry..

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Also as it's made evidently clear she doesn't want to just murder everyone, and she needs more Westerosi troops to wage her land war appropriately.

Ffs the previews for the next episode show her telling everyone left alive from the tarly and Lannister side they can join her.

But instead of watching the episode and having half a brain it's probably better to come in here and post about how dumb the show is and how you are better at dragon battles *resumes discussing Stuka dive bombers vs dragons*

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I'm sad there is only one more season left on the show cause I really want a stupid Kraken vs Dragon fight and this show isn't shy on it's budget for stupid fantasy fights.

What are the chances Euron happens to acquire a Kraken inbetween seasons?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

lezard_valeth posted:

I'm sad there is only one more season left on the show cause I really want a stupid Kraken vs Dragon fight and this show isn't shy on it's budget for stupid fantasy fights.

What are the chances Euron happens to acquire a Kraken inbetween seasons?

Aren't CGI on CGI fights a lot less expensive than CGI on real people fights?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Also as it's made evidently clear she doesn't want to just murder everyone, and she needs more Westerosi troops to wage her land war appropriately.

Ffs the previews for the next episode show her telling everyone left alive from the tarly and Lannister side they can join her.

But instead of watching the episode and having half a brain it's probably better to come in here and post about how dumb the show is and how you are better at dragon battles *resumes discussing Stuka dive bombers vs dragons*

Who are you angry at?

I hope Tyrion gets a MiG-29 btw.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Not to mention there's a lot of value in letting the survivors go home and tell all their buddies "holy poo poo dragons are real and we got loving wrecked, maybe we should think about joining sides so we don't get burned alive"

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The show is obviously wants to make Dany look good - it's her advisers who are at fault for the Cersei resurgence and even when she had enough of their failing strategies she does not burn King's Landing down but focuses on a pure military target. The preview is obviously a misdirect, because Tyrion and Varys are not talking about making Dany listen - she listened to them for most of the season - but Tyrion is supposed to make Cersei listen, which is why he is going to travel to King's Landing.

They might go for full parallels with Jon impregnating Dany at about the same moment as Cersei loses her kid. Later on Jon will sacrifice himself in the fight against the Night King, allowing Sansa to keep her title as Lady of Winterfell with Dany taking the Iron Throne and in a post credit scene we will have Sam telling young Eddard Targeryan, prince of Dragonstone, the Song of Ice and Fire about his father.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Away all Goats posted:

Not to mention there's a lot of value in letting the survivors go home and tell all their buddies "holy poo poo dragons are real and we got loving wrecked, maybe we should think about joining sides so we don't get burned alive"

Stop being not dumb please, it has no place in this thread *resumes theorizing about Jon Snow faking cave drawings*

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I, for one, can't wait for reanimated corpse Jon knocks up his barren aunt Dany.

Seriously, though, isn't she still barren on the show? And potentially still barren in the books, too. It's possible she had a miscarriage during her making GBS threads adventure, yeah, because her period came at an irregular time after missing 2 or 3, but who's to say that isn't part of the curse? Like it may well have been possible for her to conceive all this time, but just be fated to never bear a child that will survive full term.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

esperterra posted:

I, for one, can't wait for reanimated corpse Jon knocks up his barren aunt Dany.

Seriously, though, isn't she still barren on the show? And potentially still barren in the books, too. It's possible she had a miscarriage during her making GBS threads adventure, yeah, because her period came at an irregular time after missing 2 or 3, but who's to say that isn't part of the curse? Like it may well have been possible for her to conceive all this time, but just be fated to never bear a child that will survive full term.

spoilers from the leaked outlines: in episode 7 she'll tell Jon she's barren and that her only children are the dragons, he won't care and will still tap his albino aunt.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Yes, in this show where Dragons are flying, shadow babies can be born, Dr Brannhatten knows everything, virgin Jon Snow is skilled in oral sex, and the dead can be reanimated a blood curse that made one of the heroes barren can not be reversed. That's the one constant which can't be changed - ever.

There is also the fact that she would not bring it up if it was not immediately relevant to the plot. So she is barren - now what? Jon is not loving her to get children and given that there are no viable alternatives he could marry to produce offspring, this deficiency in Dany would not stand in the way of the two of them banging, especially since both of them have already shown that they are into recreational banging with people that are not fit to be their official mates for political reasons.

It would make a lot more sense if Dany becomes pregnant, because than you would have tension from the cousincest angle, though given that even Tywin marrying his cousin without much drama, it would be kinda strange.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

wizard on a water slide posted:

I think it'd be a cool ending just because of how many book readers and show watchers alike would poo poo their pants with rage.

Fantasy worlds that are actually colonies of space faring empires that regressed/post-apocalyptic world is such a popular Eighties concept, I doubt anyone would accept it as ending to this super popular series today, even with the Eighties still being all the rage. GRRM wrote one already (Windhaven) back in the day too. Although there were some recent examples of the concept again (Joe Abercrombie's "Shattered Sea" series, arguably Sanderson's whole Cosmere universe, Witcher).

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 9, 2017

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

JBP posted:

Bigger than Dickon's?

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
"yeah i watched bits of the episode on youtube, heres my opinion on why it was bad..."

Something somebody honestly posted ITT.

I dont want to come across as a huge defender of the tits and dragons show as im on board with being a bit bored by some of it recently, but this threads transformation into the bad thread is pretty spectacular.

Its almost like GRRM attracts terrible people to read his books and rather than accept that an hour of TV which starts with Tryion telling the unsullied to sail to casterly rock and then a 15 minute montage of them packing appropriate food stuffs and acceptable clothing for the current westerosi climate. Then the remaining 30 mins of the show is them sitting on various appropriately manned boats playing cavasse until at the end of the episode someone shouts "its been two weeks at sea Land Ahoy!!!!!!" as Casterly Rock looms in the distance, may not be the most entertaining TV for a series that is in the process of wrapping up the multiple dangling threads that it currently has running.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The bad thread is actually pretty chill.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Dickon and Gendry need to pork

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lmao loving Doctor Brannhattan.

and

Zzulu posted:

Dickon and Gendry need to pork

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I love this thread. The posts from people that saw a still from an episode and have an opinion on dragon cave warfare from it are the best.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Please be careful with our collective immersions

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's annoying that all it requires for people to love the episode is any sort of battle scene.

Not as annoying as it is that it does feel as though the ending will be Jon and Dany ruling together. Which surely isn't what GRRM is (isn't) going to write, since the entire idea is how feudalism is poo poo and all the smallfolk are dying over stupid familial arguments.
But all that has been ignored in the show I guess.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GaussianCopula posted:

Yes, in this show where Dragons are flying, shadow babies can be born, Dr Brannhatten knows everything, virgin Jon Snow is skilled in oral sex, and the dead can be reanimated a blood curse that made one of the heroes barren can not be reversed. That's the one constant which can't be changed - ever.

There is also the fact that she would not bring it up if it was not immediately relevant to the plot. So she is barren - now what? Jon is not loving her to get children and given that there are no viable alternatives he could marry to produce offspring, this deficiency in Dany would not stand in the way of the two of them banging, especially since both of them have already shown that they are into recreational banging with people that are not fit to be their official mates for political reasons.

It would make a lot more sense if Dany becomes pregnant, because than you would have tension from the cousincest angle, though given that even Tywin marrying his cousin without much drama, it would be kinda strange.

fwiw Dany being barren is relevant to her character, fighting tooth and nail to reinstate a dynasty she believes will end with her.

Granted the show has dropped everything interesting or relevant to Dany's motivations and personality, like the prophecies she obsesses over, or how tied to the dothraki and their culture she is, so w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
7 seasons and not a single mention of the queen of the rabbits and her floppy ears. Sad.

• Locked thread