Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You'll have to pick through the dregs of the turds left over once Australia and New Zealand have been through them. Seeing TONNES of them in Aus now.

As soon as the first turbo diesel 80 series reach 25 years there's going to be a definite market in selling them to the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

Doing truck stuff

this was before three ratchet straps and a bed net

You are a good truck owner.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

New pics: went adventuring this weekend. Met up with the LCDC group in Breckenridge with ~40 other 200 series owners and we ran 4wd trails for 4 days straight with nary a mechanical breakdown, because Land Cruisers.

Just barely managed to get Icon gear shipped and installed before the trip; ours now has Icon VS 2.5" coilovers up front + 2.5" monotubes and OME 2722s on the back, and I also added a basket on the rear for cans/cooler and a new grille + Toyota badge for ~style~.

Those pics above are at the top of Mosquito Pass last Friday. That was a take-it-easy day and we still managed to horse a couple stock LCs in our group all the way to the top and down the other side. I'm continually amazed at the level of abuse these trucks will take without so much as a new rattle afterward.

Pretty amazing views and scenery everywhere:

I'm usually annoyed at how placid these pics seem after the fact, but that's when I realize I'm not taking pictures with both hands on the wheel, negotiating foot+ tall rocks everywhere. I need to get a better GoPro/whatever setup going.

Bonus car: new to me 1 owner 2500 4wd Quadrasteer Suburban:

Forkstabber
Aug 2, 2017

bird cooch posted:

They aren't hard to find unless it's a car that never saw this market. And even then, getting spares from Japan isn't a big deal at all. I had a friend bring in a whole load of 510 windshields because they aren't available in the us anymore.

I got this thing ready to go slide later. Pulled it down to wrap, do some suspension rehab and new sways and 370z brakes. Might come back down to to new heads and ITBs next month but I'm trying to push that off if I can going to plumb a 150 direct port this weekend if I don't have to swap the cam first.

Oh hey, I used to have that Avery wrap on my last miata:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
bye

hi

'17 M240i w/6MT

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Nice. Although I always get confused with BMW's and what they offer where. So this is a 240i with M sport package, but it has a 6 speed manual which over here is only offered on the M2?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

davebo posted:

Nice. Although I always get confused with BMW's and what they offer where. So this is a 240i with M sport package, but it has a 6 speed manual which over here is only offered on the M2?

Not quite. The M Performance cars are a sub-brand to the full-fat M models (think of it as Audi's S vs RS positioning) – so it's not just an M Sport pack.
In our market (South Africa) you could order an M135i/M140i and M235i/M240i with a 6MT or the 8AT until January this year, when they went auto-only. Mine is a pre-facelift 2er; the last of the manuals.

I didn't order or specify the car myself. Friend runs the dealer, phoned me and asked if I'm interested in a trade-in he just got: this car, with like 600 miles. Has little else in the way of options, but importantly has remote services, Harman Kardon and sunroof (which is a great resale value insurance device).

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Hello Spaceman posted:

Not quite. The M Performance cars are a sub-brand to the full-fat M models (think of it as Audi's S vs RS positioning) – so it's not just an M Sport pack.
In our market (South Africa) you could order an M135i/M140i and M235i/M240i with a 6MT or the 8AT until January this year, when they went auto-only. Mine is a pre-facelift 2er; the last of the manuals.

I didn't order or specify the car myself. Friend runs the dealer, phoned me and asked if I'm interested in a trade-in he just got: this car, with like 600 miles. Has little else in the way of options, but importantly has remote services, Harman Kardon and sunroof (which is a great resale value insurance device).

Serious question because I have no idea: What's it like driving a reasonably expensive car in South Africa? I know in Brasil it's a semi-nightmare to make sure people aren't stealing it left and right. That being said, you got the right color!

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Serious question because I have no idea: What's it like driving a reasonably expensive car in South Africa? I know in Brasil it's a semi-nightmare to make sure people aren't stealing it left and right. That being said, you got the right color!

Haha, thanks. The colour is growing on me, after my initial reservations of it being a quintessentially BMW colour.

This is on the mid-scale of what cars cost here; M3/4s probably outnumber these on the roads, and the only reason M2s aren't as ubiquitous is because of worldwide demand and low unit allocation to our market. However, I get what you're asking.
(I actually got a loving great deal on this – less than I'd pay for a new GTI, Golf R, S3, Civic Type R, Focus RS or other fun car.)

SA can be terrible and fine [relatively speaking], depending on where you are. I'm a bit more alert now, because I have to be – BMWs are sought-after. However this is less likely to be on a shopping list than a GTI or M3. My risk profile is naturally low because I mostly go to malls where there is secure parking and security. There are areas where you can street park and it's mostly okay. Theft is a thing, but real risk is having some guy in a hoodie demanding a 9mm discount on your car, its contents, and sometimes you'll even be driven to an ATM and forced to empty your accounts.

In the area where I live we have armed response units that are on scene in two minutes, but it's not a high crime neighbourhood. Some people live in controlled access neighbourhoods with even more security. Houses have high walls and electric fencing. I've heard foreigners say that we imprison ourselves to keep the criminals out. Maybe I'm so used to it that I've subconsciously adjusted my lifestyle to suit, so it doesn't factor much. But I do notice it when I visit abroad and see real freedom.

But nobody's fully immune. If criminals want something, they'll take it. They have big guns and they don't just use them to intimidate; they're violent and drugged up.. You could be a conceal-carry hero with training but they show up guns blazing and have the element of surprise. The best advice is to comply, give the car and rely on insurance. Certain cars are known targets (not just expensive cars; even some budget models) and insurance companies can insist on satellite tracking devices to help them recover those. I guess I can count myself lucky that I've not been told I need one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus christ :(

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ :(

I was trying not to be negative and just state facts, but while writing all of that it kinda hit me how hosed-up it all is.

Here's a car pic instead.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

:negative:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Here in America the most stolen cars are the common ones, I assume so chop shops can part them out. Accord, Civic, Ford/Chevy trucks, Camry, Altima, Corolla. Escalade used to show up in the top 10 but not anymore it seems. No other luxury models make it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

davebo posted:

Like the other guy said the M140i/M240i models are a sub-brand but M Sport is just a trim level and entirely cosmetic apart from the lower and stiffer suspension.

If you wanted to you could get a 116d M Sport which looks almost identical to an M140i apart from a few visual cues.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hello Spaceman posted:

Haha, thanks. The colour is growing on me, after my initial reservations of it being a quintessentially BMW colour.

This is on the mid-scale of what cars cost here; M3/4s probably outnumber these on the roads, and the only reason M2s aren't as ubiquitous is because of worldwide demand and low unit allocation to our market. However, I get what you're asking.
(I actually got a loving great deal on this – less than I'd pay for a new GTI, Golf R, S3, Civic Type R, Focus RS or other fun car.)

SA can be terrible and fine [relatively speaking], depending on where you are. I'm a bit more alert now, because I have to be – BMWs are sought-after. However this is less likely to be on a shopping list than a GTI or M3. My risk profile is naturally low because I mostly go to malls where there is secure parking and security. There are areas where you can street park and it's mostly okay. Theft is a thing, but real risk is having some guy in a hoodie demanding a 9mm discount on your car, its contents, and sometimes you'll even be driven to an ATM and forced to empty your accounts.

In the area where I live we have armed response units that are on scene in two minutes, but it's not a high crime neighbourhood. Some people live in controlled access neighbourhoods with even more security. Houses have high walls and electric fencing. I've heard foreigners say that we imprison ourselves to keep the criminals out. Maybe I'm so used to it that I've subconsciously adjusted my lifestyle to suit, so it doesn't factor much. But I do notice it when I visit abroad and see real freedom.

But nobody's fully immune. If criminals want something, they'll take it. They have big guns and they don't just use them to intimidate; they're violent and drugged up.. You could be a conceal-carry hero with training but they show up guns blazing and have the element of surprise. The best advice is to comply, give the car and rely on insurance. Certain cars are known targets (not just expensive cars; even some budget models) and insurance companies can insist on satellite tracking devices to help them recover those. I guess I can count myself lucky that I've not been told I need one.

It's depressing that this is a reality for some people.

I read a few years ago that Mexico City is similarly dodgy as people will just run up on you at traffic lights and point a gun at you to steal your ride.

That's the kinda road hazard I'm quite happy isn't a thing here.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hello Spaceman posted:

I was trying not to be negative and just state facts, but while writing all of that it kinda hit me how hosed-up it all is.

Yes it is. If you don't mind me asking, just how much do you spend to insure your vehicle?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
On a semi-related note, Enterprise CarShare (formerly iGo) dropped out of the Chicago market entirely due to theft and vandalism.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes it is. If you don't mind me asking, just how much do you spend to insure your vehicle?

It's in line with the retail and book values of the vehicle. This being a pretty new car, my insurance premium got a healthy hike over the last car. The monthly premium is about the equivalent of $120; so $1440 a year, give or take.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's depressing that this is a reality for some people.

I read a few years ago that Mexico City is similarly dodgy as people will just run up on you at traffic lights and point a gun at you to steal your ride.

That's the kinda road hazard I'm quite happy isn't a thing here.

When I flew to Bogota a few years ago for work, the lady who was meant to pick me up was late because she stopped at a convenience store on the way to pick up some water. On her way out she noticed a guy standing in front of her car, she stayed in the doorway and watched two guys walk away with both wheels from the other side of her car and drive off.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

davebo posted:

Here in America the most stolen cars are the common ones, I assume so chop shops can part them out. Accord, Civic, Ford/Chevy trucks, Camry, Altima, Corolla. Escalade used to show up in the top 10 but not anymore it seems. No other luxury models make it.

Ford/Chevy trucks are usually because they're bog easy to break in to and can be used for easy transport of "stuff".

MY GIRLFRIEND's father had that happen to his Ranger and they found it pretty nearby about a day later.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

6speed manual trd offroad 4x4 Tacoma. About to go get it dirty in an hour so we'll see how much better it looks outside.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
That's my dream truck right there, nice job dude! How do you like it so far?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

not black enough posted:

6speed manual trd offroad 4x4 Tacoma. About to go get it dirty in an hour so we'll see how much better it looks outside.

good username / post combo

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

not black enough posted:

Update: It's a ton of fun off road. I love the truck so far.

Voltage posted:

That's my dream truck right there, nice job dude! How do you like it so far?

It's awesome, Handles well on and off road. I had no problems running around with those jeeps doing simple trail stuff.

not black enough fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 11, 2017

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

My dad's got an extended cab version with an auto that he's put a pickup bed shell on. He picked it partially because it's got a nice slot in the bottom of the dash that you can mount a ham radio in.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

not black enough posted:

Update: It's a ton of fun off road. I love the truck so far.

It's awesome, Handles well on and off road. I had no problems running around with those jeeps doing simple trail stuff.

Sharp looking truck!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

not black enough posted:

Very good. I was a little surprised you can still option out manual transmission Tacomas, I never pay attention to that space.

Guys

I can't stop buying tiny vans

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

davebo posted:

pretty much this except Acura cars are popular to steal as well. probably the most stolen type of vehicle in my area are dirtbikes though...

not only are they easier to joyride under the radar but they're commonly used to ram people in the hood and rob them when they get out to trade insurance info

edit: i meant using the everyday cars to ram, not the bikes

Thief fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 16, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Old bitch cleans up so nice

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Took a real picture with a real camera over the weekend. We had a European car show up in Big Cottonwood canyon, totally beautiful this time of year. I love my V8 racecar.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Ah, Brighton!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Ah, Brighton!

Correct! The car show was at Solitude Mountain Resort just a couple miles below Brighton but you might as well make the loop to the top for a nice photo op! I love Brighton, as a kid I learned to ski there in an after school ski school.

Typing that out and reading it sounds like the whitest thing ever.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

E90 M3s are getting cheap it's super tempting! How has maintenance been?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

flightless greeb posted:

E90 M3s are getting cheap it's super tempting! How has maintenance been?

I haven't had it long enough to really state much on the experience for maintenance but I have a rundown of a few things. I got the car in January with just under 41K miles, I now have just over 43K miles. I had the oil changed at the BMW dealership (for CarFax records/resale value etc) which I was able to get a hookup price on for about $240. Not bad considering the M service is usually around $400. The oil is about $20/quart and it takes TEN quarts. I put new Pilot Sport 4S tires on to replace the somewhat spent Conti tires that were on it. I got those at Costco during a sale for about $1100 for all four. With staggered setup they only get a 15K mile warranty. I had a increased emissions error come up recently and while I had a safety recall (battery cable thing) performed earlier this month I had the dealer diagnose/replace. It was a secondary air pump sensor malfunction. It was about $600.

The E9X is known for having one of the most robust drivetrains that BMW has ever produced. The E46 M3 was very good, but the service interval for the valve adjustment must be strictly followed and is often enough it would annoy me. Plus the double VANOS stuff of the E46 needing work, and the subframe trying to separate themselves from the body of the car that was enough to keep me from looking at an E46. Likely potential problems with the E9X will eventually be the throttle body actuators which seem to affect some cars around 80K miles but can last shorter or longer. The hypothesis is that people who drive in the M Dynamic mode/power button on(changes the throttle sensitivity)/sport shift set to 5 see failure faster. Those can run around a thousand bucks each (two per car). The rod bearing thing seems to have surpassed the hype of the Porsche IMS bearing hype. A rod bearing service can around $2000-2500 and I plan on changing mine out around 80K miles. I will be changing oil about ever 5K miles, about annually for how many miles I anticipate. Fuel consumption is laughable and a tiny fuel tank makes for short range Brakes are super expensive but I think with aftermarket offerings it has come down from what they were at but still very spendy. Typical surface street driving yields a range of around ~220 miles before filling up. I have the "EDC" electronic dampening control suspension and it seems to hold up well. My suspension bushings are in good shape as well largely in part because low miles/accident free and living life in the Bay Area before purchase.

I did pay near the top of the market but got exactly what I wanted: A 2011 (last year of E90), ZCP (Competition package) only available in 2011, premium sound, heated seats, EDC, non black/white/silver paint, DCT. Fastidious service records, low miles, accident free, etc. I have the original window sticker showing original retail of nearly $74K. More basic M3's can originally retail in the mid $50's. You can find E90's under $30K all day and it is a lot of car! You will likely experience a few four figure maintenance things in the first few years of ownership but once ironed out they will be ready for another 10 years of service.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Thanks for the super detailed write-up! I had an '07 E90 335i for a couple years and loved it but the maintenance just slayed me. I think a big part of that was going to an independent shop that had an insane hourly rate - basically any work I ever had done there cost me minimum $1k. I was kinda wondering how the M3 compares to the regular model for E90s and it seems like about what I'd expect. No big issues with the V8 it seems like?

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009
Had this for a couple of weeks now. Loving it!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So fresh and so clean clean

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

flightless greeb posted:

Thanks for the super detailed write-up! I had an '07 E90 335i for a couple years and loved it but the maintenance just slayed me. I think a big part of that was going to an independent shop that had an insane hourly rate - basically any work I ever had done there cost me minimum $1k. I was kinda wondering how the M3 compares to the regular model for E90s and it seems like about what I'd expect. No big issues with the V8 it seems like?

Pretty much what Somewhat Heroic said, I've spent on average about $900 a year in maintenance on mine, that's a little less than 2 a year/4000ish miles between, at around $300 plus whatever other routine work it needs at the time of oil changes and the first year I had mine I had to replace the 7 year old battery which was something like $250 when all said and done. Both of my factory angel eye bulbs have burned out now after 30k miles/8 years (Mine's an '08) which is like $50 for the OEM bulb and 2 hours of your life/$50 in mechanic time to put one in (easier if you have dainty hands, I don't) and I daily drive it unless it looks like rain. My PO bought new PSS's 400 miles before selling it to me so I'm still good on those after owning it for 3 years this January, and I don't anticipate needing to do the brakes until next year (if then) which would be their first service since new. They will be pricey, but nothing really that much more pricey than any good ripoff visit to the dealer for ANY type of car. I'm still 50k away from worrying about the throttle actuators. It had 16,400 miles when I bought it and we're currently at a little over 30k.

I blackstone the oil every time to keep an eye on rod bearings issues (which has been extremely overblown IMHO, yes it's a nuisance to have to worry about but the actual rate of occurrance seems miniscule. People who don't have issues don't make posts.) I have to add about a half a liter of oil in between changes, but that seems to be normal/on the low end for this engine.

I don't even think about the mileage or the cost of gas, doesn't even factor into any thought I ever have about the car other than 'that was a fun way to use $4 in a loud fashion' every 14 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Really appreciate this E9X chat. I've always been curious to learn about what ownership is actually like and what the maintenance costs can be. I absolutely have a 6 speed E90 on my radar in the next few years.

I'm amazed to learn my 2.5L 5 cyl turbo is as fuel inefficient as your V8s.