Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Hackan Slash posted:

Don't think I don't read this thread.

The high score strategy is to build your multiplier quickly (melee killing enemies is the fastest) then headshot/juggle everything.

It runs into the issue most score based games do where the optimal strategy is boring. If tossing your revolvers in the air, pulling out shotguns and blasting people behind you, then catching the revolvers on the way down and shooting a different guy with each one is wrong I don't want to be right.

Uh we aren't even Oculus friends so I can't see your (probably insane) scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rez Infinite is loving insane. Area X is a fuckin' achievement for the medium, I mean... holy hell. Absolutely fantastic.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh wow I thought Rez was gonna be a PSVR exclusive for like, indefinitely. I guess if they want my money so bad it'd be cruel not to give it them...

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Controller or touch for Rez?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bum the Sad posted:

Controller or touch for Rez?

Doesn't really matter, aiming is gaze tracked and there are only 2 buttons.

vvvvvvv Huh, at the time I played it I didn't have Moves so I was never aware it supported them. Well, any excuse to replay Rez is a good one...

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 9, 2017

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

haveblue posted:

When I played it on PSVR last year, I felt that the motion controllers helped to augment the gaze aiming. Like, you can nudge the reticule around by using the motion controller in conjunction with looking around. Helps you from straining your neck too much.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is it motion sickness inducing? I pretty much avoid anything that has movement other than vehicle sims. I'm really curious how Rex would be in that regard since it moves on its own and you're just floating there.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

haveblue posted:

Oh I guess that explains why the Oculus Remote was an option, kind of had that feeling. Anyway bought it! Will play soon.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I found using both gaze tracking and controllers was a nightmare that left the cursor way off center and lead to me holding my controller sideways. Thankfully it has a vive wand / touch only mode that is fantastic.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

eonblue174 posted:

Just got my rift n touch, no Xbox controller and it was in its own special package with no spot for one. ...

I guess that's good on one hand that both platforms are now solidly pushing towards hand based interfaces. In a little way it seems sad this is probably the start of the end of pretty excellent gamepad games like Landfall/House of the Dying sun.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Paingod556 posted:

Had another go at VTOL VR, it's still really good though the lack of features are getting more apparent. Trying to lock up targets is a bit difficult, though the HMD targetting system is cool as hell- a small screen drops over your right eye and displays a zoomable targeting camera that slaves to your helmet. I'm doubly down on my recommendation if it looks interesting, because it is, but it's also super Alpha build with barebones features.

I'll get some video recorded but the GeForce 'Shadowplay' recorder I'm using isn't picking up any audio if I set the Vive headset as the primary. Anyone got any experience with GeForce and recording VR?

How do I switch from VTOL to regular flying? I figured our starting the engine and going up but then I just sort of flounder around before smashing into something.

And has anyone else tried this on Rift? Using the touch controllers the joystick seems to be wonky and I have to twist my hand in weird directions to roll and pitch.

Playing this has made me want a VR version of an old game called Battle Engine Aquila, where you have a VTOL that transforms into a mech. That'd be super cool in VR.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Just ordered a rift. What cables do I need to order from monoprice for roomscale stuff

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Is it motion sickness inducing? I pretty much avoid anything that has movement other than vehicle sims. I'm really curious how Rex would be in that regard since it moves on its own and you're just floating there.
It mostly moves at a constant speed which feels fine, its acceleration that gets you. I get a little simsick if I play Project Cars or whatever all day but I didn't feel anything at all when I was playing Rez nonstop on PSVR.

The best thing you can possibly say about Rez VR imo is that it feels like it was always meant to be a VR game, like it was designed in anticipation of technology that didn't exist at the time and finally it can be experienced as it was meant to be.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are a couple of places where it deviates from constant straight-forward movement (boss intros, the "cutscenes" in area 5, a couple of places with sideways movement or camera flourishes) but there's also an option for a less dynamic camera in prefs somewhere. I'd give it maybe a 2 out of 10 on the will this make you barf-o-meter and it shouldn't be a problem for anyone with significant VR experience.

homeless snail posted:

The best thing you can possibly say about Rez VR imo is that it feels like it was always meant to be a VR game, like it was designed in anticipation of technology that didn't exist at the time and finally it can be experienced as it was meant to be.

Yeah, it's really amazing considering that VR was somewhere between a sci-fi pipe dream and a joke at the time it was made. All the stuff that looks merely cool on a 2D screen becomes overwhelming when it has depth and scale and can swoop all around you and loom in the distance.

And Area X was designed with VR in mind and it's really something else, holy crap.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Ammanas posted:

Just ordered a rift. What cables do I need to order from monoprice for roomscale stuff

The standalone Oculus Sensor includes a monoprice active usb 2.0 extension. I needed to buy 3 monoprice active usb 3.0 extensions (two of them are daisy changed for my furthest sensor) and the $20 hdmi/usb extender from Best Buy to finish my room scale setup. Oculus recommends 2x USB3 and 1x USB2 for a 3 sensor setup but it seems like there isn’t a ton of difference in sensor performance between USB3 and USB2. All of the monoprice active cables seem good, just get out a tape measure and figure out how many you need.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

alphabettitouretti posted:

How do I switch from VTOL to regular flying? I figured our starting the engine and going up but then I just sort of flounder around before smashing into something.

And has anyone else tried this on Rift? Using the touch controllers the joystick seems to be wonky and I have to twist my hand in weird directions to roll and pitch.

Playing this has made me want a VR version of an old game called Battle Engine Aquila, where you have a VTOL that transforms into a mech. That'd be super cool in VR.

Press up/down on the left thumpad/stick to adjust the angle of your engines, set them to 0 for regular flight

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

homeless snail posted:

It mostly moves at a constant speed which feels fine, its acceleration that gets you. I get a little simsick if I play Project Cars or whatever all day but I didn't feel anything at all when I was playing Rez nonstop on PSVR.

That's great. I play Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, and Elite Dangerous for hours at a time nearly every day and don't feel weird. In fact the only game that ever made me feel weird (other than everything on that first day) was Mission ISS because the motion was all weird, but I wouldn't say it made me feel sick exactly, just really unsteady.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Parker Lewis posted:

Fingers crossed for Resident Evil 7 VR on PC.

RE7 VR for PC is already confirmed, Sony just bought 1 year of exclusivity. So we're not getting it till 2018 at the earliest, but you WILL be getting it.

spacetoaster posted:

You don't want it. I really cannot play that game longer than a few minutes at a time before having to take off the headset and calm down.

IGNORE THIS MAN. RE7 is one of the best VR games there is right now. I played through the whole game in VR in sessions of 1-2 hours at a time. The only problem is that its loving terrifying.

Spacetoaster did you try even playing with the VR / control settings? Kinda makes a big difference!

GutBomb posted:

Rez is 3rd person, 3rd person VR games are basically as comfortable as can be. Most of them aren't very VR but Rez kinda feels like an exception. You're just floating though yeah so its very comfortable, basically a space sim.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Zaphod42 posted:

The only problem is that its loving terrifying.

That is the problem he was describing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GlyphGryph posted:

That is the problem he was describing.

My bad, I assumed he was talking about VR motion sickness issues. It definitely can make you a little queasy but I find if you use the recommended settings instead of normal controls it helps a ton.

In that case just play during the day time and or when you have friends over.

Making your friends play RE7 is some of the most fun I've ever had.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm really not trying to sound dismissive of the game, but what has ever been the big deal about rez? Every time I've see it for years, it looks like a bland game and more of a visualizer for music. Do you have to enjoy that style of music or something? I just don't seem to have ever understood the draw.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Parker Lewis posted:

The standalone Oculus Sensor includes a monoprice active usb 2.0 extension. I needed to buy 3 monoprice active usb 3.0 extensions (two of them are daisy changed for my furthest sensor) and the $20 hdmi/usb extender from Best Buy to finish my room scale setup. Oculus recommends 2x USB3 and 1x USB2 for a 3 sensor setup but it seems like there isn’t a ton of difference in sensor performance between USB3 and USB2. All of the monoprice active cables seem good, just get out a tape measure and figure out how many you need.

You actually got two Monoprice Active 3.0 extensions to daisy chain to a camera? I absolutely could not get any of my cameras to pass validation with a daisy chain, they would fail in the Rift setup where it spins and gives them a checkmark.

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm really not trying to sound dismissive of the game, but what has ever been the big deal about rez? Every time I've see it for years, it looks like a bland game and more of a visualizer for music. Do you have to enjoy that style of music or something? I just don't seem to have ever understood the draw.

It is an experience; it was one of the first games to beatmatch action gameplay (your target and attacks are time-delayed to line up to the beats) and still does it better than most, the vector graphic visuals are great and will run at a bajillion FPS on any graphics card, and it is a fun rail shooter. It was a lot of the Panzer Dragoon team at the top of their game. The music, gameplay, and visuals are so well connected to each other and so well directed that the experience is much more than the sum of its parts.

One time I played through Rez while I was babysitting my friends who were all on acid... they said it was great.

Also the Dreamcast version had an optional high-powered vibrating accessory, some lady wrote an article on how awesome the game was for repeatedly bringing her to orgasm :nws: : http://www.gamegirladvance.com/2002/10/sex-in-games-rezvibrator.html

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 9, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tom Guycot posted:

It's a synaesthetic sensory overloard where the visual and audio components are linked and feed off each other. The sound effects of enemies and shooting and so on are close enough to the sounds used to compose the music that the two bleed into each other until you're part of the rhythm (although it isn't a rhythm game). It's also a great example of the Tron/Gibson "neon galaxy" digital art style. It's a bit of a cult game but it's short, cheap, and easy to get into.

You could watch a complete playthrough in an hour or so, but that's a far cry from making it all happen yourself and an even further cry from being in the midst of it in VR.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Its an excellent shooter for one, but the foundation of the game is synesthesia. Everything in the game is one gestalt experience, the visuals pulse and oscillate to the beat of the music that vibrates your controller(s, if you want to have a bunch of controllers sitting on your lap and in your pockets it'll vibrate them all to enhance the effect) that all of your and enemy shots are quantized to, graphics and sound and vibration and mechanics all blend together. VR takes it to the next level and its like you're inside a cyberpunk drug trip.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Its basically trippy Star Fox with a good beat.

Do you enjoy Star Fox?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So it does sound like its the kind of thing where if you don't enjoy that style of music you probably won't get a lot out of it then just by the gameplay itself? I'm really not trying to sound so negative, I'm just trying to understand and quantify the love I've seen for it for years and years and if its worth picking up.

EDIT: Thanks for all the explanations, glad they're bringing such diverse stuff to VR but sounds like its not up my alley.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

More like Panzer Dragoon tbh, since you only have aiming control and can't dodge

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

homeless snail posted:

More like Panzer Dragoon tbh, since you only have aiming control and can't dodge

Yeah true but not everybody's played Panzer Dragoon

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

So it does sound like its the kind of thing where if you don't enjoy that style of music you probably won't get a lot out of it then just by the gameplay itself? I'm really not trying to sound so negative, I'm just trying to understand and quantify the love I've seen for it for years and years and if its worth picking up.

EDIT: Thanks for all the explanations, glad they're bringing such diverse stuff to VR but sounds like its not up my alley.
Yeah probably not, its a gestalt and if you don't like any one part of it its probably worse for it. I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone that's deaf or doesn't have enough sensation in their hands to feel the vibration for similar reasons

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Reading these in the context of this thread, striking how similar endorsements for rez are to endorsements for VR in general.

"I know it doesn't look like much, but once you're in it it's really sort of indescribably good."

(I've bought rez twice before and I'll buy it for Oculus, but yeah if the music doesn't do anything for you I don't think you'll get much out of the game.)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
How does rez deal with the vibration? I haven't played it since dreamcast and I vaguely remember the controller's rumble pak being tied to the beat..unless I made that up.

Does that port over when using an xbox or touch controller on infinite?

Jazzed this made the leap to PC..really hoping double fine lets that psychonauts prequel jump sides too...

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

cheesetriangles posted:

I found using both gaze tracking and controllers was a nightmare that left the cursor way off center and lead to me holding my controller sideways. Thankfully it has a vive wand / touch only mode that is fantastic.

I was wondering why the cursor was so wonky when I tried the first area. Gotta remember to fix that.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
If you haven't gotten Rez yet, they're doing giveaways on Reddit. Deadline to enter is 7pm PDT. Here's the Oculus one: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6so87q/giveaway_rez_infinite_is_launched_today_on_oculus/

Tom Guycot posted:

Having just tried it for the first time... it's the closest I've experienced to an acid trip whilst sober. It's loving amazing.
I really want to try it whilst high but am slightly scared what it would do to my brain.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 10, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/Bb9eQoxtqb4

This is neat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I really want a VR Superman game where I just fly around saving people around the city.

Not quite the same, but close enough.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Yessss coming to steam!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

That does look pretty sick

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Tom Guycot posted:

I decided to try out pavlov and I gotta say I'm really disappointed at how buggy and inconsistent the controls are. The game itself seems fun enough, but man I can't get the controls to act the same way twice and its really frustrating. Sometimes you let go of a gun and it falls, or gets thrown as it should, but then other times it sticks to you for no reason and you have to squeeze the grip again to drop it. The same goes for putting it back on your chest. Sometimes it works, sometimes it sticks there. Sometimes the trigger will just stay held down and the gun keeps firing. In the heat of a fight this becomes really aggravating when I want to grab my pistol quick and this time my rifle is stuck to my hand for example. I can't find any way to reliably reproduce any of this behavior it just seems to happen when it wants to happen.

Has anyone else had experience with this? I really want to like the game but... man.

Yeah it's pretty lame how inaccessible all the multiplayer FPS games are for vr and it's weird that no big developers have just flooded steam with lovely Pavlov/Onward clones to drive competition. In your particular case it's mostly the Pavlov dev not having a rift and making controls for it as an afterthought. The trigger getting stuck held down is in fact a bug but that gets 'unstuck' really easy. The main issue for everything else is that the design thinking for the controls is for vive wands-- whose grip buttons are made for clicking, not holding down like the ones on oculus touch. So on rift you spawn in with the gun autoattached to your hand, which is confusing, and then if you drop it or sling it and pick it back up, then you have to grip it the whole time, which is confusing and dumb as hell and what we're stuck with. Then he has stuff in the menu like "legacy grip" with absolutely no explanation of what that is.

I play this stupid game like every day. Dark ages of vr

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Any recommendations for games at a party to show off the Rift? I'm thinking robo recall, rez, and I'm not sure what else. I haven't explored the free games too much yet. I have a moderate (according to the rift set up) sized roomscale area if that impacts suggestions. I hear good things in this thread about soundboxing but I'm not sure if that would be redundant with the release of rez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mellowjournalism posted:

Yeah it's pretty lame how inaccessible all the multiplayer FPS games are for vr and it's weird that no big developers have just flooded steam with lovely Pavlov/Onward clones to drive competition. In your particular case it's mostly the Pavlov dev not having a rift and making controls for it as an afterthought. The trigger getting stuck held down is in fact a bug but that gets 'unstuck' really easy. The main issue for everything else is that the design thinking for the controls is for vive wands-- whose grip buttons are made for clicking, not holding down like the ones on oculus touch. So on rift you spawn in with the gun autoattached to your hand, which is confusing, and then if you drop it or sling it and pick it back up, then you have to grip it the whole time, which is confusing and dumb as hell and what we're stuck with. Then he has stuff in the menu like "legacy grip" with absolutely no explanation of what that is.

I play this stupid game like every day. Dark ages of vr

Thanks for this explanation! That makes some sense and gives me an idea what to do to avoid it. I really wish VR games would start to let you bind your keys like a traditional game. I don't know why almost no single VR game does this, the only ones I can think of that do are also non VR games. Let me bind dropping the magazine to one of the unused buttons, let me adjust the gripping and so on. Every VR game feels like a step back in that regard.

EDIT:

Parallelwoody posted:

Any recommendations for games at a party to show off the Rift? I'm thinking robo recall, rez, and I'm not sure what else. I haven't explored the free games too much yet. I have a moderate (according to the rift set up) sized roomscale area if that impacts suggestions. I hear good things in this thread about soundboxing but I'm not sure if that would be redundant with the release of rez.

Superhot, specifically the endless modes are a blast, and people look like right idiots doing it, which always helps. Keep talking and no one explodes is a fun group game where one person in the headset has to defuse a bomb, based on instructions given by everyone outside of VR. I think some echo arena (free) will also give people a taste of something different and neat in VR. The lab (free) has some good minigames, and even just some of the photogrammetry scenes in steamVR home would probably be neat for people to look at. Some of the short vr films like lost (free) might be entertaining, and they don't take very long, plus they require no skill if the person trying is isn't really a gamer. If there are some real space nerds around, mission ISS (free) would probably be pretty cool to show them. In a simmilar vein, if they're artistic they would probably get a huge kick out of medium (free), quill (free), or tiltbrush. The bedroom horror scenes in 'face your fears' (free) might be a quick fun thing to scare people if they get spooked easily. Google earth VR (free) is a really neat experience to show folks. Trials on tatooine (free) is a very short and well done little star wars experience thats worth checking out if you have the space. If you have a wired rock band guitar sitting in a closet, and the plastic attachment that came with the touch controllers (don't know if its still included in the new package...) Rockband VR is a fantastic experience that lends itself really well to casual play.

Theres a place to start at least, and a lot of those are free.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 10, 2017