Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I mean, I've got other stuff feeding into the setup spec, but I don't think it'd be a good idea to blare it all out immediately before I've seen anything else.

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm certain of who I want to lunch most. I have certainly not failed to look at and case and consider other people. But among all those people who I also feel unsure about, I feel more sure about Hats, and I feel sure that Hats would be the most potentially valuable to flip. It would be far more foolish imo to vote someone other than Hats.

I feel nearly certain that Hats revealing that he has "other stuff feeding into the setup spec" is the reason that Bif wants Hats dead at all costs, and I really can't think of a pro-town reason for that to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Also hahaha holy poo poo I'm up way past my bedtime so g'nite for now all~

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

A - I'm Vengeance-Aligned. I don't have any way to kill anyone. The fact that you didn't just answer that straight-up answer that doesn't look that great to me.

what

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

hey Birb, MT's going to sleep so I'll ask you instead - are you a cop?

If you don't answer my straightforward question I'm gonna find it very suss

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Yea, Bif did at least answer that, if in a weird fashion. On top of all the protomen lyrics. Bif has stated several times she's vengeance. It could still be a lie, mind, but it has been answered.

Unless you don't like that she didn't answer that question directly in it's own post because there isn't a lie detector because that's never a thing but you hope anyway.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm not birb, but I will confirm that all of the letters in the word cop appear somewhere in my role PM. Sometimes even in the same sentence.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

No I'm a lawyer

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mithross posted:

Yea, Bif did at least answer that, if in a weird fashion. On top of all the protomen lyrics. Bif has stated several times she's vengeance. It could still be a lie, mind, but it has been answered.

Unless you don't like that she didn't answer that question directly in it's own post because there isn't a lie detector because that's never a thing but you hope anyway.

yeah I really got into my PM I love my backstory

I think she might have switched the order of the questions though and is actually wanting me to answer if I have an NK power? And maybe she thinks that's somehow relevant to whether town could flip a scum in the n0 plot event??

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

I noticed that later and thought that might have been what you meant, but it does still seem like a stretch to me, especially since you mentioned other scum factions:

like my first reaction was "if vengeance is a whole alignment and everyone has their own separate reason to want to kill off this drat family, well no wonder Ecco's multi-dead"

----

Do you understand the difference between the specific question I'm asking you and the nonsense hypothetical you're using to avoid addressing the point I'm making?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Is the sisterhood strong enough that this unresolvable quarrel is just a distraction from Hays' evil plan to prank my phone and never give me a job

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

No I'm a lawyer

I'm just a guy who looks out for his friends

but there was one I couldn't save

I don't care what it costs me, I will make them suffer the way I had to suffer

I will have my vengeance

Murmur Twin posted:

Do you understand the difference between the specific question I'm asking you and the nonsense hypothetical you're using to avoid addressing the point I'm making?

what's the point though, n0 is a plot event, not a mechanics thing. I just saw Ecco was killed many times over, and thought it made sense cause if every Vengeance-aligned person has a story half as fun as mine, we should ALL want her dead. It made plot sense to me.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

yeah I really got into my PM I love my backstory

I think she might have switched the order of the questions though and is actually wanting me to answer if I have an NK power? And maybe she thinks that's somehow relevant to whether town could flip a scum in the n0 plot event??

Jesus Christ. I quoted the exact post I was replying to and I don't know how much clearer I can make the point.

I'm accusing your case on Hats of being based on a false premise that it was suspicious of him to think someone other than Vengeance did the kill when, in fact, it was a pretty fairly reasonable conclusion to come to. And I'm saying that you're scum who is purposely trying to drive the lynch on Hats because he accidentally let slip that he has flavor knowledge.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

MMT is just reading real scummy to me :\

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Birdstrike posted:

Is the sisterhood strong enough that this unresolvable quarrel is just a distraction from Hays' evil plan to prank my phone and never give me a job

I mean don't get me wrong I still think Bif is the poo poo :glomp:

I just also think she rolled scum this game.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm just a guy who looks out for his friends

but there was one I couldn't save

I don't care what it costs me, I will make them suffer the way I had to suffer

I will have my vengeance

I defended someone on a stalking charge but later figured out they shouldn't have won or something and now I hate my client even though I think they paid me?

idk I don't think Podima knows many lawyers

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Without wanting to get very deep into my PM, I will say that I also had a very good reason to want ecco dead.

Like, possibly justifiable homicide, certainly minimum sentence/plea deal and probation.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

Jesus Christ. I quoted the exact post I was replying to and I don't know how much clearer I can make the point.

I'm accusing your case on Hats of being based on a false premise that it was suspicious of him to think someone other than Vengeance did the kill when, in fact, it was a pretty fairly reasonable conclusion to come to. And I'm saying that you're scum who is purposely trying to drive the lynch on Hats because he accidentally let slip that he has flavor knowledge.

no see, I think everyone from Vengeance was in on the kill. I thought it was weird that Hats was talking about either different scum factions or SK's or just ONE "especially" murderous townie (why'd he specify "especially" if he missed the "many times over"?) when we should ALL want Ecco dead.

And then he doubled down trying to explain how well, he just thought that maybe everyone had these different motivations, you know, but nobody really necessarily wanted to act on them, and...

it's just bizarre, it sounds so much like he was just trying to overjustify his reasoning after he got caught out. And it sure doesn't sound like he knows what Vengeance means.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

what's the point though, n0 is a plot event, not a mechanics thing. I just saw Ecco was killed many times over, and thought it made sense cause if every Vengeance-aligned person has a story half as fun as mine, we should ALL want her dead. It made plot sense to me.

OK fine but you're the one who wants to lynch someone over it

Bifauxnen posted:

Actually you know what

##vote Hats

I really wanna find out if his spec was legit or not, if it was coming from an overly-informed scum place or not

Can you explain to me in your own words why you're so sure that Hats is the right lynch today?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

also can I just say I hate how this discussion keeps conflating story kills with actual killing roles?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Bif why did you want to know if I was a cop?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Once I realized that Vengeance was town and not 3P, my first assumption was that flavor wise, this is a reverse game, where town is the "scum" operating outside the law. As such, when we vote someone, we're participating in group killing them because we thing they're part of the family.

We all happen to know the face of what's his face, so we got him n0 before anyone was onto us. My assumption isn't that there should be a killing role to make the n0 kill, but that we were all in on it.

I can understand confusion around that point, since the n0 kill is usually a town role whose murder lets the town know that something is going on, flavor wise. But in a game where the uninformed majority are the people actually committing murders outside the law, the "scum" flip makes sense.

I don't think the kill flavor argument is going to do anything but go in circles until we get nk flavor tomorrow.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

OK fine but you're the one who wants to lynch someone over it

Can you explain to me in your own words why you're so sure that Hats is the right lynch today?

that's... Mafia...

because out of all the people I find most scummy, currently in this order:

Hats
tpink
LMac
you
pera
Birb

Hats is at the top. There has also been much interaction and discussion over the Hats case, so a Hats flip would give us lots of potential connections to look at. And his flip may give us some more insights to think about regarding the setup and his opinions on them, admittedly I don't know what yet

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

Bif why did you want to know if I was a cop?

omg what is with you this game

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mithross posted:

Once I realized that Vengeance was town and not 3P, my first assumption was that flavor wise, this is a reverse game, where town is the "scum" operating outside the law. As such, when we vote someone, we're participating in group killing them because we thing they're part of the family.

We all happen to know the face of what's his face, so we got him n0 before anyone was onto us. My assumption isn't that there should be a killing role to make the n0 kill, but that we were all in on it.

I can understand confusion around that point, since the n0 kill is usually a town role whose murder lets the town know that something is going on, flavor wise. But in a game where the uninformed majority are the people actually committing murders outside the law, the "scum" flip makes sense.

yeah, it's like JoJo 3 where the town was evil servants of DIO hunting the heroic Joestar scum

(PS, Hats was in JoJo 3)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

omg what is with you this game

seems kinda rolefishy

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

seems kinda rolefishy

MT asked me if I had a killing role. I didn't answer this and called it suss because it was rolefishing. She directly asked me, about my role. Thus rolefishing.

I then proceeded to joke with my bud Birb who I believe to be an expert on jokes, asking him about his role, except an even more sensitive one that is classicly best to not ask about, and followed it up with an immediate threat that if he did not answer my question about him being a cop that I would find his reluctance very scummy indeed!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

no see, I think everyone from Vengeance was in on the kill. I thought it was weird that Hats was talking about either different scum factions or SK's or just ONE "especially" murderous townie (why'd he specify "especially" if he missed the "many times over"?) when we should ALL want Ecco dead.

(a) Every Shine game has had an SK or multiple scum factions
(b) Hats made that post at the very start of the game and it's crazy that this many people are not only casing him for it, but insisting that he be the vote
(c) Bif has even said that her priority isn't so much to hunt scum as it is to "get information from Hat's flip"

I really really need to go to bed so I'm just going to ask people to read over Bif and ask themselves if her conviction for voting Hats comes from a town perspective.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

MT asked me if I had a killing role. I didn't answer this and called it suss because it was rolefishing. She directly asked me, about my role. Thus rolefishing.

I wasn't asking because I thought you would tell me if you had a killing role. Obviously.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

I then proceeded to joke with my bud Birb who I believe to be an expert on jokes, asking him about his role, except an even more sensitive one that is classicly best to not ask about, and followed it up with an immediate threat that if he did not answer my question about him being a cop that I would find his reluctance very scummy indeed!

I'm vadina-ing it up

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

(c) Bif has even said that her priority isn't so much to hunt scum

what

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen posted:

because out of all the people I find most scummy, currently in this order:

Hats
MT
tpink
LMac
pera
Birb

Hats is at the top.

I have amended this list to raise MT up higher as appropriate.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

Remember that game where Mags asked me to say "I am scum" and when I awkwardly answered it with (no I'm not) he correctly pegged that I was being scummily self-conscious?

Was he rolefishing?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

Remember that game where Mags asked me to say "I am scum" and when I awkwardly answered it with (no I'm not) he correctly pegged that I was being scummily self-conscious?

Was he rolefishing?

no? Because he wasn't asking anyone about roles? And even if he was actually asking for real about alignments and that wasn't ridiculous except as a self-consciousness exercise, that's kind of the goal of playing Mafia??

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Murmur Twin posted:

Was he rolefishing?

yes

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Murmur Twin posted:

You're trying to paint the picture that Hats had an agenda when he made those posts. What's so hard to believe about the fact that it was early on D1 and, as town, he was just sharing what he was thinking without some grand strategy in play?

I've already felt pretty strongly that the case on Hats sounds like scum trying to push a narrative that doesn't make sense but Probst's post is the worst offender so far. I find it so hard to believe that the bolded part (a) is genuinely what he thinks Hats was doing and (b) is a play that scum would make.

im not trying to paint a picture, you asked me if mafia would want to lay low. i said they would, but i also explained that mafia also liked to paint pictures of doubt. we're talking about scum as a whole in this specific dialog, not hats. what you're doing here is picture painting come on dude. is hats 100% definitely scum? I don't know and i never said hats was, but hats is where i feel strongest in that direction out of everyone up to this current point.

Murmur Twin posted:

OK so first of all, you've been scum before. (link).

Second of all, the language you're using here looks like someone who is lying. :airquote: A blanket read on a behavior that wouldn't be really verifiable to people who weren't part of the game but would help assuage him as trying and giving earnest reads :airquote:?

And third, as mentioned, I don't buy that in a game with this much content, that your strongest scum read could be based on thinking that scum Hats had some sort of master plan to fool town by speculating on the N0 kill.

##vote gif probst

I also think pera and tpink (and probably asii but I haven't reread her yet?) are scum and would vote for any of them. I'm admittedly cooling on Quid :ohdear:

you're putting a lot of words into my mouth here? considering how many games we've played together in the past you know i was joking with my last sentence there, don't be a corncob. what hats did early on aroused my suspicion, nothing hats has done has really done anything to quell my suspicion. im not "painting a picture" like you've been saying (but you're doin a lot of canvaswork yourself). there are a lot of posters here. there are a lot of lurkers here. theres a lot of people that are hard to read through a lot of dialogue, especially when every time i check the thread there are 3-5 new pages of content to trudge through. im workin with what i got on the people ive tried to read so far.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Murmur Twin posted:

Was he rolefishing?

asking someone if they had a killing role is 100% role fishing why are you answering this question with an unrelated question

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

even if I'm wrong about Hats, we'll learn that his spec was genuine, and that is a good thing to know

---

it doesn't mean his speculation was true, but it means we could take it more seriously. Also, I believe the opportunity cost of "mislunching a townie D1" is very small for the potential gains in the case of Hats being scum.

---

We'd see when we get there. I'm just really extra curious about seeing if he's scum though.

---

I'm certain of who I want to lunch most. I have certainly not failed to look at and case and consider other people. But among all those people who I also feel unsure about, I feel more sure about Hats, and I feel sure that Hats would be the most potentially valuable to flip. It would be far more foolish imo to vote someone other than Hats.

---

oh, TMM - one other thing I really wanna find out from lunching Hats is whether or not the people who just don't get me on this case need to be looked at with extra scrutiny for potentially backing up a scumbro.

---

Hats is at the top. There has also been much interaction and discussion over the Hats case, so a Hats flip would give us lots of potential connections to look at. And his flip may give us some more insights to think about regarding the setup and his opinions on them, admittedly I don't know what yet

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

gif Probst posted:

asking someone if they had a killing role is 100% role fishing why are you answering this question with an unrelated question

Can you explain to me in your own words why I asked her that?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

what is binch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MT do you believe I have not scumhunted sufficiently in this game

• Locked thread