Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

I feel like you might have been better served discussing those cases instead of summarizing my first few posts in the game without making an alignment call, but you do you.

Why wouldn't you vote tpink?

this is a good question

it's so weird, at the start I thought Birb was townie as gently caress (that is literally what I put in the spreadsheet) the way he was apparently casing immediately, but he sees both me and 8bux as scummy despite us going for the same kind of flavor-detective angle he was, and he gets mad about me conflating my Hats case with his Jeabus case even though mine was fuckin better, and then he doesn't wanna vote for bloody anybody who has actual good reasons to vote for them, like tpink

the only thing I can think of lately that I do agree with him on is thinking pera might be scum just following along with who I'm voting, but I wouldn't mind waiting a bit longer with her to see what she's got after D1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Birdstrike posted:

SACRIFICE #2: MMT

LOL this post is literally you "analyzing" my first four posts in the game and then summarizing everything I said post-jokephase as

quote:

MMT then gets some other opinions on people who aren't Quid, some of which I agree with, some of which I don't (ie I wouldn't vote tpink)

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Brain needs a recharge, I'm going to bed. I'll run down the list tomorrow, give opinions. G'night all

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Murmur Twin posted:

LOL this post is literally you "analyzing" my first four posts in the game and then summarizing everything I said post-jokephase as

yeah ScumderdomeTM kind of fizzled out there

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Murmur Twin posted:

Why would scum (whose goal is to go undetected and blend into town) do that, though? Like to what end?

Also all that happened at the start of the game, is Hats n0 speculation still the scummiest thing you've seen so far?
scum's goal is to go undetected and blend in yes. scum also does not want town to have a clear picture of what is going on. what hats did was speculative but in such a way as to put the scenario of doubt on the n0 flip from the get go. as town, what gains are there to even open a discussion like this? i don't see any, if you do please feel free to explain it to me.

i find max's buddying of hats from early on to be suspicious, im not sure where i sit on quid. i dont like him but i havent had anything jump out at me that says "im scum", not in the way that hats actions early on did. i've played with him but ive never focused on him to form a meta opinion, in fact outside of asiina (whose scumtell is dropping replacing on day 2) i dont really have a meta opinion of anyone because of how infrequently i play.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Bifauxnen posted:

But when I posted "too late buddy", writing off the possibility that LMac's claimed confusion meant anything, (which in fact was the attitude LMac claims we wants us to have!) He went off sounding angry imo, about how he didn't care it was too late, and how we shouldn't be considering people cleared. And then he got mad about being called mad.

You know how scum get mad when you correctly call then scum but for bad reasons? His reactions sounded like he was scum all mad about townies calling each other cleared town for bad reasons. I'll ask again, why was he assuming our "feeling better about you" posts meant we were writing each other of as totally cleared?

Not quite off work yet but I said this would be the first thing I looked at when I could. These are the posts I could find of LM's that seem relevant to what your point was here:

Little Mac posted:

Like lol if you think any of you are confirmed town or some bullshit. I'm not jumping on some dumb train. I will say, however, being "Vengeance-aligned" should have (TOWN) right next to it.

Little Mac posted:

I think the fact that you're believing each other to be cleared could very easily bite us in the rear end late in the game. You're reading anger when there is none. I just think your "strategy" is pretty loving dumb. I'm vanilla so killing me won't hurt the town much, though.

Little Mac posted:

It felt to me like you were confirming a small group of people publicly on something specious. It still does. It's dumb. I don't really care if you vote me though.

...and, y'know, I get what you're saying. He does sound irritated about being called out as irritated. This is D1. Nobody should or can be cleared about anything this early. Claims vanilla to little pressure. And then with the last post he writes it off with "you're wrong but vote me, whatever." I don't like the tone and don't like the conclusion.

This is good enough until I get home and catch up on the last 100 posts you guys made since I was here before.

##vote Little Mac

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

this is a good question

it's so weird, at the start I thought Birb was townie as gently caress (that is literally what I put in the spreadsheet) the way he was apparently casing immediately, but he sees both me and 8bux as scummy despite us going for the same kind of flavor-detective angle he was, and he gets mad about me conflating my Hats case with his Jeabus case even though mine was fuckin better, and then he doesn't wanna vote for bloody anybody who has actual good reasons to vote for them, like tpink

the only thing I can think of lately that I do agree with him on is thinking pera might be scum just following along with who I'm voting, but I wouldn't mind waiting a bit longer with her to see what she's got after D1.

You're not having a good run of it today:
  • There was a clear difference for me between Jeabus and Hats. Jeabus posted about his alignment in black and white which I thought could be a scumslip. Hats posted some hand-wavey spec bullshit whichdidnt ping me.
  • I didn't case you or 8bux for that. I think your case on LMac was weak. I vote 8bux because he's asking people questions and not actually contributing.
  • MMT's case on tpink is that he used the word anxiety. It's a garbage case and I am concerned for my son's mental wellbeing.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Put the scenario of doubt on the N0 flip? I mean, if you were accusing me of fake content, sure, I get where you'd be coming from, but what kind of doubt am I even sowing? I'm taking a detail and saying "Hey, there could be more that we can read into this". I don't see what established knowledge I'm undermining there.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Bif it's like you're skimming my posts without understanding them. p suss

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Hunies, help me out here

Is Max's detached posting style a scumtell or a 3P tell based on that setup?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

[*]I didn't case you or 8bux for that. I think your case on LMac was weak. I vote 8bux because he's asking people questions and not actually contributing.

but didn't you notice 8bux started suddenly asking people what they thought about Hats and Jeabus after he noted our cases and liked them, saying flavor was important? At the time I got a super townie vibe off 8bux from that, like he twigged onto what we were doing and wanted to try and help get people's opinions about it on the record before we overexplained everything too much. I might be biased cause I like to play Grand Mafia Inquisitor whenever I get the chance, but to me it felt like a really natural progression in his strategy.

Birdstrike posted:

Hunies, help me out here

Is Max's detached posting style a scumtell or a 3P tell based on that setup?

uhhhh

man I don't know literally no one in that game was town so it's hard to really judge people's styles

Birdstrike posted:

Bif it's like you're skimming my posts without understanding them. p suss

oh no

are you projecting scum Birb :(

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

but to me it felt like a really natural progression in his strategy.

oh no

are you projecting scum Birb :(

are you protecting your scum Bif :chord:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

are you protecting your scum Bif :chord:

are you answering my question with another question

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

are you answering my question with another question

I find that 8bux had no strategy, ergo your question was void :smugdon:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Birdstrike posted:

OOC: my character is a lawyer

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

oh well, you know I won't vote you till crunch time at least :(

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

oh well, you know I won't vote you till crunch time at least :(

Don't worry, I'll be nk'd before then! :v:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Yo I just decided my character definitely has a moustache.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames

Sandwolf posted:

Yo I just decided my character definitely has a moustache.

:moustache:

TMM popped in, basically dropped a few self-conscious meta reads on himself, and peaced out without actually laying down anything. That feels real bad to me. Mith feels a bit better to me, since they've been commenting on some stuff as it went on.

Hats is still pinging me because he's obviously following, but he's still focusing on his N0 stuff and thread filler. His gif probst read sounds like an overclarified OMGUS.

Lil Mac and Hal should post more too :goleft:.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I would vote TMM

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Eight Dollars posted:

Hats is still pinging me because he's obviously following, but he's still focusing on his N0 stuff and thread filler.

on top of that, the n0 stuff continues to be very bad. (bolding below is mine)

The Lord of Hats posted:

Because for as much as I talked about the n0 kill, and about flavor in general, I managed to skip over the flavor text for the actual kill because I was so taken aback by the kill being on Scum. Because of that, I thought the scenario was more "there's a bunch of people who all hate the Chauvin de la Frenieres on the train, who don't exactly have it in them to commit outright murder, but there's also someone out there whose grudge goes further, and a bloodbath ensues as the townies start feeling opportunistic" than "the townies all got together and merked a dude without an inciting event to get things rolling".

Just ask yourselves people, if just from glancing at the n0 flip you would put that much thought into that much of a weird scenario instead of just going: "yay, vengeance for town, since I am a town, and vengeance aligned, this makes sense for the plot!"

like I said before, I really want to find out if Hats was just spitballing, or if his thoughts about other factions come from a position of scum knowledge.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

@podima

You must be very proud of yourself having tied d1 in knots with the n0 flip, something I am not sure has ever occurred

---

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hats can you provide any reads or thoughts on the game that doesn't relate to n0 flip

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

IllegallySober posted:

Not quite off work yet but I said this would be the first thing I looked at when I could. These are the posts I could find of LM's that seem relevant to what your point was here:

...and, y'know, I get what you're saying. He does sound irritated about being called out as irritated. This is D1. Nobody should or can be cleared about anything this early. Claims vanilla to little pressure. And then with the last post he writes it off with "you're wrong but vote me, whatever." I don't like the tone and don't like the conclusion.

This is good enough until I get home and catch up on the last 100 posts you guys made since I was here before.

##vote Little Mac

this post is pinging me

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

any particular reason you're not voting Hats yet, Foo?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Alright, it's time to dig in, but first I want a little snapshot of time in my post history.

:beerpal: Votecount for Day 1 :beerpal:

The Lord of Hats (3): gif Probst, Bifauxnen, Quidthulhu, Bifauxnen, Quidthulhu, Bifauxnen, peramene
TMMadman (2): The Ninth Layer, Max
Jeabus Mahogany (2): Birdstrike, Max, Asiina, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Max, Mayor Glowku, Birdstrike
gif Probst (2): Quidthulhu, Quidthulhu, King Burgundy, The Lord of Hats
Eight Dollars (1): Birdstrike
Little Mac (1): Bifauxnen, Max, Quidthulhu, peramene, Quidthulhu, Bifauxnen, Max, peramene, IllegallySober
Mayor Glowku (1): Captain Foo
Quidthulhu (1): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Sandwolf
tpink (1): Mithross, Mithross, Murmur Twin
Murmur Twin (1): TMMadman, Quidthulhu, TMMadman
Birdstrike (0): Jeabus Mahogany, Jeabus Mahogany
IllegallySober (0): Max, Max
Mithross (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen
peramene (0): Max, Max, gif Probst, gif Probst, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Birdstrike, Birdstrike
The Ninth Layer (0): TMMadman, TMMadman
Somberbrero (0): Mayor Glowku, Mayor Glowku
Hal Incandenza (0): The Ninth Layer, TMMadman, TMMadman, The Ninth Layer, Quidthulhu, Quidthulhu
Max (0): Sandwolf, Sandwolf
Bifauxnen (0): TMMadman, Mayor Glowku, TMMadman, Mayor Glowku, Sandwolf, Sandwolf, Jeabus Mahogany, Jeabus Mahogany
Asiina (0): Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin, Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin

Not Voting (8): Eight Dollars, Hal Incandenza, Jeabus Mahogany, Little Mac, Mithross, Somberbrero, TMMadman, tpink :rubshands:

With 23 people still alive, it takes 12 votes to lynch.
The current deadline is August 10th, 2017 at 8 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 19 hours, 7 minutes.

The Sunset Limited is chugging along at a steady clip. Today's lynch method is Simple Majority!

These days, nobody talks about what folks have dubbed "The Weird Times" in New Orleans last year. The Shine-soaked city was rocked by what - on the surface, at least - appeared to be a simple gang war. But those in the know agree there was something much darker going on behind that... Death walked the streets (literally, according to some stories), and left many good men and women dead in its wake.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

on top of that, the n0 stuff continues to be very bad. (bolding below is mine)

Just ask yourselves people, if just from glancing at the n0 flip you would put that much thought into that much of a weird scenario instead of just going: "yay, vengeance for town, since I am a town, and vengeance aligned, this makes sense for the plot!"

like I said before, I really want to find out if Hats was just spitballing, or if his thoughts about other factions come from a position of scum knowledge.

It doesn't seem to me like you want to find out. It seems to me like you're specifically trying to convince other people to vote for Hats.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I mean, I've got other stuff feeding into the setup spec, but I don't think it'd be a good idea to blare it all out immediately before I've seen anything else.

He pretty much admitted that he knows something, but given that Pod recommended we don't claim he didn't share it and I'm personally fine with that.

gif Probst posted:

scum's goal is to go undetected and blend in yes. scum also does not want town to have a clear picture of what is going on. what hats did was speculative but in such a way as to put the scenario of doubt on the n0 flip from the get go. as town, what gains are there to even open a discussion like this? i don't see any, if you do please feel free to explain it to me.

You're trying to paint the picture that Hats had an agenda when he made those posts. What's so hard to believe about the fact that it was early on D1 and, as town, he was just sharing what he was thinking without some grand strategy in play?

I've already felt pretty strongly that the case on Hats sounds like scum trying to push a narrative that doesn't make sense but Probst's post is the worst offender so far. I find it so hard to believe that the bolded part (a) is genuinely what he thinks Hats was doing and (b) is a play that scum would make.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

It doesn't seem to me like you want to find out. It seems to me like you're specifically trying to convince other people to vote for Hats.

....yes. I very much want people to vote for Hats.

idgi

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

but hey if you think I'm trying to keep it concealed or something how much I hope to persuade people to vote Hats I'm sure I could write up 10 more posts about him

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Birdstrike posted:

thunder dome is where you can only vote for one of 2 people, I thought if we got rid of one of Quid and MMT it would be good but there are probably better votes

having said that I am open to throwing other people into the ScumderdomeTM

i would love to be scrutinized and also to beat up quid but i understand if you want maximum pre-fizz and am happy to wait my turn

I doubt it does anything whatsoever for the game but when birb and bif start flailing at one another I just get so delighted, you two are the best

goodnight everybody

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

gif Probst posted:

after rereading with context instead of just clickin that question mark, i dont think burgundy is scum. I saw some things that could be construed as buddying, little things here and there, but i think that is just how he is as a poster and it didnt come off as filler on a reread. my initial suspicion toward him was because of his usage of prior game meta, to me it came off as him trying to put a blanket read on a behavior that wouldn't be really verifiable to people who werent part of the game but would help assauge him as trying and giving earnest reads. to me this came off as deceptive, but reading into things more, i understand why hes giving these reads when some players do fall into certain patterns, unlike me, who is always town and has never been scum before.

OK so first of all, you've been scum before. (link).

Second of all, the language you're using here looks like someone who is lying. :airquote: A blanket read on a behavior that wouldn't be really verifiable to people who weren't part of the game but would help assuage him as trying and giving earnest reads :airquote:?

quote:

And third, as mentioned, I don't buy that in a game with this much content, that your strongest scum read could be based on thinking that scum Hats had some sort of master plan to fool town by speculating on the N0 kill.

##vote gif probst

I also think pera and tpink (and probably asii but I haven't reread her yet?) are scum and would vote for any of them. I'm admittedly cooling on Quid :ohdear:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
##vote MMT

'Dome is back on!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

And third, as mentioned, I don't buy that in a game with this much content, that your strongest scum read could be based on thinking that scum Hats had some sort of master plan to fool town by speculating on the N0 kill.

now who's pushing a narrative? You're framing Hats up as needing to be like THIS to possibly be scum.

Speculating on other factions or SK's is a great way for scum to try and look genuine in their investigations. Hats needs no such master plan. He just needed to be spitballing from a scum perspective and post it cause that felt easier and more believable than trying to whip up some fake case on a townie.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

##vote MMT

'Dome is back on!

let me guess, even though you think she's scum you find nothing suss at all in how much she's backing up Hats

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I got this idea that Hats was flailing and that MMT needs to rescue her bro

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

but hey if you think I'm trying to keep it concealed or something how much I hope to persuade people to vote Hats I'm sure I could write up 10 more posts about him

It's not that I think you're trying to conceal it, it's I think that town Bif would be paranoid that she was making the wrong call on Hats and would be doing everything she could to second-guess herself and make sure she was right before taking the lead.

Instead you're projecting this aura of confidence that you're sure you know his alignment. It looks to me like you're scum who thinks she's found an easy case to push.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

now who's pushing a narrative? You're framing Hats up as needing to be like THIS to possibly be scum.

Speculating on other factions or SK's is a great way for scum to try and look genuine in their investigations. Hats needs no such master plan. He just needed to be spitballing from a scum perspective and post it cause that felt easier and more believable than trying to whip up some fake case on a townie.

What's your opinion of Probst, particularly regarding the points I just raised about him?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

It's not that I think you're trying to conceal it, it's I think that town Bif would be paranoid that she was making the wrong call on Hats and would be doing everything she could to second-guess herself and make sure she was right before taking the lead.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't know

I might have some mysterious reason to be trying to second-guess myself less often these days

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

I got this idea that Hats was flailing and that MMT needs to rescue her bro

so does this mean... you might think Hats is scum?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

What's your opinion of Probst, particularly regarding the points I just raised about him?

I was annoyed with him earlier when he suggested wanting to vote KB for no reason I could fathom, hell even if KB was actively looking scummy I'd like to give him at least a day

that post you quoted with him pulling it back made me think he might just be walking it back cause he got bad reactions

but I like that he's voting Hats and I don't like that you're defending Hats, so it evens out and I got him squarely in the purple "who the gently caress knows/wait for more info" category

• Locked thread