Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've drank probably a hundred gallons of vodka in my life. I don't really recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I'm sorry but playing a thing for 3k hours and then saying "this sucks" will always seem crazy to me. "could be good but is ruined with every patch" how long did it take this wretch to wait to quit, if he even quit, because I'm willing to bet that guy is still loving playing this

please tell me if this guy still plays the game
idk I'm not that good of a stalker sorry, he hasn't played it in the last two weeks at least. Isn't it a fair criticism though if he put a lot of time into a game he probably enjoyed and then felt like the developer moved away from what he had liked about the game? Kinda goes with the territory with service games imo. Also if their MMO is hosed up to the point that they're letting people dupe poo poo and not doing anything about it, like a lot of the other negative reviews indicate, yeah I'd feel like I wasted my time too.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Snak posted:

I've drank probably a hundred gallons of vodka in my life. I don't really recommend it.

Oh college :allears:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Everyone knows it takes 10,000 hours to master a video game

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Actually working at McDonald's, mostly.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

precision posted:

I mean, people don't review books or movies until they actually finish them. I think there are two kinds of "review" we're talking about here. "I got bored after 2 hours, not recommended" isn't a review of a game, it's a review of a 2 hour span of time.

You're allowed to watch the first twenty minutes of a movie and decide that it's not worth your time to finish it, and then tell your friends about your experience. If you're a professional reviewer it's different but we're not professional reviewers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

unless I'm seeing a band in a tiny bar alcohol is just really boring to me now. my wife and i don't like, sit around and drink. it's just not a great buzz compared to weed or whatever

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They let you watch the first 5 minutes before they make you pay for the movie on pay per view, and let me tell you, based on what I've seen The Emoji Movie is SICK

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

You're allowed to watch the first twenty minutes of a movie and decide that it's not worth your time to finish it, and then tell your friends about your experience. If you're a professional reviewer it's different but we're not professional reviewers.

isn't that exactly what i said? it's what i meant to say. that's what i meant by "two different definitions of review".

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

precision posted:

I mean, people don't review books or movies until they actually finish them. I think there are two kinds of "review" we're talking about here. "I got bored after 2 hours, not recommended" isn't a review of a game, it's a review of a 2 hour span of time.

I only read the first couple chapters of Wizard's First Rule years ago and here's my review of it: it was a very, very bad book, one of only two I can remember not finishing, and this was before I found out about all of Goodkind's other crap. The idea that you have to finish something to give it. a review only really applies to professional critics.

E;fb

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

LawfulWaffle posted:

tfw you wish you had more people to play games with and then someone wants to play a game with you but you really just want to play something single player.

<Change Status To Offline>
I'm a terrible friend :smith:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mordja posted:

I only read the first couple chapters of Wizard's First Rule years ago and here's my review of it: it was a very, very bad book, one of only two I can remember not finishing, and this was before I found out about all of Goodkind's other crap. The idea that you have to finish something to give it. a review only really applies to professional critics.

E;fb
Yeah but if I'm about to grab it off the shelf at the bookstore and you're like "no dude I read the first chapter its bad" and there's another guy that pushes his glasses up his nose and is like "actually I gave the book an honest shot and read it cover to cover 4 times in a row, and its bad for this reason", his opinion is more valuable

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

precision posted:

Well to the first point, books and movies generally take, at most, 2-3 hours to finish in their entirety. I think it actually is unreasonable to say that someone's criticism of a game is invalid or less valid if they didn't finish it because depending on the game you're looking at anywhere between 20-80 hours unless it's a game where you can simply ignore huge chunks of content to beeline straight to the end, and that's not necessarily going to give you a good picture of what the game's like either.

As for the second point, a review of an X hour chunk of a game can be a useful review of a game but it depends entirely on the content of the review in question and unsurprisngly a lot of Steam reviews are vapid garbage the way most reviews of anything by random internet users are.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Both are equally valid, as long as the reviewer is honest about their experience. A review that says "I played this for 2 hours an didn't like it and here's why" is totally of value to someone who isn't interested in that experience. Is it an objective review of the complete package? No, of course not. But not every cares if a game gets good 14 hours in or whatever.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 10, 2017

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Well to the first point, books and movies generally take, at most, 2-3 hours to finish in their entirety. I think it actually is unreasonable to say that someone's criticism of a game is invalid or less valid if they didn't finish it because depending on the game you're looking at anywhere between 20-80 hours unless it's a game where you can simply ignore huge chunks of content to beeline straight to the end, and that's not necessarily going to give you a good picture of what the game's like either.

As for the second point, a review of an X hour chunk of a game can be a useful review of a game but it depends entirely on the content of the review in question and unsurprisngly a lot of Steam reviews are vapid garbage the way most reviews of anything by random internet users are.

What books are you reading that you can finish them in 2 hours?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Yeah but if I'm about to grab it off the shelf at the bookstore and you're like "no dude I read the first chapter its bad" and there's another guy that pushes his glasses up his nose and is like "actually I gave the book an honest shot and read it cover to cover 4 times in a row, and its bad for this reason", his opinion is more valuable

I wouldn't trust the second dude because he's bad at time management

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

vermin posted:

<Change Status To Offline>
I'm a terrible friend :smith:

it's not a perfect solution because offline status on steam is literally disconnected from steam and that fucks up some things from working sometimes

i wish they'd add an invisible mode but with how simple that is versus how long steam's been around i doubt they ever will

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
frankly I wouldn't trust anyone who's read Wizard's First Rule, and certainly not anyone who read the sequels

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Snak posted:

Both are equally valid, as long as the reviewer is honest about their experience. A review that says "I played this for 2 hours an didn't like it and here's why" is totally of value to someone who isn't interested in that experience. Is it an objective review of the complete package? No, of course not. But not every cares if a game gets good 14 hours in or whatever.

Yeah, the classic "The first 15 hours of the game are kind of a drag but then it gets better once you're out of that first part!" thing is a perfect example of why a review of an uncompleted game can be perfectly valid and useful to the prospective buyer (provided, as you said, it's honest and explains things).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, well you missed the part where I turned to the second guy and told him to "suck my drat balls, nerd."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

unless I'm seeing a band in a tiny bar alcohol is just really boring to me now. my wife and i don't like, sit around and drink. it's just not a great buzz compared to weed or whatever

I'm just generally unhappy with reality, and alcohol is like a magnifier for other forms of escapism.

And now I'm in a situation where I have to face the reality I probably spent too much time drinking and loving around my whole life to have any marketable life skills are be able to stop being a bum. But really, really shouldn't drink any more, so I flip back over to the sober addictions.

I've lost track of how many jobs I've applied for (not actually, I have a whole folder with notes and copies of the version of my resume I applied to each one with etc), but I don't even care any more.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, the classic "The first 15 hours of the game are kind of a drag but then it gets better once you're out of that first part!" thing is a perfect example of why a review of an uncompleted game can be perfectly valid and useful to the prospective buyer (provided, as you said, it's honest and explains things).

The first time I saw this criticism it was pointed at FFXIII. It was then that I realized that we will never have Square Enix back in the right

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Not a Children posted:

The first time I saw this criticism it was pointed at FFXIII. It was then that I realized that we will never have Square Enix back in the right

The one I really remember is people saying this about Kingdom Hearts 2 which has some ridiculously long "tutorial/prologue" section.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

What books are you reading that you can finish them in 2 hours?

I mean fair cop, I've never really sat down and timed myself, but there was a point where I could go through a couple books a day. That's not a thing I've ever been able to do with video games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

my kindle will tell you like "estimated reading time: 2 and a half hours", I think based on your average reading speed, when you load a book up, and I feel bad if I go over time. freakin gameification of books...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I used a speed-reading program to read a book at 500 words per minute once. it worked surprisingly well. Took me about 3 hours to finish the book, Clockwork Orange style. Then I got an A on the paper about it and I still remember tons of specific details from it. I feel like I probably have 90% of the recall of it I would have if I read it normally.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I got the high score on VALIS though

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
One of my 3-4 readings of Neuromancer, I used that same speed-reading program, just for fun, because I thought it was the most cyber-punk way to read it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

precision posted:

If weed + wife were a Steam game I'd give it a 10/10 even after 1,000s of hours.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Booze sux weed rules

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I would like to move to a part of the country where I could smoke a little weed without the slight risk of ruining my entire life.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

Yeah I would like to move to a part of the country where I could smoke a little weed without the slight risk of ruining my entire life.

Don't worry, soon you won't have to worry about it because Trump is going to make it illegal again! :)

edit: ok he won't do that

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lol Trump will do zero good for anyone but himself and he's a sober fuckwad

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I feel like playing defcon all of a sudden, tho

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wildtortilla posted:

If weed + wife were a Steam game I'd give it a 10/10 even after 1,000s of hours.

Carl Sagan is that you

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

I feel like playing defcon all of a sudden, tho

The ambient soundtrack of DEFCON is amazing.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

There's been some rumblings from big tobacco that they've seen how much money there is to be made off of weed and have started looking into it. They won't put any real effort into it unless it's nation wide, though, and that isn't going to happen under this AG.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I said it in a gbs thread about it so I'll say it here too for consistency's sake: Can't wait to spend the next 10 years hearing habitual weed smokers complaining about how expensive privatized weed is and how it's become exactly like every other legal drug in terms of pricing and economics. God I just can't wait for that. fuckin shoot me

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
People will just pirate weed, like hbo or whatever.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

pretty sure my local government just raised the minimum age to buy cigarettes in the area. lol at them ever approving weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

People will just pirate weed, like hbo or whatever.

But they already do that right now. Are you telling me that in the future I will be able to 3D print a weed

• Locked thread