Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I'm just gonna be honest with everyone in the thread

I never extensively grew up on Genesis-era Sonic games. I've always been a 3D Sonic kid at heart, and most of my exposure to 2D Sonic comes from having a friend's copy of Sonic 3 & Knuckles on PC for awhile, getting the Classic Collection for the DS in my high school years, touching Sonic CD all of once before the American game over music prevented little babby me from playing it ever again, and owning Sonic Advance 2 for a longass period of time

But god drat, Sonic Mania is the most hype I have ever been for a 2D Sonic game. Every single part of this game is overflowing with love and care, and it's making me even happier to know that it's being made by people who loved and grew up on Sonic. Without having seen too much preview footage except for some teasers here and there, I can already tell this is gonna be one of the best 2D Sonic games, if not the best 2D Sonic game ever made. It's gonna be so hard waiting for this game to come out in 5 days, especially now that new footage and content is already starting to leak out. Hell, I'm still pretty hype for Sonic Forces to come out too, but I literally cannot wait to finally be able to play Sonic Mania in just a few more days

im glad i can play sonic games that i look forward to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Chibs posted:

do not slight me, friend, lest you meet the ire of my blade

one spin dash is all I'd need, bud:fut:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh my god the intro

this is what sonic should always have been like

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

netflix should make that sonic show

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

oh my god the intro

this is what sonic should always have been like

I don't want to watch it a million times but I know I'm going to

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I mean sonic boom is all right and it's pretty funny at times but I'm down for them cancelling it and making a tyson heese sanic cartoon instead because that animation is sick brah

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

I don't want to watch it a million times but I know I'm going to

it was uploaded on youtube so its Fair Game

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The story I’m about to tell you, originally told by the Buddha in a sutra, concerns a Zen Master who, while out walking one day, is confronted by a ferocious, man-eating tiger. He slowly backs away from the animal, only to find that he is trapped at the edge of a high cliff; the tiger snarls with hunger, and pursues the Master. His only hope of escape is to suspend himself over the abyss by holding onto a vine that grows at its edge. As the Master dangles from the cliff, two mice – one white and one black – begin to gnaw on the vine he is clutching on. If he climbs back up, the tiger will surely devour him, if he stays then there is the certain death of a long fall onto the jagged rocks. The slender vine begins to give way, and death is imminent. Just then the precariously suspended Zen Master notices Sonic Mania playing on a Switch console along the cliff’s edge. He plucks the succulent joycon and pops it into his hand. He is heard to say: “This lovely Sonic Mania, how sweet it plays.”

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

The story I’m about to tell you, originally told by the Buddha in a sutra, concerns a Zen Master who, while out walking one day, is confronted by a ferocious, man-eating tiger. He slowly backs away from the animal, only to find that he is trapped at the edge of a high cliff; the tiger snarls with hunger, and pursues the Master. His only hope of escape is to suspend himself over the abyss by holding onto a vine that grows at its edge. As the Master dangles from the cliff, two mice – one white and one black – begin to gnaw on the vine he is clutching on. If he climbs back up, the tiger will surely devour him, if he stays then there is the certain death of a long fall onto the jagged rocks. The slender vine begins to give way, and death is imminent. Just then the precariously suspended Zen Master notices Sonic Mania playing on a Switch console along the cliff’s edge. He plucks the succulent joycon and pops it into his hand. He is heard to say: “This lovely Sonic Mania, how sweet it plays.”

Do you believe this guy, he tells a joke when Sonic Mania has been leaked.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Hardboiled Heavy boss of Mirage Saloon is a magician who transforms into a illusionary copies of Nack the Weasel, Bean the Dynamite, and Bark the Polar Bear

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My favorite detail in the opening is Heavy Gunners "who me?" expression when he's first ordered to go after sonic. It's powerful

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Removed at request.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 11, 2017

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Four days. Count them, 1, 2, 3, 4. It's going to feel like four weeks.

, Sonic Maniacs.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Monster, no offense but I put that in spoiler boxes for a reason.

EDIT - More details:

Oil Ocean's mid boss is a reimagining of the lumberjack robot from Mushroom Hill as a plant worker. He hovers over those burner launchers, which shoot you up into spikes.

Using the fire shield can set the oil slides on fire.

Defeating the mid boss sets the entire plant on fire and it fills the stage with heat that makes it hard to see like Sandopolis Zone turning off the lights. Just like Sandopolis there are switches you have to pull to clear the air, but it never completely blacks out the stage.

There are submarines you can enter that are designed on the outside like the ships from wing fortress 2.

The boss of act 2 is the boss from sonic 2 remixed into a giant Octon badnik Eggman is piloting. The attacking claw and gun tendrils are said octon's tentacles.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 11, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TFRazorsaw posted:

Monster, no offense but I put that in spoiler boxes for a reason.

I put it in them too. Still I will respect your wishes. And removed it.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Holy poo poo I played over 9 hours of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed today. My fingers hurt.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

In order to get my sonic fix, I decided to play through all of sonic CD, which is something I have never actually done before. I did play a little of it a long time ago, didn't care too much for it, and hadn't touched it again until now.

Sadly my opinions didn't really change. :smith: S2, S3&K are still the better games. In fact I like S1 more.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
I like CD a lot, but it's not flawless. Just recently I found out you can get stuck in (at least) Stardust Speedway 2 if you time travel to specific parts of the stage.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

A couple things:

1) Saw the intro. Loving the whole thing.
2) Since it was asked earlier, the episode in the stream is Boogie Mania, but I'm open to suggestion for an alternative.
3) One of my favorite fanart trends is people drawing Sonic in his "favorite clothes" that show up in the OVA.
4) Thanks for drawing Antifa Sonic, chibs.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010
This guy is the worst at the Oil Ocean Act 2 boss. I think he's up to a dozen Game Overs on this zone alone.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Someone put the pre-order video and the opening together in the same video.
https://youtu.be/3yxH9-Zzuuw

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Someone tell me, does Mania have all the zones I want?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
maybe, maybe not, but one thing's for sure: it has all your favorite characters. sonic the hedgehog. tails the hedgehog. knuckles the hedgehog. the whole gang

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 11, 2017

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

absolutely anything posted:

maybe, maybe not, but one thing's for sure: it has all your favorite characters. sonic the hedgehog. tails the hedgehog. knuckles the hedgehog. the whole gang

What? Sonic isn't a hedgehog.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

absolutely anything posted:

hosed up

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
hot take re sonic and his lovely friends

they're good

even silver

and especially big

Mikedawson posted:

4) Thanks for drawing Antifa Sonic, chibs.

thank you, seriously

Chibs fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 11, 2017

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I think Infinite may just be Silver doing a Grimoire Weiss impression.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Wait, Tyson Hesse? As in Boxer Hockey Tyson Hesse? As in this Tyson Hesse??

God drat, I'm so happy :allears:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, also check out the Sonic Mega Drive one-off comics. The third is in hell due to the Archie publishing deal not existing anymore (IDK if the third/final issue is going to come out eventually under IDW, no indication either way). Those are by Tyson too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nipples the Enchilada is finally canon.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I really like how Knuckles just flat out asks for the emeralds after all that.

"Yeah so that's my story, you gonna hand em over? Cool."

:allears:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I want to play Sonic Mania and I want to play it right now.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I really like how Knuckles just flat out asks for the emeralds after all that.

"Yeah so that's my story, you gonna hand em over? Cool."

:allears:

Well they're buddies after all, so asking nicely could work. I can't get over the fact how buff Knux is in his own memory :allears:

I need the Mania, it's gonna be AMAZING.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
To clarify, Ian Flynn is the writer for Mega Drive still, but Tyson did draw it all.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

God drat it I am really hype for Sonic Mania you guys.

Holy cow.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/logichole/status/895817249331716096

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Onean posted:

Someone put the pre-order video and the opening together in the same video.
https://youtu.be/3yxH9-Zzuuw

Oh man even the music combines, the little ditty at the end of the trailer is a prelude to the start of the opening.

I love seeing Sonic in a bizarre brightly coloured geometric escher nightmare, it's what feels right.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 11, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You know, when Nintendo fans do anything with their fandom, Nintendo gives them a cease and desist and threatens them with a lawsuit. When Sega fans do this stuff, Sega is like "hey I like that, let's give these people a job." Sega is in fact way cooler than Nintendo.

I feel like my arguments on the playground during recess in elementary school have finally been justified.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
nintendo literally released a mario romhack creation game a couple of years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I can't wait to play Sonic Mania with all my best friends, Sonic, Miles, and & Knuckles