Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blattdorf posted:

They should've put this out on release, but hey, props to them for sticking to their guns.

I mean, let's put a Sony middle-manager directly inside your rear end and see how many times you can delay your indie game :v:

No Man's Sky's release was pathetic, but it's mostly because Sony decided they wanted it to be an E3 flagship for the PS4 and forced Hello Games to operate at a pace that they weren't frankly ready for. Obviously Sean Murray shouldn't have talked up features that wouldn't exist for a year on talk shows and stuff like he did, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was an order from Sony, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Nomanski should be good to buy in another year at this rate, if they ever knock the base price down.

Also, holy gently caress if wc1-3 ever got properly HD rereleases I'd jump on that poo poo instantly, my favorite games ever.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

deadly_pudding posted:

I mean, let's put a Sony middle-manager directly inside your rear end and see how many times you can delay your indie game :v:

No Man's Sky's release was pathetic, but it's mostly because Sony decided they wanted it to be an E3 flagship for the PS4 and forced Hello Games to operate at a pace that they weren't frankly ready for. Obviously Sean Murray shouldn't have talked up features that wouldn't exist for a year on talk shows and stuff like he did, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was an order from Sony, too.

Sony had to know what they were releasing, so the launch disaster is just as much their fault.

If No Man's Sky becomes a great game, I'll definitely check it out because star travelling is totally my jam.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Everything I read about the production of NMS indicates that Sony was super hands off with its development, and Hello Games just had no idea how to scale production with the influx of cash money they got to promote it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Blattdorf posted:

They should've put this out on release, but hey, props to them for sticking to their guns.

Yeah, it's worth mentioning a good number of the new features were things they said it would have at launch, like the portals.

It's good to see them still working on it for the sake of the people who bought into the hype, literally speaking, but I can't imagine it'll ever live up to the promises they made.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

kxZyle posted:

No Man's Sky... good? :aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5328iuzHw-w

I'm not getting my hopes up but it's a pretty convincing trailer, tbh

Having not followed the development of this game at all (so no disappointment that it lacked whatever was apparently promised at release), this looks pretty fun! I am not even a huge fan of spaceship games.

Kragger99 posted:

It's on sale for 60% off on the Humble Store for the next 3 days as well.

$24 doesn't seem like a bad price for some space exploration.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Lone Badger posted:

I feel like playing a shootmans game. Has anything with decent singleplayer come out in the last year or two, or is it all multiplayer these days?

By all accounts Titanfall 2 is really good.
If you haven't played TNO Wolfenstein then play that asap.
Doom'16 is a solid shooter as well. I preferred WolfTNO because of the amazing characters and good story, but Doom probably has better shootmans.

It's not a shootmans per se, but you could still go pretty buck wild in Dishonored 2.

Also, the Borderlands people rereleased one of the best shootmans to exist, Bulletstork, but don't buy the "remastered" one, just torrent the original one, since they've pulled it from sale.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 11, 2017

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ragequit posted:

$24 doesn't seem like a bad price for some space exploration.

Yeah, that's tempting.

Can anyone comment on if it runs any better than it did at release?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

Also, the Borderlands people rereleased one of the best shootmans to exist, Bulletstork, but don't buy the "remastered" one, just torrent the original one, since they've pulled it from sale.

It'll drop in price really quickly; You can pick it up on the PS4 for reduced price. I think I picked up the original for $8 at one point. Bulletstorm is actually a really entertaining shooter that got overshadowed by 'Rage', which is not a recommendation unless you pick it up for pennies. The re-release smacked of attempting to ride the coat-tails of a solid cult status.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

Yeah, that's tempting.

Can anyone comment on if it runs any better than it did at release?

Much better. There was some weird glitch in the initial release that meant that when certain objects came on screen (including some common buildings) you'd get these huge FPS hitches, but that's all fixed now.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
No Man's Sky: Seems like they're trying to improve multiplayer by including location tags and whatnot, but how is the single player experience? Is it still samey planet hopping with no real story or quests with a half baked NPC ecosystem?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Fun Times! posted:

No Man's Sky: Seems like they're trying to improve multiplayer by including location tags and whatnot, but how is the single player experience?

Better. I played through a bunch of the last patch and there's a ton more content now. You can pick a planet and build a home base on it, which functions like a sort of quest chain, where you collect rare resources to get new blueprints, and things. This gives the whole game a bit more direction than just aimlessly wandering the galaxy looking for atlas stuff. The new ground vehicles are fun to use too (if a bit pointless, given that you still have a spaceship). Planet generation seemed to work better, with more variety and interesting aliens and things.

My main issue with it is the Sentinel robots are just boring and never really evolve as the game goes on. So at the start of the game you're fighting the same drones as at the end of the game, with the same capabilities and models and everything, only now you're stronger, so they're just an annoying speed bump rather than a threat. You have all these shield upgrades and cool weapons and things, but the sentinels completely fail as enemies worth fighting against, so it all falls a bit flat. Not sure if the 1.3 patch addresses that at all, though the new dogfighting stuff they showed in the video is at least promising.

In the end, if you want a chill exploration game, then it's worth playing. If you want a space action game, then it probably isn't.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Fun Times! posted:

Is it still samey planet hopping with no real story or quests with a half baked NPC ecosystem?

New post to answer the edit:

There's more story, but it's still minimal. There are now quests, which I quite enjoyed. The NPC system still felt half baked to me in 1.2, with random alien standing around not doing anything or really achieving anything (except you can now hire them to work in your home base).

1.3 does seem be adding a lot to each of these 3 areas though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Lone Badger posted:

I feel like playing a shootmans game. Has anything with decent singleplayer come out in the last year or two, or is it all multiplayer these days?

titanfall 2 has a really fantastic singleplayer mode. it's in ORIGIN ACCESS, so you can drop five bucks on that and play through it and have a blast. game is rad as hell and a real surprise!

DOOM is also real good, of course.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Started up Hellblade last night and played for about an hour. So far, it seems pretty interesting. I like how they represent schizophrenia in that there are voices that are encouraging, questioning, doubting. Sometimes they all speak up at once, sometimes it's just one or two at a time, and when Senua actually has thoughts of her own it cuts through everything else. There are a few other presentation things that are really unique and cool but I won't spoil them.

The gameplay itself is fine. Combat is flashy but extremely easy. The parry window is gigantic and attacks are massively telegraphed. The puzzles don't do much for me but they seem to just be excuses to get you to explore environments a little more, since the solutions are almost given to you.

Worth checking out I think. If nothing else, they're doing things with their sound design, mocap and...other elements that nobody else is doing right now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

kxZyle posted:

That does look like its turning into something possibly maybe potentially resembling a decent enough game.

Seriously though that is something I actually want to try out now.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
What was the name of the tool to bulk sell your cards?
Bulksteamseller?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kxZyle posted:

Their original trailer was pretty convincing too, what with flowing rivers and lush vegetation and a game that looked like not poo poo

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
After hating launch No Man's Sky, thinking 1.1 was a bad update, and being unable to play 1.2 due to constant crashing I'm happy to say that 1.3 actually feels like a cool and good new game.

No idea how long it'll last but at least they've kept up on their promises to expand and polish the game. Kinda miffed that my home planet changed from a cool purple dino zone to a frozen hellscape though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yodzilla posted:

Kinda miffed that my home planet changed from a cool purple dino zone to a frozen hellscape though.

That's just the Ice Age, bro.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

New post to answer the edit:

There's more story, but it's still minimal. There are now quests, which I quite enjoyed. The NPC system still felt half baked to me in 1.2, with random alien standing around not doing anything or really achieving anything (except you can now hire them to work in your home base).

1.3 does seem be adding a lot to each of these 3 areas though.

Thanks for the replies. Man the game actually looks good now. Really gonna think about it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Their original trailer was pretty convincing too, what with flowing rivers and lush vegetation and a game that looked like not poo poo

I was gonna say, just lol that people are taking a No Man's Sky trailer at face value again.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is Project Zomboid any good? I'm kinda bored with Cataclysm right now and I'm not interested in multiplayer.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I loved early versions of Zomboid. It's good clean zombie fun, and I think it is well worth the price.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
:siren::siren::siren: Trip Report:siren::siren::siren:

I purchased FOXHOLE and joined the GOON Thread.

The game has a slight learning curv but it makes for a casual game to pick up. You don't have to spend hours playing to make a difference
You can either play logistics or go to the front lines. With logistics you can build or run materials back into our base.

I chose to partake in some great combat last night. In the goon discord we had 10 or so members in Road gently caress Squad ( another 6 in a logistics channel)
We set up fox holes and walls on the enemy teams supply roads. At one point they had 20 people rush our fox holes. I died but I was told there was a carpet of bodies left.
You also have in game VOIP. So when you are bleeding out you can cry to the other team or enemy. "just tell my wife I love her Arrggggg". This added feature makes for a fun and yet creepy environment.

You should pick this up if you want debauchery and some good ol' goon fun.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Playing as a Snake Oil Salesman in West of Loathing is very much like being the Jew in The Stick of Truth. Enemies regularly barf themselves to death.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Good on Hello Games. Seems like they'll be salvaging their name and game if they stay on this path. I'm okay with waiting more myself because backlog.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hollenhammer posted:

Partially. He thinks the game can ONLY be fun if you play stealthily, taser ONLY and NO GUNS EVER!!!!!
All other playstyles, according to George, aren't acceptable.

e: and no melee, apparently

The general consensus with W_D2 is that its a really good game, with a light hearted and fun atmosphere (I agree 100%) but the actual gun combat feels toneally off.

Its the same "ludo-narrative" dissonance that people complain about with GTA4, where Niko talks about wanting "out of the game" but then the player takes him on a rocket murder-spree 5 seconds later.

What I'm saying is, I totally agree that W_D2 would have been better if there was no gun-violence options (through hacking is fine), and I get the impression that's a very common opinion.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

People were discussing Stranger of Sword City when talking about Wizardly-alikes a few pages ago so I gave it a shot and this game is really good. It was a little frustrating at first before I got into the swing of things and there are some features it's sorely lacking (like the ability to inspect a monster or look it up in your bestiary while in combat with it) but once I had the basics figured out it felt like exactly what I was hoping for; a big party with pretty involved character development, tons of weird loot, dungeons with unique gimmicks. Someone mentioned that the exp curve is frustrating but it hasn't been an issue for me yet (level 13 and just class changed everyone in my third dungeon) because the game throws a ton of enemies at you and provides enough incentive for grinding in ambush areas to get loot.

Anyway if you want an esoteric first person party-based dungeon crawler, you can't really go wrong here. Just be prepared for some really long text segments that don't have a "skip all" button.

PantsBandit posted:

Started up Hellblade last night and played for about an hour. So far, it seems pretty interesting. I like how they represent schizophrenia in that there are voices that are encouraging, questioning, doubting. Sometimes they all speak up at once, sometimes it's just one or two at a time, and when Senua actually has thoughts of her own it cuts through everything else. There are a few other presentation things that are really unique and cool but I won't spoil them.

The gameplay itself is fine. Combat is flashy but extremely easy. The parry window is gigantic and attacks are massively telegraphed. The puzzles don't do much for me but they seem to just be excuses to get you to explore environments a little more, since the solutions are almost given to you.

Worth checking out I think. If nothing else, they're doing things with their sound design, mocap and...other elements that nobody else is doing right now.

I played this game and I can't really say anything bad about it, except it really is a walking simulator with extremely little going on. Their take on schizophrenia is fantastic and was almost too much to handle at certain points but don't go in to this game expecting any kind of difficulty or interesting/rewarding combat. It's about walking around looking at the scenery of Hell while voices whisper at you and that's about it, but it's excellent if that's your cup of tea.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 11, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Drifter posted:

I know you meant bullet storm but I would play a game called bullet stork.
Nthing titanfall2 and doom 16 as great single player games

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

FastestGunAlive posted:

I know you meant bullet storm but I would play a game called bullet stork.
When one of the babies he was delivering got kidnapped by a child abduction ring, the Stork began waging a one-bird war against crime.
So basically something like John Wick, but with a stork.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

VodeAndreas posted:

His dad was poor and could only play the demo/spawn version. :(

I asked him about it a year ago when I got the inclination to play Diablo 1, and I remember him saying he wasn't really sold on the demo when he played it back then.

exquisite tea posted:

The original Butcher was pretty scary when I was 11, the extremely loud AAHHHH FRESH MEAT and the fact that you could very well be unequipped to handle him depending on how quickly you got down to the 3rd floor. Believe it or not he wasn't a 100% spawn in the first Diablo, depending on RNG you could never get the quest outside the cathedral.

There was actually supposed to be a cutscene for when you encounter The Butcher, but it either wasn't implemented properly or it was cut for some reason. The Butcher is pretty scary as it is, but imagine this popping up on the screen before he charges at you.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Snuffman posted:

The general consensus with W_D2 is that its a really good game, with a light hearted and fun atmosphere (I agree 100%) but the actual gun combat feels toneally off.

Its the same "ludo-narrative" dissonance that people complain about with GTA4, where Niko talks about wanting "out of the game" but then the player takes him on a rocket murder-spree 5 seconds later.

What I'm saying is, I totally agree that W_D2 would have been better if there was no gun-violence options (through hacking is fine), and I get the impression that's a very common opinion.

The Super Bunnyhop review said that stealth is a viable option in Watch Dogs 2 and going that route makes for a much better game overall.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Mill Village posted:

The Super Bunnyhop review said that stealth is a viable option in Watch Dogs 2 and going that route makes for a much better game overall.

It totally is, and going the hacker-drone-stealth route is infinitely more satisfying.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Free DLC for Total Warhammer if you sign in to their website.
https://dashboard.totalwar.com/auth/login

Just sign in to Total War Access, hit the Regiments of Renown button and they'll be delivered to your Steam account.
If you don't own the game, you get a 33% coupon for the game instead.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The puzzles in West of Loathing are obnoxious. There's a puzzle in the pickle factory where you have to raise the temperature of the vinegar processor to 190 degrees. There's a catch, the amount each shovelful of coal raises it changes based on the current temperature of the processor. I'm supposed to randomly click things until it works?

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Looking for solutions to steam problem:

I have a ton of categories, and thousands of games categorized, but yet now I cannot change any of them. When I change a category, it will be reverted when I next restart Steam. Anything I can do about this?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

yegods posted:

Looking for solutions to steam problem:

I have a ton of categories, and thousands of games categorized, but yet now I cannot change any of them. When I change a category, it will be reverted when I next restart Steam. Anything I can do about this?

Maybe switch to a new therapist?

alternately:
Steam\userdata\ (your Steam id number)\7
backup and then delete that "7" folder. Restart steam and see what happens. This worked for me when my categories disappeared like 3 years ago. Delete the backup if things work as normal.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hellblade is really reminding me of Ryse*, but done right. It's a pretty unashamed graphical/tech demo, but with pretty great writing and excellent art design.

Senua is probably the best performance I've ever seen in a videogame character. It's next level mocap and facial capture. It's pretty goddamn spooky. I guess the game can really crank the graphics as it's on rails though.

*I kinda liked Ryse as far as pretty but mindless games go

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 12, 2017