Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I hate javelins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

new phone who dis posted:

Your garrison in your home city as Wood Elves is ridiculous and you should bait them to attacking you there if you can.

Well I got him to attack me in a city but I can't seem to beat him even with a numbers advantage and upgraded troops (70 attack on wardancers, nice) because backed up by monsters he slaughters me in the front line and I only have a half health wild rider for cav.

I can auto-resolve a win but I lose my riders. Annoying.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
looks like Orion got some interesting changes in addition to the healing effect on his cloak (which is really nice). His spear throw seems to pierce units better, making it more powerful. The cooldown on his aoe abilities was also normalized, IIRC it used to be 45 seconds on hounds and 135 seconds on Hawks Talon, now it's 90 seconds on both. Also he's got a +30 anti-large bonus in melee that I don't remember him having before.

Someone dug into the spell tables and confirmed the full list of changes to direct damage spells:

Final Tranmutation, Dweller Bellow- Huge buffs, both very powerful now.

Devolve, Spirit Leech, Fate of Bjuna, slight nerfs.

Mystifying Miasma, pretty large nerf. It used to consistently do about 1000 damage to units Cav size and up, now you only get that much damage against goblin sized units and cav takes less than half what they used to.

Traitor Kin, decent buff, though it's changed focus from being kinda decent against single models to being a quite good direct damage spell to small unit sizes, (IE Cav) Also the speed debuff is -48% overcast, which going off memory is better than it used to be.

Rune of Wrath and Ruin sadly got nerfed yet again, it only does full damage to unit sizes of at least 50, so it's not a cav killer anymore. And just lower damage in general I think, I tested the normal wrath rune against goblins and only got about 750 damage. Because Dwarves needed fewer options against large apparently. At least the Cannon/Bolt Thrower buffs are apparently pretty effective.

Whatever changes they made to Alberics Trident ability doesn't seem to be helping much. It does slightly more damage in my tests but it still sucks pretty hard.

Oh, and they buffed Sword of Daith too. CA seems to be trying to get WE players to actually use the LLs once in a while, which I can get behind.

madmac fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 11, 2017

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Popete posted:

Started a Vampire Counts campaign, this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier than the last two times I played both as Orcs. Maybe they made the game as a whole easier.

I think the VC have always been the 'easy' faction and it's generally who I recommend friends play as to start (if they can't decide). Vlad is even easier with the possible exception of the very early turns before you have a real city.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Is there a mod that lets you gift cities. I own most of Kislev and I'd rather have an actual functioning Kislev over these angry cities.

Finished cleaning up the VC/Ostermark, confederated Marienburg. Have 6 not great at all armies of varied Empire state troops heading up to Bechefen to do a last stand against Chaos. Thankfully the Ostermark AI built up the province so I can start building up my armies while we wait. Not so thankfully the VC held the lower city for a long time, so it's got nothing in it now and I'm forced to rebuild it entirely.

Bret and the Dwarfs are great friends of mine, but also still not willing to be military allies, so it looks like it's just me vs Chaos. :toot:

Worst case scenario is I pull back to Talabheim and let them sack most of the eastern Empire while fortifying Altdorf. Once Chaos dies off it should be relatively easy to reconquer the Empire I imagine.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rookersh posted:

Is there a mod that lets you gift cities. I own most of Kislev and I'd rather have an actual functioning Kislev over these angry cities.

Finished cleaning up the VC/Ostermark, confederated Marienburg. Have 6 not great at all armies of varied Empire state troops heading up to Bechefen to do a last stand against Chaos. Thankfully the Ostermark AI built up the province so I can start building up my armies while we wait. Not so thankfully the VC held the lower city for a long time, so it's got nothing in it now and I'm forced to rebuild it entirely.

Bret and the Dwarfs are great friends of mine, but also still not willing to be military allies, so it looks like it's just me vs Chaos. :toot:

Worst case scenario is I pull back to Talabheim and let them sack most of the eastern Empire while fortifying Altdorf. Once Chaos dies off it should be relatively easy to reconquer the Empire I imagine.

Just set some traps with ambush mode armies next to settlements or other armies and you can usually split Chaos up into easily digestible chunks. If you have friends of any minor factions make sure to ask them to send armies up north because they often will.

Incidentally, it would be nice if you could ask your allies to help defend settlements or provinces. It gets annoying having a helpful ally give up and go home as soon as the targeted enemy army hides or goes into the fog of war.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Rookersh posted:

My income dropped from 10k a turn to 500 a turn thanks to the 3 new armies :suicide:. Which I can't find because I have no idea where any sort of dropdown menu is for generals.

Uhhh, just select any army. There are arrows by the lord's name that you can use to cycle through all your forces. Same for heroes and settlements. This has been a thing since...Rome 1 I want to say?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm having a hard time gauging how good fimir warriors are because my trolls + Throgg are wrecking the enemy too quickly.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Are generic marauders or marauder javelins the bread and butter thing to spam, here?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Periphery posted:

I love javelins.

Corrected your statement.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Carcer posted:

I'm having a hard time gauging how good fimir warriors are because my trolls + Throgg are wrecking the enemy too quickly.

They are good but why bother when you can pump up throggs trolls and wulfriks skinwolves imo.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skaven plague priest, doomwheel, and Queek Headtaker!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Snatch Duster posted:

Is it last week already?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Why is it in Turkish?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
because it got leaked on some Turkish site last week

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Snatch Duster posted:

Submission for Norsca muzak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzRw0mz1YtE

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Gonkish posted:

They spawn as hostile and you have to murder them.

Do you/anyone remember how many stacks they spawn with when you do that? I did the traditional option and they spawned with like 10+ fully kitted out murder stacks and i went "lol, glad i did that".

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Thanks to research, choosing to defeat the Chaos Warriors and maybe some skill selections I'm basically 0 upkeep with Wintertooth even with five army stacks all hopped up on expensive stuff. Pretty much done with my first playthrough just got to finish all the monster hunts. I went with Crow to see what the world-plague does and holy dooly by the time I got further south there really wasn't much of anything or anyone. They'd all been too ill to fight the Beastmen.

Dongattack posted:

Do you/anyone remember how many stacks they spawn with when you do that? I did the traditional option and they spawned with like 10+ fully kitted out murder stacks and i went "lol, glad i did that".

For me, I think it was six. The three LLs, the Lord of Change, and two dudes one of whom was already tooting around atop a manticore.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 11, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Snatch Duster posted:

They are good but why bother when you can pump up throggs trolls and wulfriks skinwolves imo.

Throgg's got a skill that at 3 pips give them +15 Melee Defense and +15 Leadership. They also have good armor, good leadership, sunder armor, cause magical damage, have a 22% resistence to missiles and the great weapon ones are anti-large.

In theory they'll be a rock hard frontline that with the upgrades will never rout, but I've yet gotten a fight hard enough to properly test that before the trolls have squashed everything.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i love that no one is choosing to side with chaos while playing as Norsca :allears:

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

More like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA38ffX1AHo&t=30s

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

What would be lizardmen music? I can think of that one MTW2 Kingdoms track aaaaand

Anyway viking music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf4yIDRzvYs

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 11, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Campaign is so frustrating as Empire. Go and fight Chaos. Oh lol here are some Beastmen way back in your territory. Why yes, you're allied with literally every human civ? Watch and marvel as they march their huge armies right past beastmen seiging your soft target cities. Why is the friendly AI such garbage in this game.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Jastiger posted:

Campaign is so frustrating as Empire. Go and fight Chaos. Oh lol here are some Beastmen way back in your territory. Why yes, you're allied with literally every human civ? Watch and marvel as they march their huge armies right past beastmen seiging your soft target cities. Why is the friendly AI such garbage in this game.

You can give them specific war co-ordination targets on armies/cities that you're both at war with on the Diplomacy screen.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Are you guys raiding south or consolidating the north as Norsca? I tried the former and currently all my settlements are wiped while I was away.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

RentACop posted:

What would be lizardmen music? I can think of that one MTW2 Kingdoms track aaaaand

Perhaps?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tl7DCbClOE

Or this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1QWS6UXQA4&t=71s

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Consolidating as the Norsca is not time consuming. It's one battle per tribe. You can do it on your way to Nordland. Someone mentioned leaving those tribes alone so that they'll raid the south for you and build up their cities for you. Yeah, sure, I'm going to let you poach my 10K+ gold sackings and build your terrible redundant provinces and give Wulfrik skillpoints in, I don't know, dogs, when I could easily just be the boss.

One preview youtuber I watched before yesterday seemed to assume that in order to get a confederation peace you had to eliminate the relevant lord in battle. You don't, you just have to see a victory screen against his army. Boom, confederation and a stack of cash. I don't know how prevalent that misconception is.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Thanks to research, choosing to defeat the Chaos Warriors and maybe some skill selections I'm basically 0 upkeep with Wintertooth even with five army stacks all hopped up on expensive stuff. Pretty much done with my first playthrough just got to finish all the monster hunts. I went with Crow to see what the world-plague does and holy dooly by the time I got further south there really wasn't much of anything or anyone. They'd all been too ill to fight the Beastmen.

For me, I think it was six. The three LLs, the Lord of Change, and two dudes one of whom was already tooting around atop a manticore.
So what does Crow actually do when maxed out?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

RentACop posted:

I feel like this is relevant. https://youtu.be/PZsQwKPTlKg

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Incidentally, last night I beat Skaeling's lord in a battle, for the tutorial pop-up that said he's ripe for confederation now, but when I checked I still couldn't sue for peace. I had to have another go and entirely wipe out his army before he'd let me end the war between us and then confederate, so maybe that's what the guy encountered.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

thatdarnedbob posted:

One preview youtuber I watched before yesterday seemed to assume that in order to get a confederation peace you had to eliminate the relevant lord in battle. You don't, you just have to see a victory screen against his army. Boom, confederation and a stack of cash. I don't know how prevalent that misconception is.

they never said anything other than "smash the dude in battle" so I'd say pretty much everyone

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

non modded AI army comp.png

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thatdarnedbob posted:

Consolidating as the Norsca is not time consuming. It's one battle per tribe. You can do it on your way to Nordland. Someone mentioned leaving those tribes alone so that they'll raid the south for you and build up their cities for you. Yeah, sure, I'm going to let you poach my 10K+ gold sackings and build your terrible redundant provinces and give Wulfrik skillpoints in, I don't know, dogs, when I could easily just be the boss.

If you are lucky you can confed 75% of the northern tribes by turn 11. However, if you beat an enemy Lord but your general dies in the process you can confed that tribe. Don't know if this is a bug or not.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

queeb posted:

This is an army which ice wolves dream about.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

queeb posted:

would you prefer 10 chariots, 5 trolls and some javelin horses?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I had no idea you could confederate them up so easily.

Does this mean I can pick a fight with, say, Varg, who is not currently at war with me, crush one of their stacks, then immediately confederate with them afterward? Because if you can that is hilarious.

I know that with Wood Elves the confederation threshold seems more based on the Great Oak than actual diplomatic standing; I've confederated with Durthu who was pulling the red frowny face and the text indicated that he was really reluctant to do so. It might be similar to that, which is cool and unique in a way.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

queeb posted:

That looks like absolute hell to fight as Dwarfs,

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Does this mean I can pick a fight with, say, Varg, who is not currently at war with me, crush one of their stacks, then immediately confederate with them afterward? Because if you can that is hilarious.

It has to be their faction leader, so in this case surtha ek's stack, but yes

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

SkySteak posted:

That looks like absolute hell to fight as Dwarfs,

Eh, bring plenty of Quarrelers/Thunderers/artillery. They're not shielded and have pitifully low armor, they're also shorter ranged than many other missile units, and anti large which doesn't bother Dwarves. With Dwarves' armor and shields javelin spam shouldn't be a huge problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I like how well rounded they ended up making the Norscans. Their lineup seems similar to Vampire Counts in functionality except you actually have some ranged options mixed in there. Some things I'm curious about:

-How is the Ice Wolf Chariot? It seems interesting.

-What's better, armored Skinwolves or Fmir? At a glance they both seem rather similar to each other.

• Locked thread