Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

NewFatMike posted:

My local Micro Center is having a deal on RX 470s, only $329!!! :v:

Buttminers were a mistake.

gpus are actually considered trash to the serious miners. It's all about the ASICs now especially for buttcoin. You go from mega to gigahash per second.

Basically, suggest them to buy those expensive things instead of taking cards from gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

EVIL Gibson posted:

gpus are actually considered trash to the serious miners. It's all about the ASICs now especially for buttcoin. You go from mega to gigahash per second.

Basically, suggest them to buy those expensive things instead of taking cards from gamers.

Are there any ASICs that pay for themselves anywhere near as quickly as 470/480/570/580/1070s do? Payback time has gotten much worse but it's still only 3 months.

All of the payback periods I've seen for ASIC miners are longer than that.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EVIL Gibson posted:

Actually, most altcoins are designed in a way to make ASICs impractical, as an explicit design goal.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EVIL Gibson posted:

buttcoin is old news, old man.

It's all about Asscoin and Etherectum now. Sphinctercoin. Browncoin. Loincoin. It's a whole new world out there, old man. You're old.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Twerk from Home posted:

Are there any ASICs that pay for themselves anywhere near as quickly as 470/480/570/580/1070s do? Payback time has gotten much worse but it's still only 3 months.

All of the payback periods I've seen for ASIC miners are longer than that.

Just trying to get people to give up gpus for non video non game reasons .. :(

I do mining on the side lighly but I see no value in using cards and power to get anything good out of it. At least not enough to use a baller gpu to not even plug in a video cable into it.

As an update to that 7970 card, I got three fans for it and hung it off the side. I asked my friend what is the best fan if I want to push air as much as possible and I don't care about the sound.

He said Delta.

They came in, installed them (directly to psu rail since I see warnings that a motherboard will have problems providing that much power to it) and now the cooling issue is fixed. Just two more problems. The fans taking off and the noise.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 11, 2017

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Why the hell does Linus Tech Tips need to film in 8k.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Kramjacks posted:

so he can down scale it to 1080p and upload that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

EVIL Gibson posted:

Just trying to get people to give up gpus for non video non game reasons .. :(

I do mining on the side lighly but I see no value in using cards and power to get anything good out of it. At least not enough to use a baller gpu to not even plug in a video cable into it.

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCcBGX0E8ns

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Kramjacks posted:

Because the dude easily makes that kind of cash in a single week, and his faux outrage at RED cameras being super expensive pieces of pro-grade hardware drives views which he can then turn into yet more money.

A couple of things RED kinda overcharges for but, by and large, it's like buying a tesla or a quadro from nvidia. A huge part of the cost is support, validation, etcetera.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Speaking of Linus, remember when he called Vega FE a piece of garbage and promised to tear it a new one in his review.

Funny how that review never got posted after AMD threw several exclusive previews and a Holocube his way :allears:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Kramjacks posted:

Why the hell do you need any of the gadgets you have

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
AMD is recommending a 1kw psu for watercooled vega lol.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Don Lapre posted:

Sounds about right. :shrug:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Don Lapre posted:

I mean if they recommended less everyone would be :byodood:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

NewFatMike posted:

I mean if they recommended less everyone would be :byodood:

I remember when there was a yaulp in the community when the first card that required two power plugs going into it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its ok, im sure Navi will finally bring some competition for 2016's GTX 1080... in 2019 when it launches

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Of potential interest to this thread, because of GPU-accelerated machine learning:

OpenAI just beat all of the world's best Dota pros, with an exhibition match at TI7 vs Dendi at 1v1 solo mid SF.

edit: Cited times: 1 hour to beat casual bots, 2 weeks of continuous simulation to beat skilled players.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 12, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Cygni posted:

its ok, im sure Navi will finally bring some competition for 2016's GTX 1080... in 2019 when it launches

Hum the first sure thing ive heard about AMD in a while

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
You can't ask AMD to do 2 amazing things in one year, Ryzen was ground breaking and shook up the market. Vega is mediocre and is going to get smashed when Nvidia responds by launching Volta and cutting the price of the 1080 to a hundred bucks beneath the top of the line Vega.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Of potential interest to this thread, because of GPU-accelerated machine learning:

OpenAI just beat all of the world's best Dota pros, with an exhibition match at TI7 vs Dendi at 1v1 solo mid SF.

edit: Cited times: 1 hour to beat casual bots, 2 weeks of continuous simulation to beat skilled players.

dota bots have had perfect laning for over 3 years. The only difference was that they were considered hacks. The AI result is impressive but the results are less so considering how constrained the learning environment is.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

dota bots have had perfect laning for over 3 years. The only difference was that they were considered hacks. The AI result is impressive but the results are less so considering how constrained the learning environment is.

Never played Dota ( i did play SC-BW and SC2), nor Dota-like games. What does "perfect laning" means? Is there a perfect strategy in that game that (if you can execute it) guarantees a win?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gold and XP is distributed based on who gets the killing blow or last hits. You can also last hit your own monsters to deny that gold and xp to the opponent.

If you get every possible last hit and deny every one of their last hits you will have double the xp and gold as them. The larger this gap grows the more you can bully them back without fear of retaliation until their xp/gold growth is effectively zero and there is no coming back.

Its one aspect of the game that is a major distinction between a pro player and the casual and its what the AI bot is solely focused on. A pro can be expected to hit 16/20 possible last hits while the bot was getting closer to 19/20 only missing when he was taking an opportunity to bully the opponent back.

It started out fairly even for the first few minutes because the consequence for not playing perfectly was only sub 5% difference in hero strength. After 4 minutes the bot was 30% stronger and victory was guaranteed.

Its impressive that it learned how to do that, but scripts that lane perfectly have existed for years but they are cheats or hacks

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 12, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

repiv posted:

Speaking of Linus, remember when he called Vega FE a piece of garbage and promised to tear it a new one in his review.

Funny how that review never got posted after AMD threw several exclusive previews and a Holocube his way :allears:

I don't think ANYONE has posted actual Vega reviews yet.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.chiphell.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1763923&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D223&page=1
china doesn't know what a "sales embargo" is so here's a bunch of photos of RX Vega 64 Liquid from some dude who bought one yesterday

and here's a benchmark from :iiam: (so use salt)

note: dunno if that's a 64 on air or liquid

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 12, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

So for $700 i can get a card roughly = to a $500 1080?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
lol if you think the target audience has anything to do with games

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Palladium posted:

lol if you think the target audience has anything to do with games

At this point it's rumored that Vega 64 may see a price hike at launch compared to MSRP. No one sane is going to buy one for games so might as well squeeze an extra couple hundred bucks out of buttminers.

Vega 56 at least looks promising, solidly ahead of a GTX 1070FE where a water cooled Vega that's going to be clocked almost to the max as is is barely able to beat a 1080FE.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
let see how well the 3rd party vega's OC, not well im assuming

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Fauxtool posted:

Wild stab at not very well considering what must be some hilarious thermal problems.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Fauxtool posted:

I can't imagine seeing much OC headroom past what a water cooled Vega already has. The main issue from what I've read is that the card is responding rather poorly to clock speed OC's and you really need to OC the HBM2 to get anything out of the card. And from my understanding AMD is already OC'ing the HBM2 just to get it to reach the speeds it does on Vega 64.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fauxtool posted:

Its impressive that it learned how to do that, but scripts that lane perfectly have existed for years but they are cheats or hacks

If you think that this is all it's doing you're missing the point. It's not just running a script, it's making judgment calls based on available data in real-time.

It's like that guy that had (still has?) a Twitch stream the other month of an AI playing GTA5 single player, driving terribly and often going off into the ocean. He was getting it to eventually "see" in color and maybe eventually be able to progressively learn rather than driving like a moron all of the time. As a driver, it's terrible and you could argue that the scripted NPC drivers going up and down the streets are more controlled at what they're doing. But the scripted NPC driver is doing whatever it was scripted to do, it's not building it's own scripting as it goes along.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Beautiful Ninja posted:

I can't imagine seeing much OC headroom past what a water cooled Vega already has. The main issue from what I've read is that the card is responding rather poorly to clock speed OC's and you really need to OC the HBM2 to get anything out of the card. And from my understanding AMD is already OC'ing the HBM2 just to get it to reach the speeds it does on Vega 64.

You can continue to overlock the HBM2 on stock voltage to ~1100Mhz, and based on what Buildzoid has said there still seems to be room left yet with BIOS mods. Based on that chart though, it'd be stupid to get Vega 64 when Vega 56 is so drat close, so much cheaper and way less insane on the power requirements. Keep in mind that it's only a what, 12%? difference? despite core clock and memory clock disadvantages? Yeah, just get a good AIB Vega 56 and crank up the memory clock and you'll be within 5% of Vega 64.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Craptacular! posted:

If you think that this is all it's doing you're missing the point. It's not just running a script, it's making judgment calls based on available data in real-time.

It's like that guy that had (still has?) a Twitch stream the other month of an AI playing GTA5 single player, driving terribly and often going off into the ocean. He was getting it to eventually "see" in color and maybe eventually be able to progressively learn rather than driving like a moron all of the time. As a driver, it's terrible and you could argue that the scripted NPC drivers going up and down the streets are more controlled at what they're doing. But the scripted NPC driver is doing whatever it was scripted to do, it's not building it's own scripting as it goes along.

i stated several times that the learning aspect was impressive but not the result

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
AdoredTV got an RX Vega 64 Liquid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0KhRXp0bQU

And Pual:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5RmKPLDq00

And this idiot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55ogo3pJS3g

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 12, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
One of the YouTube accounts I follow also got a 56 and 64, but I refuse to direct traffic to a video of a man opening a box. Wait until he at least tries to do something first.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Craptacular! posted:

One of the YouTube accounts I follow also got a 56 and 64, but I refuse to direct traffic to a video of a man opening a box. Wait until he at least tries to do something first.

but don't you get it, he is OPENING A BOX. What could be inside that box? How will you know? Because let's face it no one in this thread is going to buy vega 64, maybe a 56 if its cheap enough.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

Well bully for you.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I enjoyed watching man unbox thing from box at least the one I watched which is the Scottish guy who sounds like he has a box of twinkies in his mouth the entire time.

They probably should have toned down the marketing bullshit in the booklet.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Radeon-...CUAAOSwlcZZiFtl
AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 GPU, NEW, Fastest bitcoin mining, graphics video card

GBP 999.00

(he very clearly doesn't actually have this in his hands but lol if this is what the future looks like)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm running a mixed AMD/Nvidia config in a buttcoin mining rig and for some reason the overclocking options on the RX580 are locked out, I tried a few different tweaking programs and it's locked out on every one that I try, even when I dig through the options and enable anything related to overclocking and overvolting. Any ideas as to what could be going on here?