Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I think it confirmed that it gets counter? And two other moves, I asume the first one shown was accelrock, and whatever that howl was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Avalerion posted:

whatever that howl was.

it's Howl

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I hear people saying that Dusk form is supposed to combine the best aspects of Midnight and Midday, but I'm not really seeing what Midnight adds to the equation. Midnight is basically Midday, but with its speed cut to add an insignificant boost to its defenses. I get what they were intending, but the game designers didn't really make their stats that different, so Midnight was worse just because it's slower. Since Dusk is a quadruped, it can't even claim the benefit of being able to punch. What does Midnight benefit it?

Don't get me wrong, I really hope our orange dog puts both its competition to shame, but I'm not seeing how it'll be better than just Midday unless they really up its stat total.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The context of "Best part of Midnight" is that Dusk form is able to learn moves that both Midday and Midnight can get. Lore-wise, Midday is all about attacking first while Midnight preferred battle style is to take opponents attacks and dish out double the damage. Dusk form, being the combination of the two, can do both. Which is also helpful in that both known forms of Lycanroc suffer from terrible movepools.

Right now its impossible to know what Dusk form's stats are going to be. But given that it's supposed to be a combination of the two, it can either have a higher stat total (Midday's speed plus Midnight's defenses) or its stat total is the same but allocated differently. If the later is to occur, then ideally they should take 30 points from special attack (a stat that's useless to it) and allocate it to the defenses.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dusk already has a significantly better ability than Midday, if it just miraculously kept the same stats and got one more move that benefited from Tough Claws it'd probably be a decent (if very predictable) offensive mon.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

less laughter posted:

:thejoke:

Anyway the only new thing is that around the 0:40 mark it makes it seem that Dusk Lycanroc is an UM exclusive, and that the special Rockruff will evolve into another form in US.

I don't actually see anything that says it will evolve into something else in US there. Am I just missing it?

Something I was wondering: why exactly do we still have the Attack/Sp.Attack split stats-wise? Why not just roll the two of them into a generic attack stat and let the moves handle the Physical/Special attribute? The only reason I can think of to make them separate stats is to allow for mixed attackers, and I can't think of a single situation where going point halfsies on Attack and Sp.Attack is ever worth it.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 12, 2017

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

I don't actually see anything that says it will evolve into something else in US there. Am I just missing it?

Something I was wondering: why exactly do we still have the Attack/Sp.Attack split stats-wise? Why not just roll the two of them into a generic attack stat and let the moves handle the Physical/Special attribute? The only reason I can think of to make them separate stats is to allow for mixed attackers, and I can't think of a single situation where going point halfsies on Attack and Sp.Attack is ever worth it.

i mean if you want to make walls useless, you should just say so

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Red Metal posted:

i mean if you want to make walls useless, you should just say so

How would it make them useless? Special Defense and Defense would still be a thing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

How would it make them useless? Special Defense and Defense would still be a thing.

Because everything could just hit whichever of its opponent's defenses is weaker more or less all the time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bongo Bill posted:

Because everything could just hit whichever of its opponent's defenses is weaker more or less all the time.

That would still be dependent on the moves that are available to them.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

yeah, that's the problem. you've got a single attack stat but two defense stats. offensive mons would be able to invest in a single stat but be able to hit against both defenses, meaning defensive mons have a harder time checking what they're supposed to, since their opponent can use whatever move targets the weaker defense

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe
also, do you really want gamefreak to prevent you from your pokemon forward again?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I guess that makes sense. I just see that there's a bit of a dead zone when it comes to physical vs. special, since all the more "valuable" Pokemon minmax one specific type of attack stat and a mixed 110/110 is considered less good than a focused 90/130. Since by definition most Pokemon aren't that heavily skewed, that means most Pokemon aren't considered to be very effective stats-wise. I'm trying to figure out a solution to that problem.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Give Kingler Tough Claws instead of Sheer Force :(

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Give Kingler Tough Claws instead of Sheer Force :(

my inside man at gamefreak said to wait for alolan kingler

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ruggington posted:

my inside man at gamefreak said to wait for alolan kingler

It's going to be a palette-swapped crabominable

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Crabominable needs an Alolan variant that gets rid of that awful AWFUL Ice type.

WHY?? Why couldn't you be Fighting/Water crab bro!? :smith:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It should keep the ice type but get better stats

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it should look good instead of like garbage

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It just needs speed so that it could work as a sweeper, but that's the story with most ice types.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Water/steel Kingler

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Crabominable was a mistake and Crabrawler should have been a single stage Pokemon with higher stats all around. But I do understand that there had to be at least one Alolan Pokemon with the ice typing.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

he should have been a god drat snowman like he was supposed to be

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Crabominable is the best and I won't heal ill about my Yeti Crab boxing buddy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

Is there anything interesting in the Battle Tree in SM? Wondering what to do after catching all the Tapu and UBs.

Edit: Actually, yeah, it's been a while since I did any hardcore Pokemon stuff - so what's the commonly accepted way of getting everybody to level 100 now? Just bashing your head against the E4 like usual? I know EVs and the like can be trained up a lot more easily these days, so I can get those down.

Do you have Pokemon Bank? If you do dump off all your Pokemon in it and I'm not sure if it's like time thing or something, but check back on it and it will give you the option of getting BP based on how many Pokemon you have in there which you can use to buy Rare Candy at the Battle Tree.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Crabominable is the best and I won't heal ill about my Yeti Crab boxing buddy.

I don't like to talk bad about people's friends, but it was probably the most disappointing thing in that game. I used one on my team for so long, having no idea what it would evolve into, and then...

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

McDragon posted:

he should have been a god drat snowman like he was supposed to be

Gen V (Vanilluxe and Cryogonal) and VI (Avalugg) proved that fans don't like Pokémon that are literally made of ice and snow. It also doesn't help that they're defensive and ice is a bad defensive type.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
They should make the ice type not total garbage to be, IMO

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I still don't understand why Steel and Fighting are super effective against Ice.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Zuzie posted:

Gen V (Vanilluxe and Cryogonal) and VI (Avalugg) proved that fans don't like Pokémon that are literally made of ice and snow. It also doesn't help that they're defensive and ice is a bad defensive type.

Counterpoint: I had both Vanilluxe and Cryogonal on my Gen V teams and they were good boys.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Pollyanna posted:

I still don't understand why Steel and Fighting are super effective against Ice.

Blenders and punching really hard will break ice if it can already break rock.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pollyanna posted:

like punching some ice apart hell yeah motherfucker

idk about steel though. but a lot of things with pokemon types don't make that much sense. like how we still have the mistranslation of "grass" type instead of "plant" type, or how we have both ground and rock type, or how some types refer to elements while others refer to fighting styles or even bodytypes.

a lot of type weaknesses are like... someone tried to think up something that would work better than normal against X thing, without taking account for how it would also work better than normal against basically everything else.
eg: fire is good against steel, presumably because you can melt metal... but it's a lot harder to do damage to metal with fire than to flesh with fire

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Pollyanna posted:

Momomo posted:

Blenders and punching really hard will break ice if it can already break rock.

:yeah:
Fighting vs Ice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M6Fr0z1qPw&t=190s

Steel vs Ice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6vTniRXEk0&t=32s

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ice is brittle. That's probably the start and end of why it's a lovely defensive type

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
am i missing something about why steel wouldn't break ice? cause it makes perfect sense to me, ice picks and ice-breakers exist

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Ice is good and Ice types are my friends

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

All types are cool and good, and they should add Food type in Gen 8.

OgretailFood fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 12, 2017

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

im going to personally send a VERY strongly-worded letter to everyone that has ever suggested rock and ground be the same type

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

what if they just started giving ice types better than average defenses to balance out their being weak to everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you can just thank me here, save the trees