Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I always saw book Pennywise as something terrible just passably appearing to be a clown. Like, not actually pulling it off well enough to fool anyone. Georgie is super young so he wouldn't know and I think it says that explicitly, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tired Moritz posted:

why did they have to make pennywise so sexy

Newly leaked photo from the set:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Spite posted:

I always saw book Pennywise as something terrible just passably appearing to be a clown. Like, not actually pulling it off well enough to fool anyone. Georgie is super young so he wouldn't know and I think it says that explicitly, right?

Georgie is described as thinking Pennywise looks like Clarabell from Howdy Doody, or Ronald McDonald if he'd lived longer.

That's the original Ronald (:gonk:) which if I saw that mother fucker in a sewer I would have gone running.

I do agree with your point about Pennywise looking kinda like a clown but barely. I think that's part of what makes Pennywise so scary in the book, not just as the clown but when he takes on the other (not the giant spider) forms, it's not so much that he looks just like the thing he's presenting himself as, but more the literal nightmare version of it.

Of course this works much better in the written form because we as the audience are given the description along with the point of reference that the kids draw from, and our imagination fills in the rest.

(King actually makes a point about this in On Writing about using enough detail to get the scene across while leaving the heavy lifting to the audience. He uses an example of a rabbit in a glass tank on a table with a blue 8 written on its back. He gives two versions of the same scene one that's more detailed and one less, the point being made is that while author and audience aren't going to see exactly the same thing, we (author and audience) are seeing the same thing.)

The monsters we see in movies that fuel our nightmares as children are always worse in our nightmares because your imagination has taken the worst parts of that monster and amplified them, and considering Pennywise is drawing on that subconscious nightmare world in the kids minds, of course he looks kinda like the monster being referenced but worse.

Not to mention the loving fuzzy orange pompoms that are always somewhere on the monster.

Bad enough a giant god drat bird is trying to murder you but the fucker has orange pompoms on its tongue :magical:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Pennywise totally thought he was getting a value meal when Georgie mentions his brother, that's pretty great. The guy playing Pennywise, what else has he been in?

Stellan Skarsgard's testicles.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
It's something I always kind of envisioned and not really derived from the text, but when Pennywise was supposed to be a clown, he was slightly different. Maybe a different height or weight, different makeup or hair, just slightly off enough to be worrisome. That's just always kind of how I pictured him.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

weekly font posted:

I won't kinkshame, it's cool.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

joylessdivision posted:

Georgie is described as thinking Pennywise looks like Clarabell from Howdy Doody, or Ronald McDonald if he'd lived longer.

That's the original Ronald (:gonk:) which if I saw that mother fucker in a sewer I would have gone running.

I do agree with your point about Pennywise looking kinda like a clown but barely. I think that's part of what makes Pennywise so scary in the book, not just as the clown but when he takes on the other (not the giant spider) forms, it's not so much that he looks just like the thing he's presenting himself as, but more the literal nightmare version of it.

Of course this works much better in the written form because we as the audience are given the description along with the point of reference that the kids draw from, and our imagination fills in the rest.

(King actually makes a point about this in On Writing about using enough detail to get the scene across while leaving the heavy lifting to the audience. He uses an example of a rabbit in a glass tank on a table with a blue 8 written on its back. He gives two versions of the same scene one that's more detailed and one less, the point being made is that while author and audience aren't going to see exactly the same thing, we (author and audience) are seeing the same thing.)

The monsters we see in movies that fuel our nightmares as children are always worse in our nightmares because your imagination has taken the worst parts of that monster and amplified them, and considering Pennywise is drawing on that subconscious nightmare world in the kids minds, of course he looks kinda like the monster being referenced but worse.

Not to mention the loving fuzzy orange pompoms that are always somewhere on the monster.

Bad enough a giant god drat bird is trying to murder you but the fucker has orange pompoms on its tongue :magical:

I legit hope the filmmakers made a deal with Toho so they can include clips from Rodan. One of those great little details in the book.

One potential problem that has been brought up with the "first movie is childhood, second is them as adults approach" is, if you disentangle all that, there's not a lot happening in the second part- for most of the adult passages they're wandering and remembering. I forget how the miniseries handled it.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Maxwell Lord posted:

One potential problem that has been brought up with the "first movie is childhood, second is them as adults approach" is, if you disentangle all that, there's not a lot happening in the second part- for most of the adult passages they're wandering and remembering. I forget how the miniseries handled it.

In the miniseries, the 1950's story is told through flashbacks that each adult character has after getting the phone call from Mike.

This causes Stan's suicide to be moved from the beginning of the book to the very end of Part 1, because he gets the most horrifying flashback (the final confrontation)

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kevyn posted:

In the miniseries, the 1950's story is told through flashbacks that each adult character has after getting the phone call from Mike.

This causes Stan's suicide to be moved from the beginning of the book to the very end of Part 1, because he gets the most horrifying flashback (the final confrontation)

Yep. I think they mentioned somewhere that the second part will deal with scenes we don't see in the first as part of the adults remembering, but the director (pretty sure it was an interview with him) mentioned they didn't shoot the movies back to back so he's praying none of the kids hit a growth spurt between films.

Which if that's the case is really really dumb. Why not just get those scenes shot (I know budget concerns) so they're in the bag and then if the second movie doesn't get made,which is a real concern if this one doesn't do well enough, you can always toss those extra scenes onto the DVD/Bluray as extras.

But that makes way too much sense and why would Hollywood ever do anything sensible?

I'm still super excited for this movie, more so than I probably should be, but this is my favorite King book (after Carrie) and considering I read it the first time when I was about the age of the Losers Club, it's got a special place in my heart. I know it won't be a 1:1 adaptation because Jesus Christ it would be as long as loving Return of the King if it was, but I'd kinda be OK with a 5 or 6 hour long adaptation of IT.

Part one needs to be good enough to warrant a sequel because I need to see the destruction of Derry on the big screen god drat it.

And a quick aside about Carrie: as much as I love the original movie, I was really looking forward to the remake from a couple years ago because I got my hands on a draft of that script and it was much closer to the novel, including the rain of stones scene and using the "White Report" stuff as a framing device.

It was awesome and I was hyped as gently caress going into the theater. I walked out disappointed that instead I basically got a shot for shot remake of the original, albeit with some good performances and effects.

Basically what I'm saying is don't gently caress me on this New Line, although that scene I posted yesterday has me considerably less concerned than I had been.

I am interested to see if they still use the Andrew Mellon storyline in part 2 or if they change it in some way.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Is that the gay guy from the beginning? It's been a good 20 years since I read the book but I always remember the line about him or his bf having trousers so tight you could see the wrinkles of his cock

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Georgie clip is so loving good... Every time I rewatch it I notice another freakish quality of Pennywise

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Rewatch #1: Rat teeth
Rewatch #2: It's drooling the entire time
Rewatch #3: It's pupils are asymmetrical and off-kilter

Edit: Pronouns

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 12, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The drooling was really good.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

weekly font posted:

Loved those guys in Dogville.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

gently caress Dude... I really wanna see this movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

net cafe scandal posted:

Rewatch #1: Rat teeth
Rewatch #2: It's drooling the entire time
Rewatch #3: It's pupils are asymmetrical and off-kilter

Edit: Pronouns

Spoiler three really isn't an effects thing. That's what in the industry is known as the "Bill Skarsgård Special." But it does indeed add to the "offness" of Pennywise.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Yeah I'm trying to avoid it but I'm getting super hyped about this. It is easily my favorite horror story and I loved both the book and the tv miniseries back in the day. All the trailers for this have looked like they've really tried to both do more than the miniseries while really hitting the atmosphere of the book. I really hope this is good because I think I'm going to be extremely bummed if they botched this after it looking so good so far.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BlackJosh posted:

All the trailers for this have looked like they've really tried to both do more than the miniseries while really hitting the atmosphere of the book.

I'm very confident in what I've seen so far, especially in the sense that you mentioned. Unless they blew their entire budget on the Georgie paper boat scene. Every single shot I've seen looks exactly like how I pictured the book in my head, which gives me a lot of hope. Getting Derry right is like 60-75% of the battle.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The drooling was really good.

When It snaps out of Its trance and realizes Its prey is about to slip away It swallows some drool in an attempt to recompose Itself and its soo freaky. Casting genius right here.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Fart City posted:

Spoiler three really isn't an effects thing. That's what in the industry is known as the "Bill Skarsgård Special." But it does indeed add to the "offness" of Pennywise.

I hope the movie makes 100 Billion dollars and that its really good, so that whoever casted Bill Skarsgard in the role in an insane stroke of genius gets a raise and a bigger home to live in.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
This is what a quality preview should be.

That entire scene captures PERFECTLY Georgie's encounter with IT from the books.

I'm glad that Sony has nothing to do with this and they won't get a thin dime but will get to see a quality Stephen King movie hopefully blow a box office wide open.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
it was cool how the eyes start yellow like a predator then are blue. i think thats in the book

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

joylessdivision posted:

Yep. I think they mentioned somewhere that the second part will deal with scenes we don't see in the first as part of the adults remembering, but the director (pretty sure it was an interview with him) mentioned they didn't shoot the movies back to back so he's praying none of the kids hit a growth spurt between films.

This is really dumb and doesn't give me a lot of hope for a sequel. I think I'll go mad as well if the first part is good, but doesn't make enough and a wonderful version of IT just remains forever unfinished...

edit:

Skip My Posts posted:

it was cool how the eyes start yellow like a predator then are blue. i think thats in the book

Yeah I loved this detail, straight out of the book.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maybe it's because I saw the trailer in D-Box, jackass that I am, but man this looks so good. I keep trying to find reasons to find something I don't like.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Anyone know of a mirror for that latest scene? The linked tumblr just comes up as not found for me, so presumably got pulled.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine
https://twitter.com/nick_soucy/status/895867348648837120

It's a bit shorter than the other one and filmed from another angle.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tom Guycot posted:

Newly leaked photo from the set:

Please, that clown wishes he could hold a candle to Buffo: The World's Strongest Clown

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I've come in here wringing my hands around their Pennywise a few times, and I'm pretty sold on that video. It's definitely not my read on Pennywise, but I like it nevertheless. Pennywise comes off as incredibly predator like. The way he warps George's insecurities and learns about Bill was unsettling.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but the performance reminds me a little bit of Vincent D'Onforio in Men in Black. He seems to have this slight discomfort talking and even maintaining his cartoon voice. He definitely feels like this larger creature stuffed into an approximation of a human being. I like the moment where it looks like George is seeing through the illusion. It is barely maintaining the Pennywise character.

I think Curry's performance is a smarter and more nuanced portrayal than the OP gives credit, but I have pretty high hopes for this.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

Rewatch #4: They turn yellow again when Georgie puts his arm within reach

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I've come in here wringing my hands around their Pennywise a few times, and I'm pretty sold on that video. It's definitely not my read on Pennywise, but I like it nevertheless. Pennywise comes off as incredibly predator like. The way he warps George's insecurities and learns about Bill was unsettling.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but the performance reminds me a little bit of Vincent D'Onforio in Men in Black. He seems to have this slight discomfort talking and even maintaining his cartoon voice. He definitely feels like this larger creature stuffed into an approximation of a human being. I like the moment where it looks like George is seeing through the illusion. It is barely maintaining the Pennywise character.

I think Curry's performance is a smarter and more nuanced portrayal than the OP gives credit, but I have pretty high hopes for this.

Actually, he sort of reminded me of Ledger's Joker, especially comparing that portrayal to Nicholson's along the same lines of comparing this Pennywise to Curry. Hope I worded that right.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Found it on 4chan, naturally. Full video from before: https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1502469774344.webm

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Oh man I am sold on this now.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

GoldenGun posted:

https://twitter.com/nick_soucy/status/895867348648837120

It's a bit shorter than the other one and filmed from another angle.

I really like the subtle "yes" Pennywise says after he introduces himself. It's so creepy

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
poo poo yes. I am so sold. The look didn't do it for me at first, but man, that is so creepy. And the 'yes', Jesus Christ the yes.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I'm coming round to the look now, I must confess. THe cold, blue eyes, the obscenely plump and red lips and the creepy-rear end delivery that seems like a sadistic and barely-restrained glee all work together real well in that clip.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Maybe it's because I saw the trailer in D-Box, jackass that I am, but man this looks so good. I keep trying to find reasons to find something I don't like.

It's mindboggling how incredible this looks so far. It doesn't make sense, does it?
Cinematically, it looks amazing, Pennywise, by some miracle, is working out insanely well, Derry is spot-on...
Can't wait!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I've watched that clip like 5x now.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Yeah I'm pretty sold on this, I've recently started reading the book for the first time in about 10 year's so have just read that scene and it pretty much nailed how it played out in my head......except in my head it was Tim Curry.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Annabelle 2 brought in $35 million this weekend, and I have to think that's a good sign for It next month as it shows a R rated horror can bring in good numbers. The trailer was shown before, and this one seems to have way more advance hype than Annabelle. As long as this movie is good it should have a good box office intake. It helps that it won't have much competition either. Take this with a grain of salt, but someone on Reddit said they saw it at a press screener and gave it a 9/10. They couldn't provide any details about it though because of an NDA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I am really struggling to stay away from the clip. Does it show the entire storm drain scene? I want to see as little as possible now but you're all making it very difficult.

• Locked thread