Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Hey guys, pro wrestling loving rules.

I'm almost envious of the people for who this was their first g-1. They chose a great year to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm really glad I decided to check out WK11 and decided to watch full time after Dominion.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What's the card for tomorrow? It's on super early here so it'd be great if I could skip some of the earlier matches and just tune in for the final.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Skinty McEdger posted:

I'm almost envious of the people for who this was their first g-1. They chose a great year to start.

This is my first time watching day to day instead of catching random highlights on dailymotion, it owns pretty hard

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Skinty McEdger posted:

I still have 11 full shows and everything from the last two shows except Naito/Tana and Omega/Okada to watch. :negative:

SO MUCH WRESTLING.

It's so good but there's SO MUCH.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
who is this bald man despy is leading to the ring

i love it he looks like the japanese bushwacker

okay so he's not very good it turns out but neither were the bushwackers

okay i take it back he has a tinfoil claw he's the greatest wrestler ive ever seen

shiksa fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 12, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

shiksa posted:

who is this bald man despy is leading to the ring

i love it he looks like the japanese bushwacker

okay so he's not very good it turns out but neither were the bushwackers

okay i take it back he has a tinfoil claw he's the greatest wrestler ive ever seen

He's basically the worst wrestler on Earth.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That match ruled, Kenny/Naito is gonna rule, the G1 rules.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

He's basically the worst wrestler on Earth.

It's a real competition between him and Enzo as the worst wrestler in a Major promotion

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

enzo is pretty good at selling, at least

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I walked around with a smile on my face for hours after watching Omega/Okada this morning. That's why I watch wrestling.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I love that despite the finals being predictable from the get go the tournament has still managed to be very enjoyable with a number of great surprises along the way.

I don't want to be too elitist, but I can't even imagine WWE putting together such a satisfying series of shows if they attempted a similar round robin format.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
WWE could do a round robin tournament in the fall, have the finals be at Survivor Series and have the winner challenge for the title at the Rumble and it'd be loving awesome.

Instead of waving the white flag in football season, maybe put on something really good. Just a thought. :shrug:

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

This is me. Before this is I'd watched this year's WK, Dominion and bits and pieces of BOSJ. I've watched every night of G1. Turns out New Japan is extremely good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's a real competition between him and Enzo as the worst wrestler in a Major promotion

It's a 4 way with Pierroth and Diamante Azul.

Except Pierroth owns.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

VJeff posted:

WWE could do a round robin tournament in the fall, have the finals be at Survivor Series and have the winner challenge for the title at the Rumble and it'd be loving awesome.

Instead of waving the white flag in football season, maybe put on something really good. Just a thought. :shrug:

A friend and I had a conversation about them doing something similar to this and decided the biggest barrier to it being successful is that they absolutely could not plan out a round robin tourney and stick to the booking plan over a period of weeks. Vince would change his mind on the winner 3 times throughout the tournament and they'd throw in something like a 6 man ladder match worth 10 points or some poo poo at the end to get his new pick to the final.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

oatgan posted:

enzo is pretty good at selling, at least

Well with Enzo, he's only really selling half the time. The other half he's legitimately injured himself doing something stupid.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Reminder that the Finals start earlier tomorrow at 2:00 EDT/7:00 BST. All that's announced besides the Final are two tag team title matches (War Machine(c) vs. Cody and Page for the Tag Titles and Bucks(c) vs. Ricochet and Taguchi for the jr tag equivalents)

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I'll say it - Omega/Okada has surpassed Flair/Steamboat as far as trilogies go. I loved how the story of this match played off of the last 8 months of both careers, but added the twist of the shorter time limit so Omega had to just blitz and do everything he could. I also especially love that Omega's win took the help of EVIL and Suzuki over the week so he still has an asterisk that he will want to erase come the fourth match.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Can we talk about how Kenny delivered the all time, no question, GREATEST uranage ever? Of all the moves these two have done to each other that was the coolest one to me.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

sigmachiev posted:

Can we talk about how Kenny delivered the all time, no question, GREATEST uranage ever? Of all the moves these two have done to each other that was the coolest one to me.

So, maybe this only has a weird connection in my mind because of old video games, but I remember back when Fire Pro didn't have a Rock Bottom and people wanted to make Rock edits, and there was a weird debate over whether it was better to use the STO or the Uranage.

Evil beats Okada with the Rainmaker into STO, and Kenny does basically the same counter but uses the uranage instead.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
that was one of the best uranages ive ever seen. god drat okada and kenny are just magical.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

VJeff posted:

And they could have the blocks be Raw and SmackDown to make the final a novel interbrand match to boot.

Besides Vince's whims, I'm not sure they could have competitive blocks without a bunch of DQ and countout finishes to protect the top guys.

And yeah that uranage was awesome. The wind-up v trigger was great too. Just a great match all around

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

And they could have the blocks be Raw and SmackDown to make the final a novel interbrand match to boot.

Besides Vince's whims, I'm not sure they could have competitive blocks without a bunch of DQ and countout finishes to protect the top guys.

And yeah that uranage was awesome. The wind-up v trigger was great too. Just a great match all around

It would also require them to show entirely too much wrestling for his wrestling shows. Sigh.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tournaments have historically not been draws in the US and round robin tournaments have been even harder to get over.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My favorite uranage is Bray's, but yeah, Kenny's was loving magical.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Tournaments have historically not been draws in the US and round robin tournaments have been even harder to get over.

Is that inherent, or because most tournaments in the US big leagues tend to rely on 3 minute matches and lovely finishes that get no-one over? The CWC was a decent viewership draw on the Network, and wasn't the Bound For Glory Series moderately successful for TNA until they inevitably hosed it up?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah I have to believe if the concept of your tournament was "loving awesome matches on a regular basis with massive stakes at the end", it'd get over pretty guldurn easy.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I want the Young Bucks to keep working the moonsault spot in different and unique ways in all of their Multiman matches in New Japan now

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Full card's out!

G1 Climax Finals
August 13th at 2:00 EDT/7:00 BST
Sumo Hall

KUSHIDA, Liger, TMIV, and Kawato vs. Suzuki-gun (Taichi, Desperado, Kanemaru, and TAKA)
Yuji Nagata and Manabu Nakanishi vs. Guerrilas of Destiny
Togi Makabe and David Finlay vs. CHAOS (Hirooki Goto and YOSHI-HASHI)
TenCozy and Juice Robinson vs. Bullet Club (Fale, Yujiro, and Chase)
IWGP Jr Tag Championship Match: Young Bucks(c) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi and Ricochet
IWGP Tag Championship Match:War Machine(c) vs. Bullet Club (Cody and Hangman Page)
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kota Ibushi, and Michael Elgin vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Zack Sabre Jr, and Takashi Iizuka)
CHAOS (Okada, Ishii, YTR, and Gedo) vs. L.I.J (EVIL, SANADA, Hiromu, and BUSHI)
G1 Climax Final:Tetsuya Naito vs. Kenny Omega

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't that literally the same opening 8 man as today's show?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kota Ibushi, and Michael Elgin vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Zack Sabre Jr, and Takashi Iizuka)

"Oh this should be fun, 5 of the best wrestlers in the company and ... IIzuka??? :catstare:"

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

On the one hand that six man teases a future IC match between ZSJ and Tana.

On the other, could it be foreshadowing Elgin or Ibushi for the openweight?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Is that inherent, or because most tournaments in the US big leagues tend to rely on 3 minute matches and lovely finishes that get no-one over? The CWC was a decent viewership draw on the Network, and wasn't the Bound For Glory Series moderately successful for TNA until they inevitably hosed it up?

I would struggle to call the BFG series moderately successful.

The Iron Man concept at Starrcade 89 was a major flop.

The Team Challenge Series was obviously a flop even before it became tremendously stupid.

KOTR was a PPV flop, and then when brought back as a free TV thing it didn't draw viewers.

Then there's all the WCW tournaments no one cared about.

On a limited basis with a series that promised a lot of great matches the CWC did well for a Network show, but it's an exception to a long history of flops.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

It can be both, can't it? Elgin and Suzuki brawl to the back, while ZSJ and Tanahashi go at it in the ring and... I dunno, Ibushi does flips over IIzuka's gimmick fingers?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

I would struggle to call the BFG series moderately successful.

The Iron Man concept at Starrcade 89 was a major flop.

The Team Challenge Series was obviously a flop even before it became tremendously stupid.

KOTR was a PPV flop, and then when brought back as a free TV thing it didn't draw viewers.

Then there's all the WCW tournaments no one cared about.

On a limited basis with a series that promised a lot of great matches the CWC did well for a Network show, but it's an exception to a long history of flops.

The CWC was its own dedicated thing. WWE booking is too spastic to run the tournament properly (e.g., dedicating at least a month's Smackdowns and Raws to the matches) in the same way the G1 runs. And they would never dedicate half of 18 shows to it the way New Japan does.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Feels like we're going to get some LIJ/Bullet Club fuckery in tonight's finals. It's been a while since they did run-ins during a major main event (that affected the outcome), and I could see this being the night Cody turns on Kenny to cost him the match, or maybe Ibushi somehow gets involved, or something so Kenny doesn't lose clean.

E: Actually, Ibushi coming out and distracting Kenny would be the first time in ages I'd be happy with a distraction finish.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 13, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

Elgin surely, he beat Suzuki in the G1. Ibushi beat both Tanahashi and ZSJ too, so he could be in there to tease a match with a winner of a ZSJ/Tana match.

There's plenty of setting up future matches people have been speculating about as well as ZSJ/Tana and Suzuki/Elgin. EVIL/Okada looks likely based on that card too. Juice fighting Bullet Club could be leading to Juice vs Kenny for the US title.

Desperado/KUSHIDA too but that's all but confirmed at this point.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I'll say it - Omega/Okada has surpassed Flair/Steamboat as far as trilogies go. I loved how the story of this match played off of the last 8 months of both careers, but added the twist of the shorter time limit so Omega had to just blitz and do everything he could. I also especially love that Omega's win took the help of EVIL and Suzuki over the week so he still has an asterisk that he will want to erase come the fourth match.

It definitely meant more for business, that's for sure. One of the matches didn't happen on a Clash of the Champions that literally nobody watched because it wasn't promoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

sigmachiev posted:

Feels like we're going to get some LIJ/Bullet Club fuckery in tonight's finals. It's been a while since they did run-ins during a major main event (that affected the outcome), and I could see this being the night Cody turns on Kenny to cost him the match, or maybe Ibushi somehow gets involved, or something so Kenny doesn't lose clean.

E: Actually, Ibushi coming out and distracting Kenny would be the first time in ages I'd be happy with a distraction finish.

This is only acceptable if Ibushi doesn't distract him out of malice, he's just chasing a butterfly or something.

"Oh sorry I didn't notice you guys having a match I just wanted to put fireworks in my butt."

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 13, 2017

• Locked thread