Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Dr Mysterio is about a comic book fan, which I think is a link people miss when talking about it.

The whole last half-hour of Death In heaven just destroys me, it's like Chekov's damned Assault Rifle. From the moment Missy says "who else but the girl who's got your number?" it's just payoff after payoff. I think my favourite moment has to be Missy throwing the Doctor's earlier taunts back in his face: "There's only way you can stop these clouds from opening up and killing all your little pets down here: conquer the universe, Mister President!"

That scene and the volcano scene of Dark Water make that almost my favourite finale, though nothing's really going to beat out Pandorica/Big Bang. If nyou include Last Christmas and think of it as a three-parter though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ok but it's still an attempt at a one for one remake of that one film by noted idiot Steven Moffat who fucks it all up

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What if the ghostbusters in the reboot were actually big fans of ghostbusters the movie but then sort of accidentally stumbled into recreating all the events of the original but worse and it was never even acknowledged that that was what happened

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Moffat ins't an idiot he's an insane scottish goblin

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man I went into a big rant about that loving christmas special

What a piece of poo poo.

I just can't care about it now. I'm sure if I saw it again, I'd have all kinds of bile to throw at it but really, what a piece of a poo poo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What if star wars 7 just recreated pretty much every plot beat from the original but worse and starred characters who knew about the events of the old ones and even brought back some of the old characters but nobody ever pointed out the similarities

Wait maybe that's a bad hypothetical

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

2house2fly posted:

Moffat ins't an idiot he's an insane scottish goblin

Okay, maybe Sylvester's more of an imp.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Flatline is ok. The visual effects are really cool. I still prefer Mummy over it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dabir posted:

What if star wars 7 just recreated pretty much every plot beat from the original but worse and starred characters who knew about the events of the old ones and even brought back some of the old characters but nobody ever pointed out the similarities

Wait maybe that's a bad hypothetical

i think you'll find leia says THERE'LL BE ANOTHER WEAK SPOT PROBABLY at one point so its very knowing and clever

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Mummy is better than Flatline, but mostly just because Mummy has a better supporting cast and the ending really redeems the character arc for Capaldi which, up to that point, wasn't very good.

Also, I'm gonna out myself as someone who doesn't think The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang is a good ending. I'm sorry.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Mummy is better than Flatline, but mostly just because Mummy has a better supporting cast and the ending really redeems the character arc for Capaldi which, up to that point, wasn't very good.

Also, I'm gonna out myself as someone who doesn't think The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang is a good ending. I'm sorry.

It's

Okay. I never got the love for it either. I guess it was just, finally, an ending that isn't filled with really stupid poo poo!

It's worse in retrospect because of how things played out, I think. On its own, it's fine.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Burkion posted:

I guess it was just, finally, an ending that isn't filled with really stupid poo poo!

I would argue that almost everything that happens in the second half is stupid poo poo, the kind of poo poo that Moffat would be lambasted for once season 6 rolled in. No consequences, weird preference for one-liners in lieu of character development, THE DOCTOR being treated as the MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN THE UNIVERSE, etc. etc.

The following ending was a lot worse, but I feel like everything started there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
season arcs suck

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hm...

A Series made up of individual standalone episodes with little tying them together would be interesting to see

Take a note from the Audios and Comics I suppose

I suspect that it'd require a slightly above-average budget, however, since ideally each episode would take place in a different planet/universe/reality

Meanwhile, Classic Who somehow managed to pull that off with a fraction of whatever the current budget is, which is baffling

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mymla posted:

I think we can all agree that Heaven Sent is the Best Doctor Who episode, though.

It's not even top twenty

docbeard posted:

...I'd put World Enough And Time/The Doctor Falls above Heaven Sent, honestly. (And I liked Clara so there.)

It's not even top two hundred

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The Mummy episode was rad because of that cover of Dont stop me now and the rest of it.
Come to think of it, 'that mummy episode' could refer to so many.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just recently rewatched Oxygen for that dual write-up thread Lick the Whisk! and I are doing (shameful plug) and goddamn it is a strong episode. The Doctor making GBS threads all over capitalism is absolutely wonderful too - I love left-wing old man professor-with-tenure Doctor and his gay black female star pupil. :allears:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I love left-wing old man professor-with-tenure Doctor and his gay black female star pupil. :allears:

Who then later on "transitions" into a woman.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Eh, you don't need to apologise.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Dr Mysterio is about a comic book fan, which I think is a link people miss when talking about it.

The whole last half-hour of Death In heaven just destroys me, it's like Chekov's damned Assault Rifle. From the moment Missy says "who else but the girl who's got your number?" it's just payoff after payoff. I think my favourite moment has to be Missy throwing the Doctor's earlier taunts back in his face: "There's only way you can stop these clouds from opening up and killing all your little pets down here: conquer the universe, Mister President!"

That scene and the volcano scene of Dark Water make that almost my favourite finale, though nothing's really going to beat out Pandorica/Big Bang. If nyou include Last Christmas and think of it as a three-parter though...

Yeah, that last half hour (barring Cyberbrig) is really nice. The volcano scene is good, but it's the scene that follows it that really makes it work. The long pause after Clara asks what happens next, her "Fair enough. Absolutely fair enough!" when he says "Go to hell," the whole thing. It doesn't redeem all the mean Doctor stuff from earlier in the season, but it does help put it all to rest.

I really wonder if the young woman in Last Christmas was a new companion in an earlier draft. Jenna seems to sort of go back and forth on signing on for season 9 for a bit. Obviously the episode as it stands is about resolving some stuff between Clara and the Doctor, but it feels like there are remnants of a very different episode in there somewhere. I'm watching it now and enjoying the Nick Frost comedy.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I love how brazen that "go to hell" line is. Yeah we're going to Hell. What did you think I meant?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
UNIT took the old girl out of mothballs again, and now she can be yours!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I just recently rewatched Oxygen for that dual write-up thread Lick the Whisk! and I are doing (shameful plug) and goddamn it is a strong episode. The Doctor making GBS threads all over capitalism is absolutely wonderful too - I love left-wing old man professor-with-tenure Doctor and his gay black female star pupil. :allears:

Whoa whoa whoa! Bill was GAY?!?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

corn in the bible posted:

season arcs suck

Well, the way they've been used on Who has been kinda ropy, but usually shows with season arcs have a writers room, so there's that.
I personally think Series 9's arc worked really well, because it was character-driven. The Hybrid was a season-long red herring/metaphor. season 10 was also more character than plot. in general, Moffat's run with Capaldi has leaned less on plot pyrotechnics than on character beats. like The Time of the Doctor got that out of Moffat's system, mostly.

I think it might be interesting for the show to have a "one-thing-leads-to-another" type of season, where every episode has a direct connection to the previous one. Or that there's a whole season long goal that the Doctor actively pursues. Maybe every adventure the Doctor and companion/s get up to is a roadblock along the way to the desired destination.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Last Christmas is a really great episode too. Moffat has his writing quirks that irritate me, but his addiction to manufactured/layered realities definitely isn't one of them. It's one of the great strengths of science fiction, I think, that it can posit these kinds of scenarios about how our brains perceive reality. This one is particularly good for a Christmas special, and just about the only complaint I have with it is that the old age makeup is really, really bad on Clara. Normally, I think the makeup and costuming is pretty decent for their budget, but honestly, aging makeup isn't hard. I can do it, if I'm given half the opportunity to work with the lighting and cinematography people.

The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar are also pretty good, I think. They have the following flaws: (1) those are some terrible titles. (2) One of the Moffat writing quirks that does grate on me is the 20 minutes of external characters saying vague, mystical prophecy things and/or hero worship with a sense of pending doom about the Doctor. At least he avoided the nursery rhymes this time. If I hadn't been marathoning a rewatch, I think the tank with the guitar scene would have amused me (in fact, I bet if I went through my posts, I'd find that it did), but it feels like paint-by-the-numbers. Even more annoying is the Sisterhood of Karn and the sequence of the snake colony interrogating people. I'd say, on a rewatch, that trying to artificially build suspense is one of one of my major complaints with the era. It also sort of feels like UNIT and a planetary crisis was involved just because this was a premiere (although I do like when Missy hijacks the computers and comes out as a huge, Zordon-like face).

Anyway, once they get to Skaro, I really like it. I think it actually earns the callback to Genesis of the Daleks with the Doctor's decision to save Davros. I love the interactions between Missy and Clara (my favorite is the story she tells about the Doctor being hunted by invincible invisible androids). I love almost any scene with the Doctor and Davros. There's a lot about Twelve's interactions with the Daleks that makes me think of Four and Capaldi is really, really good at it. Basically, something I like about season 9 is that Clara and the Doctor's chemistry works way, way more immediately.

Under the Lake and Before the Flood feels kind of like a snoozer, though. It's unfortunate. They have a lot going for them as episodes, but they just drag. It feels like nothing is happening and they can't make the mystery into a hook.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing about "The Magician's Apprentice" / "The Witch's Familiar" I enjoyed was the joke someone made in the thread when they came out about how if RTD had written them, Colony Saarf would've made off-hand jokes about his camp brother from Yorkshire, Colony Noorf.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The best part of the Magician's Apprentice episodes is the prequel tbh

quote:

OHILA: He has asked to see you. His servants seek you everywhere. Will you go?
DOCTOR: No.
OHILA: Why do you always lie?
DOCTOR: Why do you always assume I'm lying?
OHILA: It saves time. The truth - will you go?
OHILA: When?
DOCTOR: Soon.
OHILA: Why? Did something happen?
OHILA: Was it recent?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Magician/Witch are some of my favorite stuff Moffat's ever done, and that's not to say that there aren't any flaws, just that I don't especially care about those flaws.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's also got The Only Other Chair On Skaro.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

It's also got The Only Other Chair On Skaro.

This and 'You are not a very good doctor' are both top comedy bits.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
"Let's cut to the chase: not dead, back, big surprise."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TinTower posted:

"Let's cut to the chase: not dead, back, big surprise."

I liked that they only did the bare minimum necessary to cover the Simm incarnation's appearance too.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It was a mutual kicking me out! :mad:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 14, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

docbeard posted:

Magician/Witch are some of my favorite stuff Moffat's ever done, and that's not to say that there aren't any flaws, just that I don't especially care about those flaws.

Ha, it's the exact opposite for me. I don't know if they're my least favourite of his episodes, but they're bottom 5 for sure

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I also like the long "Conjecture" the Doctor has about Davros, followed by "Conclusion: I'm definitely having his chair!" shortly before he spins it in circles in the middle of a horde of Daleks.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

Flatline is superb, and just edges out Mummy on the Orient Express overall for me. But the moment in Mummy when the 12th Doctor "arrives" is astonishingly great. Pushing that woman to the brink of misery/despair and then putting the "gun" to his head and transferring everything she is feeling to himself, then using the 60 seconds to solve the mystery and defuse the threat.... :discourse:

12 finally clicked for me when he was legitimately disgusted Clara had to double check whether or not he let everyone on the train die at the end. The scene with her and the TARDIS keys is the less subtle version, but after that one, I started to "get" where they were taking him.

Twelve really has gone through the cycle C Bakes wanted six to go through. He's going to be the first Doctor in a long while whose character arc feels really complete. Like, I'm sure Capaldi could still find another gear and be incredible, but there's not this sudden break like the past. It actually feels like the right time to change roles.

How much of that is me getting pumped about Whittaker though I don't know :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gaz-L posted:

I liked that they only did the bare minimum necessary to cover the Simm incarnation's appearance too.

Much as I love Missy, twelve's exchange with Simm's Master at the very beginning where he basically sums up his entire modus operandi though the years to a T and then calls his face round and stupid is probably the doctor/Master exchange I'll remember most from this era.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

drat shame we'll never get more Davros/Twelve ham-offs

The Doctor essentially running rings around Davros was absolutely delightful and their quiet scene was quite moving as well

The ending I'm a little mixed on, but they're enjoyable nonetheless

"Between us and him is everything the deadliest race in all of history can throw at us. We, on the other hand, have a pointy stick."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

This and 'You are not a very good doctor' are both top comedy bits.

As a pun fiend, I also enjoyed "Your sewers are revolting"

• Locked thread