Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH

I THOUGHT HE WAS GONNA COUNTER INTO OWA AFTER KICKING OUT OF THAT LAST DESTINO

FUUUUUUUUUCK :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

well booked match, was almost certain naito was gonna win and i really thought kenny might take it there at several points. g1 is heaven, god bless njpw king of sport.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Hard to imagine three better days of wrestling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ahahaha, Naito you glorious dick

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mr. Swoon posted:

Good loving god. It's really unfair to every other wrestler that all the MOTY choices are going to be Kenny Omega matches.

Calling it now, Kenny and Okada have so many match of the year candidates that it splits the vote and some random bland as gently caress WWE match gets the nod.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
ASMR Tetsuya Naito saying "buenos noches" 10 hours

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I unintentionally woke up just in time for the main event and I'm glad I did. Hell of a match! The messed up piledriver and the sort of DDT into the ring post were super ugly and I'm glad both guys seem to have survived.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I liked that Naito thanked his dickhead mates despite them being villainous dickheads.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fist bump for Darryl!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

Fist bump for Darryl!

DAR-YL FOR-EV-ER

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chono gets the LIJ seal of approval :hellyeah:

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
I love Naito so much and I love wrestling so much right now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So just from a Rowdy Ringsports POV, this tournament produced:

9 Match of the Year Candidates (3 with Kenny Omega, 3 with Naito, 4 with Okada)
27 Honorable Mentions

It was a pretty loving great tournament!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

that currently has Okada/Shibata beat out for my MOTY. I have no clue what I'd pick for no 3

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My top 3 is currently:

Okada/Omega II
Okada/Omega I
Okada/Omega III

I'm starting to see the vaguest semblance of a pattern emerging!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/896698515799199745

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
They're ether going to have incredible matches or gently caress and I can't wait to see ether.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Give me a list of the best matches from the tournament I finally have time to watch them.

Edit: please

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

I finally have time to watch them.

Don't be so certain!

Here are what people here have nominated for this G1 as MOTYCs

07/17 | Kota Ibushi vs Tetsuya Naito - G1 Climax Night 1
07/21 | Zach Sabre Jr vs Kota Ibushi - G1 Climax Night 3
07/22 | Kazuchika Okada vs Michael Elgin - G1 Climax Night 4
07/27 | Kenny Omega vs Michael Elgin - G1 Climax Night 8
08/05 | Kazuchika Okada vs EVIL - G1 Climax Night 14
08/08 | Kazuchika Okada vs Minoru Suzuki - G1 Climax Night 16
08/11 | Tetsuya Naito vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - G1 Climax Block A Finals
08/12 | Kazuchika Okada vs Kenny Omega - G1 Climax Block B Finals
08/13 | Tetsuya Naito vs Kenny Omega - G1 Climax Final

Here is what people here have nominated for this G1 as Honorable Mentions/Matches you should try your best to see:

07/17 | Yugi Nagata vs Yoshi-Hashi - G1 Climax Night 1
07/17 | Hirooki Goto vs Tomohiro Ishii - G1 Climax Night 1
07/17 | Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Zack Sabre Jr - G1 Climax Night 1
07/20 | SANADA vs EVIL - G1 Climax Night 2
07/20 | Kenny Omega vs Minoru Suzuki - G1 Climax Night 2
07/21 | Tetsuya Naito vs YOSHI-HASHI - G1 Climax Night 3
07/21 | Yugi Nagata vs Hirooki Goto - G1 Climax Night 3
07/21 | Togi Makabe vs. Tomohiro Ishii - G1 Climax Night 3
07/23 | Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Yuji Nagata - G1 Climax Night 5
07/23 | Kota Ibushi vs Tomohiro Ishii - G1 Climax Night 5
07/25 | Kenny Omega vs Toru Yano - G1 Climax Night 6
07/25 | Kazuchika Okada vs SANADA - G1 Climax Night 6
07/27 | Kazuchika Okada vs Satoshi Kojima - G1 Climax Night 8
07/30 | Kazuchika Okada vs Juice Robinson - G1 Climax Night 10
07/30 | Michael Elgin vs SANADA - G1 Climax Night 10
08/01 | Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kota Ibushi - G1 Climax Night 11
08/01 | Yuji Nagata vs Tomohiro Ishii - G1 Climax Night 11
08/02 | Kenny Omega vs EVIL - G1 Climax Night 12
08/04 | Tomohiri Ishii vs Bad Luck Fale - G1 Climax Night 13
08/05 | Kenny Omega vs Juice Robinson - G1 Climax Night 14
08/08 | Michael Elgin vs EVIL - G1 Climax Night 16
08/08 | Kenny Omega vs SANADA - G1 Climax Night 16
08/11 | Yuji Nagata vs Bad Luck Fale - G1 Climax Block A Finals
08/11 | Tomohiro Ishii vs ZSJ - G1 Climax Block A Finals
08/11 | Hirooki Goto vs Kota Ibushi - G1 Climax Block A Finals
08/12 | Michael Elgin vs Juice Robinson - G1 Climax Block B Finals
08/13 | The Young Bucks (C) vs Taguchi and Ricochet for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Titles - G1 Climax Final

This is the best wrestling tournament I have ever seen in my life.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Watch every Juice match to experience a fantastic journey.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

What did Big Dave think of the finals though -

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/896679378456764417

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/896677218142740480

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Skinty McEdger posted:

Watch every EVIL match to experience a fantastic journey.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
So many thoughts but biggest to me:

- Main event was incredible, but I've hit my limit with head drops. There were some truly brutal moves in that match. That post spot in particular, if it was planned, wasn't thought out well; the angle and gravity involved would mean a miss by even a couple inches and both go completely tumbling to the outside and almost impossible to have control in landing on the floor. Looked like both came away from the match relatively unscathed which is a minor miracle.

- I need to see this Ibushi/Kenny interaction. I wanted to Kenny to win but I'm at peace with it since it's becoming more and more obvious we're getting this match at WK.

- Shibata comeback was the cherry on top. I don't think it was shown in the English feed? Weird.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Somehow in maybe the greatest G1 ever, the greatest moment was a non-wrestling segment.

Shibata. :shobon:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

sigmachiev posted:

So many thoughts but biggest to me:

- Main event was incredible, but I've hit my limit with head drops. There were some truly brutal moves in that match. That post spot in particular, if it was planned, wasn't thought out well; the angle and gravity involved would mean a miss by even a couple inches and both go completely tumbling to the outside and almost impossible to have control in landing on the floor. Looked like both came away from the match relatively unscathed which is a minor miracle.

- I need to see this Ibushi/Kenny interaction. I wanted to Kenny to win but I'm at peace with it since it's becoming more and more obvious we're getting this match at WK.

- Shibata comeback was the cherry on top. I don't think it was shown in the English feed? Weird.

-I'm not sure anything tops the 'oh gently caress' of Ibushis pilederiver from the second rope early on in G1, but that post spot comes close

-Same

-Shibata entrance was definitely in the english feed

Actually..what's everyones personal favourite spot/sequence from the G1? Shibata not being dead kinda tops it for me, and Kenny busting out Croyts wrath for what seemed like the first time in forever, such a hoss move.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Anyone have full translations of what Shibata said and Naito's promo?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

My two favourite moments just off the top of my head involve Okada getting his rear end kicked. First, is him and Suzuki just smacking each other for like 10 minutes. Second, is Kenny trying to murder him with the dragon on the apron followed by a million knees.
Like someone just said, Okada is so good at simultaneously looking strong and getting his rear end kicked. His selling and demeanour makes his opponent look like a million bucks while also maintaining his own strength. I love Okada and he is the best. I am full fanboy.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Anyone have full translations of what Shibata said and Naito's promo?

Shibata: "I'm alive. That is all."

Seriously. Shibata owns.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

BWV posted:

Like someone just said, Okada is so good at simultaneously looking strong and getting his rear end kicked. His selling and demeanour makes his opponent look like a million bucks while also maintaining his own strength. I love Okada and he is the best. I am full fanboy.

I feel like this is a big part of why, despite Okada being probably the best wrestler in the world, he goes into just about every title defense with the majority of those watching hoping - and believing! - that the other guy will pull it off

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It really hit home during the last week how important the tombstone is to Okada's finishing sequence. It really adds variety to the different set ups and feels to his nearfalls. During the last sequence of Naito/Omega it felt very samey when in both cases it's just nearfalls off one basic finisher.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

undertaker vs michaels 1 and 2 were 2009 and 2010 and okada started in tna in 2010 which is apparently when alex shelley got him into watching tape

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

sigmachiev posted:

That definitely wasn't a planned spot. It looked Kenny's left foot slipped off the rope and he just managed to catch himself on the apron. He had a very concerned look on his face after that spot, and if you notice Matt Jackson's reaction in the lower right corner of the screen, that also looked like legit shock.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Germansimp posted:

That definitely wasn't a planned spot. It looked Kenny's left foot slipped off the rope and he just managed to catch himself on the apron. He had a very concerned look on his face after that spot, and if you notice Matt Jackson's reaction in the lower right corner of the screen, that also looked like legit shock.

It wasn't a botch, come on. It was a perfectly executed, well done spot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it was a blatant DDT into the post. Stupid, but worked. Same as the piledriver on the table. The replay makes it obvious that Naito knew he was going to the floor.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
I too cried for Shibata. Used to not get him when I first started watching but learned to love it and am happy to see him and Honma back on their feet.

This G1 was amazing. I love big match pro wrestling and NJPW never fails to deliver the biggest and the best. Okada. Omega. Naito. Amazing.

Love that in order to beat the New Bucks, a team had to counter their top rope jumps. Who better than Ricochet?? Good to see serious Taguchi again too.

VERY happy that War Machine won and apparently will be in NJPW for a while yet. They busted rear end in that match! I'm sure K.E.S will take the belts soon but whatever. Should be great.

Also, sorry to hear about your PC Thauros, hope you recover. Your efforts add a lot to the NJPW energy here on SA.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I'm unironically a NJPW fanboy.

This year is literally the best year of wrestling I've ever seen and 99.9% of it has come from them.

The heavyweight division is packed.
The tag division is stacked.
The JR division is incredible.
The Young Lions are promising.
Nagata.

The only down point is the JR tag division but that always been hosed

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Don't be so certain!

Here are what people here have nominated for this G1 as MOTYCs

Here is what people here have nominated for this G1 as Honorable Mentions/Matches you should try your best to see:

I did a ctrl+F "yano" on this post and was pleased with the result.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i was doing other nerdy poo poo all weekend so i just got a chance to watch the last 3 shows back to back to back and hoo boy njpw rules real hard

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thrifting Day! posted:

I'm unironically a NJPW fanboy.

This year is literally the best year of wrestling I've ever seen and 99.9% of it has come from them.

The heavyweight division is packed.
The tag division is stacked.
The JR division is incredible.
The Young Lions are promising.
Nagata.

The only down point is the JR tag division but that always been hosed

The heavyweight tag division is stacked but the Jr tag division is hosed? Both have three teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

The heavyweight tag division is stacked but the Jr tag division is hosed? Both have three teams.

KES
War Machine
GOD
Tencozy
Ishii/Yano

All have held it this year. Could conceivable add The Briscoes.

e: not KES. But that'll probably be solved soon.

• Locked thread