Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

KakerMix posted:

Yo guys watch me post

I'm posting

Impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
:justpost:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

iRend posted:

Playing GOLF on my stream over the next few hours, except for when I make a steak.

Watch it and then buy it because apparently GOLF 2 sucks a bit. The link is in my profile.

Yes this is what i do instead of pinball now.

Until FX3 comes out.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Also, unless it's Wold Tour GOLF, it's not really worth watching anyway.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Det_no posted:

Was browsing the specials section and found this little game called Lost Technology. It immediately reminded me of something like Dragon Force, which I always wanted to play, mixed with something like Dominions 4 so I bought it immediately.

Several of us bought it over the weekend based solely on a corn in the Bible screenshot of a pianist frog.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

John Murdoch posted:

I'm not necessarily saying solo is strictly better, but co-op seems to introduce a lot of compounding elements that make parts of the game way more of a pain than they should've been.

Admittedly, in the case of BL1 especially, back in the day me and my co-op partners were not aware of the finer details of how guns worked because the game does a poo poo job at explaining things. So imagine thinking that, for instance, lightning weapons are functionally useless if you're not shooting at something with a shield, sticking with 1-2 weapon types per person due to weapon XP and classes suggesting you do so, and being forced to split the drop pool four ways regardless.

yeah that's one of the huge flaws of BL1 I have to admit, is the weapon XP system that really, really wants you to pick a weapon type. Good news, though, that means you're never competing for weapon drops.

Shock weapons are worthless except at one specific point in the game, explosive weapons are basically always worthless. Raw Damage is best, followed by fire and then chem, unless you're in one specific area and then you definitely need chem unless you've got a super-powered damage gun and even then you probably want chem.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Borderlands is one of those series where 2 is enough of an improvement over 1 that I can't imagine going back.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

il_cornuto posted:

Borderlands is one of those series where 2 is enough of an improvement over 1 that I can't imagine going back.

Borderlands 2's flaws are much more fundamentally rooted in the weaponry/health scaling than Borderlands 1
fake edit: they are both good games but if borderlands 1 did away with weapon XP it would be a lot, lot better

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Dishonored 2 did not (and will not?) get any regular DLC, just the "Kill the Outsider" standalone expansion, is this correct?

Asking because it's currently on sale on Gamesplanet and I don't want to fall into the "DLC will never be cheaper than the GOTY edition released 6 months later on" trap.

Of course, no one's stopping them from bundling the full game and the standalone sometime down the road.

Having finished Dishonored just a couple of weeks ago, I'm tempted to get DH2.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You are correct.

Is that Lost Technology game actually fun to play on a tactical/strategic level? Getting Total War: Animes vibe off it.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Captain Foo posted:

Borderlands 2's flaws are much more fundamentally rooted in the weaponry/health scaling than Borderlands 1
fake edit: they are both good games but if borderlands 1 did away with weapon XP it would be a lot, lot better

Borderlands 2's scaling flaws don't really manifest until you push past level 60, which only happens on very optional third playthroughs with the same character. As long as you don't have a burning desire to engage with the "raid" bosses/overleveling, there's zero reason to engage in the bullshit high level play.

Within the window of levels that the game actually shipped with, there are Valid Reasons for the scaling to function the way it does, and it basically works. It kills the problem the first had where you'll pick up a copy of that legendary acid revolver at level 30ish and never need to switch weapons again.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
My experience with Borderlands 2 scaling:

There is a mechanic where enemies that are too high level for you will have a skull over their head.

I did not notice this mechanic until I tried doing an optional raid boss postgame, and got a tutorial popup about it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

betamax hipster posted:

Borderlands 2's scaling flaws don't really manifest until you push past level 60, which only happens on very optional third playthroughs with the same character. As long as you don't have a burning desire to engage with the "raid" bosses/overleveling, there's zero reason to engage in the bullshit high level play.

Within the window of levels that the game actually shipped with, there are Valid Reasons for the scaling to function the way it does, and it basically works. It kills the problem the first had where you'll pick up a copy of that legendary acid revolver at level 30ish and never need to switch weapons again.

nah the scaling crushes you at level 46, on the stairs where you approach the close-to-final area

also it's super great to pick up a hunting shotgun and have it carry you for 17 levels. I've done a lot of playthroughs of blands 1, and that feeling is a lot better than finding what looks like a super great weapon only to have it be outclassed by a random white in three levels because of the scaling

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

nah the scaling crushes you at level 46, on the stairs where you approach the close-to-final area

also it's super great to pick up a hunting shotgun and have it carry you for 17 levels. I've done a lot of playthroughs of blands 1, and that feeling is a lot better than finding what looks like a super great weapon only to have it be outclassed by a random white in three levels because of the scaling

I thought borderlands 2 was okay with the drops up until I got diablo 3 with the expansion a few years ago and now it feels like that's the bar for loot games to me. A guaranteed legendary item every so often. In borderlands 1 and 2 I regularly found myself sticking with the one gun for a long time and I think ultimately you're stuck with Torgue at the end. I don't know if it'd still work but last time I played I used a cheat engine table to buff the drops because the gold chest really isn't a reasonable alternative, regardless of how prolific and numerous the SHIFT codes are. At that point I found I was regularly getting upgrades. With Borderlands, for me at least, half of my inventory is clogged up with guns I don't use, but keep for comparison

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

mcbexx posted:

Dishonored 2 did not (and will not?) get any regular DLC, just the "Kill the Outsider" standalone expansion, is this correct?

Asking because it's currently on sale on Gamesplanet and I don't want to fall into the "DLC will never be cheaper than the GOTY edition released 6 months later on" trap.

Of course, no one's stopping them from bundling the full game and the standalone sometime down the road.

Having finished Dishonored just a couple of weeks ago, I'm tempted to get DH2.

I think you are OK to get DH2 right now if the price is OK with you. DH1 never got a "GOTY" edition. They released the 3 DLC and none of them were standalone. Bethesda's decision to make DH2's DLC a standalone expansion I think speaks volumes about how likely we are to get more DH2 DLC (we aren't).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Am I late to the West of Loathing party? Cause West of Loathing is funny and cool.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Popete posted:

Am I late to the West of Loathing party? Cause West of Loathing is funny and cool.

It's the GOTY for me by far. It's kinda easy and some of the puzzles are annoying but everything else is fantastic. I can't think of many games that react to the players actions as much as this one does.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Would you recommend West of Loathing for someone who hasn't played KoL for years and even then only a bit?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It has the exact same feel as the browser game without the limited actions per day and its less grindy. Also everything is animated and drawn rather than static pictures and drop down menus

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Borderlands 2's scaling issues are definitely visible by the end of TVHM/level 50, they're just actually tolerable at that point. I had a lot of fun with it at level 50 and collecting oranges, and all the DLCs through dragon keep were enjoyable. Ultimate slag hunter mode was where I said gently caress this, who on earth thought this was a good idea.

Nonlinear scaling can work, it just only works up to a point for obvious reasons, and they were already marching past that point at level 50. Adding more levels on top of that was a massive mistake.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

il_cornuto posted:

Would you recommend West of Loathing for someone who hasn't played KoL for years and even then only a bit?

I only just heard about KoL and WoL last week from the Idle Thumbs Podcast, I tried KoL for all of 10 minutes before picking up WoL and it's a lot of fun. I don't think the two are really connected in anyways besides similar art/humor styles.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Great, I have good enough memories of KoL's humour to wishlist that then.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Well, what's the loving point then?

Took me ages to realise the toy crossbow takes out Cystoids.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Popete posted:

I only just heard about KoL and WoL last week from the Idle Thumbs Podcast, I tried KoL for all of 10 minutes before picking up WoL and it's a lot of fun. I don't think the two are really connected in anyways besides similar art/humor styles.

West does have some references to KoL (they share the same universe), but they don't feel out-of-place or anything.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 14, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SelenicMartian posted:

Well, what's the loving point then?

Took me ages to realise the toy crossbow takes out Cystoids.

Not to knock your corn in the bibling, but what game is this?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Not to knock your corn in the bibling, but what game is this?

The new Prey, AKA System Shock 3.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

VolticSurge posted:

The new Prey, AKA System Shock 3.

Ah, thank you! Someday I'll be ready to be terrified and I'll pick it up.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Anti-Hero posted:

DH1 never got a "GOTY" edition.

The "Definitive Edition" includes all DH1 content in one package.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It stops being scary the moment you realize just how many tools you have at your disposal; unless you're playing on the highest difficulty, the aliens turn from terrifying to comically inept in like six hours tops - definitely once you start getting psionics.
Great game.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah it's not really spooky, but it is tons of fun to explore the station and go through everybody's stuff, read all the e-mails, etc.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

And if you're playing without the PSI you can recycle all psi recovery items, make more cybermodules and max out your human powers early.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

mcbexx posted:

They're already bundled together http://store.steampowered.com/sub/183038/

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Prey is tense in a good way but it's definitely not a horror game.

It does have one very extreme jump scare though

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Came by to plug a little title that totally passed me and I'm betting many other people by, Strain Tactics

At first glance you'd assume it follows a lot in the same vein as Doorkickers, and from a basic design perspective it is very similar: overhead group tactics where you drag units around and clear out fairly small maps of unfriendlies, only this time you only get a max of five units at once. It's got lot more depth to it than just that, though.

-Tons of guns and gizmos to play with, from anti-tank rockets to shotguns loaded with flechettes to portable gatling guns, as well as passive gear like portable air conditioners and iPods loaded with Pure Moods albums. There's a lot of different fluff info and descriptions for everything if you're a geek like me who loves that kind of thing.
-Lots and lots of dudes to recruit. The game has like 80+ unique units that can only be recruited once, but reviving them if they die is pretty simple anyway. Every unit belongs to a class and there are a LOT of them (combat engineers, medics, green berets, scavengers, cyborgs, etc), each with different stats, passive abilities, morale conditions and inventory space. Everyone can level up in toughness/move speed/damage just by taking damage, carrying stuff around and killing things so it happens pretty naturally over the course of the game.
-At any time you can switch over to your helicarrier's guns and offer fire support with a minigun, cannon, and bombing runs, great for smashing particularly big and obnoxious enemies. Granted not every mission allows it but it's a fun little option.
-Great sound design, lots of meaty gunfire and explosions.
-Units have a greater degree of autonomy relative to a game like Doorkickers, though it tends to be much handier here since it means units will actually back away from advancing enemies and be a lot more capable of covering each other without having to set up overwatch (though you still can if you want).

Most missions are basically you clearing the map of bad guys, occasionally with a side objective of rescuing other people, retrieving items or other stuff like that. The game's structure isn't that much like XCOM since the missions are all fixed, and you can replay them however many times you want and unlock more by killings a certain total of enemies. After 10 hours I'm about halfway through so it doesn't seem like a bad length for 15 bucks. There are a few kinda not-great things about it, though.

-The UI and interface is clearly adapted from it being a mobile game first, and while it still handles a lot better than most mobile-to-PC ports I've played it's still takes some adjusting.
-Some aspects really are not explained well. For example, the game will introduce enemies that make your guys paranoid or blind but not tell you how you're meant to handle them.You can also unlock and buy new gear/soldiers, but the game doesn't tell you you need to visit certain map areas to actually do that.
-Sometimes you do wish your degree of control were a little tighter, particularly to stop your guys from immediately panicking and killing their teammates when they see one become infected.

That aside it was a total hidden gem for me, if you have any love whatsoever for squad games or Doorkickers then check it out.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Digirat posted:

Prey is tense in a good way but it's definitely not a horror game.

It does have one very extreme jump scare though

I fell for that one super hard. I tend to hate jump-scares but if you get me honest and don't abuse it I'll just take the L, and at least to the point I played Prey only had that one plus the mini "gently caress, I forgot about checking for Mimics" stings, which aren't that bad.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Does Mafia 3 pick up at any point? I've just freed the prostitution house for Cassandra, and the game overall just feels like a sloppy GTA wannabe.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I AM BRAWW posted:

Does Mafia 3 pick up at any point? I've just freed the prostitution house for Cassandra, and the game overall just feels like a sloppy GTA wannabe.

Paging Palpek to the thread...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I AM BRAWW posted:

No. But it does get more repetitive and tedious.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
What a poo poo game compared to the amazing Mafia II. Nothing feels "Mafia" about this. I'm basically playing CJ from Grove St. for all I care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

mcbexx posted:

The "Definitive Edition" includes all DH1 content in one package.

I meant package as in all the DLC integrated into a single install. The definitive edition was released in current gen consoles with some improvements, on PC it's literally a bundle of all the DLC. Might be arguing semantics here.