Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just came back from a trip to the International Food Club (more of a warehouse than a club), where I picked up these sprats and 'dines. I hope these are the Riga sprats that everyone has spoken so highly of. The Jadran 'dines are from Spain, so I figured they would be worth a try too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Just came back from a trip to the International Food Club (more of a warehouse than a club), where I picked up these sprats and 'dines. I hope these are the Riga sprats that everyone has spoken so highly of. The Jadran 'dines are from Spain, so I figured they would be worth a try too.

I'm jealous

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Mee too. All I've seen in Australia is brunswick, king oscar, john west, and coles/woolworths home brands. I wonder what the RE store might have though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you are at a sushi place that has raw sardines then get them because they are delicious.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
King Oscar revealed its newest 'dine flavor on Facebook, and it's already starting to show up in some areas. Be on the lookout for 'dines flavored with Tapatio hot sauce.

Unfortunately, they are the single-layer 'dines, where you get 8-12 in a can. I find the smaller the 'dines, the tastier they are, so I'd rather go for the double-layer or cross-pack brislings. But even 8-12 are better than the cans where you get three flavorless (or funky) big 'dines.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Caught some squid and cooked some squid tonight.

10/10 would catch and eat again.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

LingcodKilla posted:

Caught some squid and cooked some squid tonight.

10/10 would catch and eat again.

What fishing technique did you use to catch the sea tubes?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

There's a dock near me that has plug ins and you aim a halogen light at the water. That kinda attracts them. Next you jig a lure in the water until you snag one. It's incredibly simple but does take a little practice.

When you bring it out of the water it squirts ink and water all over the place. Kinda cool.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Trip report of sardines you can buy in Australia. With Brunswick and KO, they only had water, oil or tomato at the shop I went to so I was tempted by the John west brand as they had rosemary and sea salt flavour, as well as lemon, chilli and garlic.. JW priced in between, (brunswick about $1.80, JW ~$2.50, KO $3.20)

JW 'dines come in a classy cardboard box claiming they're wild caught Scottish sardines. 6 medium fillets inside a corner ring pull can. I tried the rosemary and sea salt 'dines first. 1 1/2 fillets on bread toasted on one side under the grill/broiler, some home grown rocket, parsley and chilli flakes on top. Good eats, will eat again. Currently on sale at woolworths for $2

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I just moved in with my gf the other day to a new apartment.

We both brought a few boxes of dry food from our old places, and after unloading her boxes we already ran out of room. I told her I didn't care that much, reached into my boxes, pulled out a dozen cans of sardines, put them in our new pantry, and said I was good.

She's not very happy I did that but she's also not smart enough to pick that fight.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

king oscar has a recipe contest thing going on until the 21st on instagram, I'm hoping to pick up some sardines this week to participate bc I'm gay

I have three dishes in mind and I'm so loving excited

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I gotta inspect these things for random spine bones even though they're boneless skinless.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I had some of the cheap chicken of the sea sardines w/ big spine bones and skin, which normally I can handle, but one of them was full of gross-rear end roe and possibly a liver and I wanted to die

(I like roe on sushi, when I'm expecting it)

naem
May 29, 2011

Those livers are good

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

you got a pregnant sardine

hawt

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
The roe I don't like so I've been going kippered herring on the daily

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

The Snoo posted:

I had some of the cheap chicken of the sea sardines w/ big spine bones and skin, which normally I can handle, but one of them was full of gross-rear end roe and possibly a liver and I wanted to die

(I like roe on sushi, when I'm expecting it)

I always cut my sardines in half length ways. I give them a quick check and 3x 1/2 cut lengthways fillets is enough per slice of bread/toast anyway

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I gotta inspect these things for random spine bones even though they're boneless skinless.

Is that brand-specific? Sardine bones like disintegrate if you chew them at all in my experience. Man, if you can't eat the bones with CotS, it's all the more reason to drop the extra dollar for KOs.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Snoo posted:

king oscar has a recipe contest thing going on until the 21st on instagram, I'm hoping to pick up some sardines this week to participate bc I'm gay

I have three dishes in mind and I'm so loving excited

Now I'm interested, what type of dishes are you going to send in?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Turn some sardines into a forcemeat and stuff fresh squid tubes with them then place the head back over it and bake to perfection.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Is that brand-specific? Sardine bones like disintegrate if you chew them at all in my experience. Man, if you can't eat the bones with CotS, it's all the more reason to drop the extra dollar for KOs.

Season brand. I get them at Costco. Maybe 2-3 spine bones in every other tin. Its disturbing when you're not expecting it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Season brand. I get them at Costco. Maybe 2-3 spine bones in every other tin. Its disturbing when you're not expecting it.

How so? It's a very small animal crammed into a tin. How do you not expect bones and organs to end up in it?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

How so? It's a very small animal crammed into a tin. How do you not expect bones and organs to end up in it?

It says "boneless" on the tin. 99% of it is without bones. The sudden bone when you're chewing through a piece of fish is startling and unexpected.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Get them bone-in and you won't be surprised! :v:

Toilet Shoes
Aug 22, 2016

by Lowtax

Speleothing posted:

Get them bone-in and you won't be surprised! :v:

The award for dadliest response to a problem goes to Speleothing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you absolutely must not get a crunch crunch ooh my gums are bleeding slightly, you're better off getting bone in from a brand with tiny fishes instead of playing lottery with deboned fishes which are going to be huge and if a spine gets in it's going to be noticeable.

KO 2 layer/tiny tots you basically can't tell cause the retort turns the tiny bones into jelly.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I don't really like bones in them but at the same time they aren't enough to get me to stop eating them. Sort of like getting a spice you weren't asking for on your meal.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Now I'm interested, what type of dishes are you going to send in?

:ssh: rn i'm making some sardine nigiri and i'm gonna use the rest of the can for either a pasta dish or some fisherman's eggs, not sure if i want to open the second can at the moment for a third dish but we'll see. leaning towards a pasta dish, though, because it would probably look 'prettier'! i already take pictures of what i make all the time so hopefully i can snag a prize.

snoo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 17, 2017

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

king oscar is extending their instagram recipe contest for one more week, there haven't been a buttload of entries so I'm assuming that's why?

so like.

go do it

bc there's a lot of prizes to be had!! :mad:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Are they giving away tapatio taster kits in the instagram contest?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

seems to be merch like an apron, bottle openers, water bottles, hats, etc, so idk! :v:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Well now, my KO bottle opener won in the Haiku contest a year ago needs a new partner. That partner should be an apron. Now to think up something extra tasty!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I only know two recipes for sardines

1) Straight into my mouth
2) Place on saltines, add hot sauce, insert into mouth.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
hmm it seems your mouth is a common ingredient!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

eat the dang bones

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
*submits the hundredth fisherman's eggs recipe*

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
if we're rehashing recipes, it's a good thing ~~*my girlfriend*~~ asked me to make alton brown's sardicado sandwiches at half past midnight, because she is a good woman with good taste

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Admiral Bosch posted:

if we're rehashing recipes, it's a good thing ~~*my girlfriend*~~ asked me to make alton brown's sardicado sandwiches at half past midnight, because she is a good woman with good taste

Man I would love a 'dine-loving lady friend. That would be living the life

If you're doing the fishermans eggs recipe at 500 degrees watch that poo poo like a hawk because an extra 30 seconds can turn glory into :smith:

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
tell me about the bike. are those sugino forged cranks i see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Admiral Bosch posted:

While this looks delicious and I eat sardines and avocados together on the reg, how is it a recipe? It's just mashed avocado on toast with sardines on top