Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Finally, another good Sonic game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I thought the agreed upon translation was PoE = Path of Exile, and Pillars = Pillars of Eternity.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Is there a place in Steam that will show me all the updates on the current games I follow with out having to clean each game under the followed tab?

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I can't believe i'm saying this, I'm reinstalling No Man's Sky.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rookersh posted:

I thought the agreed upon translation was PoE = Path of Exile, and Pillars = Pillars of Eternity.

I remember when motherfuckers coopted GoW for Gears, stupid Xbox owners with their stupid kegstands and stupid frat parties.

If you're not hardcore into ARPGs I think you really should stay away from PoE, that game is basically an exercise in "but what if we made D2 more grognardy?". Okay, there's quite a bit of QoL improvements in there plus they seem to have changed quite a bit of the game in the two or three years since I first got into it (also I get to play on a decent server now, glory hallelujah). Still, it's very much a tinkerer's game and it's kinda built around ignoring everything and just rushing super hard - hell, they even host race leagues. Having 10 acts instead of the standard Normal/Nightmare/Hell progression makes leveling a lot better tho, and now you can just buy your gems and use whatever stupid attack you want.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Dias posted:

Still, it's very much a tinkerer's game and it's kinda built around ignoring everything and just rushing super hard - hell, they even host race leagues. Having 10 acts instead of the standard Normal/Nightmare/Hell progression makes leveling a lot better tho, and now you can just buy your gems and use whatever stupid attack you want.

I wouldn't say it's built around rushing super hard, it's just something people who have played a lot do because the end-game and leagues are what's important to us. Now that it's got 10 acts it's easily a better game for casual solo playing than a lot of the other Diablo inspired games on the market, tho probably has a few more trap options in character building than others outside of really poorly balanced poo poo like Torchlight 2 or the Van Helsing games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dias posted:

If you're not hardcore into ARPGs I think you really should stay away from PoE, that game is basically an exercise in "but what if we made D2 more grognardy?". Okay, there's quite a bit of QoL improvements in there plus they seem to have changed quite a bit of the game in the two or three years since I first got into it (also I get to play on a decent server now, glory hallelujah). Still, it's very much a tinkerer's game and it's kinda built around ignoring everything and just rushing super hard - hell, they even host race leagues. Having 10 acts instead of the standard Normal/Nightmare/Hell progression makes leveling a lot better tho, and now you can just buy your gems and use whatever stupid attack you want.

I disagree! I'm into Act Two and while it's not grabbing me, no ARPG does. The actual gameplay, when I compare it to Diablo 2 and Titan Quest and Grim Dawn is pretty much the same and easy to grok. You don't have to rush anything, you can meander around the skill tree - I mean, maybe there are difficulty spikes later on but I haven't died even once yet.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just call it PoX

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
BRB making "Pylons of Externity", a zone control srpg.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

It's just a masterclass in level design, tone and voice acting.

And horrible freshman year creative writing.

For the record I genuinely love the genre as a whole and would rank Gone Home as one of my favorite games of all time, but I bounced off Dear Esther HARD. I can't deny that it's a pretty game but having Discount Liam Neeson narrate a crummy story whose twist is guessable 10 minutes in while you're forced to walk at a snail's pace between the 800 invisible walls is not my idea of a good time.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Speaking of ARPGs, I'm enjoying Grim Dawn but is it normal to keep the same weapons for half the game? I got some insect blade things ages ago and they've easily outclassed everything else, unless I'm reading the stats wrong somehow. My equipment in general isn't changing that much. Still fun though.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nevvy Z posted:

BRB making "Pylons of Externity", a zone control srpg.

I'd play this tbh

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

iRend posted:

I can't believe i'm saying this, I'm reinstalling No Man's Sky.

I didn't bother with the 1.1 and 1.2 updates, but this new one has got me hooked again. I played about 40 hours of what was released last fall and liked it but after you maxed out your ship and suit, got all of the tech super easy just by interacting with every object you saw and visited a bunch of planets with no other real purpose, there was no further reason to play. The new quests and missions focus the gameplay more, there are some much-needed QoL improvements in the interface, you now have to put some effort into getting tech and money so you can't get max ship/suit slots in one hour anymore, and there's a sense of progression that was missing a year ago.

Seriously, if you still have the game in your library but haven't touched it since last year, give it a shot. It's still by no means perfect and needs more bug fixes but they've clearly been steadily working on this.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

StrixNebulosa posted:

I disagree! I'm into Act Two and while it's not grabbing me, no ARPG does. The actual gameplay, when I compare it to Diablo 2 and Titan Quest and Grim Dawn is pretty much the same and easy to grok. You don't have to rush anything, you can meander around the skill tree - I mean, maybe there are difficulty spikes later on but I haven't died even once yet.

There are a couple of humps after Act 4/5, I think the late-game there is pretty much on par with Hell Diablo 2 - it's not the hardest thing EVER but you better have a decent build and good items. You can take things at your own leisure, but even the maps feel straightforward in that game if all you wanna do is rush a character, which is something I appreciate.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

il_cornuto posted:

Speaking of ARPGs, I'm enjoying Grim Dawn but is it normal to keep the same weapons for half the game? I got some insect blade things ages ago and they've easily outclassed everything else, unless I'm reading the stats wrong somehow. My equipment in general isn't changing that much. Still fun though.

That was my experience in Grim Dawn. There's certain monsters that spawn with and drop unique loot they call "monster infrequents" and a good roll on one of those would last a long long time.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

il_cornuto posted:

Start throwing relics into the gear if it really fits your build. As you play double check the Factions gear vendors for recipes to create some pretty powerful stuff and then the higher level sets/gear will start coming with additional skills/effects.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Unrelated to ARPGs, but I recently finished Stranger in a Strange land and I notice your use of grok. First time I've ever noticed the word being used.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Unrelated to ARPGs, but I recently finished Stranger in a Strange land and I notice your use of grok. First time I've ever noticed the word being used.

I've tried reading that book twice and bounced off of it, and until a google search a minute ago I didn't know it wasn't a "real" word. :aaa:

I have no idea where I picked it up - I did read other Heinlein and Vonnegut when I was younger, but...

Huh. Cool.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
No Man's Sky was a lot of fun in the ~2+ hrs I played until I refunded it, because it ran like a potato. Id really like to play it again once I can pick up a video card at non-buttcoin inflated prices.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

PlushCow posted:

No Man's Sky was a lot of fun in the ~2+ hrs I played until I refunded it, because it ran like a potato. Id really like to play it again once I can pick up a video card at non-buttcoin inflated prices.

I really want cryptocurrency to tank, bankrupt a bunch of idiot libertarians, and graphics card prices to normalize again.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've tried reading that book twice and bounced off of it, and until a google search a minute ago I didn't know it wasn't a "real" word. :aaa:

I have no idea where I picked it up - I did read other Heinlein and Vonnegut when I was younger, but...

Huh. Cool.

Weird poo poo. It's an okay book. If you're looking for hard sci-fi look elsewhere. I got suckered into reading it after Starship Troopers and I was too far into SiaSL to drop it when I realized it wasn't what I thought it was going to be.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Weird poo poo. It's an okay book. If you're looking for hard sci-fi look elsewhere. I got suckered into reading it after Starship Troopers and I was too far into SiaSL to drop it when I realized it wasn't what I thought it was going to be.

Yeah. Starship Troopers was good, and my vague memories of the Cat who walks through walls and Have Spacesuit Will Travel say they were good, but the rest of his stuff either wasn't my jam or it was really skeevy/weird.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hey, a CK2 patch is out, I wo...

- No longer possible to sacrifice the same person to Satan multiple times

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

mcbexx posted:

drat, the Gamesplanet summer sale has some nice flash sales. Almost feels like Steam in the good ole days.

Wolfenstein TN and OB for 4.44€ (GBP 3.75) each, same for Mad Max (is it worth it? Heard it gets grindy, but it should have fun for under 5 bucks in it, right?), DooM 11.99€ (GBP 8.99) ...

Thanks for linking this, I'll wait to see if Phantom Pain gets a flash deal.

Will probably buy it anyway if it doesn't but still.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

PlushCow posted:

Yeah if Bitcoin and Ethereum could gently caress off forever so I can pick up a 1060/1070 at some point, that would be super.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

il_cornuto posted:

Not in the first playthrough but definitely in the second, where the way the game forces you to hyper-specialize to stay competitive means that almost all the gear you find doesn't apply to your build and gets ignored. I gave a second playthrough a fair shake and stopped two thirds of the way in when I noticed some of my slots had the exact same gear in them as when I started. It gets very boring.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/897296837547315204

This is so weird and delightful at the same time. Some dude fell asleep on twitch so Devolver gave away game codes and made him famous for a while

e: Flipping - this isn't the chat thread. :(

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
he woke up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Digirat posted:

Not in the first playthrough but definitely in the second, where the way the game forces you to hyper-specialize to stay competitive means that almost all the gear you find doesn't apply to your build and gets ignored. I gave a second playthrough a fair shake and stopped two thirds of the way in when I noticed some of my slots had the exact same gear in them as when I started. It gets very boring.
tbh it's a hard thing to really do right. getting an super "legendary"-type thign is basically "ignore plain, magic, rares" for the next ## levels. Even in diablo 3, where leveling essentially doesn't matter because you hit max super quick, it's often its just "did i find the exact same legendary/set i was using but as an ancient/primal? no ok into the garbage chute it goes and maybe i can reroll one".

I think Path of Exile honestly does items about the best that can be done, even plains can be super desirable due to better socket-links-color rolls and better than rares/legendaries sometimes. And legendaries tend to be very specifically useful and possible beaten out by other sub-types at times and there's more strict requirements on items. I think its a much much better game than it was when I played it at beta, but still has some clunky features. Probably my dream game would include d3-improved UI and polish with d3 visceral limb-exploding combat/movement with the actual items-gem-upgrades of exile but I enjoy that :fishmech: level of building and options.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've written a review for a game I'm really passionate about, but it's turned out a bit long. Do people prefer longer or shorter reviews? Should I go into detail about the battle system, or keep it lighter?

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Ragequit posted:

Yeah if Bitcoin and Ethereum could gently caress off forever so I can pick up a 1060/1070 at some point, that would be super.

No idea what this is referring to. How are those cryptocurrency companies affecting graphics card prices? BTW, I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zaphiel posted:

I've written a review for a game I'm really passionate about, but it's turned out a bit long. Do people prefer longer or shorter reviews? Should I go into detail about the battle system, or keep it lighter?

Longer is better! If I want short I'll just read the first paragraph and decide if I want to keep going or not. Longer gives me more details if I'm interested and helps me decide if I want the game.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

yegods posted:

No idea what this is referring to. How are those cryptocurrency companies affecting graphics card prices? BTW, I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

GPU Mining became "profitable" again back in May. So people went out and bought the everything which lowered gpu stock and caused prices to go up.

GPU mining isn't really all that profitable now and it really wasn't profitable to buy a gpu to get into mining even back in May but that won't stop people.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Zaphiel posted:

If your goal is to sell other people on the game, go into the details of how it plays and why those details are good things. Explaining the battle system will help a lot because people will read reviews to find out the mechanics work if the store page isn't super clear on them. Folks who actually read reviews don't care how long they are, so make it as long as you need to explain why it's good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ragequit posted:

fam, same

actually i've been trawling newegg for a while and there's a $250 6gb 1060, but it's in very high demand

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah. Starship Troopers was good, and my vague memories of the Cat who walks through walls and Have Spacesuit Will Travel say they were good, but the rest of his stuff either wasn't my jam or it was really skeevy/weird.

Welcome to the fifties. 'Grok' is very specific and means to completely understand. it tends to date those of us knocking on a bit.

havenwaters posted:

GPU mining isn't really all that profitable now and it really wasn't profitable to buy a gpu to get into mining even back in May but that won't stop people.

There's a brief moment when the increase in horsepower outstrips the dive to the cost of electricity in mining the buttcoins. With any luck it should increase the rate of carbon being pumped into the atmosphere and eventually choke all the bitcoiners to death.

And everyone else, but small victories and all that.

The White Dragon posted:

fam, same

actually i've been trawling newegg for a while and there's a $250 6gb 1060, but it's in very high demand

You're not going with a 970?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Zaphiel posted:

:justpost:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Hav posted:

You're not going with a 970?

6gb 1060's somewhere between a 970 and 980 or something so no real issue there.

Basically you can find stuff priced close enough to what they used to be if you search long enough/get lucky with nowinstock alerts.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
>observer is some heavy poo poo. It feels like it's the new SOMA. I can't say a bad word about it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Blattdorf posted:

>observer is some heavy poo poo. It feels like it's the new SOMA. I can't say a bad word about it so far.

Wait, it's good? I'm saying that because it came from the same devs as the aggressively :mediocre: Layers of Fear.