Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Exactly. In this extended metaphor, Rich has character sheets behind the DM screen, but says nothing while the players write up their own speculative ones, because it's easier than getting into an argument with them about whether or not retconning one of Belkar's feats is a war crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

World Famous W posted:

That is why I roll behind a box and they just have accept what I say, because I have one of those in my group.

DM screens are good and IMO mandatory even if you don't have one of those.

Knowing your DM will fudge some rolls or ignore some NPC's attributes is fine, but knowing that this one specific roll was fudged can completely ruin the fun of a high-stakes moment.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Can't afford a screen, they get an upturned shoe box.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
gently caress it don't fudge rolls.

Definitely roll behind a screen though.

Edit:

I just started remembering a few rolls I fudged. :ohdear:

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 15, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

wait there are DMs/GMs who roll dice in front of players? what the gently caress

half the point of being a DM is to roll dice for no goddamn reason behind your screen to freak out the players

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Rolling arbitrary dice during a quiet scene, saying "interesting..." and scribbling some random notes is the most fun part of being a DM. Even better if you then ask a random player to make a Will Save for no reason as well.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Brony Hunter posted:

Rolling arbitrary dice during a quiet scene, saying "interesting..." and scribbling some random notes is the most fun part of being a DM. Even better if you then ask a random player to make a Will Save for no reason as well.

*Rolls dice, a player nearby gulps visibly and audibly.*

Looks like you just failed your will save.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

wait there are DMs/GMs who roll dice in front of players? what the gently caress

half the point of being a DM is to roll dice for no goddamn reason behind your screen to freak out the players

I've ran RPGs for 13 years and have always done open rolls. AMA

It doesn't stop me from rolling for no reason and laughing to myself.

It does stop me from being merciful to players when Nuffle decides their time has come, and it is not rare for an enemy that has been hyped up to flunk roll after roll and end up more like a comedy routine than a climatic boss fight, but our group rather likes the stark honesty of it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I usually do open rolls. At the very least the players get to roll their own dice, so the high stakes moments I'd most want to fudge aren't really fudgeable, like Saves and stuff.

I did play one game where I had to hide all the dice rolls, but that's because one of the NPCs had the ability to adjust dice rolls on the fly and figuring out who he was and that he had that power (and then how to actually beat him, by engineering situations where he'd straight up roll himself into inescapable trouble) was a core aspect of the campaign.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GlyphGryph posted:

I usually do open rolls. At the very least the players get to roll their own dice, so the high stakes moments I'd most want to fudge aren't really fudgeable, like Saves and stuff.

I think this is the entire reason why systems with opposed rolls exist. That way the DM always gets to fudge one half of the situation.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Open rolling lends more gravitas to the game, in my experience. It's one thing for you to be at 1 hp and the DM to roll some dice and then announce that your enemy missed. It's quite another thing for the DM to roll the die where everyone can see and everyone being able to see that you, in fact, did indeed survive by the skin of your teeth.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
well if we're talking about gravitas, letting the players know that you'll be killing them IRL if their characters die is the way to go

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Venuz Patrol posted:

well if we're talking about gravitas, letting the players know that you'll be killing them IRL if their characters die is the way to go

Ah, the Jack Chick school of DMing.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The last campaign (pathfinder) I ran had the first encounter go horribly wrong when the monk disarmed the doppelganger's dagger and the rogue grabbed it up. Problem was the dagger was being used so the natural weapons wouldn't flay the group alive. If I couldn't fudge numbers behind mah box then we would have had a team wipe on the first battle and I don't need that headache.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The trick is to run systems where something dramatically satisfying will happen whatever the player rolls.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Whybird posted:

The trick is to run systems where something dramatically satisfying will happen whatever the player rolls.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I had fun last session. Fought a roc as a shadow monk. Fought him, had readied action to teleport to his back if he flew away. Did so, he flew up 120 feet. Chain stunned him until he hit the ground and exploded. Very satisfying.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I want you to know that I imagined that as a Rider Kick, and nothing will ever convince me to do otherwise.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Whybird posted:

Yes, Paranoia IS the best game. You are correct.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Failing Forward is a key part of most PBTA games, Fellowship being the best Tolkien-esqe fantasy one.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think it was this thread where I picked up a suggestion to listen to The Adventure Zone, and I want to say thanks for the recommendation, it's good.

Looking forward to the big ol' vampire throwdown we're hurtling toward.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Rich is...okay? But this looks tiny for some reason. Maybe it's on my end though.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
elan continues to be very good and very bad at wordplay

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zoe posted:

Rich is...okay? But this looks tiny for some reason. Maybe it's on my end though.

has he just done like five strips in two weeks? or am i imagining that?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

bold new eyebrow art being used in this strip

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

sebmojo posted:

has he just done like five strips in two weeks? or am i imagining that?

There've been five strips this month, yeah. Rich is Very Okay.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Rich is about to give himself carpal tunnel and need six months to recuperate.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I love Roy's "Well actually..."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I lost it a little bit at "Oh, he's right here."

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

ultrafilter posted:

I lost it a little bit at "Oh, he's right here."

Gotta be honest, "Squat" sounds like a fantasy-setting slur for halflings and gnomes. Do better, Elan.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Squats are Fantasy Warhammer Dwarves.
Or at one time

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
They were the space dwarves, genocided for being insufficiently grimdark.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dolash posted:

Gotta be honest, "Squat" sounds like a fantasy-setting slur for halflings and gnomes. Do better, Elan.

I like Rat Queens' "Smidgens".

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
OotS and only OotS is suddenly showing up tiny and blurry for me. The rest of the internet is fine. I am annoyed.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zoe posted:

OotS and only OotS is suddenly showing up tiny and blurry for me. The rest of the internet is fine. I am annoyed.

Could be you accidentally bumped your browser's zoom setting, which is per domain. Hit ctrl-0 on the affected page to reset it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

New KickStarter update.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I wonder how many backers have straight-up died since the Kickstarter.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

PMush Perfect posted:

I wonder how many backers have straight-up died since the Kickstarter.

Not enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I honestly forgot about the KS content even though I'm owed it. I should figure out how to get it.