Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

ChocNitty posted:

A guy at the swap meet is selling morgans in pretty decent condition for $19 each. Should I buy them all up? Assuming most or all are last year ones.

Hows the outlook for silver as an investment?

$19 is not a good or bad price right now. I've seen some Morgan's offered at 15-17 dollars lately.

Precious metals aren't the best investment. Historically stocks and bonds perform better. Precious metals can be purchased as a small hedge against your equity holdings, but people rarely recommend doing that with more than 2-4% of your total investments. People usually just buy silver because the want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Agreed, it's a fun thing to do just don't bet the farm expecting huge returns. More of a side hobby that is safeguarded from inflation.

I didn't know this until last week but apparently old slot machines used to take and pay out in Morgans, they're easy to identify by the type of wear.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Thanks for the responses. i saw a different seller at a different swap meet selling morgans, priced at $40 and $60, and I asked him if he had any $20 ones, and he said he would pay me $23 for any I had, which made me think $19 was a steal. But I guess the guy was a fool.

Sesquiculus posted:

Got a few more ancients in this week:

My most expensive coin purchase to date, a silver tetradrachm of Athens struck around 454-404 BC.

I see you got quite a few choice pieces within just a few months and havent posted in a while. Are you still actively expanding your collection? Or did you get burned out on it, or just taking a break?

I got the Alexander coins, a couple beautiful greek coins, a bunch of key roman emperor coins, and my next goal coin is the athenian owl coin, and then someday a gold stater.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
It's payday and silver prices are below $16, I might have to give in and buy a few ounces :negative:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Wish I was buying when it very briefly dipped into $14 when Japan's market opened yesterday, but the window was only open for a minute or two. Think I might buy some more generic while it's 15-16.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I started out buying generic bars and rounds, since they were the cheapest, but now I wish I had just stuck to coins as they are far more interesting. Will local shops trade generic silver for equivalent value coins? Theres a couple in my town but I haven't been.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Super Waffle posted:

It's payday and silver prices are below $16, I might have to give in and buy a few ounces :negative:

Where do you buy your silver from?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

APMEX, why do you ask?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Super Waffle posted:

APMEX, why do you ask?

Lookin to buy up a few ounce bars, and I trust goons opinions.

Going on my own, I may have bought from a source that isn't going by true troy ounces, or some other kind of business a silver nub like myself wouldn't be aware about.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

APMEX, JM Bullion and Provident Metals are the big 3 I buy from online.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Yay new coins :neckbeard:

I found a local shop and traded in some silver bars/rounds for a few more interesting coins:

A 1987 proof silver eagle, with original case and certificate (this is my birth year)

A couple cool commemorative silver dollars:

Also picked up a Franklin half and a couple Mercury dimes for my collection, they aren't anything too special. I cashed out what was leftover and I got a Kennedy half and a proof Oklahoma quarter as part of my change :v:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Like clockwork, every time precious metals takes a dip the metal groups get flooded with people selling like crazy. Buy high ... sell low?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Like clockwork, every time precious metals takes a dip the metal groups get flooded with people selling like crazy. Buy high ... sell low?

When I was in the coin shop yesterday, an apparent regular came in and unloaded three tubes of silver eagles. I was pretty confused.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Super Waffle posted:

When I was in the coin shop yesterday, an apparent regular came in and unloaded three tubes of silver eagles. I was pretty confused.

Depending on the person that might not be a lot of silver eagles. A guy in my coin club was buying several rolls per month for years.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I just checked all my wheat pennys.............i won't be retiring to Mexico early

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Facebook sales groups are the worst. I haven't lost anything in my adventure but it's been close. lol

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Did some good overtime at work and picked up a piece of gold, getting my feet back into that game a bit. I REALLY wanted a 1916 one to go with the 2017 Swiss banknote I got, but RN Jesus wasn't on my side (random APMEX pick).

1947 Swiss 20 Francs, 0.1867 troy ounce AGW

Anyone have a 1916 they'd be willing to trade? Much lower mintage, so I won't hold my breath.

And adding to the 2016 South Korean' Chiwoo series:

2017 Chiwoo

I think I'm gonna work towards getting a new Sovereign, preferably a Queen Victoria one.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

ChocNitty posted:

I see you got quite a few choice pieces within just a few months and havent posted in a while. Are you still actively expanding your collection? Or did you get burned out on it, or just taking a break?

Worse, I got a mortgage.

I do have a few new pieces but between the move and my computer dying I haven't been able to update. I'm also getting pretty close to completing my collection - I started with a list of things I wanted and I'm only about a dozen coins short. The ones that are left are mostly big ticket items (a shekel of Tyre, a Tribute Penny, that kind of thing) so I'll have to pace myself.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

In your experience, do LCSs pay under/spot/over when selling poured bars and casts? I love the way poured bars look but IDK if it is worth the premium over say generic round.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Silver Gold Bull has a cool little deal where you can buy a 10toz silver bar at spot price. Similar to JM Bullion's beginner pack but with the bar instead of 10 1toz generic rounds.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

In your experience, do LCSs pay under/spot/over when selling poured bars and casts? I love the way poured bars look but IDK if it is worth the premium over say generic round.

If it's just generic rounds/bars I'd expect spot price at the very minimum. Libertads/ASE/etc I'd expect some over spot. It's usually easy to find private buyers online from private groups that have well-referenced buyers.

meat police fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 2, 2017

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Went to both the coin shops in town today, and both had closed early :saddowns:. Was hoping to pick up a few silver eagles but I guess not.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Can we ask about the values of our coins in this thread? The Ask/Tell thread mentioned in the OP appears to have died.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

meat police posted:

Silver Gold Bull has a cool little deal where you can buy a 10toz silver bar at spot price. Similar to JM Bullion's beginner pack but with the bar instead of 10 1toz generic rounds.

Hey, Thanks, I just picked one of these up because of you.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I found an awesome shop in Houston called the Houston Numismatic Exchange. Picked up a Barber quarter, Barber Half and a standing Liberty quarter for the collection.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Nice, Standing Libertys will always be my favorite design ever.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Nice, Standing Libertys will always be my favorite design ever.

You can still, just barely, make out the nipple on that one :v:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

You can still, just barely, make out the nipple on that one :v:

Had someone report a Facebook post of mine before because of the tiddies on a gold Libertad. God bless this mess.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Another 10oz Silver bar at spot deal except this time at SD Bullion with coupon code SILVER23. I wish they'd let us choose a different design but hey, can't beat spot. Only downside is I think they might charge shipping, about to find out.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

Another 10oz Silver bar at spot deal except this time at SD Bullion with coupon code SILVER23. I wish they'd let us choose a different design but hey, can't beat spot. Only downside is I think they might charge shipping, about to find out.

edit: Gross, ~$8 for shipping plus debit/card processing fees attached. I can get better deals elsewhere, nevermind.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

My local coin shop actually pulled through and had some Sovereigns at melt price, I'm always on the prowl for them at a good rate. Also 2 rolls of Mercury dimes and my 10oz at spot price bar.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Super Waffle posted:

I found an awesome shop in Houston called the Houston Numismatic Exchange. Picked up a Barber quarter, Barber Half and a standing Liberty quarter for the collection.

I've had good luck finding collectible coins there since they mostly deal in bullion these days. It's still the only place I've seen selling laureate Napoleon 20 francs for 5-10% over BV. But I rarely go there. Screw trying to park in Rice Village.

I recommend checking out the local coin shows for collectible and bullion. I was able to get a set of the ~1960 Austrian 25 shilling & 50 shilling commemoratives for a little over spot at the Bellaire coin club show a few weeks back.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Do gold/silver prices rise after natural disasters? Im in Orlando bracing for Irma and am considering buying a few ounces in case things go super Mad Max (:v:). I found a semi-local place that told me they're selling silver eagles at $2 above spot which seems like a deal.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

Do gold/silver prices rise after natural disasters? Im in Orlando bracing for Irma and am considering buying a few ounces in case things go super Mad Max (:v:). I found a semi-local place that told me they're selling silver eagles at $2 above spot which seems like a deal.

Natural disasters, also the idiocy going on over in North Korea. Any time there's some military bloviating the metal market temporarily jumps. Two over spot would put it at around $20, which isn't that bad for ASE's.

Pissed I didn't buy more Sovereigns while gold was still under 1300.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Decided to check out a local CASH4GOLD type place on the off chance they had some silver coins for a decent price. The very nice woman informed me that some guy came in that morning and cleaned them out of 175+ Morgans, Peace, and Eagles :negative:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I found two silver nickels in my office coin jar today :cheers:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

Decided to check out a local CASH4GOLD type place on the off chance they had some silver coins for a decent price. The very nice woman informed me that some guy came in that morning and cleaned them out of 175+ Morgans, Peace, and Eagles :negative:

Huh, I never would have guessed CASH4GOLD joints would mess with silver. I thought most of their business model was just shipping off 18k-22k gold jewelry to be melted down. I might have to go bug a few this week.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Huh, I never would have guessed CASH4GOLD joints would mess with silver. I thought most of their business model was just shipping off 18k-22k gold jewelry to be melted down. I might have to go bug a few this week.

I thought so too but I called a couple up and they will sell you silver/gold coins if they have any on hand. The one I described above did do some weird pricing though. They round the spot price to the nearest dollar, then charge an over-spot price on top of that. So the $17.80 spot price for today is rounded to $18, then whatever premium they charge. They would round down at $17.49 however, so if you time it right you might save a bit.

So here's a question with probably no one answer: what's the better investment, sovereign coins like Silver Eagles, or silver bars/rounds?

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
I may have bought some more banknotes.... All are foreign, except these two:

Two late 1944 $25 War Savings Bonds, unclaimed

1922-23 UK 1 Pound

1954 Canadian $2 bill

1937 Canadian $1 bill

1967 Canadian Centennial $1 bill

1973 Canadian $1 bill

2017 Canadian Sesquicentennial $10 bill

2014 Japanese 5000 Yen

2017 South Sudan 10 South Sudanese Pounds (featuring Uncle Phil)

2017 Mozambique 20 Meticais (featuring Geoffrey Butler)

2013 Maldives 100 Rufiyaa

2008 Maldives 50 Rufiyaa

2006 Maldives 20 Rufiyaa

2006 Maldives 10 Rufiyaa

2011 Maldives 5 Rufiyaa

2015 Maldives 100 Rufiyaa

2015 Maldives 50 Rufiyaa

2015 Maldives 20 Rufiyaa

2015 Maldives 10 Rufiyaa

2017 Maldives 5 Rufiyaa

[img]http://i.imgur.com/N645kaql.jpg][/img]
2006 North Korea 5000 Won

2006 North Korea 1000 Won

2007 North Korea 500 Won

1992 North Korea 100 Won

1992-2002 North Korea 200 Won - 1 Won

The 5000 through 100 Won are the same size. The full width of the image with the other five notes is the same width as the first four notes, showing the change in size. Imgur shrunk that one a bit, given that image was massive.

"Great Leader Comrade Kim Il Sung's 100th Birthday" set:

2013 North Korea 5000 Won

2008 North Korea 5000 Won

2008 North Korea 2000 Won

2008 North Korea 1000 Won

2008 North Korea 500 Won

2008 North Korea 200 Won

2008 North Korea 100 Won

2002 North Korea 50 Won

2002 North Korea 10 Won

2002 North Korea 5 Won

All those notes are the same size.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I bought my first full tube of Silver Eagles today! :buddy: All 2005's as they were slightly cheaper for some reason. The local CASH4GOLD places turned out to be bait and switch so I went back to my local shop and picked up a tube for $388 (about $2.25 over spot). Also picked up a 1986 Eagle, a Walking Liberty, and a V nickel for my collection. I'll edit in pics once I get back from work.

EDIT - Took me 23 years, but I've finally finished the coin collection I started as a child

DominusDeus posted:

*awesome stuff*

That is so cool, I've never seen NK money. How does anyone get NK notes out of the country?

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I love Silver Eagles, but I'd really like to grab some silver Hungary Koronas while silver is at 17. Anyone have an idea of what the avg prices would normally be for them?