Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I had one like Oh poo poo moment with the CPZ boss but it was pretty easy to recover and win it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How hard is the CPZ boss compared to its source? Because I was just aggressively terrible at the original game and couldn't get close to the end of story mode, so while it was hilarious finding out what the boss is, I am not looking forward to actually playing it.

I suck at that and I still got it on my first try

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

As a PC player, I'm still waiting, but I'm glad to learn details that I don't consider huge spoilers and the news that Sonic Mania is going to be really good and that you're all enjoying it. :)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Zillions magazine posted:

CPZ boss GOTY 10/10 S-tier
Just got here and lol

when I saw people discussing it I thought it would be some reference I wouldn't get due to not being up on SONIC LORE but I did let out a hearty lol when I saw it

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How hard is the CPZ boss compared to its source? Because I was just aggressively terrible at the original game and couldn't get close to the end of story mode, so while it was hilarious finding out what the boss is, I am not looking forward to actually playing it.
It's so loving easy

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Did anyone else get the collector's edition, specifically for the Switch? There's a little metallic card that's supposed to have the download code but actually it's just on a slip of paper. What?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Finished my first run, it was really fun, no dud acts throughout for me. I'll agree that some of the bosses are a tad annoying to figure out the right way to get at them, but it's an issue that goes away once you figure it out the first time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Little Mac posted:

Did anyone else get the collector's edition, specifically for the Switch? There's a little metallic card that's supposed to have the download code but actually it's just on a slip of paper. What?

The official Sonic YouTube page explained that they couldn't get the codes printed on the card like they wanted to for whatever reason.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

a 3 chain feels like its the power of a 5 or 6 chain.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Only thing is how do I do the Drop Dash on the Switch version? And how do I access Debug Mode and & Knuckles Mode?

Press and hold the jump button before you land.

And do the blue sphere zones.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Generally the bosses felt like a blend between the easy puzzle bosses from CD and the more standard type from 2, 3&K. It's cool that a few of them took a while to work out.

Metal Sonic took me the longest, although the final stage is really, really easy. I didn't find any of them annoying to fight again on my second play-through, a lot of them can be taken down v. quickly once you now what to do too.

The final boss (bad ending, special stages are hard!) wasn't any more complicated or difficult than some of the earlier Act 2 ones, which is a shame. It didn't really feel like a final Boss.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Beat the game, loved it! Had a great time outside of the auto-scrolling section. Metallic Madness surprised me a lot and ended up being my favorite. I beat the first level with three chaos emeralds, and then beat the game with three, that fourth UFO is a killer.

The game said I unlocked a whole bunch of poo poo, but I can't figure out how to turn on the super peel-out or & knuckles mode. Anyone figured that one out?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"No Save" mode has a Secrets option menu.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Trick Question posted:

Beat the game, loved it! Had a great time outside of the auto-scrolling section. Metallic Madness surprised me a lot and ended up being my favorite. I beat the first level with three chaos emeralds, and then beat the game with three, that fourth UFO is a killer.

The game said I unlocked a whole bunch of poo poo, but I can't figure out how to turn on the super peel-out or & knuckles mode. Anyone figured that one out?

Press Triangle on PS4 or Y on Xbox, or X on Switch on no save to get the unlockables.

Also the four UFO is a jerk if you don't do stuff in a set order to keep up with it then you have a hell of a time catching up to it once you reach mach 3. But if you can beat then the rest after word is easy.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Thanks! Only available on no-save is a bummer, though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

His AI is really really bad, and the deck is really stacked in your favor if you know how to play the game. Even a 2 chain is really powerful.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did this come out in Japan yet? I bet there's a whole lotta Japanese players wondering why Eggman is playing Puyo Puyo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wow this game is loving AMAZING

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Really, the only issues I can really see with the CPZ boss fight is if you're playing on the Switch version, because the game seems to bug out when you win the fight. Either by killing you when you won, or softlocking. Something to keep in mind, but I haven't heard of that happening on the other versions yet.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm the guy who already wants to watch people speed run sonic mania

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

people are working on it already. the game might be too long for my blood though

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Motto posted:

Good god, oil oceans second boss is loving miserable.

I also struggled with it. Some tips: You can dodge the spike and all but one of the laser positions just by ducking. Don't go after the Lava Reef Zone-style shooter things, just dive straight for the boss. It only needs 8 hits, which you should be able to get in your 3rd cycle. You can also get in a cheap hit or two at the very start of the battle.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Sorry if I missed it since this thread Goes So Fast but is the soundtrack on any download stores yet? I've searched a bit but all I can find is that there's apparently a vinyl version... which comes with a download code. I am being mocked.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

fire shield in the oil was so good.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Fedule posted:

Sorry if I missed it since this thread Goes So Fast but is the soundtrack on any download stores yet? I've searched a bit but all I can find is that there's apparently a vinyl version... which comes with a download code. I am being mocked.

Sadly not yet. It's a serious crime that it's not available to buy and download right now

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Most of the boss fights are cute or inventive but bad. It's the game's one black mark, and really just a sign of a less experienced dev team. Game has heart in spades tho.

I suspect that's less because of the inexperienced Dev team and more because I reckon the Genesis Sonics likely had about ten times as much refinement time and seperate playtesters.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Endgame spoiler Super Tails is in, which I found very pleasantly surprising! No Flickies, though, and he can't do the super boss--as far as I saw, not even a "You Are Super Player" screen to replace the "try again" one, which I found disappointing.

You CAN do the super boss as Tails through the level select though :getin:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

XavierGenisi posted:

Sadly not yet. It's a serious crime that it's not available to buy and download right now

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I suspect that's less because of the inexperienced Dev team and more because I reckon the Genesis Sonics likely had about ten times as much refinement time and seperate playtesters.

The latter, maybe, the former, you'd be surprised. Sonic 2 was made in roughly one year and the only way they did that was by splitting the work between Sega of Japan and Sega of America, which is unconscionably crazy by modern standards, let alone by 1992 standards. They just REALLY had to get a Sonic game out while the character was a big deal.

3 is probably the most polished if only because of the extra time afforded by splitting off & Knuckles. CD comes close but I have rose tinted glasses because of the 2011 remake, the original release definitely suffered in several ways.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh man, Knuckles has his own mirage saloon act 1

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Jarogue posted:

fire shield in the oil was so good.

I feel like tails should be captioned "WHAT DID YOU THINK WOULD HAPPEN YOU MANIAC!?"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Some of the spritework looks amateurish, the remixes aren't as good as the original tunes, and the references and in-jokes are a bit gratuitous for anyone who isn't obsessed with the franchise. I like Sonic games, I grew up with a Sega Genesis, and I used to spend hours playing and re-playing the Sonic games, but I couldn't help but roll my eyes at some of the gimmicks. It felt like they were relying too much on flashy nostalgia and "cool moments" than on elements of the core gameplay.

Sonic Mania gets a 7.5/10.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Finished my first run! Excellent game. Time to go hunt for some Chaos Emeralds. Question: is there more than one emerald in a single act?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

wuggles posted:

Finished my first run! Excellent game. Time to go hunt for some Chaos Emeralds. Question: is there more than one emerald in a single act?

Guy on Neogaf said he got all the Emeralds by CPZ1.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Screaming Idiot posted:

Some of the spritework looks amateurish, the remixes aren't as good as the original tunes, and the references and in-jokes are a bit gratuitous for anyone who isn't obsessed with the franchise. I like Sonic games, I grew up with a Sega Genesis, and I used to spend hours playing and re-playing the Sonic games, but I couldn't help but roll my eyes at some of the gimmicks. It felt like they were relying too much on flashy nostalgia and "cool moments" than on elements of the core gameplay.

Sonic Mania gets a 7.5/10.

well, you're not screaming, but

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Emong posted:

Guy on Neogaf said he got all the Emeralds by CPZ1.

That's what I thought I read. Also sounds totally nuts.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So uh... yeah. How do I beat Knux's Green Hill Act 2 boss. It just gets to an end and goes boom with a big rear end pit and everything. Am I missing anything.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

absolutely anything posted:

well, you're not screaming, but

But what? I didn't like Sonic Mania as much as some of these people do, is there something wrong with that? It's not a bad game, but it's nowhere near as good as Sonic 3 & Knuckles or Sonic Generations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Let people have their opinions folks.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

What's with all the Spinball avatars. They're cool, much like the game.
Which is kinda poo poo.

So I guess we can all agree Spinball is Cool poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Some of the spritework looks amateurish

We must have been playing a different game because Mania's spritework is anything but amateurish to me