Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Honestly we really should ask pointedly for it to explain exactly what it did, and therefore exactly what it didn't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

xthetenth posted:

Honestly we really should ask pointedly for it to explain exactly what it did, and therefore exactly what it didn't do.

Potentially very pointedly, with pieces of Gusty wreckage. It might recognise what that weapon was

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Er... what has just happened?

Honestly, I'm a bit lost, probably because I haven't been following the going ons (and the chat) closely. Could someone please explain in simpler words?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
...I power through the LP in one day just to see that happen. Timing. Signed up for Mars Navy anyway!

TheWetFish posted:

Potentially very pointedly, with pieces of Gusty wreckage. It might recognise what that weapon was

Might also want to point out that it seems, from the narrative, that the plasma cannon shot from the Atrocity actually put a brake on the portal's size increasing. I'd ask the marines to tell the Facility to run data on that in particular too; see if we can't work out what that means for us limiting this like these breaches happening again in future.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

markus_cz posted:

Er... what has just happened?

Honestly, I'm a bit lost, probably because I haven't been following the going ons (and the chat) closely. Could someone please explain in simpler words?

The Alien Pluto Facility opened a warpgate to somewhere. Bad dudes were on the other side, possibly the ones it mentioned a ways upthread. They punked the everloving poo poo out of one of our spaceboats before the warpgate collapsed.

Next up, some very stern words with the Facility. After that, panic.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Friend Commuter posted:

The Alien Pluto Facility opened a warpgate to somewhere. Bad dudes were on the other side, possibly the ones it mentioned a ways upthread. They punked the everloving poo poo out of one of our spaceboats before the warpgate collapsed.

Next up, some very stern words with the Facility. After that, panic.

Why did we shoot at the Facility first (or at something else)? Was it part of the attempt to dislodge it and tow it away, as someone has mentioned before?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

We shot at the wormhole because Facility told us it was just a sensor probe, so the second it started doing fucky not-sensor poo poo we blew it up because alien technology doing fucky poo poo it isn't supposed to needs to be blown up.

E: Upon closer reading we only actually shot at the torus of weird light, not the satellite that Facility put up. In fact, I think Facility was trying desperately to close the wormhole. So we shot at the fucky unexpected thing, but I don't think it was generated by Facility. Azathoth was trying to claw his way into the solar system and Facility tried to slam the door shut. Apparently, plasma helped with that. But I apologize for initially blaming Facility, who can do no wrong and only tried to help. It can have its satellite privileges back.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 16, 2017

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

We shot at the wormhole because Facility told us it was just a sensor probe, so the second it started doing fucky not-sensor poo poo we blew it up because alien technology doing fucky poo poo it isn't supposed to needs to be blown up.

E: Upon closer reading we only actually shot at the torus of weird light, not the satellite that Facility put up. In fact, I think Facility was trying desperately to close the wormhole. So we shot at the fucky unexpected thing, but I don't think it was generated by Facility. Azathoth was trying to claw his way into the solar system and Facility tried to slam the door shut. Apparently, plasma helped with that. But I apologize for initially blaming Facility, who can do no wrong and only tried to help. It can have its satellite privileges back.

We don't know what any of what the entity we are calling 'Facility' is for, and as far as what it can do, we are just 2 year olds playing with nukes. The :shobon:est of :shobon:s.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It is my friend, and that is the only thing that truly matters.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Crazycryodude posted:

It is my friend, and that is the only thing that truly matters.

Sounds like someone needs to be posted to the Atrocity as operational command post-haste...

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
This is an awesome LP, keep up the great work!

Also, please space dorf me. I'd like to command some kind of a repair (or supply) ship, named Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Best case scenario:

Pluto AI was just checking to see if the wormhole still existed. Spacthulu noticed signals/readings/whatever on the other end of the wormhole, and either hijacked or somehow used the satellite's scans to force it open. Pluto AI is very sorry and now has proof that the Space UN is gone and will help us in any way it can. Free hoverboards and ice cream for everyone!

Worst case scenario:

Pluto AI is tricked us into announcing to the rest of the universe's abyssal horrors that we have evolved enough to be fun to play with.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
They were waiting there. That seems bad.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Either way this goes beyond our squabbles between states. This went beyond "let's get ahead in the space race" to "humankind needs to work together, now."

But earth isn't going to buy it. They'll think we are trying to stop their expansion.

But I still think we need to try!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Affi posted:

Either way this goes beyond our squabbles between states. This went beyond "let's get ahead in the space race" to "humankind needs to work together, now."

But earth isn't going to buy it. They'll think we are trying to stop their expansion.

But I still think we need to try!

I agree completely. That's why we need to conquer IC and UT as soon as possible. If they won't listen to reason, we'll just have to make them!

In the meantime, we should rebury Facility. Just to be safe until we rule the solar system. That gate would never have opened if not for Facility.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

We don't know if the gate is fully closed. It looks like there was definitely a massive space station right on the other side, and it sounds like there used to be one on our side too, if the facility is to be believed. It seems likely one or both space stations are what hold the wormhole open. The probe may have only triggered the operation of the remote station and isn't responsible for maintaining the open wormhole. The weapons fire on the wormhole's rim may be what collapsed it, and that may only be a temporary measure.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

pthighs posted:

They were waiting there. That seems bad.
We survived. That seems good.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Earth will never believe us much less agree to stop expanding, so our only choice is to go all-in as well and try to out-expand them so we have the resources to defeat Earth/the horrors/both.

Surely there is no way this could go wrong, but it's the only way out that I see.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I think we just need to make our position clear. We can't stop Earth from opening Pandora's Box but if they don't keep a firm hand on the lid we won't be held responsible for all the nukes we have to lob to stop Cthulu or the Von Neuman machines or whatever other horros start to pour into our solar system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think whatever the facility has to say about that incident will dictate Mars's position going forwards. It may have information about what happened and potentially what blew up our destroyer. Its disposition also determines whether it can be brought onside or whether it will need to be treated as a hostile actor. If indeed it turns out that something malevolent is sitting on the other side of the FTL connection the facility itself may be very keen to ensure that nothing can leave the system until a safe exit can be found.

If it did just wake up Nyarlathotep then presumably as the AI vestige of a spacefaring polity obsessed with keeping stuff like that contained, it would not, presumably, want to risk Earth giving it a few extra pokes.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I volunteer every brave pilot in my fighter wing to fight the Horror from Beyond. Park the Minotaur just close enough to drop them off, then head full speed sunward. Turn off the radio and don't look back.

Also I think the current Fleet Archon should lead a diplomatic envoy to the Horror head of state, along with everyone in the line of succession between me and the office of Fleet Archon.

Actually forget what I said about the fighters, I'm not heading out there. The Fleet Archon totally should, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's fine, I'm sure it's all fine.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
We're gonna need a bigger boat spaceship.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

quote:

(Y)e blind idiot, ye noxious Azathoth shal arise from ye middle of ye World where all is Chaos & Destruction where He hath bubbl'd and blasphem'd at Ye centre which is of All Things, which is to say Infinity...

quote:

the ancient legends of Ultimate Chaos, at whose center sprawls the blind idiot god Azathoth, Lord of All Things, encircled by his flopping horde of mindless and amorphous dancers, and lulled by the thin monotonous piping of a demoniac flute held in nameless paws."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFd8aWT7Io

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Are the extra interludes fictional depictions of some manner of game events, or just a created narrative to make the LP more engaging? They're very good either way and I've been enjoying them a lot.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

30 April, 0208hrs

:ussr: Viva la revolución! :ussr:

The decision is made, the die is cast. Mars moves to support the free workers of Titan!

SAR operations continue and the crippled ships depart for Neptune.

LSD Poole of Grains launches her Marine shuttles and the lumbering brigade transport moves to begin unloading.

The Marines combat drop right into the conflict bolstering the spirits of the Titanian revolution.

A landing zone for the brigade is identified and the frigate William Borroughs begins to supress the area.

The chosen spaceport is erased from existence by four 100kt nukes and its defenders are scattered. Civillian casualties are unfortunately unavoidable.

After four salvoes like this the area is deemed sufficiently sanitised for the landing to proceed.

Small scale surface to orbit weaponry starts up and tries to interdict the landings.

The Eureka responds against the IC positions with overwhelming force.

Ouch. After this massive hammering the IC guns are either destroyed or fall silent.

Intel is reading disarray in the IC C&C thanks to the bombardment and with estimated casualties over two million it is decided to let the ground-pounders test the IC positions before slinging around anymore canned sunshine. The transport will be unloaded in 12 hours so then the real fighting can begin.

Finally, not needed for ground suport at this time the fighters are dispatched to run down the fleeing IC ships.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

HiKaizer posted:

Are the extra interludes fictional depictions of some manner of game events, or just a created narrative to make the LP more engaging? They're very good either way and I've been enjoying them a lot.

The former, they progress the underlying plot outside the scope of what Aurora can handle. The News reports are similar in that they report on things not directly affecting the Goon area of operations.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

How long till the fighters will intercept?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Crazyeyes24 posted:

How long till the fighters will intercept?

A bit over 10 hours. They should have just enough fuel to intercept and return.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
What was the population of Titan before we started nuking the poo poo out of it?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

~100-110 million?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

About 182 million. You've hit it with 28 100kt warheads so far, a fraction of what you could unleash.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Well we managed to kill off 1% of the population so far

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

unwantedplatypus posted:

Well we managed to kill off 1% of the population so far

The whole point was a rebellion against the 1%. :smug:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Good job guys, that's what I like to see. Incidentally am I right in thinking Aurora doesn't really model the differences between atmospheric and non atmospheric worlds? I can't really see how dust and radiation are a significant concern on an airless world.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Actually, its entire climate model is based around atmosphere. Specifically relating to bombardment it gets a little iffy though, yes. You can fluff "radiation" damage as more general infrastructure disruption like popping hab domes and medical facilities getting overcrowded, but dust is kinda weird when there's no atmosphere for it to get kicked up in.

Then again, there are almost never colonies that you'd be bombarding on truly airless worlds anyways, so Steve probably just figured whatever, not a huge deal.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Senator Warcrimes: "Good start, keep it up!"

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Atmopshere is modeled, to the point where lasers become ineffective bombardment weapons if the atmosphere is too thick.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Did we really just kill or injure 2 million people :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

tatankatonk posted:

Did we really just kill or injure 2 million people :sweatdrop:

:thatsaurora: