Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Are they using ancient phones? I'd probably try to find an app like signal/WhatsApp/hangouts/Facebook/whatever that you all use rather than use the old SMS system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Are they charged for long distance texts? All my US friends have had North America texting for years now.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Speaking of band usage I wanted to pick youse guys brains. At work we sell enterprise coffee equipment, and for one them the manufacturer is offering a GSM modem for remote troubleshooting/programming/etc. Problem being, they've only used it in Europe. This is the hardware:
http://www.gemalto.com/m2m/solutions/modules-terminals/terminals/bgs2t

It says "Global Quad-Band 2G" right on it, but I wanted to double check, is that a spectrum all the providers support? E.g. it's not like the old days where Telus used X and Rogers used Y? Figured I should know this in advance before we get a sim card for it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I'm pretty sure only Rogers supports GSM. Bell and Telus went straight for 3G and skipped 2G GSM entirely. (They were both using a different 2G tech called CDMA)

Not sure what Rogers' timeline is on retiring 2G but I'd look into that too. I believe some carriers are already shutting down those networks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Evis posted:

I'm pretty sure only Rogers supports GSM. Bell and Telus went straight for 3G and skipped 2G GSM entirely. (They were both using a different 2G tech called CDMA)

Not sure what Rogers' timeline is on retiring 2G but I'd look into that too. I believe some carriers are already shutting down those networks.

This is correct, Telus/Bell skipped 2G, so you need to use Rogers for that (maybe Fido too? not sure). I know CDMA is being shut down everywhere but I haven't seen anything about Rogers shutting down their 2G network, not sure what the purpose of that would be as it's still useful for voice calls in remote areas and it's the same base standard as the rest of their network (unlike Bell/Telus shutting down CDMA which is a totally different standard).

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The purpose would be reusing the 2G spectrum for LTE bands.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Evis posted:

The purpose would be reusing the 2G spectrum for LTE bands.

Do cellular radio chips support that? I'm genuinely curious how that works, my expectation is that they would reserve certain bands/frequencies for the LTE radio so I wonder how they would use a 2G frequency for that.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I couldn't find a great reference on this quickly so I'm not sure exactly what gsm band reuse looks like for LTE. The Wikipedia article on LTE bands is interesting reading. tl;dr is that there are dozens of bands in use around the world. Makes me miss the simpler days of GSM when there were only four bands total.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Huh, interesting. I didn't even think about the possibility of the networks being retired. Apparently Bellus had 2G(CDMA) in place, but they've announced retirement as of May 2017, and everyone else probably by 2020. I read that here:
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/insights/the-lte-revolution-has-only-just-begun-and-networks-try-to-catch-up/

They go into some of the implications for IoT/embedded devices. Apparently a lot of the early fleet management hardware/software is 2G reliant for example. This could be problematic since it's obviously still around in Asia/Africa/Most of Europe.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
A friend of mine needs a phone that supports NFC and "pictures in SMS" which I thought was all of them these days but apparently not. Her budget doesn't allow for a Pixel. What are some good options below $500 unlocked that will work on Public Mobile?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

The Gunslinger posted:

A friend of mine needs a phone that supports NFC and "pictures in SMS" which I thought was all of them these days but apparently not. Her budget doesn't allow for a Pixel. What are some good options below $500 unlocked that will work on Public Mobile?

I have a OnePlus 2 which I love but wouldn't recommend. Oneplus1 has a stack of power for her unless shes an insane power user, likewise the oneplus3 is supposed to be pretty good

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Gunslinger posted:

Wait, there are phones that can't do MMS? Are you making GBS threads me?

It's much too high, but I grabbed a US LG G6 from https://www.bhphotovideo.com
Even with the currency exchange and importation fees, it came to CAD $180 less than what eBay wants for a Canadian one.

There's the Nextbit Robin (SD808 like the 5X) for stupid cheap now that they were bought and killed by Razer. Prices are maybe CAD $220, all in.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 21, 2017

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mister Facetious posted:

Wait, there are phones that can't do MMS? Are you making GBS threads me?

I know a couple olds who still use those Alcatel flip phone 7-11 burners, specifically my dad who just figured out how texting works in his mid-70s.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

My friend had the 7-11 text plan, and my mother is on some cheapo no data plan poo poo, (I keep telling her to get something better). I'm pretty sure you at least need data on your plan to send MMS.
Or the plan itself has to specify that it's covered under texts; I don't remember which, but I've always made sure MMS was listed by name in my phone plan, even the lovely Wind one.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 21, 2017

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

Huh, interesting. I didn't even think about the possibility of the networks being retired. Apparently Bellus had 2G(CDMA) in place, but they've announced retirement as of May 2017, and everyone else probably by 2020. I read that here:
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/insights/the-lte-revolution-has-only-just-begun-and-networks-try-to-catch-up/

They go into some of the implications for IoT/embedded devices. Apparently a lot of the early fleet management hardware/software is 2G reliant for example. This could be problematic since it's obviously still around in Asia/Africa/Most of Europe.

I wouldn't worry about it much. As far as I know, the majority of wireless payment machines in Canada use the Rogers GSM network as either their primary connection method, or as a backup connection to ordinary WiFi. There doesn't seem to be any discussion of changing in the industry.

spiderlemur
Nov 6, 2010
It seems Rogers didn't hike my price and kept my 2.5GB plan at $52 with Spotify still included. I'm waiting for them to notice. I bet they'll change it out of nowhere or call me, and definitely change it if I ever have to call in for any reason.

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
telus has a pretty good promo going on now: 1gb for 10/month for tablets. Does anyone know if you can pop the sim in to a smartphone and use that tablet plan? no sms/or voice obviously

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

ColonelMoutard posted:

telus has a pretty good promo going on now: 1gb for 10/month for tablets. Does anyone know if you can pop the sim in to a smartphone and use that tablet plan? no sms/or voice obviously

Yes, you should be able to. The voice and sms will probably work too, but without a monthly plan they will bill you an exorbitant pay-per-use fee for each call/text/MMS.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Public Mobile is texting customers on the Fall 2016 promo ($120/90/12gb) to switch to Koodo for $50/m 5gb. Hold strong, our deal is still the best on the market (YMMV)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Risky Bisquick posted:

Public Mobile is texting customers on the Fall 2016 promo ($120/90/12gb) to switch to Koodo for $50/m 5gb. Hold strong, our deal is still the best on the market (YMMV)

Sorry, what?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I know Telus owns Koodo but isn't PM a 3rd party company that's just renting bandwidth from Telus? Like why would they be trying to drive business to another company? Or did Telus take over PM?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Risky Bisquick posted:

I got this and was confused as gently caress

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Sorry, what?

Public Mobile is texting the customers that got in on last year's "12gb data every three months for $120" deal to switch to Koodo's "5gb for $50 every month" offer.

Well, gently caress that; I got my referrals discount to think about. :smug:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Probably some sort of accounting shenanigans as to the reason why they are approaching this. Rogers has been trying aggressively to push the Fido brand into the value segment but at a higher price point $55 for something similar to what Koodo is offering PM customers.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pretty simple, they want to try to get an extra 10-12/mo from a bunch of existing customers and here, 1 GB and nationwide LD as incentive. I dunno why people are freaking out.

Is it because they think "they're different companies, what's going on?" in which case haha, brand differentiation failure.

(Public Mobile is just another skin on top of Koodo's prepaid infrastructure, with no customer service number)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I think the other advantage of that Koodo offer is national calling instead of province wide. That and support that isn't making a forums post and getting an answer weeks later.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Get a RoamMobility SIM if yours is unlocked.

Did this on the long weekend for a trip to Chicago. Way better than the travel add ons Telus has.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chris Knight posted:

Did this on the long weekend for a trip to Chicago. Way better than the travel add ons Telus has.

And I think the card lasts for about a year, too, right? Do you get a slightly better price if you go back to the States within that time? I've used Roam for trips there too but never so frequent that I could make use of those offers and reminders they always sent me afterwards.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone tell me what happens when the length of your contract is up and you do not buy a new device or sign a new one? Will they remove the device payments portion from my bill?

Does your current plan just become grandfathered in until you are unable to make payments?

I have a $30 6gb add on that I’m afraid won’t be able to be transferred again if I wanted to subsidize a new phone next month

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

The Gillman posted:

Can anyone tell me what happens when the length of your contract is up and you do not buy a new device or sign a new one? Will they remove the device payments portion from my bill?

Does your current plan just become grandfathered in until you are unable to make payments?

I have a $30 6gb add on that I’m afraid won’t be able to be transferred again if I wanted to subsidize a new phone next month

When your term is up you become month-to-month and it carries on as such. I can't speak for stuff like Koodo but for Rogers your monthly bill doesn't become a BYOP plan so you'll still continue to pay that premium albeit you can now cancel/port your number out at any time.

Technically they can kick you off any grandfathered plan or anything of that sort but I've never actually seen them outright do that. However, if you do try to get a new phone through a 2 year term then you most likely will have to change your plan if its older than a couple years or so. The cut off date is pretty arbitrary and honesty changes all the time.

Best thing to do is to call in to your provider's customer support and just have them verify if you need a plan change or not if you were to get a new phone through them. Then go into a kiosk/store of your provider and ask for literally the same information and have them confirm it as well just to make sure.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

And I think the card lasts for about a year, too, right? Do you get a slightly better price if you go back to the States within that time? I've used Roam for trips there too but never so frequent that I could make use of those offers and reminders they always sent me afterwards.

Literally the first time I've used Roam, so I dunno. I'll have to see next year which is likely the earliest I'll be heading back stateside.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Usually what they do is just raise the price of Grandfathered plans by a little bit more than everything else when they do rate increases so instead of a 3 dollar increase you get a 5 dollar increase. They keep doing that until that plan fits current pricing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol between Samsung and Rogers this ticks all the poo poo boxes

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/08/30/android-6-x-lower-samsung-devices-911-calls-rogers/

quote:

Any Galaxy S7, S7 Edge, Note 5, S6 Edge+, S6 Edge and S6 devices running Android 6.0 or lower on the carrier’s network — which also serves Fido and Chatr — will not be able to make 911 calls due to what the document describes only as “network enhancements” that are set to roll out in the coming weeks.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
This seems illegal as all hell.

And I don't mean in a way where it's like "lol corporations will just get by as usual" but I mean like not being able to make 911 calls regardless of OS seems like the sort of thing that even the most corrupt paid off politician would want to distance themselvers from and call out both Samsung/Rogers.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Mandatory upgrade pathing due to 911 access, neat.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

All it's gonna take is grandma on her grandson's old G6 falling and breaking her hip not being able to make a 911 call and Rogers getting sued to high-heaven for not providing emergency services.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I'm pretty sure 911 access is mandatory for all telephone services, I don't see how they won't get sued or served by the CRTC

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The fix is "Update your goddamn phone software you loving morons, and we won't charge for downloading the update over cellular networks"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grack posted:

The fix is "Update your goddamn phone software you loving morons, and we won't charge for downloading the update over cellular networks"

Oh gently caress off don't defend this poo poo. This is dangerous and likely illegal, and completely unnecessary. A phones OS version has literally nothing to do with whether or not it should be able to call 911 in an actual emergency. I work in infosec too so probably understand more than you the importance of updating operating systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'm just saying that a fix is available, and since it only affects one manufacturer this may not be 100% on Rogers.

And I loving hate Rogers.